Hyperpro Springs and Shocks - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2013, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Cool Hyperpro Springs and Shocks

Hi All:
After reading the archived threads and current posts I have seen a lot of different opinions on shocks and springs. I have read a lot about the Olhin, and Wilber shocks. I have also seen a lot on the Hyperpro springs on OEM shocks. I was wondering if any has purchased the Hyperpro spring and shock package. Other than the $$$ is there any negative issues with their package. Also how about their steering damper?

L. Jay Keeran
K6LJK
2009 LT "USS Defiant"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2013, 1:55 pm

Re: Hyperpro Springs and Shocks

I helped a friend install the hyper-pro shocks on his bike and he did have some probelms with them. I think the factory stepped up and made things right. Hopefully he will respond to this thread.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholdroaddog
Hi All:
After reading the archived threads and current posts I have seen a lot of different opinions on shocks and springs. I have read a lot about the Olhin, and Wilber shocks. I have also seen a lot on the Hyperpro springs on OEM shocks. I was wondering if any has purchased the Hyperpro spring and shock package. Other than the $$$ is there any negative issues with their package. Also how about their steering damper?
I just put a set on my 2000 model. The ride is a little stiffer but very stable without dragging the centerstand anymore.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2013, 3:23 pm

I used the hyperpro's on the oem springs and cannot believe how much better the ride is! I can really tell a positive difference between the old single rate springs vs the progressives. Totally worth the investment and effort to change them out.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #5 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2013, 5:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Hyperpro Springs and Shocks

Last year, I sent the OEM rear shock to up to Klaus at EPM to do the rebuild service and install the Hyperpro spring. While my LT was in dry dock awaiting return of the shock, I decided to go ahead and purchase a new front shock as well. After installing them both, it was as if I had a brand new bike. It's more stable, handles well and allows for much more aggressive cornering. I'm still playing with the adjustments to get the perfect combination of comfort and handling. Customer service was great...Overall, it was well worth the investment.

I don't have the steering damper. I had the chance to handle the damper and speak with the EPM staff at their booth in Sedalia. For a few brief seconds, I thought about buying one, but it's pricey and mine still works quite well.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #6 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2013, 11:11 pm

Back in 2010 (I think) I purchased a front and rear shock for my K1200LT. I re-used the Pre-Load adjuster from the old rear shock and installed it on the new shock. At first everything went great loved the ride and handling but less than a year later both shocks were leaking oil. I purchased the shocks from Annitori Distributing because they were local to me; couple of miles from my home. They were great and had them re-build at no charge. The next year I was out riding and this happened:

The bottom fork pulled out of the bottom of the shock. The shock folded up into frame and my LT became the first low rider; well at least that I know of. It also broke the hose fitting off the pre-load adjuster. Lucky for me I was near a friends house who happened to have a used rear shock and the other pieces needed to make it whole again.

Once again Annitori was great and replaced the shock and pre-load adjuster at no charge. They also reimbursed me for the labor and parts needed to fix the bike.Hyper Pro factory did said it was my fault and I must of unscrewed the fork from the shock leaving to little tread in the bottom of the shock; not. The bad news is Annitori is no longer an distributor for Hyper Pro; not sure they are even in business anymore.

I love the handling and ride but I don't think the quality with Hyper Pro is that great; if you just wants springs I won't worry and would buy them. Hard to screw up a spring. If you're in the market for shocks then I would go with another manufacture. This is just my opinon based on my experience. I'm sure someone(s) will pop up and have wonderful stories about the Hyper Pro Shocks but their not something I would buy again.

I'm almost afraid to go and look at them this spring. I know think happy thoughts.

Will Hedgspeth
03 LTE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005A.jpg
Views:	1667
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	37519  
post #7 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 8:12 am

Springs make it like a new bike!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 9:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr
I used the hyperpro's on the oem springs and cannot believe how much better the ride is! I can really tell a positive difference between the old single rate springs vs the progressives. Totally worth the investment and effort to change them out.
I have my new springs in my Topcase today and I am having them installed next week while I am up snowboarding. Cant wait to take a 90 mph trip up I 17 next weekend to try them out!
post #9 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 2:31 pm

I just received my hyperpro replacement spring for the front of my 2000 Lt. The new purple spring has a bit greater coil diameter than the OEM. Is it supposed to be?

Thanks

John Maki
Cederedge, Co

'00 K1200Lt
Unigo Trailer
post #10 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 10:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsjohn
I just received my hyperpro replacement spring for the front of my 2000 Lt. The new purple spring has a bit greater coil diameter than the OEM. Is it supposed to be?

Thanks
The Hyperpro Springs are beefier than OEM. I took my OEM shocks (with OEM springs) to the local Big O tire store, and they mounted the Hyperpros for me for $45.

Best money I ever spent. Love the ride.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #11 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 10:59 pm

Hey Brian

I have an 06 LT that is in need of springs and shocks. Where did you get your Hyperpro's from?

Charlie
Fremont,Ca.
post #12 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2013, 11:26 pm

epmperf.com/hyperpro-springs.htm

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #13 of 20 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
The Hyperpro Springs are beefier than OEM. I took my OEM shocks (with OEM springs) to the local Big O tire store, and they mounted the Hyperpros for me for $45.

Best money I ever spent. Love the ride.
I took my new front spring to the local BigO here in Estes Park and they said they couldn't do it. Went to NAPA who recommended a local shop......20 bucks at CTM (Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles).

My bit of concern about the greater diameter of the Hyperpro spring was unwarranted. With all the info provided on this forum, the old came off and the new went on without a hitch.

John Maki
Cederedge, Co

'00 K1200Lt
Unigo Trailer
post #14 of 20 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 11:50 am

SEE THE CLASSIFIEDS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaioli
Hey Brian

I have an 06 LT that is in need of springs and shocks. Where did you get your Hyperpro's from?

Charlie
Fremont,Ca.

Stan
1999 K1200LT
2006 R1200GS
1996 R850R
post #15 of 20 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Thanks Mike, I contacted them today and will be getting more info from them about what I should need for my 06 LT.

Charlie
Fremont,Ca
post #16 of 20 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 8:39 pm

I am going to change out the springs on my bike next weekend, just wondering if this type spring compressor would work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_18480.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	37537  

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #17 of 20 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 7:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
I am going to change out the springs on my bike next weekend, just wondering if this type spring compressor would work
Don't know if it will fit the springs or not. I built my own compressor(s) with help from this list. I can look up the drawings and send you some pics of mine if you wish. Or if nothing else I'll loan you mine if you cover shipping to and from.
Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #18 of 20 Old Jan 27th, 2013, 9:11 am

Smile Re: Hyperpro Springs and Shocks

Thanks Robert,
let me see if they work, if not and I cannot get anywhere around here to change them out I will give you a shout.

post #19 of 20 Old Oct 23rd, 2014, 10:03 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr View Post
I used the hyperpro's on the oem springs
Have you done a video on installing a Hyperpro on the stock rear shock? I would be really interested to see that.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

post #20 of 20 Old Oct 24th, 2014, 5:43 am

Sorry no. It is pretty straight forward once you get the spring compressed. The U shaped bracket unscrews and lets you get the spring out.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in