that is some good riding - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 10:26 am Thread Starter

that is some good riding

This is Gary and Pam of this site..

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 11:20 am

Re: that is some good riding

Whaaaaaa!!!! That's nuts! makes me wish that this snow would go away

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #3 of 24 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 11:22 am

That is a wonderful pic.

post #4 of 24 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 11:34 am Thread Starter

you should read the posts from the killboy photo site on this image.

Why is that "goldwing" pulling that car? was my favorite..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 6:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That is what I call riding on the hairy edge. 2 degrees more and the center stand will hit. A man had got to know his limitations! Whoo Hoo!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 24 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 10:45 pm

I see two what appear to be metal bars wrapping up from the bottom by the rider's ankles (circled in attached) - what are those, part of the trailer hitch?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	37578  

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #7 of 24 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 11:25 pm

That there is some great riding

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #8 of 24 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 11:28 pm

Our LT's....What can't they do. Aren't they just the best! Who, after seeing this piccie, really yearns to get out and go riding?

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #9 of 24 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 1:17 am

What stands out for me is the wear he's showing on the lower fairings - look just below and left of the shift lever.
To do that he's had to have cut the rubber bumpers on his stands, and they show wear too. I've finally quit repairing my fairings and just wear them as a badge of honor.
Cool photo and nice riding - especially pulling a trailer.
Tons of respect to his wife too.
post #10 of 24 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 6:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
I see two what appear to be metal bars wrapping up from the bottom by the rider's ankles (circled in attached) - what are those, part of the trailer hitch?
that is where you put down the center stand and side stand.

post #11 of 24 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
you should read the posts from the killboy photo site on this image.

Why is that "goldwing" pulling that car? was my favorite..
Do you have the link to the picture so we can have a short time of entertainment while reading these comments on killboy?

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #12 of 24 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 9:09 am

Quote:
that is where you put down the center stand and side stand.
Wow, one day you are just an anonymous idiot and the next you are a renowned fool, I guess the latter is where I fit today.

Now that you say it I can see that now, guess I have never seen what my LT looks like in running configuration, the stands are always down when I see it. I guess I never realized they came up that far on the bike when retracted - oh well thanks for the answer anyway

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #13 of 24 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 10:14 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow, one day you are just an anonymous idiot and the next you are a renowned fool, I guess the latter is where I fit today.

Now that you say it I can see that now, guess I have never seen what my LT looks like in running configuration, the stands are always down when I see it. I guess I never realized they came up that far on the bike when retracted - oh well thanks for the answer anyway

No worries, the picture does give a great angle of what a heeled over LT looks like taking task to the curves...

post #14 of 24 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 1:30 pm

Dude how do you sit on your seat? you have some huge balls!
post #15 of 24 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker46514
Do you have the link to the picture so we can have a short time of entertainment while reading these comments on killboy?

+1
post #16 of 24 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 2:07 pm

Quote:
No worries, the picture does give a great angle of what a heeled over LT looks like taking task to the curves...

I think it also demonstrates that the LT could really use a nice hubcap too.
post #17 of 24 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiler
+1

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Jodi Huffman Wow, how did this one end up?

killboy.com Made it just fine, happens a lot...kinda scary all the same.

Jared LoPiano The Goldwing's capabilities are really amazing.

Sergiu Bogdan This one's not a goldwing

Ken King This is a Beemer from Florida. Like the dragon slayer sticker on his top pack. As it was he that almost got slayed.

Phil Lemin brave pillions

Kara Carver-Kirk Wow!!!!!! Least the dragon didn't bite them!! Geez! Glad they made it through.

Tammy Kay Bates Morton Hmmm. At least they made it.

Ty Danford That dude's probably been dragging a knee longer than I've been alive. He's got this.

Tony Nguyen Wow looks like he was fixing to pull a "lowside"

Wednesday at 3:44am via mobile ∑ 1..

Bryan Finster While I agree that pushing it on a strange road is a bad idea, I don't think you can assume you can push it on a road you know well either. Every corner is new and driving faster than you can see is just a bad idea. Falling rocks, wildlife, oil slicks, etc. can really ruin your day. Last year I did a pretty hard corner on my RT and found the gas slick from the wreck I heard about. The whole bike jumped sideways. Super fun.

Mike Sastra Gary & Pam have been doing this longer than I can remember!

Chuck Allred speed bumps would stop this just kidding lol

Itchy Bruddah Call me old fashioned but, I don't know that it's a "motorcycle" anymore if it has reverse.

Sherry Campbell Lamar Katz I am soooo glad to have a TRIKE!!! I love it...feels like a convertible!!

Simon Clement Damn Rowdy Ass Beemers!

Les Ramsey Sr. Hey Killboy watch this !!

Juan Wall I'll say, wow!

Robertv Keeling Not a good idea on that road.....

Dooley Wood Never ride beyond your talent and skill level. I know I'm not ready to slay the dragon on my Harley, my Genesis coup, well, been there done that.

Jo Smith Morris A bike...towing a car...on the Dragon. Brave...or stupid??! I don't care how experienced one is, some things just aren't a very smart thing to do. Glad they made it.

Greg Turp He might know that road better than most. He might also be well within his skill and abilities. And that comment about reverse, ignorance. I love my LT.

Greg Turp @ Jo, its a trailer.

Joshua Dean It's His Bike, Let him Ride the Wheels off of it..... Nice Entry, Very Talented with a Trailer in Pull

Ryan Blackwell Haha yes.. no more pulling cars and dragging rear stands.. awesome.

Tom Mitchell I have a 06 K1200 Lt and pull a Unigo trailer..... No problem if you know your limits.... Drive the tires off it........

Mike Dominguez If you are a gazillionaire and you can afford to spend a year in physical rehab then it's all good... The best riders on the greatest superbikes in the world crash all the time...

Micah Wright LoL, you all should read through the comments again. It sounds like the generation of duh is here in full effect. Safe travels BMW couple. Shame on you Killboy for preaching. Do what you do best and take pictures. The rest will sort itself out.

Jodi Huffman Why do some people always have to make comments about something not being a bike for one reason or another. It shouldn't matter what Make it is, if it has two or three wheels, reverse or no reverse. We are all out there for the same reason, because we love to ride!!!!

Zach Dalmau doing that while towing a trailer is just asking for trouble someday...

David Kintz Amazing! And scary! I can't imagine that bike leaning any more without losing traction. That BMW must have some really sticky tires!

Bob Grizz Nash I'm surprised there ain't sparks!

Bryan Finster He did pay for the WHOLE tire.

Pat Skaggs BMW K 1200lt tugging a bushtech with a swivel hitch. ATGATT for both pilot and pillion = AWESOME style and control.

Dave Clark If you're dragging pegs, you either don't know, or you don't respect the limits of your bike.

Rick Krieger Amazing skills. I would be cleaning my shorts!

Brad Miles Too bad none of them can idle yet.

Bryan Finster Dave, pegs are limit feelers.

Shane Smoker That centerstand needs to come off.

Craig Fiedor If he got his body off the inside of the bike even a little the bike wouldn't be at such a severe lean. He's actually countering it slightly requiring more lean angle to negotiate the curve.

Bryan Finster The LT saddle isn't very friendly for ass sliding.

Jan Fryer Specker sometime ya just gotta comit to it and hope for the best,but this guy looks like he knows what he is doing ,but I but the wife is thinking "oh Shit"

Thomas Hess dang, that kbike is getting a workout!

Donald Berry Soon as the under carriage hits the ground the tires will loose traction and the road rash will commence..... and the loss of a beautiful bike...... Great photo but guys please watch out for the precious cargo you are hauling........ Glad to see they wear leathers..... They will soon need it

Bryan Finster At that point, the frame is lifting away from the road.

Cliff Zuckero This isn't amazing skills. It's a picture of a bike using pipes for a kickstand. So it's either not moving or this is seconds before it dropped.

Micah Wright Bunch of arm chair commentators... I like and enjoy Killboy's pics greatly, but I can't help but wonder if he was camouflaged and couldn't be seen, how many people would ride their bikes, cars and trucks to some of the extremes we have seen.

Greg Manning Wow, lots of keyboard cowboys here. Quit bitching about someone else's ride, and go ride your own! Sheesh...

Phil Ross Lots of sanctimonious hypocrisy above. It doesn't matter what bike you are riding, it's not the bike getting you around that corner. It's your skill and judgment. There are a lot more unsuitable riders than unsuitable bikes.

Harry Clark Maybe I'm a little nuts, but I loved dragging pipes on my wing just not with a trailer. And my first time through the dragon was on a wing pulling a trailer. NEVER AGAIN

Kim Gill best is people bitching about people bitching and then me bitching about that! priceless. Know your limits- that is terrible body position... carrying a passenger and pulling a car? really and someone can't make a comment. Who's the keyboard cowboys? lol get a life.

Dale Hazelton If it was 'lean hard' or 'go into other lane' I'd lean. No one rides a beemer tourer two up with a trailer unless they have skills.

Christian L Martin noone leans any bike that far unless they have mad skills kudos to the rider keep on truckin brother

David Mansfield And with a passenger who is trusting the pilot. I always crank it down a notch or two with my wife or daughters on the back. And to the ones giving the rider props: It is a public road with uncertainty around the blind corners. It is irresponsible.

Jeff Critelli He can do this because the cup holder is counterbalancing him...

David Ryder He doesn't need counterbalancing, Jeff. His shaft drive's spinning in the opposite direction of his lean angle, so it's all good. And I don't think he's actually pulling that there car...I think that car belongs to an undercover Homeland Security officer and it's sporting one of those mirrors that they use to check under vehicles for bombs. Being that it's a motorcycle made in another country, you can't blame them for their suspicions.
Dalton Abdalla Marcelo Vargas, enjoy it

Luc Des Rochers Jo Smith Morris A, Wake up, hello ...whouhoo, it's a trailer not a car

John Cockrell LOL could be Glenda and me

Christopher Souris He's just grinding in the necessary clearances.....but the pax looks a bit tense...

William T. Smith Just riding a bike as it was designed to be. Obviously the skill level is there as the rider appears to be looking ahead into the corner. I would also bet the passenger has been there before and is game. Great pic!

Tarek Hussein That's my friend!

Paul Knight I know Gary and Pam and they are safe riders. I would think that the camera angle shows more lean than there really is, but it sure is a good picture of the capabilities of the LT....

Pam Valentine Thats my wife and I getting our heart rate up like seniors are encouraged to do. Actually the complements and critique are a little unfounded. With 2 up the big girl sits deep into her suspenders so you come into contact early and the pic angle exaggerates it a bit. Tour pack and bags are empty and there is only 16 lbs of tongue weight. The real fun is in the dirt but age and injuries have forced me to take it out on the road. My passion for corners is not as great as my fear of crashing and God Willing, perceived abilities won't exceed actual abilities.

Mike Sastra Gary, think I am gonna blow this up and make a poster for the office to stimulate riders here.

Pam Valentine You're referring to you of course? The Road King can be taken down to the cast iron arm that supports the floorboard. At which point it unloads the rear tyre allowing the most stimulating 3 point drift one can experience this side of Disney.Don't ask me how I know

Mike Sastra Oh yea, you had a RK

Darlene Smith scarey. not me.a

David Shealey I had a black LT like that, no trailer though. It is evident that rider knows what he is doing. Notice some silver paint off the engine fairing on the left side. On the LT, the first thing to touch is the centerstand, but it will move up some, then ...See More

Pam Valentine Great observational skills David and an accurate description of the order in which everything takes its turn kissing the road. With Pam on the back I won't lean until body work scuffs and I'm guessing in this pic I'm still a couple inches from there.

post #18 of 24 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 3:53 pm

Thank you
post #19 of 24 Old Feb 1st, 2013, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Craig Fiedor If he got his body off the inside of the bike even a little the bike wouldn't be at such a severe lean. He's actually countering it slightly requiring more lean angle to negotiate the curve.
This was exactly my first thought when I saw this pic. Lean to the inside and you can hold the bike upright with more traction...and more turn.

'15 GTLE

post #20 of 24 Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 7:18 am

So that's how my center stand got all chewed up!

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT
post #21 of 24 Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 1:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahon
This was exactly my first thought when I saw this pic. Lean to the inside and you can hold the bike upright with more traction...and more turn.
Tough crowd!!!!
post #22 of 24 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 12:41 pm

Garage

Great for a commercial clip.
You know every year when the comparison is made between top touring bikes; like Voyager, Goldwing and BMW. Well just insert this as a video clip and there would be nothing else to discuss. Great riding skills.
ride safe
post #23 of 24 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 1:03 pm

Quote:
It's just the lighting. The rear one is the foot lever for the manual center stand and the front one is the lever for the sidestand.

But anyway..........

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Last edited by blueknightga6; Feb 3rd, 2013 at 2:47 pm.
post #24 of 24 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 2:42 pm

The LT is meant for fun and touring! And as we all know the, the center stand pads ARE NOT square, they're angled. Ok, so the one on the footpeg caught me off guard on GA HWY 17, I didn't think I was that far over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn2588.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	37599   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn2657.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	37600  

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in