new 1200 windshield - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

new 1200 windshield

hi folks i need help.just picked up new bike today from lone star bomb in austin,tx.best group of people i have ever done spent my bike money with. now have said all that here is the concern after riding home only a 115 miles my neck hurts so bad i can't tell you how bad the pain is. it came with large windshield and i tried it all the way up and ever way i could agist it.i would not think this is normal for such a fine bike. i am 5'8'' can anyone help? thanks,terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 8:28 pm
RMW

Terry,

This bike is one of the most wind protected bikes there is. With your hight and the tall windshield buffeting does not seem likely. Barring any medical issues my guess would be you were a bit tense on that first ride, I know I was. If you haven't been riding for a few years (as was the case with me when I got mine) it will take a while for your body to adjust.

Now, the other more likely explanation is that you are experiencing the same pain in the neck we all feel after massive checking account decompression.

If you do find that it is a windshield problem for you there are a bunch of fine aftermarket alternatives. Using the Search feature on the site will almost always yield good info on nearly any topic.

Welcome and enjoy the ride.

BTW, consider filling out a bit of your bio so we can get to know you.

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 9:45 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry123
hi folks i need help.just picked up new bike today from lone star bomb in austin,tx.best group of people i have ever done spent my bike money with. now have said all that here is the concern after riding home only a 115 miles my neck hurts so bad i can't tell you how bad the pain is. it came with large windshield and i tried it all the way up and ever way i could agist it.i would not think this is normal for such a fine bike. i am 5'8'' can anyone help? thanks,terry
How long have you been riding and what type of helmet are you using? By the way, having the windshield all the way up can have the same effect as having it all the way down, based on how fast you are going. In the all the way up position you can actually have the wind go up and over the windshield, and you, and then push your helmet from behind as it fills the void in the wind pocket you have created. Just as fatiguing on the neck as having the wind hit you straight in the face. Slowly adjust your shield up or down (based on speed) till you get that negative resistance. (no backward or forward pressure. That is one of the benefits of the LT, you can adjust it on the fly to meet your needs. Of course none of the above is relevant if you have a good old Texas, Oklahoma or Kansas cross wind to deal with. Lived in west Texas for a few years and man can the wind blow in that area of the country.

May we never find the end of the road!

oknplm

Perry Ridgway

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:49 pm

I remember riding mine home and thinking this isn't as comfortable as it should be. It was me i was all tensed up. I had just never been on something that big and with so many buttons to figure out. Mine had the low euro screen and after my first long trip I got rid of that and got a CeeBailey #2 with wings and at -4. I am 5'9" and I usually keep it all the way down or just a bit up so I can still look over it. I find that on the freeway with a lot of traffic you get so much dirty air that nothing works great. The first time I got out on the open road with no traffic (with CB screen) I found just how smooth this bike really is. I have a bad neck and lower back but I can go farther on the LT than I can in the car.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 1:15 am
Ted

I agree with those who have already replied - it sounds like you were a bit tense!

99% of the time I ride with the screen (stock) in it's lowest position. I'm 6'0, and if I raise it, it's only to the point where I can still see over it. For me, any higher creates a backdraft which is moderately uncomfortable.

Relax, trust your balance, and enjoy the ride!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 6:47 am

Many of us replace the OEM windshields with one by Cee Bailey's. CLICK HERE to check out their website. Their shields are light-years more clear than the OEM, and their #2 design alleviates the buffeting problems than many of us have experienced with the OEM shields. Now all you have to do is figure out what height you want. This is not an easy task. The best thing to do is find someone in your area with a CB shield fitted so you can sit on the bike and see if you like it or not.

FYI: Cee Bailey's shields are acrylic and NOT made from polycarbonate, like the OEM shield. This is a major cause of concern for some forum members. I am not one of them.
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up new windshield

thanks guys for all the help. your right i was very nervous and maybe today we be better after getting use to it. thanks again for the help. Terry
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 1:44 pm

Terry, I had same problem only it was always the left side of my neck. Hurt like H--LL. I tried adjusting the windshield but did'nt help much, then I adjusted the winglets under the mirrors and no more pain.

Pat Rourke
White Lake,MI.
2002 K1200 LTC, Champange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 6:28 pm

I agree the winglets make a big difference, play around with them you will see.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 11:54 pm

Pain in the Neck

In reference to your pain in the neck the replys have been pretty much right on. Tension and stress causes us to tighten our shoulder muscles and sometimes elevate them. Gripping the grips too hard or just the throttle grip will also cause neck muscle imbalance. I agree also with the people who posted, being able to look clearly over the shield is importent, especially when new to a bike. I do not believe the bike or its shield is causing your neck problems though. I ride with a throttle rocker all the time so I can ease up on the grip and relax my hands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in