Potential new guy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 8:30 am Thread Starter

Potential new guy

I was recently granted the gift of taking my wife for her first ride on my current bike. She now has expressed interest in riding more often (just not on the current bike) and it has brought me to this forum. We looked at the Wing (ergo's not good for me-she likes the back seat though) and the K1200LT. We both like the BMW. Anything I need to be aware of in certain year models, and what about mileage? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 9:05 am

Re: Potential new guy

Read, read, read! but don't be scared off! More goes right with this bike than goes wrong. The bike is expensive to maintain by the dealers but if you have any mechanical ability you can save a lot by do it yourself maint. My wife sat on the back of the LT and said "oh, you can get one of these". The best MC purchase I ever made. Bought my 03 which is a great year used in 05 it had only 1300 miles on it now 84K. Touring miles don't hurt as long as the normal maintenance has been done. My opinion pre-05 seats are more comfortable for the pilot, but 05 and up have a bit more HP and apparently easier to handle at low speeds. Try it you'll like it.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 9:26 am

Welcome Christopher,
I purchased Jenny (05LT) 4 yrs ago. As yourself, I researched read motorcycle reviews asked friends and co-workers their opinions and it comes down to this.

What's your riding style and use of the bike. All things made will have problems at one point in time. are you willing to repair or replace..I have not had any malfunction with my bike and have called upon members of this forum for with maintenance issue or just general questions.. Lots of Subject matter experts on board and are will to assist when called upon!!
The LT is a heavy bike, an could have issues at slow speeds take you time and become familiar with your chosen horse and you are in for the time of your life !!
Best damn bike I have ever owned and the attention she demands when in motion.. My spouse loves here floor boards and armrest, have to wake her up during long hauls...lol

05 LT (ocean blue) "Jenny"

post #4 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 9:43 am

I purchased my 2006 last summer. I read a great deal before the purchase and more since. Most of what I have seen says the GW is more comfortable and cheaper to maintain, and has more options to make it unique. The same reviews will say the BMW is more fun to ride and although not quite as comfortable, still gives a great comfortable ride.

If you are mechanically inclined, the cost of ownership seems negligible. I'm getting ready to take all the tupperware off and do some maintenance, and am not nervous at all about. In fact am looking forward to it.

The Final Drives are not real issues, and yes I have dropped mine a couple times. It is a bit top heavy, but as you get used to it, that no longer is an issue. You learn to be careful on those really slow turn arounds.

Before I bought mine I was looking for anything from 2006 to newer. I think if cost is a significant factor the older ones are great deals too.
post #5 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 12:08 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the relies thus far. I have MBS (multiple bike syndrome) and my first foray into a Beemer. Would be trading in a Rocket III Touring to get this. Not opposed to doing a lot of the maintenance myself (have owned several land rovers over the years). My main concern was how many miles can these things go and the issue with the final drive.
post #6 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
. My main concern was how many miles can these things go and the issue with the final drive.
Very small percentage got the final drive issue. These things go for miles and miles and miles. Had I listened to all the problems you see on the board, I would have missed out on 80K miles of never having been standed fun. I've had two problems while traveling since I got the bike in 05 with having to stop and get my vehicle fixed. Both were cars not the bike.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Welcome,
I came to the LT from a GL1800, and I am not sure where the other poster got his information about the comparison....The wing is powerful, and it is a great straight line couch...talk about wife falling asleep, I had the same problem as the rider...boring...Yes, there are more knick knacks available for the wing, but then you need to buy extra crap to get up to the level of stuff you find on the LT stock, and forget the adjustable windshield...not available on the wing at all. I never even thought the windshield would be something I cared about, as no bike I had before had an adjustable one....Oops! best feature ever!! The bike is heavy, yes, but so is the wing...hard to handle at slow speeds...I'm not sure who started that myth, but I don't have any problems with it...a blast to ride?...no comparison to the wing...It is just plain fun to ride period! My personal recommendation is to get a 99 or 2000, simple abs system, has all the same stuff as the newer models, except maybe front end geometry, 2% more HP, automatic centerstand, built in GPS with unsupported map updates..Can't see spending the extra amount on a newer model.....my 2k seems to handle great, has enough horsepower to get me in trouble in 2.5 seconds, and parking the bike on the stand doesn't seem to be even the tiniest problem.Plus the wife loves the comfort of the heated seat and backrest, and the passenger stereo controls...The absolute bonus of the whole thing is that the LT is the sleeper deal of the century...best bike ever, for a really reasonable price...I mean look what an HD costs...and who would want to ride one for any distance??? (Although the black leather pirate look is really awesome..don't you think?)
My advise? Find the LT you really like, with the lowest mileage, for the lowest price, and buy it! Ride it like you stole it..(You know what that means, right?) and find out what we all know already....Ok, I'm not a fanatic, I just want to be buried with my LT...

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 14 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
My main concern was how many miles can these things go and the issue with the final drive.
In regard to your concern about how many miles these things go, the jury is still out. There are a few guys on this forum who have racked up more than 200K and are still going. There are also a few guys here who have figured out the final drive problem and can fix them if you do have a problem but the vast majority of us have not experienced final drive failure. After riding my two LT's for more than 55K combined with no final drive issues, I am not expecting to have any but it is nice to know that help is available if it does happen.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #9 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 2:31 pm

I'm another newb. A least I will be once spring arrives. Just bought a 2001 K1200LT with 85K clicks on it and I'm looking forward to a whole new riding experience. I've been a Honda guy since my first 90 back in 1970. I currently have a 750 Shadow cruiser. I want to ride from Tofino, B.C. to Cape Spear, Nfld. to celebrate my retirement in 2014 and figured that while the Shadow would do the job, I'd cripple myself in the process. I have no mechanical ability whatsoever. And there isn't a reliable BMW agent in town. So I'm going to be looking on here a lot for all kinds of advice as I get ready for my bucket list ride. You have been warned! ;>)
post #10 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoink
I'm another newb. A least I will be once spring arrives. Just bought a 2001 K1200LT with 85K clicks on it and I'm looking forward to a whole new riding experience. I've been a Honda guy since my first 90 back in 1970. I currently have a 750 Shadow cruiser. I want to ride from Tofino, B.C. to Cape Spear, Nfld. to celebrate my retirement in 2014 and figured that while the Shadow would do the job, I'd cripple myself in the process. I have no mechanical ability whatsoever. And there isn't a reliable BMW agent in town. So I'm going to be looking on here a lot for all kinds of advice as I get ready for my bucket list ride. You have been warned! ;>)
I used to live on Vancouver Island. The K1200LT will be a superb mount for that trip. Wife and I took about a 4,000 mile trip on two bikes this summer. That is the longest on the K12 so far for me. My longest trip was 10,125 miles from Houston to Fairbanks and back in 1980 on an R90S and the wife on a 600cc /2 conversion. Will be glad to help as will the rest of the list. Go for it!

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #11 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I only put 76,000 miles on my 99 LT and the only problem I with it was a broken throttle cable. I would still have it if there was a dealer fairly close.
post #12 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 5:16 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement. I'm not a new rider by any means, and this would be my first experience with BMW. Have already decided on either an 05, or an 08. My local dealer has both and will be test riding them Tuesday with the SO on board-hers will be the decision that counts. First thing she wants to add would be armrests, thank god this bike already has a cup holder. Lol
post #13 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 5:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Test ride both.

Questions, PM me or call me. I am in Fulshear.

Dan.
post #14 of 14 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 5:38 pm

One day my wife told me that we needed a more comfortable bike for her to be a passenger on.

It was hard choosing between the gold Wing and the BMW. The Gold Wing roasted my left foot when I was in city traffic during the summer, think 100f or higher. My wife lived the adjustable windshirld because I could raise it to the point where she wasn't buffeted by wind. I also liked the ride a lot, I could feel the road.

it was my first time with ABS brakes so I had to get used to being able to stand on the "binders" way past the point my gut was comfortable.

For me, one of the biggest benefits of owning the LT is right here, this community.

A mojor downside to the LT is how it handles below 5-7mph. so far, I bought my 00 in 01, I've been able to handle it,man handle it. but, I've dropped her quite a few times since 01. I've learned that I have to look carefully at the pavement to see if there is any slope, especially in the shade.

When you test ride the LT take her for at least a 5-10 spin on your own to get used to how she handles and especailly at low speed, and then pick up your passenger.

Enjoy whatever you decide to buy.

OH. I bought a fully functioning LT FD and had it re-built by someoen who understood why the factory miss-shimed the fds.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in