Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Question

I've checked to make sure there's nothing in my tyres but I can feel a flat spot, kinda like driving over expansion cuts in concrete with each rotation of my tyres. I've checked the pads and calipers, no damage. anyone ever had this happen?

Sam

Murphy's law & no Excuses!
and no1 can argue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 10:15 pm

Re: Question

I would say that your tires are cupping. Very normal on motorcycles in general. It's usually the front tire that cups, and if you look real close you can actually see the ridging/cupping.

Having said that, I would also spin the tire while on the center stand just to rule out any defects in the tire itself.

Just do a search on tires or cupping and you will find a lot of information...

Bill (aka Chipper)
Elk Grove Ca.
2014 K1600GTL-E
2009 K1200LT (BLACK)-Traded In
2004 RTP Work Bike(Retired)
2002 LTE Totaled Aug/2011)
1978 H-D LowRider
1975 Honda-Goldwing
post #3 of 10 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 10:32 pm

Did you verify the tire pressure? I discovered I had been riding on a nearly flat tire for a couple of days, and wondered about the funny bumpy floaty feeling, discovered the tire had about 10psi, a result of a good screwing... ..I mean a screw in the tire...I was impressed at how stout the sidewalls of the tires are, as I could hardly see much deformity in the tire from the low pressure...and I was able to ride on it with hardly any pressure.....Boy! 48psi feels much better.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Inspected tyres and no cupping at 42 & 46 Lb.s. No vibration in brakes as applied, no wobble in tyres or rotors or calipers. feels like a high spot on each rotation.

and no1 can argue!
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 5:57 pm
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTExfisher
Inspected tyres and no cupping at 42 & 46 Lb.s. No vibration in brakes as applied, no wobble in tyres or rotors or calipers. feels like a high spot on each rotation.
Could it be that you have too much tie pressure? Owner manual states 36.3 front, 42.1 rear.

USN Retired
IBA #37743
2005 K1200LT O'l Blue (Mine)
2002 R1150RT (Hers)
Cage-2006 SLK 280
Previous Rides: 2006 VTX 1300R, 1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, Countless Dirt Bikes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 6:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTExfisher
Tire brand?
Mileage?
There have been past instances of delamination of tread and carcass on certain brand tires. I've got two Bridgestone failed tires in my storage unit, and one failed Metzeler. Both Bridgestones showed a 'slight' out of round condition upon slow rotation, butt when they were de-mounted, it wuz obvious the inner layer of the tire had delaminated - large balloon looking area. Were I you, I'd take a look inside the tire.
post #7 of 10 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Cool Re: Question

Sam, double check your Final Drive (FD) for any looseness or leakage! I had this very same sensation many years ago on an asphalt stretch of Hwy that I knew contained no expansion joints and finally had the FD start spewing fluid all over the rear wheel!

It can be very sinister, this FD of ours!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #8 of 10 Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:18 am Thread Starter

Garage

That's the answer I was dreading. Both Metzlers are under 2,000 miles and look great, on the out side. I'll be doing a fluid change on the Final Drive over my weekend.
Thanks for the assistance.

and no1 can argue!
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 21st, 2013, 1:22 am
Super Moderator

Check the age of the tire - there are 4 digits embossed in the tire they stand for WWYY the week of
the year and year the tire was made - just to check age but it sounds like yours are fairly new!!

Look on the rear tire on the side near the swing arm in the event that it is hitting the swing arm -
ask me how I know!! I had a Bridgestone radial delaminate and started rubbing the swing arm -
there is about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch clearance there

Sometimes people forget to put the wheel spacer back on the wheel when doing a tire
replacement !!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Swapped out my fluid and found it clean, no shavings, water or discoloration. Next step is pull the tyre and see if the spacer was replaced.

and no1 can argue!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in