Steering damper bolt removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 4:50 am Thread Starter

Steering damper bolt removal

Greetings people

Just a simple question. Remember when you last removed your steering damper? You know the bolt that goes in from beneath the lower fork clamps; the one we need to use a bit of loctite on...when that is loosened from the damper body, should it not just fall out cleanly? It's just a simple bolt isn't it? No unusual shape that could cause it to want to remain in the lower fork clamp assay?

Cheers and kindest regards to all

Paul Harrington
AU
E: [email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Re: Steering damper bolt removal

I just mine this week and be patient. Seems it is just spinning in there, but it separates from the fork assembly. (Either fine threads or a lot of them.) The bolt wants to stay in the damper, but at least you won't lose it.

John Maki
Cederedge, Co

'00 K1200Lt
Unigo Trailer
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:39 pm
cws

Garage

Hey Paul, did you wind up buying a HyperPro?

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2013, 12:08 am

Looks Iike I misspoke. From comments on the forum, that bolt is easy to round off if you don't use the right torx and are not careful. Several have had to then drill off the head.

John Maki
Cederedge, Co

'00 K1200Lt
Unigo Trailer
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2013, 2:07 am Thread Starter

Hi Chris and others.

Yes, I've just taken delivery of the Hyperpro. It is quite awesome in its design. The torx bolt that goes through the lower fiej clamp is replaced with this damper so it needs to come out. I've sucessfully removed the old damper but the original torx bolt is loose but seems to resist just falling back out of the lower clamp. This is my quandery. Any suggestions?

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul
AU

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2013, 9:56 am

Guess what I have been doing the past weekend I blew it! and ended up drilling the bolt off - bummer!

The damper is toast. New one ordered with HUMONGOUS /$

Born to be wild so why not

post #7 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsjohn
Looks Iike I misspoke. From comments on the forum, that bolt is easy to round off if you don't use the right torx and are not careful. Several have had to then drill off the head.
Just replaced mine not too long ago... and yes it stripped - however it stripped while going in (guess the locktite dried before I knew it) - but was torqued *almost* correctly...

Upon removal the bolt just fell out - not sure what's holding up Paul's.... Can you knock it out from above once the dampener is off or can you put pressure on it from above while loosening it?

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 28th, 2013, 8:17 pm

It all depends on your luck, on the quality of your Torx driver and on how steady your hand is - to hold the driver perfectly vertical..

On an earlier LT, I stripped the damn bolt. On my recently-sold '01, I was able to unscrew it (even without heating the parts).

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #9 of 11 Old Jul 17th, 2014, 6:50 pm

What size drill is needed to remove the head of the |POS TORX bolt once the TORX slots have stripped? Yep. mine is stripped. Heated the damn thing with a heat gun...a BB-Q lighter...Nadda...

Thanks for any help and advice!

rgds

Karl
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbaltz View Post
What size drill is needed to remove the head of the |POS TORX bolt once the TORX slots have stripped? Yep. mine is stripped. Heated the damn thing with a heat gun...a BB-Q lighter...Nadda...

Thanks for any help and advice!

rgds

Karl
Forget trying to get heat in there while it is mounted. Just start with a drill bit about the size of the inside of the torx fitting. Once you get about 1/8 inch in below the bottom of the torx pocket, switch to a slightly larger bit size and go the same depth. You should pretty much eat up all of the torx pattern to get the head off. You need to clear the 8mm size of the shaft to get the head off. If that doesn't do it go one more size up and the head will pop right off.

You don't want to drill too deep because you will either damage the ball fitting that the bolt passes through in the frame or chew up all of the threaded portion down to the damper and not have anything to grab to remove the rest of the bolt once you get the head off.

Once the head pops off, remove the bolt on the back side of the damper then the unit will lift off. Now just grab the remaining threaded portion of the bolt with vice grips and it should come right off. If necessary, now is the time to use a little heat since you can hit exactly the right spot.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 8:50 pm

Thanks Steve.

Worked like a charm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in