Kontour Seats - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 104 Old Jan 24th, 2013, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Kontour Seats

Hi All:

I thought I would give everyone a update on my Kontour Seats. I had both seats and back rests redone. I have ridden the bike on twisties for 2 and a half hours and no more pain the behind. Friends of mine who have seen my seats and have sat on them have also had their seats redone by Kontour Seats. I have yet to go on a long ride on the super slab to really give the seat a work out.

The super slab will probably have to wait until Spring or Summer do to all the rain we have been getting here in Nor Cal. I will keep everyone posted when I do.

L. Jay Keeran
K6LJK
2009 LT "USS Defiant"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old Jan 24th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Re: Kontour Seats

That's great to hear been saving up to have my seat done, butt first i need to repair the rear seal leak, damn

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #3 of 104 Old Jan 24th, 2013, 7:04 pm

Likewise I can report having received and installed my Kontour seat in late December. As we shifted to AZ in early January I have had a few opportunities to get out in a variety of ride types in the past couple of weeks.

I had the rider seat and backrest both fully "Kontour-ized" and the pillon just recovered to match as I only ride one-up. The service and craftsmanship in the finished product are excellent. The first thing I noticed was the strange sensation of actually feeling air circulating beneath me when seated. I can see why this seat is praised for performing well in warm climates. The seat feels good and it is easy to "plant" myself into the seat. After a few trial adjustments I got the rider backrest adjusted and it applies just the right amount of pressure to feel comfortable.

I have ridden about 800 miles total, across three rides, with probably half of that having been on a super slab. About 100 miles having been mountain twisties. The seat has done great but I feel that the backrest keeps pushing me forward on the seat. For additional testing I have removed the backrest and plan to ride a few hundred miles without it for comparison.

I will report more when I have more experience on the seat, but that's it for now.

Gerald Massey
Brush Prairie, WA
'07 R1200RT

post #4 of 104 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 10:47 am

Thanks G-MAN!

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #5 of 104 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 11:39 am

I have about 8000 miles on mine now, and it is still great ! Best seat ever

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #6 of 104 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 11:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMassey
...The seat has done great but I feel that the backrest keeps pushing me forward on the seat. For additional testing I have removed the backrest and plan to ride a few hundred miles without it for comparison.

I will report more when I have more experience on the seat, but that's it for now.
I tried one of those bakrest, and I had the same experience. I wound up taking it off during the first part of my two week trip. It seems to be too high- above the small of my back, where it seems like it should go. Hopefully, it can be adjusted because it's another one of those high dollar farkles that's amounted to just another high dollar paper weight.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #7 of 104 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:12 pm

If you'd like to get rid of it, I'm looking for a low-dollar paper weight!
post #8 of 104 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmmmw
If you'd like to get rid of it, I'm looking for a low-dollar paper weight!
I might be in touch, but it won't be before summer. I wouldn't bet the wind won't blow between now and then.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #9 of 104 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 4:55 pm

Just an FYI - the BakUp backrest (which we sell) for the LT can be adjusted up and down and fore and aft. Sometimes even the smallest adjustment can be a big help.

I personally can't ride my LT without mine for more than 50 miles - I start to slump in the seat and get tired. I'm fortunate that my back is in great shape. I like sitting bolt upright in the seat with a slight curve to my spine. Just like your Mom always told you to. Interestingly enough it also causes your pelvis to tilt forward at the same time, and for me this helps with over all balance as well. I just feel it gives me more of a *command* position on such a heavy bike.

I like LOTS of pressure on my lower back, and that's why we can modify it with dual density visco foam - without the foam it won't shape to your spine and gets old after a few hundred miles.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 104 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 5:23 pm

All three back rests I've tried took a lot of playing around with to get a cimfortable position.

Once I statred palying around with the first one I understood why Ari motorized the adjustments.

Before my "Ronnieized" seat I get about 45 minutes before I started squirming. With his seat and an after market backrest I was able to ride untill I needed gas or I was running low on caffeen from green tea. Figure 300 miles to a tank and 75-80mph across Texas.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 104 Old Jan 28th, 2013, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
All three back rests I've tried took a lot of playing around with to get a cimfortable position.

Once I statred palying around with the first one I understood why Ari motorized the adjustments.

Before my "Ronnieized" seat I get about 45 minutes before I started squirming. With his seat and an after market backrest I was able to ride untill I needed gas or I was running low on caffeen from green tea. Figure 300 miles to a tank and 75-80mph across Texas.

Bob
Then came Ronson.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronson.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	37542  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 104 Old Feb 13th, 2013, 11:16 pm

So a further update on my KonTour and BakUp. As suggested below I did some adjustment in the positioning of the backrest and the degree of pressure. I have now done about 3,000 miles including one single day at a little over 600 miles in Arizona. I can safely say that it is now "dialed in" for me and as other posters have noted I can't imagine a more supportive and comfortable seat. I really like it. Thanks Ron!

Gerald Massey
Brush Prairie, WA
'07 R1200RT
post #13 of 104 Old Feb 14th, 2013, 10:07 am

Wait till summer time. Nice and cooool. Only down side is that when it drops below about 60F my but can more than cool. When it rains the seat doesn't pick up water.

I wonder if Ron could do my ham radio room chair? :-))

Bob

I always wondered what Bronson did for clothes? Same think for Buzz and the other character in Route 66.

When I read a little about life in the Old West, I was disappointed that unlike on TV and in Movies Native Americans did and do have to go to the bathroom. :-))

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #14 of 104 Old Feb 16th, 2013, 3:48 pm

I too had a seat done by Ron in late fall/ early winter (can't remember exact date now lol)

I had only the drivers seat done and was able to get out on one ride of about 100miles. The airflow in seat was definately a first for me.. Not so good in the cold , but should be very nice in the hot. ( I much prefer my Concours for cold weather work anyhow, no comparison really, much the same as I prefer the LT for warmer weather).

I at first thought it was a huge improvement, but my butt was sore (all be it not near as much as before) by the time I got back.

I have not posted up earlier as I was waiting to put some real miles on it when the Mrs and I head to Florida soon for some real miles.(LT is loaded in the ToyHauler ready to roll)
I am hoping some more seat time will break the seat in and I will not have any soreness issues. The workmanship and finish on the seat is TOP NOTCH. We usually put about 3K miles on bike while we are gone so will have a more informed report then.

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!
post #15 of 104 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 12:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe
...I have not posted up earlier as I was waiting to put some real miles on it when the Mrs and I head to Florida soon for some real miles.(LT is loaded in the ToyHauler ready to roll)
I am hoping some more seat time will break the seat in and I will not have any soreness issues. The workmanship and finish on the seat is TOP NOTCH. We usually put about 3K miles on bike while we are gone so will have a more informed report then.
I'm confused about how you're going to get in some real miles w/ the bike being trailered. One would think getting to Florida would be the real miles, or do you plan to sit on the bike in the ToyHauler for the whole trip to Florida?

It seems making the trip on the bike would beyond doubt give you a better assessment of the seat, as well as breaking it in. Just a thought.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #16 of 104 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 1:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
I'm confused about how you're going to get in some real miles w/ the bike being trailered. One would think getting to Florida would be the real miles, or do you plan to sit on the bike in the ToyHauler for the whole trip to Florida?

It seems making the trip on the bike would beyond doubt give you a better assessment of the seat, as well as breaking it in. Just a thought.
No worries about racking up the miles on a toy hauler!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ao3uUOVmQo...railerBoyz.jpg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TrailerBoyz.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	37679  
CaliDefector likes this.

2002 K1200LTC Ocean Blue
post #17 of 104 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 2:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_R
No worries about racking up the miles on a toy hauler!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ao3uUOVmQo...railerBoyz.jpg

Like they say, just when I thought I had seen it all. I bet they'll selling like hotcakes too.

And for that authentic feel, purchase the TrailerBoyz II, where you not only rack up the miles on your speedo, but your butt aches as if it really did complete the Saddle Sore 1000!

"But wait! That's not all. If you'll order by credit card within the next seven minutes, we'll throw in free shipping when you upgrade for only another $199.99, where your ass will feel like it's been on a Butt Burner 1500, and you're speedo will even reflect the miles to prove it! And the best part is- you never have to unload your bike to do it! Amazing!"

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Feb 17th, 2013 at 2:19 am.
post #18 of 104 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 2:25 am

If I was Catholic, I'd feel compelled to go to Confession.
BUT I"M NOT!!!

One thing's for sure, if you trailer your bike, then you don't have to worry about an FD failure.

Eric, thanks so much for the laugh.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #19 of 104 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 8:22 am

I think you guys have to look where Little Joe is coming from;You would have to have your chains on to get there.NOT A FUN RIDE

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #20 of 104 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 8:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
I wonder if Ron could do my ham radio room chair? :-))

Bob
That is a great idea ! Those long hours in DX contests would be way more comfortable . Of course, most would have to be the "Magnum" if you consider what you see at hamfests

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #21 of 104 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Guess you comedians should google where the Ottawa Valley is in Ontario Canada.

It is -20 with a wind chill of -30 as I am typing....... Hence the holiday to the warmer weather of Florida for a winter break, so I can get some riding in. I usually ride 10-12000 miles per year..........not bad for a 7month season.

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!
post #22 of 104 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
If I was Catholic, I'd feel compelled to go to Confession.
It is referred to as Reconciliation, and has been for a l-o-n-g time.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #23 of 104 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 1:59 pm

Little Joe, my hat's off to anyone who can stand to live in that kind of climate, and I've considered trying it just to build some character or intestinal fortitude or both

From the few stories I've heard and read, I imagine your neck of the woods doesn't have the most LT friendly roads for traveling, so I ain't blaming you at all for wanting to trailer that bike- at least until you can get to some super slabs.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #24 of 104 Old Nov 4th, 2013, 6:40 am

Hi,

Does anyone perhaps have a picture of the contour seat on a LT? I have also experienced the same pain in the butt after a long journey with the standard drivers seat.

Might wanna get one myself.

Rusty
post #25 of 104 Old Nov 5th, 2013, 6:23 am

choose carefully my friend;;; mine did not work out. Ron just told me to change my under ware. I was out side the warrenty period. I tried several rides to test it and break it in and went over the 14 day warrenty. it seems his made to spec seat did not meet the specs of my Butt. " No Butt Ahh " for me. change your under ware first. $600 plus is a lot to experiment with. Paper weights and boat anchors come to mind for uses.

I'm happy that others find the product useful.

Jim

Loansumrider: Jim
01 LT Fast Pacific Blue ... " The Goose "

? when to ASUME, and HOW MUCH should you ASUME, safely ?
post #26 of 104 Old Nov 5th, 2013, 10:19 am

Here's some recent comments from customers:

"...I have however taken delivery of my KonTour seat and must say I'm impressed on all accounts. Working with Ron was effortless via email. He responds within 24 hours and most of the time much sooner. The quality of his materials can't be matched by other manufacturers and close inspection of the seat imparts quality workmanship not usually seen these days. For example, the Monel staples that won't rust were painstakingly applied to my seat. Someone clearly didn't just slap them on there with a pneumatic gun. Additionally, Ron fixed my heated seat plug that I had cracked during the many times I'd uncoupled the wire. I emailed before I sent the seat stating how I was the culprit and not UPS or one of Ron's employees. Without word one from me, Ron fixed it and didn't charge a thing. It's keen customer service along these lines that establishes a client for life. Why don't other companies understand that simple fact? I love the Polar Mesh material now that it's getting hot here in Texas. Don't slide around on the seat one bit. Would I spend the money again on a KonTour seat? You bet."

"+1. Best seat I have ever owned. And I'd had all the big name aftermarket brands. I have a lot of money into this unit (Extra GT seat set, heated, with Kon Tour mods), nearly $ 1,500, and its worth every dime because I totally forget about my tailbone on long rides now. And that's the best compliment you can give a seat - if its comfortable, you don't even notice it during your ride."

"I can't say enough good things about my seat or the customer service Ron gave to me.. I was the first GTL seat to get the handrail cut outs and was more than pleased with my magnum seat... I have left the bike in the hot summer sun for 3 hrs and jump on it in shorts to put it away in garage with zero heat issue from the seat... Amazing concept and it works as advertised!!!! Kontour has my continued support and customer for life!!! "

"+1 for KonTour, particularly the extra effort from Mr. Miller. Woke up to find that my brother had conspired with Ron to replace my stock seats with Ron's product that I have been talking about for a while. Not so easy to pull off since we are on different coasts.... Ron, I appreciate the extra personal touch, thank you. Now I am really looking forward to the coast to coast back to coast ride in August-September!"

"Both ********** and I have about 2000 miles on our new Kontours and we are both very happy with the workmanship, quality and comfort!! Ron you guys did a great job and we both love the cool airflow... We did 320mi last Sunday and 234mi today with no issues for either of us or our wife's... LOVE IT!!!!! Thanks!!"

"... I wanted to share my story about my new KonTour seat for my R1200GS:
I took my R1200GS with my new KonTour saddle for a ride today in 105 degree heat. All I can say is WOW! A quantitative difference in temperature and comfort that I could feel in just the first few minutes. The stock saddle was just hot, uncomfortable and downright painful, even after just 30 minutes. I can feel the air circulating underneath me and the feel of the saddle is so much better in every way. I have a Sargent seat on my R1150RT that will never be as comfortable as my new KonTour. Ron, you have a winning design and you will make all my motorcycle saddles in the future. Thank you again, the saddle is worth every penny and then some."

Well I must say, I am impressed beyond my expectations! I have gone out on many rides on my Kontour seat. The most recent was a 2600 miler to New Hampshire, Vermont and upstate New York. The seat performed so well. No discomfort at all. I am looking forward to my west coast ride next summer. Well done Kontour !

"Some Feedback on Kontour Seats (Driver and Pillion, with heaters)
We've just completed a 4500 KM trip, mostly through Spain, where temperatures reached 42C on the road. Both the driver and pillion Kontour seats performed well, no issues, no shifting, no standing on pegs, no stopping every ~45 mins to get some 'butt' relief, all in all very impressive, definitely an 'all' day seat. The seats also performed well passing through the UK, where the weather was a little more chilly and wet, and the pillion seat heater was still effective.
Not affiliated with Kontour in anyway, just a very satisfied customer, pleased with the prompt service offered by Ron and his team and the performance of the seat."

"I've only got about 1000 miles on my new Kontour seat this spring so far.
The colder temps do require that I warm it up before a ride or it'll ride like a brick. Ron fully informed me of this and works like a charm when it's 40 degrees and beautiful outside and just have to ride. I did cover it with my sheep skin cover when it was that cold. That and wearing my Stich riding pants did allow me to feel the seat heat reasonably well. At those temps, the heated jacket was more important for all day warmth. Core is KEY! Now that I've been able to ride in warmer temps, the seat works just as advertised. I don't get any hot spots and all day riding is a breeze. Literally when it's warmer out and the seat is so cool and comfortable to ride. I have the Magnum seat for my 225 pound frame. This is the BEST mod I've ever done to any motorcycle I've ever done. I can't put a price on all day comfort. All I can say is AHHH! Thanks Ron for a great product."

"I just wanted to take a minute and chime in on my new Kontour seat. I have a 2013 R 1200R that the stock seat was UNBEARABLE - I couldn't ride for more than 10-15 minutes without pure misery. I am in Tucson, AZ and my dealership recommended that I contact Ron to discuss my options as far as what I can do with the stock seat rather than go aftermarket. After a brief email exchange, I was able to drop my seat off, and was immediately impressed with Ron as both an enthusiast and a business owner. He went over my different options as far as adding some depth to the seat as well as making it more comfortable. I left with a good sense as to what I would be receiving and the only disappointment was that I had to now wait for my seat
Fast foward a few days, and my seat is ready - I was quite giddy and a bit over excited. The seat looked great and the quality of the craftmanship was supreme. I did a few short jaunts around town and could immediately tell how much more comfortable this seat was compared to stock. The real challenge was my long but brief trip from Tucson to San Francisco. Over 5 days, I rode from Tucson to San Fran and back - the ride was amazing and the seat truly saved my A$$. It was comfortable and I cannot stress how different it was from stock. To wrap things up, this was the BEST modification I have done to any of my bikes. Would I purchase another seat from Ron? Without hesitation! Have I recommended Ron to my colleagues who ride? ABSOLUTELY!!! A true pleasure to deal with "

"I have had Russell and Mayer and now ride with a Kontour which is MAGNIFICENT. 240 lb, 5' 11". However, I purchased a new GT seat & pillion and had Ron custom build on that which (in my opinion) is far, far better than the GTL seat. Its the best seat I've ever owned and that spans most every brand seat on a multitude of bikes (shameless plug). "

Ok guys, I have used your seat for about six months now and I decided to tell you what I think of it. I wanted to wait till I put a few thousand miles on it before I would say anything so I could make an informed comment. Now that I have taken some all day rides in cold and hot weather I can tell you that I have NEVER been on a more comfortable seat in my 36 years of riding. This thing is rediculously comfortable ! I will soon be sending you a Kawasaki ZRX seat to have you work your magic on. Thank you guys so much.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #27 of 104 Old Nov 5th, 2013, 11:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Here's some recent comments from customers:

"...I have however taken delivery of my KonTour seat and must say I'm impressed on all accounts. Working with Ron was effortless via email. He responds within 24 hours and most of the time much sooner. The quality of his materials can't be matched by other manufacturers and close inspection of the seat imparts quality workmanship not usually seen these days. For example, the Monel staples that won't rust were painstakingly applied to my seat. Someone clearly didn't just slap them on there with a pneumatic gun. Additionally, Ron fixed my heated seat plug that I had cracked during the many times I'd uncoupled the wire. I emailed before I sent the seat stating how I was the culprit and not UPS or one of Ron's employees. Without word one from me, Ron fixed it and didn't charge a thing. It's keen customer service along these lines that establishes a client for life. Why don't other companies understand that simple fact? I love the Polar Mesh material now that it's getting hot here in Texas. Don't slide around on the seat one bit. Would I spend the money again on a KonTour seat? You bet."

"+1. Best seat I have ever owned. And I'd had all the big name aftermarket brands. I have a lot of money into this unit (Extra GT seat set, heated, with Kon Tour mods), nearly $ 1,500, and its worth every dime because I totally forget about my tailbone on long rides now. And that's the best compliment you can give a seat - if its comfortable, you don't even notice it during your ride."

"I can't say enough good things about my seat or the customer service Ron gave to me.. I was the first GTL seat to get the handrail cut outs and was more than pleased with my magnum seat... I have left the bike in the hot summer sun for 3 hrs and jump on it in shorts to put it away in garage with zero heat issue from the seat... Amazing concept and it works as advertised!!!! Kontour has my continued support and customer for life!!! "

"+1 for KonTour, particularly the extra effort from Mr. Miller. Woke up to find that my brother had conspired with Ron to replace my stock seats with Ron's product that I have been talking about for a while. Not so easy to pull off since we are on different coasts.... Ron, I appreciate the extra personal touch, thank you. Now I am really looking forward to the coast to coast back to coast ride in August-September!"

"Both ********** and I have about 2000 miles on our new Kontours and we are both very happy with the workmanship, quality and comfort!! Ron you guys did a great job and we both love the cool airflow... We did 320mi last Sunday and 234mi today with no issues for either of us or our wife's... LOVE IT!!!!! Thanks!!"

"... I wanted to share my story about my new KonTour seat for my R1200GS:
I took my R1200GS with my new KonTour saddle for a ride today in 105 degree heat. All I can say is WOW! A quantitative difference in temperature and comfort that I could feel in just the first few minutes. The stock saddle was just hot, uncomfortable and downright painful, even after just 30 minutes. I can feel the air circulating underneath me and the feel of the saddle is so much better in every way. I have a Sargent seat on my R1150RT that will never be as comfortable as my new KonTour. Ron, you have a winning design and you will make all my motorcycle saddles in the future. Thank you again, the saddle is worth every penny and then some."

Well I must say, I am impressed beyond my expectations! I have gone out on many rides on my Kontour seat. The most recent was a 2600 miler to New Hampshire, Vermont and upstate New York. The seat performed so well. No discomfort at all. I am looking forward to my west coast ride next summer. Well done Kontour !

"Some Feedback on Kontour Seats (Driver and Pillion, with heaters)
We've just completed a 4500 KM trip, mostly through Spain, where temperatures reached 42C on the road. Both the driver and pillion Kontour seats performed well, no issues, no shifting, no standing on pegs, no stopping every ~45 mins to get some 'butt' relief, all in all very impressive, definitely an 'all' day seat. The seats also performed well passing through the UK, where the weather was a little more chilly and wet, and the pillion seat heater was still effective.
Not affiliated with Kontour in anyway, just a very satisfied customer, pleased with the prompt service offered by Ron and his team and the performance of the seat."

"I've only got about 1000 miles on my new Kontour seat this spring so far.
The colder temps do require that I warm it up before a ride or it'll ride like a brick. Ron fully informed me of this and works like a charm when it's 40 degrees and beautiful outside and just have to ride. I did cover it with my sheep skin cover when it was that cold. That and wearing my Stich riding pants did allow me to feel the seat heat reasonably well. At those temps, the heated jacket was more important for all day warmth. Core is KEY! Now that I've been able to ride in warmer temps, the seat works just as advertised. I don't get any hot spots and all day riding is a breeze. Literally when it's warmer out and the seat is so cool and comfortable to ride. I have the Magnum seat for my 225 pound frame. This is the BEST mod I've ever done to any motorcycle I've ever done. I can't put a price on all day comfort. All I can say is AHHH! Thanks Ron for a great product."

"I just wanted to take a minute and chime in on my new Kontour seat. I have a 2013 R 1200R that the stock seat was UNBEARABLE - I couldn't ride for more than 10-15 minutes without pure misery. I am in Tucson, AZ and my dealership recommended that I contact Ron to discuss my options as far as what I can do with the stock seat rather than go aftermarket. After a brief email exchange, I was able to drop my seat off, and was immediately impressed with Ron as both an enthusiast and a business owner. He went over my different options as far as adding some depth to the seat as well as making it more comfortable. I left with a good sense as to what I would be receiving and the only disappointment was that I had to now wait for my seat
Fast foward a few days, and my seat is ready - I was quite giddy and a bit over excited. The seat looked great and the quality of the craftmanship was supreme. I did a few short jaunts around town and could immediately tell how much more comfortable this seat was compared to stock. The real challenge was my long but brief trip from Tucson to San Francisco. Over 5 days, I rode from Tucson to San Fran and back - the ride was amazing and the seat truly saved my A$$. It was comfortable and I cannot stress how different it was from stock. To wrap things up, this was the BEST modification I have done to any of my bikes. Would I purchase another seat from Ron? Without hesitation! Have I recommended Ron to my colleagues who ride? ABSOLUTELY!!! A true pleasure to deal with "

"I have had Russell and Mayer and now ride with a Kontour which is MAGNIFICENT. 240 lb, 5' 11". However, I purchased a new GT seat & pillion and had Ron custom build on that which (in my opinion) is far, far better than the GTL seat. Its the best seat I've ever owned and that spans most every brand seat on a multitude of bikes (shameless plug). "

Ok guys, I have used your seat for about six months now and I decided to tell you what I think of it. I wanted to wait till I put a few thousand miles on it before I would say anything so I could make an informed comment. Now that I have taken some all day rides in cold and hot weather I can tell you that I have NEVER been on a more comfortable seat in my 36 years of riding. This thing is rediculously comfortable ! I will soon be sending you a Kawasaki ZRX seat to have you work your magic on. Thank you guys so much.
Hey Ron, how long did it take you to write all these customer reviews

2015 R1200Rt- Ebony
2005 K1200Lt- Dark Graphite
1978 KZ1000 Ltd- Black
St Clair Shores, Mi
BMWMOA # 185482

post #28 of 104 Old Nov 5th, 2013, 12:13 pm

Ron must be a little " touchie " ! I wish he had put that much effort into working with me, and not blowing me off by blaming my underware in both email replies.

Mail order seats has to be a difficult business ! All I'm saying choose carefully.

post #29 of 104 Old Nov 5th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider
Ron must be a little " touchie " ! I wish he had put that much effort into working with me, and not blowing me off by blaming my underware in both email replies.

Mail order seats has to be a difficult business ! All I'm saying choose carefully.
On first read, I thought you wrote that perhaps 'Ron was a little tushie' and I thought that was a polite way of calling him an @$$. Glad to see that I was wrong. I guess contacts AND reading glasses are no longer enough for me.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #30 of 104 Old Nov 5th, 2013, 4:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
On first read, I thought you wrote that perhaps 'Ron was a little tushie' and I thought that was a polite way of calling him an @$$. Glad to see that I was wrong. I guess contacts AND reading glasses are no longer enough for me.
Thanks for lightening the mood, Tony! Chann and I swapped bikes one New Years day after the RTE and I found his Kontour Magnum seat quite comfy even though I don't weigh enough to warrant the magnum version. It was sculpted out enough to relieve the pressure on my bits & pieces (same reason I have a Serfas Rx seat on my bicycle). I would already have one if I could get enough saved before some other need arose. I do agree with Jim, an after market seat is a lot of coin when you can't be sure it will work.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #31 of 104 Old Nov 5th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Quote:
I'm not the best speller either. need my dictionary and more. good to hear from you Tony.

post #32 of 104 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEBS
Hey Ron, how long did it take you to write all these customer reviews
About the same amount of time it took me to write all of THESE reviews - most of which are from LT riders. Thanks for asking.

The pillion is great...thanks for the upgrade on the back rest and installation tips. I'm leaving Salt Lake in the morning and will be taking a leasuirely route through Colorado back to Austin.

...I really enjoyed the KonTour seat on the ride up here last week. I've had Corbin and Russell Day Long custom seats and I must say yours is the BEST!

Ken
BMW K1200 LT
Austin, Texas

Ok, I'm not getting anything for this plug, but here goes.

In May, I completed a 5057 mile trip from Denver to Seattle to Neah Bay (NW point of Con. US), then to Imperial beach south of San Diego (SW point at Mexican border) via WA, OR and CA (US 101 and CA 1), then thru AZ and home. Not trying to set any records and took 18 days. Stayed with relatives and friends along the way too. Our butts (wife's too) were sore for several weeks afterward.

Now for the good news. I immediately sent my seats to KonTour for customization. Well worth the bucks. The new seats are great. We left last Friday headed for Madawaska, ME, then down the east coast to Key West, FL, then back thru New Orleans, Big D and home. Will cover 6800 plus miles on this trip. My butt was sore on the last trip after day one with the stock LT seat. But now, after 5 straight days (1800 plus miles) I don't have the least bit of butt discomfort. If anything, these seats should be disallowed for iron butt award rides. They're much too comfortable.

BTW, they are much cooler than the solid covered seats.

Hal
2005 Hannagan Trike
Longmont, CO

... just wanted you to know I got my seat back for my 2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro Wednesday. I rode it over and back to Orange county, then down into north county San Diego today. What a difference, I can actually sit on it for a couple hours at a time. Thirty minutes before was about all I could stand and I would be sore the next day. I also really like the way it looks!

Fred
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro
San Diego, CA

I recently had the driver portion of my 2009 LT seat upgraded to include the Polar Mesh material. While the dog days of summer had past when I got the seat installed I have ridden on a few 80 degree days with high humidity. Before the upgrade I couldn't ride for more than 15 minutes before my butt was sticking to the vinyl seat. With the Polar Mesh material just the opposite. Rode about 10 hours straight a couple Saturdays ago in high 70 degree weather. That was the first time I can remember on any bike where my underwear and pants weren't stuck to my back side. The airflow is really incredible. I've also ridden with it in 50 degree weather. Don't want to sound like a wussy but I turned the heated seat on. It was so well ventilated that it felt like a cold draft on my back side. Very happy so far.

Doug
2009 BMW K1200LT
Louisiana

"Early on, I decided this seat had to be replaced. (07 BMW GT) It was plan and simple just too uncomfortable. I had a Sargent on my K1200 rs and thought the seat was pretty. But, I didn't find it that much more comfortable than the stock. Due to the weather I ride in, I decided to use KonTour.

Folks, I just did 2 days of riding. Due to some freezing ass weather, I only did 500 miles a day. I can't believe how comfortable the seat was. Even though the temperature was cool, the seat was extremely comfortable and just about formed to my ass. No sliding and no Pain.

It was so comfortable I ended up with a new problem. I got trailed by the Texas Highway Patrol. No laser just trailed me for a couple of miles.

I have had this bike for 60 days and put 8500 miles on it. It is absolutely the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever been on. Never had an LT but it is the BOMB.

Not only is KonTour great but they are a pleasure to do business with."

Trost
07 BMW GT
Jackson, MS

"Just got back from Deals Gap late yesterday. We did 1915 miles in four days, with heavy rain in Florida on days one and four. I was somewhat concerned about the mesh cover in the rain, but it doesn't seem to hold the water, it just doesn't get wet or trap water under your butt like vinyl seats.
I can't say enough good things about the seat that you built for me. Extremely comfortable, supportive, cool, firm, and good looking. Unlike the factory seat, I don't sink in all the way to the seat pan. I could not have done this trip on the factory seat. Previously on the factory seat I would have to stop at least every hour or so for a butt-break. On the Kontour seat, I can ride out a tank of fuel, which is about 300 miles for my LT.

You guys are my heroes!!!

Thanks for a great seat and and the quick turnaround."

Ed Note: We built a plus seat for Rick with the tall man lumbar support mod to allow him to push back into the seat an extra inch, without it "pushing" back.

Rick
BMW K1200LT
Homestead, FL

"Riding 1000 miles in 24 hours for an Iron Butt Run on my new KonTour was remarkable. Everyone else in the group was in serious pain by 3:00 am but aside from some stiffness in my lower back, I was just fine. No more aching hip joints, numbness, or sore butt. Amazing, worth every penny, looks very fine on the Honda Shadow, and was narrowed down to help me flat-foot the bike. Great product, quick turn-around time, professional manner. What more could you ask for???"

Ed Note: Barbara will be adding a BakUp backrest from KonTour seat in the near future to help with that lower back.

Barbara
Tucson, AZ
2003 Honda Shadow 750

"Just completed a 1200 mile trip last week and really appreciated having your seat! It really made a huge difference. Just like your website states, I no longer found myself shifting around to get comfortable and monkey butt was non-existent. In fact, I still can't believe that I feel air actually flowing under my butt! I know that there are a lot of choices for custom seats, but whatever you do, don't over look the KonTour. It's a high-tech seat very well suited for the LT. "

Frank
Pennsylvania
BMW K1200LT

"As you may recall, I had an opportunity to take my LT with it's new Kontour Seat on a 1,000 mile trip this past weekend. I had very high expectations for the seat as I believe you have done quite a bit of R&D on the product. All I can is say is WOW! The seat more than met my expectations. I never felt a pressure point even after several hours in the saddle. I can't describe the feeling because it's hard to pin-point where you rear is in the seat. It's just plain supported. The temps were in the 40's to 60's and the seat did feel better when the heat was on towards the lower range."

"I would not hesitate to reccomend this seat. It does not have to be custom fitted and will work for anyone. This is the only seat I've ever owned where I can truly say it's an all day seat. I absolutely think it's the best investment I've made on my bike."

Ed Note: Two months after purchase - For Sale, Airhawk Pad.

"Large size which fits the LT seat perfectly. Bought only a few months ago and don't need it now that I've gone to the Kon Tour seat."

Todd
Murietta, CA
BMW K1200LT

"I have now spent 1500 miles on your seat and my impressions are overwhelmingly favorable. As you promised, there's not a hint of soreness. Today was a real test - 600 miles of arduous riding - half of which was in 20-30 degree temperatures and 5 straight hours of snowing! I thought this was April! The heating elements worked very well."

Don
McClean, VA
2000 BMW K1200 LT

"I took a 200 mile trip yesterday, approximately 100 miles each way. Did not stop on 100 mile legs. Riding included heavy in-traffic riding and 80 mph riding on I-95. Outside air temperature about 79-80 degrees (F).

1. Seat firm and comfortable.
2. No hot spots or 'monkey butt'
3. Could actually feel air circulating under my butt giving a cooling effect.
4. Could definitely feel seat contouring to my butt supporting entire butt.
5. Would recommend biker's underwear with minimal/no piping on edges. Kontour seat is firmer than stock seats so you really can feel the seams.

(A few months later...) "With a couple of thousand miles on the Kontour Seat all I can say is that it does all that KontourSeat.com advertises, and more. No hot spots!"

Would heartily endorse this seat for touring!"

John
Jacksonville, FL
2005 BMW K1200LT

"Everything's just fine with the seat. No complaints.
And I extoll its virtues to any who will listen, and
some who'd probably rather not!"

Jim
Tucson, AZ
2002 Kawasaki KLR 650
MSF Instructor

"...the commute (25 mi each way) is better - both from a seat of the pants feel of it as well as the non-slide nature of the (KonTour) seat. Still haven't managed a longish trip, but the wife and I went 2up for dinner & a movie last weekend and she commented on how much nicer the new seat was. Both the comfort of it and the traction provided by the surface were big hits with her."

Ken
Tucson, AZ
1999 BMW GS1150

When I decided to try something else I got the Kontour, it is real nice, feels real good and is superbly built. The seats look really great, I also had the Bakup and passenger pillion backrest done. When they get wet, the water seems to flow thru them.

Here's the best part: on a hot day (the high has only been 88 so far) you're butt gets a leetle sweaty and I swear its like having an air conditioner. The air smoothe flows thru them babies! If you're prone to monkey butt, here is the ultimate solution. Besides riding great, a cool butt.

Other seats are a solid vinyl or leather with no airflow, so the body part contacting them will....sweat and the sweat purdy much sticks. You can cure this with the beaded seats (I hated sitting on them) but why have a custom seat you need to bead, etc.?

I used my seat heater more than ever this winter, which gave me more of an ahhh feeling, so they weren't uncomfortable at all in the cold. (only rode down to 34 degrees a few times, hey, I live in Texas).

When I decided to try something else, I studied them all, have seen them all and sat on purdy much all of them, but the Kontour (relatively new company).

The air flow swung me as Texas gets purdy dern warm.

So, you have great comfort and a cooling effect on an important body part (face it, you sit on it on the bike for hours at a time), an extremely well made product that looks great, is tougher than vinyl or leather (this part was important, too) and superb service. Twas a no brainer for moi.

Greg
New Braunfels, TX
BMW K1200LT

"Just got the seat today! It is truly beautiful !!!!!!!!! As I told you before, I had 2 Russell's and a Sargent. Your quality matches Russell easily if not surpassing it. The seat is great!!!! I have gone on a 300 mile day and my backside was comfortable. The seat looks magnificent and it is comfortable. It does everything you say and more. Very pleased. Thank you very much for a great product!"

Tim
Mentor, Ohio
2005 BMW K1200LT

"...so far my impressions are " this is a wonderfull seat and gets more comfortable the longer I ride". Thanks for doing a great job.We'll see what
happens during the HOT summer months. Definitely telling other riders about it."

Mark
Fullerton, CA
2004 Honda ST1300

I had a seat and backrest made by you guys a couple of years ago for my K1200LT, and I canít believe the difference! Went coast to coast on the stock seat and nearly died. Went coast to coast again, this time on a Kontour seat, and had NO ISSUES whatsoever. I completely love your product!

Michael
Concord, CA

I just wanted to let you know how pleased I am. They look great & I soon forgot about the seat while riding incredibly comfortable. Much better than
expected. Especially with the BakUp, its like having a new bike. Definitely worth every penny!!! Thanks again for going out of your way to fix the heater connection.

John
Virginia Beach, VA
2005 BMW 1200RT

The seat is much, much more comfortable for me than the stock seat and is of great quality...
On the way home I cross a 4 way stop intersection - they have installed (I don't know the proper name for) three sets of vinyl stripes, in each
approaching lane to the stop light. Each set contains about 10 individual stripes; the stripes are about 2 feet apart and the sets about 20 yards apart.
With the stock seat they will about rattle your teeth out. With this seat you don't get 10% of that sensation. It's absolutely amazing! I had forgotten how much better it was than the stock seat. It's almost as if you had replaced worn out shocks with new ones.
If you're in the market for a new seat you sure need to give KonTour a close look.

Steven
Henderson, NC
BMW

I have an 05 LT and the stock seat is unbelievably bad for a bike that cost this much. I have had 3 Russell Day long seats over the past 20 years and was very satisfied. However the shape completely ruins the lines and style of the LT so I did some research and choose the KonTour. I could not be happier. It is a great seat that looks good on the bike. The color matches perfect. The service was excellent and it is a very good value. I think you would be pleased with the KonTour seat.

Dick
2005 BMW K1200LT
San Diego

I'm 6' and 190 lbs and have a KonTour seat which is great. I can ride all day now.

Jim
Toronto, Canada

Well, I needed a new seat right before Christmas, 2006. I contacted a few manufacturers, one being Kontour. They made one of those outlandish promises, "Send it to us and we'll get it back to you before Christmas." I had less than 2 weeks. Actually it was more like 10 days. Well, they delivered. I made a long ride between Christmas and the new year on the new seat and have continued to love it ever since. I am 6'1", 200 lbs, so I got extra padding, which my bottom has enjoyed. That is my only experience with getting a new seat for a BMW, but I would certainly do it again.

Doug
2006 BMW LT
Texas

I have a Kontour seat and love it. Got my IBA saddle sore with it a couple of months after getting it back. They turned it within a week, (with an appointment of course). My other seat 8 hours was max, now 15 hours is a breeze. I like the way it moves air under your butt.

Geroge
Modesto, CA

I installed a KonTour seat on my bike last week. Saturday I thought might be a good day to try it out. The high for Saturday was 101. My wife and I did a little 510 mile jaunt out to the Caprock toward Lubbock and up to Claude, Texas. We passed through the Palo Duro Canyon and travelled some roads I hadn't been on since I was a teenager. It was a nice ride.
The first thing I noticed about the seat is that I wasn't sliding around on it. It felt great at the outset. It was slightly higher than my original seat but that was no problem since I have a 34 inseam. It actually made my XL J-Pegs a little more comfortable. I also had a pair of boots with mesh tops that allowed some air flow on my feet. Black boots get HOT in the Texas sun. The seat was comfortable for the entire trip. I'm totally satisfied with it. No more sweaty monkey butt for me. I'm glad I chose the KonTour seat. It has made my LT even more fun to ride.

Jim
Wichita Falls, Texas

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #33 of 104 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 12:15 pm

I am happy with my inexpensive seat from www.madcowcustomleather.com just added some air foam and reset it as far as a little less height and whole lot more comfe 1/5 the price.

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #34 of 104 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Ron

I don't disagree that you have many many satisfied customers. That is not the issue. I did not see any unsatisfied responses on your wed site. Why ? I'm sure that they are out there, but don't care.

Would you post for me on your web sit that I'm unsatisfied ? I did not see a way for me to do it.

My only issue is the way you blew me off with your " award winning customer service " of questioning my ridding pants and underwear in replies to my emails, inplace of trying to work to resolve on issue and have another satisfied customer. And so quickly noting that I was outside the 14 day warranty period. To me it takes time to resolve some of these issues for a custom seat.

It appears that you only have two KLT seats; regular and over sized. Or, at the price of about $75.00 for shipping per change within 14 days to make it custom. That is a lot of $ for something that may not work.

All I'm trying to do is inform others of what may happen, to choose carefully.

In fact if one of your satisfied customers want a Kontour seat now, I'm willing to satisfy that order and sell them mine, which you have stated is made to your " specs ".

post #35 of 104 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 7:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loansumrider
Ron

I don't disagree that you have many many satisfied customers. That is not the issue. I did not see any unsatisfied responses on your wed site. Why ? I'm sure that they are out there, but don't care.

Would you post for me on your web sit that I'm unsatisfied ? I did not see a way for me to do it.

My only issue is the way you blew me off with your " award winning customer service " of questioning my ridding pants and underwear in replies to my emails, inplace of trying to work to resolve on issue and have another satisfied customer. And so quickly noting that I was outside the 14 day warranty period. To me it takes time to resolve some of these issues for a custom seat.

It appears that you only have two KLT seats; regular and over sized. Or, at the price of about $75.00 for shipping per change within 14 days to make it custom. That is a lot of $ for something that may not work.

All I'm trying to do is inform others of what may happen, to choose carefully.

In fact if one of your satisfied customers want a Kontour seat now, I'm willing to satisfy that order and sell them mine, which you have stated is made to your " specs ".
Have you tried a Bead Rider? And don't totally blow off the underwear comments. I was planning to have a custom seat made, but given the cost decided to try less expensive alternatives first and work my way up to a full custom seat. I started with LD Comfort riding shorts and they helped a lot. Amazing the difference, especially in hot and humid weather. I then bought a Bead Rider and found that was all I needed for all day comfort (have ridden 600+ miles several times).

I looked into Kontour, but then saw a post where Ron mentioned cutting the seat heater wires in lieu of taking the time to remove the body panels required to get to the connector. I don't take shortcuts and don't knowingly buy from those who do. Just my own policy, YMMV.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #36 of 104 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Have you tried a Bead Rider? And don't totally blow off the underwear comments. I was planning to have a custom seat made, but given the cost decided to try less expensive alternatives first and work my way up to a full custom seat. I started with LD Comfort riding shorts and they helped a lot. Amazing the difference, especially in hot and humid weather. I then bought a Bead Rider and found that was all I needed for all day comfort (have ridden 600+ miles several times).

I looked into Kontour, but then saw a post where Ron mentioned cutting the seat heater wires in lieu of taking the time to remove the body panels required to get to the connector. I don't take shortcuts and don't knowingly buy from those who do. Just my own policy, YMMV.
Um, OK.

Better to spend 1.5 hours removing/re-installing tupperware than 3 minutes reconnecting two non-critical wires.. with crimped telephone line butt connectors, 3M glue lined heat shrink tubing and an additional protective glue lined sheath. (all provided for free..)

I would certify an installation like that for FLIGHT - let alone a motorcycle - in a heart beat.

The damage that a non-mechanically minded person (the owner of the bike) could and most likely would inflict in terms of stripped fasteners, pinched wiring, etc. - not to mention all the cursing and spilled beer - would IMHO opinion be worth not doing it the "BMW way".

Sometimes thinking outside the box is THE way to go.

Did I ever show you how to remove and re-install the rear shock absorber in 15 minutes?? BMW sezs it takes 2.5 hours.

OR, refilling the radiator to capacity without taking ANY tupperware off? HINT: You need to buy $1.00 worth of clear vinyl tubing.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 6th, 2013 at 8:39 pm.
post #37 of 104 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Quote:

The damage that a non-mechanically minded person could inflict in terms of stripped fasteners, pinched wiring, etc. - not to mention all the cursing and spilled beer - would IMHO opinion be worth not doing it the "BMW way".

I was going to comment that I doubt that you, and anyone to whom you would delegate the task of de/re-installing body panels would certainly NOT be a "non-mechanically minded person," but then I read further and read about spilled beer. A MAJOR party foul and good justification for taking a shortcut in order to avoid it.

Oh, the humanity!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #38 of 104 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 8:08 pm

That non mechanically minded person I was referring to is the owner of the bike.

I would never attempt such a lame operation and insult the BMW marque - it would be tantamount to heresy and such - and certainly not meeting the standards of the fatherland engineers - they use cheesy vinyl tubing to cover the wires - that frequently breaks from flexing.

Let's go have beer tomorrow Tony - we can meet in New Mexico.

BTW, My gf says I have a nice "tushie" YRMV.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #39 of 104 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 8:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Um, OK.

Better to spend 1.5 hours removing/re-installing tupperware than 3 minutes reconnecting two non-critical wires.. with crimped telephone line butt connectors, 3M glue lined heat shrink tubing and an additional protective glue lined sheath. (all provided for free..)

I would certify an installation like that for FLIGHT - let alone a motorcycle - in a heart beat.

The damage that a non-mechanically minded person could inflict in terms of stripped fasteners, pinched wiring, etc. - not to mention all the cursing and spilled beer - would IMHO opinion be worth not doing it the "BMW way".

Did I ever show you how to remove and re-install the rear shock absorber in 15 minutes?? BMW sezs it takes 2.5 hours.

OR, refilling the radiator to capacity without taking ANY tupperware off? HINT: You need to buy $1.00 worth of clear vinyl tubing.
So you take shortcuts that damage the wiring AND you hire people who are non-mechanically minded to work on LTs.

Ron, the fundamental rule when you are in a hole and need to get out is to STOP DIGGING!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #40 of 104 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
So you take shortcuts that damage the wiring AND you hire people who are non-mechanically minded to work on LTs.

Ron, the fundamental rule when you are in a hole and need to get out is to STOP DIGGING!
Nope, the owner is the non-mechanically minded person I am speaking about.

Good thing nobody has EVER stripped tupper ware fasteners. Hell, I've re-installed them on my personal bike several dozen times and still have difficulty getting those little buggers aligned.

How do you figure this "damages" the wiring?? Jeez.. all I'm trying to do here is save the owner a lot of friggin' grief - and more importantly - spilled BEER!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #41 of 104 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 9:53 pm

I got both my seats and my passenger backrest on my '09 LT done to KonTour specs in August of 2011. I had to send it all back to Ron after the first 1000 miles to have him fine tune it to my liking. I have now logged over 30,000 miles on this seat. The seat has held up very well and still looks as good as it did the day I got it. I live in middle GA where it gets very hot. When it is GA hot no motorcycle seat is cool but my KonTour seat is definitely cooler than any seat I have ever ridden on. Even on this seat it pays to wear state of the art clothing, to include underwear. If you get sweaty you can definitely feel the cooler air circulating beneath your butt. When riding on the factory comfort seat I had to keep the seat in the higher position. After installing the KonTour I quickly learned that I needed to drop the seat to the lower position. The added padding allowed me to this. I also had to do this to keep from being sore in my crotch/scrotum area. Now 30,000 miles later I can do long days but I do have to move around and I do have to stand on my pegs and use my highway pegs. I have said before and will say again; I should have opted for the Magnum seat even though I am a few ponds shy of the 225 lbs recommended by Ron. Too bad they can't re-mod a seat to Magnum specs once it has been built to standard specs. Part of my discomfort stems from the fact that I am 6' tall with factory foot peg height and I am 61 years young with normally aching legs and knees. I have learned to cope and still do some long days in the saddle. I have never ridden on a Russell Day Long saddle or any of the other so called "Iron Butt" saddles but all things considered I don't think they could offer me a better ride than my KonTour Saddle. I know the competition can't compare as far as looks and the quality couldn't be better either.

Ride Safely,
Steve

'09 K1200LT "Clyde"
'03 K1200LT (totaled out 3-16-11) "The Beast"
'97 K1100LT (104,000) "Red Ryder" (Sold Feb 2013)
'09 KLR 650 "Killer"
'05 KLR 250 "Lil' Killer"
'09 Kymco People 200 S "Wife's Trainer"
'09 Kymco xCiting 500i "Wife's next step"

It is amazing what a little "throttle therapy" will do for you.
post #42 of 104 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 10:17 pm

You must have a lot of disposable time, oh well, someone has to write them, may as well be you.

2015 R1200Rt- Ebony
1978 KZ1000 Ltd- Black
St Clair Shores, Mi
BMWMOA # 185482

Last edited by katnapinn; Nov 7th, 2013 at 8:01 am.
post #43 of 104 Old Nov 6th, 2013, 11:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEBS
You must have a lot of disposable time, oh well, someone has to write them, may as well be you.
You're a funny guy Ron!

I guess 35 unbiased, unsolicited reviews aren't quite enough - but that's OK with me - there are a several hundred more that I *wrote* in my disposable time as CEO of one of the largest aftermarket motorcycle seat manufacturers in the country. I would be happy to publish them here as well but that would be hogging band with, and I've already taken up more than enough.

Perhaps it is hard for you to comprehend that there actually ARE products this good in the marketplace. Products that are made in America, assembled using 100% ISO certified parts sourced from the US or EU, and that come with an unconditional lifetime guarantee for components and labor for the original owner. That guarantee includes wear and tear, boot scuffs, (I've never seen one on our seats) exposure to UV radiation, even crashing! If you can find another aftermarket manufacturer that does this... Gee, even our stainless monel staples (made in Germany) are guaranteed - for life.

We subscribe to Lee Iacocca's philosophy: "Either lead, follow, or get out of the way". It's worked well for us. We haven't seen anyone leading the marketplace except us for many, many years. We have seen lots of followers. We're now seeing several of the "old school" guys fade away due to lack of innovation and terrible business practices.

Perhaps you might believe this pole taken in 2005 - Our VERY first year in business - going up against all of the "big dogs" - or should I say big "dogma".

I guess the opinions of these 144 LT riders were written by me too:

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...=&view=&sb=&o=

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/view...2613BillyOmaha

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Nov 6th, 2013 at 11:21 pm.
post #44 of 104 Old Nov 7th, 2013, 8:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY
Hi,

Does anyone perhaps have a picture of the contour seat on a LT? I have also experienced the same pain in the butt after a long journey with the standard drivers seat.

Might wanna get one myself.

Rusty
By the way...I like mine Like my Mom used to say, "Their is an asshole for every toilet seat"...LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010145.JPG
Views:	763
Size:	517.7 KB
ID:	44690   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010149.JPG
Views:	1028
Size:	483.6 KB
ID:	44698  

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #45 of 104 Old Nov 7th, 2013, 11:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
You're a funny guy Ron!

I guess 35 unbiased, unsolicited reviews aren't quite enough - but that's OK with me - there are a several hundred more that I *wrote* in my disposable time as CEO of one of the largest aftermarket motorcycle seat manufacturers in the country. I would be happy to publish them here as well but that would be hogging band with, and I've already taken up more than enough.

Perhaps it is hard for you to comprehend that there actually ARE products this good in the marketplace. Products that are made in America, assembled using 100% ISO certified parts sourced from the US or EU, and that come with an unconditional lifetime guarantee for components and labor for the original owner. That guarantee includes wear and tear, boot scuffs, (I've never seen one on our seats) exposure to UV radiation, even crashing! If you can find another aftermarket manufacturer that does this... Gee, even our stainless monel staples (made in Germany) are guaranteed - for life.

We subscribe to Lee Iacocca's philosophy: "Either lead, follow, or get out of the way". It's worked well for us. We haven't seen anyone leading the marketplace except us for many, many years. We have seen lots of followers. We're now seeing several of the "old school" guys fade away due to lack of innovation and terrible business practices.

Perhaps you might believe this pole taken in 2005 - Our VERY first year in business - going up against all of the "big dogs" - or should I say big "dogma".

Being such a great leader of a such a great company, seems it would be a no-brainer to attempt to fix loansumriders seat. That is what separates great companies from the rest.

And, no, I don't know loansumrider from Adam and have no financial or other interest in his happiness or anything else.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #46 of 104 Old Nov 7th, 2013, 11:27 am

Quote:
That non mechanically minded person I was referring to is the owner of the bike.

I would never attempt such a lame operation and insult the BMW marque - it would be tantamount to heresy and such - and certainly not meeting the standards of the fatherland engineers - they use cheesy vinyl tubing to cover the wires - that frequently breaks from flexing.

Let's go have beer tomorrow Tony - we can meet in New Mexico.

BTW, My gf says I have a nice "tushie" YRMV.
Maybe not tomorrow, but the LT and I will probably be making the seemingly monthly DFW-SMO run Thanksgiving week to help Mum get settled into her new home. Last few have been in the cage, but with Suzanne on duty I will probably make the solo run on the LT.

Happy to buy you a beer and hang out any time our paths cross, as long as you do not commit the heresy of spilling your beer, wine, or other alcohol beverage! :-)

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #47 of 104 Old Nov 7th, 2013, 12:41 pm

Quote:
You're a funny guy Ron!

Well thank you Ron, I don't hear that very often as I am not very witty and I certainly don't have your typing skills. Now back to your disposable time, as the largest aftermarket saddle maker I'm sure you have hundreds of more good reviews to write. But keep those reviews coming, I know how to scroll right past them without reading a single one of them.

Customer service Ron, that seems to be what your posting about and trying to defend in a couple of threads, you don't have to defend yourself unless your customer service has something to be desired. The ones that complain and you do nothing for are the ones that stick to your Kontour reputation. Put your arrogance aside and take care of the ones with a problem, in your words your the largest aftermarket saddle maker, I don't think you would go broke by taking care of these folks unless there are to many of them.

2015 R1200Rt- Ebony
1978 KZ1000 Ltd- Black
St Clair Shores, Mi
BMWMOA # 185482

post #48 of 104 Old Nov 7th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Maybe not tomorrow, but the LT and I will probably be making the seemingly monthly DFW-SMO run Thanksgiving week to help Mum get settled into her new home. Last few have been in the cage, but with Suzanne on duty I will probably make the solo run on the LT.

Happy to buy you a beer and hang out any time our paths cross, as long as you do not commit the heresy of spilling your beer, wine, or other alcohol beverage! :-)

Hell, come to Phoenix and I will buy you both a beer!!

Why am I here and what day is it??
post #49 of 104 Old Nov 7th, 2013, 8:03 pm

Quote:
"...we subscribe to Lee Iacocca's philosophy: Either lead, follow, or get out of the way".
Actually, I think Ted Turner said it before Iacocca. I used to work for him, and he said it a lot in the early 80's.

Also - I've taken my Tupperware off many times and always strip or lose at least one fastener.

Sorry to be so off topic. I'm enjoying the thread.
post #50 of 104 Old Nov 7th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewards
I'm enjoying the thread.
+1

Interesting and unfortunate all at the same time

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in