Changing Transmission Fluid - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Changing Transmission Fluid

I've been enjoying my '05 LT for about three months and 2000 miles so far. I have been having one hell of a time seeing my oil level through the site glass but I know it was just changed at 1300 miles so I am assuming (stupid) that it is ok since I can't see it. But the transmission fluid is a different matter.

The manual doesn't mention checking the trans fluid. Not a problem right now because I am having it changed at the dealer later this month over to fully synthetic, but what do I do after that? Do I just assume (stupid again) that the level is right or is there a way to KNOW its ok?

Your input is sincerely appreciated as always.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 6:12 pm

Just ride it and change it at specified interval. We've been changing our rear end fluid every oil change just to look at the magnet in the hopes of a intervention.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 6:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGray
I've been enjoying my '05 LT for about three months and 2000 miles so far. I have been having one hell of a time seeing my oil level through the site glass but I know it was just changed at 1300 miles so I am assuming (stupid) that it is ok since I can't see it. But the transmission fluid is a different matter.

The manual doesn't mention checking the trans fluid. Not a problem right now because I am having it changed at the dealer later this month over to fully synthetic, but what do I do after that? Do I just assume (stupid again) that the level is right or is there a way to KNOW its ok?

Your input is sincerely appreciated as always.

Steve
First off congratulations of owning such a nice machine. Engines can comsume oil through the cylinders and burn it during cumbustion. This is why it is so important to keep an eye on it. Unlike some motorcycles which combine engine and transmission oil your BMW has a sealed, gear oil specific, transmission. Your transmission churns in its own lube and is happy to just splash around. However, if you see a leak of oil under your said transmission be concerned.

You can pull off your right footpeg plate (carefully tie it up to protect the rear brake mastercylinder and hose) and pull your transmission fill plug. Your tansmission fluid level should be even with the bottom of the fill plug hole (or within a MM or so). IHTH

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 8:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

At least on my 05 I can only see oil in the sight glass on the center stand. If it is on the side stand on level gound I see nothing. Oh and if the transmission starts leaking you will notice it. Just had my rear seal replaced under warranty.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 9 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 9:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, guys. I appreciate it.
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:59 pm

On my 05' when I check mine in the morning before a ride with the bike on the center stand, not running, oil is above half way point in the site glass.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 12:39 am

If you are changing your bike's fluids you will need a 14mm allen wrench. Problem is, there isn't enough room to turn one.

Solution:
- get a 14mm allen wrench (you will probably only find this at a "bolt supply" house
- using a Dremel cutoff wheel, cut about an inch (or 25mm) or so off the long end of the allen
- now, you can put the 14mm allen into a 14mm socket with universal joint you can loosen, remove and reinstall the plug to the correct torque.
- I used a 14mm 12point combo wrench instead of the socket the first time... worked just as well.

Make sure bike is on CS when you check fluids... and please, clean the bike before you begin.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 9 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 1:36 am

Hello Stephen, and welcome to a ride you are sure to enjoy!
You mentioned in your first post that you were switching to synthetic. Were you speaking of the transmission only or also the engine oil?
If you were including engine oil I would urge you to put another zero behind your mileage first-----to make certain that your rings are well seated.
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

Roy,
I'm switching to fully synthetic in the trans and rear drive only. I will probably wait until I reach 15,000 miles and then go fully synthtic in the crankcase also. Probably what you had in mind.

Thanks,
Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in