NO BRAKES------Hellllllllpp - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 10:28 am Thread Starter

NO BRAKES------Hellllllllpp

I start the bike and on the way to work all of a sudden I have no brakes with one flashing and a solid red lights. I stop and restart the bike and everything is fine for a couple of miles and it does it again.
searching the site, find out about res. levels and over fill all the res. The battery is new and voltage is good @ 13.8 v. switches seem ok, the brake lights come on and the servos start like they should until I have the failure.
Is there any relays on anything else to check before the dealer gets it?
The Bike is a 2002 k1200lt with 100k mi. any help will be very welcomed.
Does anybody know of a rebuilder of the moldulaters?
Thank you .........Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 11:53 am

Garage
Re: NO BRAKES------Hellllllllpp

the brakes on your 02' (Brembo branded, correct) are not that sensitive to over fill. check your reservoirs and pads. also check for function, rather than just the wig wag.

If needed, I have to get rid of an ABS module (moving) so at least you have a cheap source for a new one..

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 18 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

The 2002 has the BMW brakes with servo pumps. The servo pumps do not operate when the lights start flashing, so no brakes.
If you have a ABS module that will work on this scooter I would be happy to buy it from you...Let me know..........Thanks...Steve

post #4 of 18 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 3:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The one solid and the the other flashing is not a good sign. Best to get a readout from the dealer or some that has a GS-911 unit. When was the last time the brake were flushed? It is an annual on one circuit and bi-annual on the other. Some have seen recovery from a good flushing but do not hold your breath. Module Masters in ID has claimed to fix the oler unit and some here have had mixed results. About all they can do is replace brushes in the servo pump motors. Best to get the fault code read out so you know what the issue is.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old Jan 28th, 2013, 8:19 pm Thread Starter

Well put the bike in the shop Saturday for trouble shooting. Should find out Tuesday what the verdict is. Does any one know of a shop that can rebuild the ABS/brake system modulator?.................Steve
post #6 of 18 Old Jan 29th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
The one solid and the the other flashing is not a good sign. Best to get a readout from the dealer or some that has a GS-911 unit. When was the last time the brake were flushed? It is an annual on one circuit and bi-annual on the other. Some have seen recovery from a good flushing but do not hold your breath. Module Masters in ID has claimed to fix the oler unit and some here have had mixed results. About all they can do is replace brushes in the servo pump motors. Best to get the fault code read out so you know what the issue is.
One option.......

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 18 Old Jan 29th, 2013, 8:41 pm

No brakes at all or no power assist?

B D R
post #8 of 18 Old Jan 30th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
No brakes at all or no power assist?
Yeah I'd think it'd be no servo assist. I've had it happen before.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #9 of 18 Old Jan 30th, 2013, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

Talked to the dealer today, the codes say internal problems. There was no servo assist and no braking to speak of..
Module masters said they couldn't do it yet. Automotive scientific said they could for $900.00.
Ordered a new module, the dealer gave me a 12% discount on the thing. Should get the bike back next Wednesday. The dealer let me use a loaner bike that has no shield. Can't wait to get mine back...............Steve
post #10 of 18 Old Jan 30th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2steve
Talked to the dealer today, the codes say internal problems. There was no servo assist and no braking to speak of. Module masters said they couldn't do it yet. Automotive scientific said they could for $900.00.
Ordered a new module, the dealer gave me a 12% discount on the thing. Should get the bike back next Wednesday. The dealer let me use a loaner bike that has no shield. Can't wait to get mine back...............Steve
I'm confused. are the servo pumps inside the ABS module? $900 to rebuild/repair existing abs module? How much was a new one from dealer w/ the discount? How much was the one being offered by Hoss in this thread?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #11 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 11:20 am

Even with discount, I suspect is about double the repair cost quoted.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #12 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Even with discount, I suspect is about double the repair cost quoted.
that's kinda what I was guessing. If so, it sounds like he's spending more than necessary.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #13 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 12:22 pm

More than necessary can be relative, though, and it is his money to spend.... with our without our blessings.

While I doubt I would follow the same path, I have, one multiple occasions, paid more for something for peace of mind. Rebuilding pump is still an iffy proposition. I would be ok with used pump, however.

To each their own.....

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #14 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
More than necessary can be relative, though, and it is his money to spend.... with our without our blessings.

While I doubt I would follow the same path, I have, one multiple occasions, paid more for something for peace of mind. Rebuilding pump is still an iffy proposition. I would be ok with used pump, however.

To each their own.....
While Hoss aka Shoswell didn't mention a specific amount, he claimed to have a "cheap" new one, which sounded like it just needed to be shipped.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #15 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 5:22 pm

There ain't nothin like the feeling you get when you have to stand on the binders and you know it's new, not rebuilt.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #16 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

The price of the new pump module was a little over twice the cost of rebuilding my old one ($2100) plus replacing and flushing - if it could be rebuilt. There would have been a $55.00 charge for testing it to determine if it was rebuild-able.
The module that was offered for sale was not the right one, He had the Brembo brakes and mine has the BMW fully integrated brakes.The dealer and myself checked e-bay with out any luck, there was one but could not be positive it was the correct one.
I took the easy, faster, more ease-of -mind way out and got a new unit. Instead of replacing the old gal with new next year, I'll wait till the following year. Thats what I told my sweet Bride anyway..............Steve
post #17 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 8:58 pm

That's a hard pill to swallow.. But I guess you did the right thing..A good investment if she's an otherwise good bike...

Note to self.. Bleed brakes on the CLC....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #18 of 18 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2steve
The price of the new pump module was a little over twice the cost of rebuilding my old one ($2100) plus replacing and flushing - if it could be rebuilt. There would have been a $55.00 charge for testing it to determine if it was rebuild-able.
The module that was offered for sale was not the right one, He had the Brembo brakes and mine has the BMW fully integrated brakes.The dealer and myself checked e-bay with out any luck, there was one but could not be positive it was the correct one.
I took the easy, faster, more ease-of -mind way out and got a new unit. Instead of replacing the old gal with new next year, I'll wait till the following year. Thats what I told my sweet Bride anyway..............Steve
Thanks Steve for the clarification. Nothing like taking speculation out of the conversation by getting the skinny straight from the source. Alluding to what John said, that's one helluva pill to have to swallow.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in