Jensen Radio Help for 2000 lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Jensen Radio Help for 2000 lt

I got this bike I love with a busted radio

Now I got this Jensen Radio...

where do I start?

Obviously, I'd like to remove the CD changer and consider mounting some of the new hardware in the same spot,

Thanks for any help...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0256.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	37575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0276.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	37576  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 12:33 pm

Re: Jensen Radio Help for 2000 lt

Search for Jensen Install, Jensen 2212 and so forth. And also always look at the bottom of your post and any replies as there is a section with post that are close to what you have read.
There are a good many post on here on how we installed the radio. I did mine about 18 months ago and also at that time added the Sirius module and wired in a J&M CB. Extensive but worth it. If you don't have a Clymers manual to get the color coded wiring diagram for the radio, you MUST have that. I'd order it right now from Amazon if you don't have it.

Regards,

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 5:27 pm Thread Starter

Nope... no Clymers. I do have a PDF of the repair manual though. I am hoping that I can find the information in there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Maurice
2000LT 80K miles and counting...

post #4 of 18 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 8:23 pm

Maurice I don't think you'll find the wiring diagram in there. The Clymers is invaluable if you do anything to the bike.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #5 of 18 Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 1:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

This will help and Google will translate the words for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0044.jpg
Views:	2165
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	37589  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 18 Old Jun 10th, 2013, 2:03 am Thread Starter

Believe it or not, I just got around to start on this project. I've been enjoying my riding without music for quite a while now.... so enough of that!

First this was to remove the tupperware. Not hard, I just took my time. I removed the mirrors, air deflectors under the mirrors, left and right side covers, the sting ray, right rear passenger peg, and the right rear panel. Not hard, I had to go get some 3/4 drive torx bits to fit on the end of my cordless drill to make it easier.

Then, I surgically removed the cd player from the side case and all its wires.. Well... I removed most of them anyway.

Then, I removed the radio from the sting ray and used my angle grinder and a flat file to make space on the jensen control unit. Again, took my time and it looks as good as any of the others I've seen on this site. There wer three now unused connectors sitting up on the left side above the gas tank where the radio used to connect.

Looking at the diagram above and using google to translate, I was able to figure out the pin outs on the back of radio for the front and rear speakers. When I looked at the connector, I could clearly see the color of the wires. The good thing about beemers is that the color of the wire never changes. This was easy. Now I new exactly what wires to tap into.The front was much easier than the rear since once of the three connectors up front had four wires for the speakers.

I put the amplifier in the right rear box where the cd player used to be. I then ran my own power directly to the battery... for now. Then I did a quick and dirty connection to the speakers and I had sound! It was that easy.

Enough for today. I'll do a little more tomorrow after I go and get some connectors to make sure that everything looks pretty neat. Then I'll start trying to connect up everything more permanently.

After that, I just need to start using zipties to neatly organize the wires. I looked for a nice switched power source, but didn't find anything I thought could handle and additional 8 amp load. Before its all said and done, I will use an automotive relay to power the radio directly from the battery. I'll get the trigger signal from the power plug for the seat heater. That is much simpler to hookup that most would imagine.

It seems like it will be pretty simple to securely mount the amp where the cd player used to be. Two screws in the front and some sort of foam rubber beneath it for support.

After that, I can work on the cosmetic appearance of the control unit and how it will look. The good thing is that I will have a little extra room in the flip up compartment since I mounted the amp on the side.

All in all, not a bad experience at all. I do happen to be very comfortable hooking up electronic stuff, so I am sure that helped.

Next... I need to find the ipod connector.

Maurice
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 11th, 2013, 10:38 am

Please take pictures as you go and post. This will add to the library of information that is already here. This is also on my todo list.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #8 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2013, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

OK... here are some pics. I do have a couple of small problems and issues to deal with. But here is what you are looking at if you do it yourself.

The picture below show what it looks like after I removed everything I didn't want. I got rid of the radio and it wire harness. I got rid of the CD changer and pulled all wires associated with all of this stuff. None of it works anyway, which is why I'm doing this. I was aggressive and figured I would put things back if I have to. I am mounting the amp in the side box where my CD used to be, so the odiments box where the old cassette player used to be is now wide open. The way it is here is how it should be, lots of space. While I had the big girl undressed, I wired up an accessory plug. I sealed up all the holes in the box with gorilla tape and used the rubber plug from the old wiring harness to fill the hole.

If you look on the left side, you can see where I tapped into the front speakers. Its really, really easy. Since I was aggressive, I cut the wire and plug I didn't need and made a pig tail of my own to connect to. No problem. It was easy.

Maurice

Last edited by mauricedorris; Jun 13th, 2013 at 6:54 pm.
post #9 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2013, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

You can see here where I tapped into the rear speakers and zip tied the wires together to try to keep it clean looking. Again, its pretty easy.

In hindsight, I could have very, very easily just not attempted this place and ran my own wires to the rear speakers. It would have easy. Either way will work

Maurice
post #10 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2013, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Here is where I placed all the wires and how I zip tied them. Again, my amp is in the right rear box where the CD used to be. These wires follow the same path as the old wires that I pulled. If you notice in the first picture, you can see the black cable hanging that will connect to the controller for the Jensen radio

Maurice
post #11 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2013, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Here is how it looks after its all done. The radio works great. I do have one problem though... my windshield won't go up or down. I didn't think I disconnected anything relating to that. So I will have to troubleshoot.

I have to pull the sting ray once more to clean up the look of the compartment.

The important thing to know here is that you will have to drill a hole to run the controller cable wire through the radio compartment. Do this towards the rear so that no water can leak into the compartment where the cassette player used to be. I uses industrial velco to secure my radio controller

Maurice
post #12 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Thanks for posting the photos and great job! I like the nice clean look the way the controler fits and having the oddment box opened up for other uses is awesome. Also, it looks like the amp is a lot smaller than the CD changer so that opens up more room.

Although my radio / CD changer works fine, I may need to do this during next winter teardown for the space alone.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #13 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2013, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_McG
Thanks for posting the photos and great job! I like the nice clean look the way the controler fits and having the oddment box opened up for other uses is awesome. Also, it looks like the amp is a lot smaller than the CD changer so that opens up more room.

Although my radio / CD changer works fine, I may need to do this during next winter teardown for the space alone.
Thanks. I think it will be a little cleaner once I add a trim piece to the top of the controller. Then I need to secure the amp inside of the box.

The only downside, if there is one, is that the sound quality is not as good IMO. Its not bad though. I really need to get the music wired up in my helmet. Then it will be really good.

Oh... I was going to go out and buy me an IPOD, then I saw the usb/mp3 plug on the back of the radio. In the 4th picture with the amp, you can seem my 4gb usb thumb drive. I just dragged some music to it and plugged it in to the connector. Now it plays the music on my thumb drive. Who needs an ipod?

Maurice
post #14 of 18 Old Jun 14th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Am I correct in presuming that the handlebar and rear-seat controllers are no longer functional?

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
post #15 of 18 Old Jun 14th, 2013, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Yes, they don't work. I may put the Jensen remote there instead. Not sure yet.

Maurice
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 14th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Hmmmmm. Pity. FWIW, I scrapped the POS Clarion on my Cavalcade for a totally killer Boss Audio double DIN unit that looked great and sounded better. Unfortunately, also had to bypass the bike's bar and rear seat controllers, in favor of the small remote that came with the receiver. Decided it was a thorough PITA to use while under way....let alone to keep track of. Threw it in one of the bike's cubbies and just manually tuned the thing after that.

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 14th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Smile Re: Jensen Radio Help for 2000 lt

Just a note, BMW was offering and exchange rebuilt radio for your broken one. Prices very but I went for it and am very pleased, works like new.
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 16th, 2013, 2:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbruce
Just a note, BMW was offering and exchange rebuilt radio for your broken one. Prices very but I went for it and am very pleased, works like new.
Where is the information on this exchange. I didn't hear about this at all.

On the other hand, I have far more features now than I had before. I only had to give up my front and rear controls.

Maurice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in