Help Clutch lever frozen - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

Help Clutch lever frozen

I had a ball for the shift linkage break last week (the one that always seems to break) and finally got it back together today. When I went to check the bike the clutch lever only moves about a 1/4 of an inch. It was moving fine last week after the linkage broke. Shifter moves and bike goes into first with the engine off and back to neutral but I'm afraid to try to shift it with the engine running. Only thing I did was use a heat gun to try and melt the loctite on the broken ball stud but when that didn't work I had to take the linkage piece off. I only removed the footpeg plate to do the job and I am amazed I was able to accomplish it as things sure are tight in there. I did have the clutch and servo changed a couple of months ago at the dealer and haven't had any problems with it since then. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 7:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Help Clutch lever frozen

Interesting, as the two things should not be related. Perhaps you somehow damaged the hydraulic line or slave cylinder with the heat gun, but I don't know if it (the line) is even close to that area. I think it is, though. Perhaps you somehow pinched the line off when reinstalling the side plate. That seems the most likely possibility to me. The other possibilities I can think of would be something caught in the lever, a clogged return port in the master cylinder, or a broken spring on the clutch. All of these seem pretty unlikely to me. Loosen your side plate bolts up a few turns each and see what happens. If that doesn't work, see if the clutch will bleed normally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:32 pm

From all the way out on the lever?

One time I changed the clutch fluid along with the brake fluid. Brake first clutch second. For some reason I assumed the clutch lever should act just like the brake lever?!

I drove my self crazzy trying to figure out how the clutch system could loose all that pressure? But then I tried shifting with the engine running--worked perfectly; has ever since then.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 9 Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The line to the slave does go down just above the shift linkage area and if you got too much heat in that area you could have damaged the hose. You can check by removing the tip over cover and lower fairing on the right side and open the bleed port while squeezing the lever. If it does not move then you have damaged the hose.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Jan 28th, 2013, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the data, I'll try to check the hose bleed port tomorrow when I get off work.
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 3:03 pm Thread Starter

Well I did get the covers off and tried the bleed and nothing came out. So I have removed the rest of the covers and the fuel tank. I see the banjo bolt on the slave cylinder through the area where the left footpeg goes and I am gong to try and find some metric allen sockets so that with a long extension I can hopefully break it loose and see if any fluids come out. Of course we don't have any stores in this little town I live in that sell them so I'll be heading to Jacksonville tomorrow and try Sears. Question I have now is has anyone else changed out there Clutch hose? Manual says I'll have to remove the whee/final drive/ and swingarm-driveshaft assy. I'm hoping someone out there has been down this road and has a better way.
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 8:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Sorry, just not enough oom to get tools in between the slave cylinder and the swing arm. If you want an idea of what it takes download and view the weep hole drilling video at the top of the page. Part A will get you far enough to get to the hoses.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #8 of 9 Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 8:32 pm

Can one not take off the rear wheel and using extension(s) get to the banjo bolts? This was suggested to me in a thread regarding clutch fluid leak.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #9 of 9 Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 8:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You might be able to get to it with the rear wheel removed, I forgot they are at an angle and not facing the swing arm. I suppose the hose could be replaced this way but the bottom crush washer would need a dab of grease to hold it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slave.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	37591  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in