Re: Jensen Radio Help for 2000 lt
Believe it or not, I just got around to start on this project. I've been enjoying my riding without music for quite a while now.... so enough of that!
First this was to remove the tupperware. Not hard, I just took my time. I removed the mirrors, air deflectors under the mirrors, left and right side covers, the sting ray, right rear passenger peg, and the right rear panel. Not hard, I had to go get some 3/4 drive torx bits to fit on the end of my cordless drill to make it easier.
Then, I surgically removed the cd player from the side case and all its wires.. Well... I removed most of them anyway.
Then, I removed the radio from the sting ray and used my angle grinder and a flat file to make space on the jensen control unit. Again, took my time and it looks as good as any of the others I've seen on this site. There wer three now unused connectors sitting up on the left side above the gas tank where the radio used to connect.
Looking at the diagram above and using google to translate, I was able to figure out the pin outs on the back of radio for the front and rear speakers. When I looked at the connector, I could clearly see the color of the wires. The good thing about beemers is that the color of the wire never changes. This was easy. Now I new exactly what wires to tap into.The front was much easier than the rear since once of the three connectors up front had four wires for the speakers.
I put the amplifier in the right rear box where the cd player used to be. I then ran my own power directly to the battery... for now. Then I did a quick and dirty connection to the speakers and I had sound! It was that easy.
Enough for today. I'll do a little more tomorrow after I go and get some connectors to make sure that everything looks pretty neat. Then I'll start trying to connect up everything more permanently.
After that, I just need to start using zipties to neatly organize the wires. I looked for a nice switched power source, but didn't find anything I thought could handle and additional 8 amp load. Before its all said and done, I will use an automotive relay to power the radio directly from the battery. I'll get the trigger signal from the power plug for the seat heater. That is much simpler to hookup that most would imagine.
It seems like it will be pretty simple to securely mount the amp where the cd player used to be. Two screws in the front and some sort of foam rubber beneath it for support.
After that, I can work on the cosmetic appearance of the control unit and how it will look. The good thing is that I will have a little extra room in the flip up compartment since I mounted the amp on the side.
All in all, not a bad experience at all. I do happen to be very comfortable hooking up electronic stuff, so I am sure that helped.
Next... I need to find the ipod connector.
2000LT 80K miles and counting...