Motorcycle covers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Jan 18th, 2013, 12:13 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Motorcycle covers

I bought an '07 LT in June and plan on taking it cross country this summer. Any recommendations on good, light weight covers that are easily stowed and take up little area? My preference is something akin to a California Car Cover superweave-type material that I use on my 66 Fastback GT. Also, what size fits best, as none of the boxes they come in really show the dimensions or picture of a big bike with the rear box. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Jan 18th, 2013, 4:23 am

Re: Motorcycle covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003
I bought an '07 LT in June and plan on taking it cross country this summer. Any recommendations on good, light weight covers that are easily stowed and take up little area? My preference is something akin to a California Car Cover superweave-type material that I use on my 66 Fastback GT. Also, what size fits best, as none of the boxes they come in really show the dimensions or picture of a big bike with the rear box. Thanks!
What's the cover for?

Crossed the country north / south and east/west. Never had a need for a cover.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old Jan 18th, 2013, 5:48 am

Quote:
I have the Aerostich for my GTL. It's a bit pricey but provides unsurpassed convenience and functionality:
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-u...-covers-4.html

You'll want the large size.

Here's what I wrote about it responding to a question re: using it on a GTL:
Quote:
The small packed size and light weight ensures that it is always with me when I need it. It is always in my side bag, so it's there for not only for trips but also the unexpected rain if I am somewhere local and don't want a soaked seat when I finish breakfast.

The built-in storage sack is perfect, and it's a snap to stuff the cover in there. (It looks impossible the first time, but trust me, it's so easy even King Klutz can do it.)

You'll want the "large" for the GTL. The front will snug up under the wheel and completely cover the front of the bike. With top case on, it will tuck in nicely under the license plate holder, covering the cans and pegs; just the bottom of the rear wheel is exposed. With the top case off, it will snug up under the rear wheel and cover everything.

It has a built-in drawstring to cinch the cover up tight around the bottom. You'll want to keep a short bungee on hand for extra snugness in case of wind; the cover has eyelets for just this purpose.

Although they are careful not to say that it's waterproof, for my purposes it has proven to be. It would probably leak some if left out for days, but I have never found my bike wet even after some pretty stout overnight rains (and a hailstorm).

Money very well spent IMO.
Here's feature #1:

I would suggest giving them a call for first-hand info on fitment for an LT, if no LT owners here chime in. I would expect it to fit very comparably to how it fits on the GTL with the top box on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AerostichCoverPacked.jpg
Views:	1320
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	37433  

post #4 of 37 Old Jan 18th, 2013, 6:24 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I use the Dowco Guardian Traveler 1/2 cover when traveling. Packs up very small plus gives good coverage. You will need the X-Large. You can store it on the LT behind the passenger seat back between the seat & top case.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 37 Old Jan 18th, 2013, 1:44 pm

My LT came with a Geza cover. It's a stretchy material. Supposed to be good enough to use on the bike if trailered.
It's a heavy material though very form fitting (like Lycra), but mine has lost it's elasticity. Admittedly, I'm not sure how old the cover is. It could be as old as the bike.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #6 of 37 Old Jan 18th, 2013, 2:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33
My LT came with a Geza cover. It's a stretchy material. Supposed to be good enough to use on the bike if trailered.
It's a heavy material though very form fitting (like Lycra), but mine has lost it's elasticity. Admittedly, I'm not sure how old the cover is. It could be as old as the bike.
WOW $164.00-$300+

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #7 of 37 Old Jan 18th, 2013, 3:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Motorcycle covers

I highly recommend the EZ Touring traveller 1/2 cover. Costs about $100.00. I've had it for 5 years and found it to be very durable. It covers all the important parts of the bike and packs up small. It has the perfect amount of coverage for when you are out on a trip. In my opinion the 1/2 size makes it a less attractive item for thieves.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #8 of 37 Old Jan 18th, 2013, 3:25 pm

If you want cheap, I've heard that the Ultragard Touring 1/2 cover (for Goldwing) fits the LT pretty well. and it has felt on the inside for the windshield, and it's only $38.00

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #9 of 37 Old Jan 18th, 2013, 9:54 pm

Thumbs up Re: Motorcycle covers

Quote:

I use this one every day at my work to cover my bike...
Walmart $20 size Large
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorcycle...Large/16817257
post #10 of 37 Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:06 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1811
I highly recommend the EZ Touring traveller 1/2 cover. Costs about $100.00. I've had it for 5 years and found it to be very durable. It covers all the important parts of the bike and packs up small. It has the perfect amount of coverage for when you are out on a trip. In my opinion the 1/2 size makes it a less attractive item for thieves.
+1... I used the half cover on my LT and RT

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #11 of 37 Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:19 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve102
I use this one every day at my work to cover my bike...
Walmart $20 size Large
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorcycle...Large/16817257
You wouldn't want to take that on the road... May take up a lot of space.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #12 of 37 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 1:32 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Re: Motorcycle covers

Thanks for everyone's comments to my post from yesterday. I've been really impressed with this site and the wealth of information we can tap in to! I haven't figured out how you guys have been able to post current and past bikes and states visited yet - I can't imagine you have to re-enter this with every post. Thanks again!
post #13 of 37 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 6:07 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's comments to my post from yesterday. I've been really impressed with this site and the wealth of information we can tap in to! I haven't figured out how you guys have been able to post current and past bikes and states visited yet - I can't imagine you have to re-enter this with every post. Thanks again!
Go to "UserPC"
click edit signature
put in what ever info you want for your signature
Click save

GO HERE for a thread on how to put the map into your signature.

Stevie Shreeve
post #14 of 37 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 7:46 am
Super Moderator

Own both . . .

Walmart Cover
Pros: Cheap
Cons: Packs out a little large - not really water proof

Geza Cover
Pros: Cool looking
Cons: Pricey - not water proof at all - after a couple of years saggy and baggy

Most all covers will require that you fabricate a hole on them to accomodate the regular bike antenna!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #15 of 37 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 8:32 am

Ole Toad's cover is 13 years old and looks/works as new. Packs small in it's 10"x5" knapsack, easy on/off; no worries on windshield scratching; fits LTs with/without top trunk; ripstop material; elastic bottom hem for snug fit, easy to shake/wipe dew/moisture off exterior. I'd buy another if this one ever croaks!

http://eztouring.com/wanderer.htm
post #16 of 37 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:47 am

+1 on the Geza. I have their Superlightweight for my RT.

Super-Light SeriesSize Application: Available in ALL Sizes. Use: The Super-Light Series is another of our latest offerings. This material was designed for those who spend more time traveling, touring, commuting to work and taking the weekend-end roadtrip where luggage space is at a premium. We have a saying, "no matter how good your motorcycle cover may be, if it is too big to take with you it will stay at home."

The Super-Light Series was born out of the need to create the most packable motorcycle cover possible WITHOUT compromising weather protection and long-term durability. Usually, the lighter and more packable you go, the less protective and less durable the material. At Geza Gear, the exact opposite is true - as you go up in our Fabric Series, the size and weight go down, and the performance, strength and durability go up. The Holy Grail of motorcycle covers now exists!

If your needs are not for high-speed long distance towing, and more for travel and touring, the new Super-Light Series is the one to get!

Depending on the size you need, it can be built with 6 to 12 towing tie-down points along the perimeter of the cover to further secure it when you need to transport your bike.

Ideal for travel and touring. Indoor and daily outdoor use. Moderate towing capability.Material: LX88 Features: Scratch-Proof, Breathable, Double Bonded with Vaporlon Water Repellency, Triple Bonded with UV Inhibitors, Tear-Proof, Portable, Dust-Proof, Towable, Machine Wash and Dry, Lockable. Tow Rating: 95 mph Color: Jet Black Price: $249.95 - Small and Medium Order Now
$284.95 - Large Order Now
$299.95 - X-Large Order Now

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #17 of 37 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 11:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Which ones have a slot/hole/opening for the LT's antenna?

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #18 of 37 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Garage

My wife bought me a cover.
I am using it for the first time this winter. I don't know where it came from but the label says Classic Accessories so I looked up that site and saw one like mine made by Dawco who made the one that I had for my GW. Anyways The material seems durable, it covers the whole bike, but for the antennae. I can't find my wrench to fold it down. There are also slits or vents near the mirrors and the usual linings for windshield and pipes. I'm satisfied. Have not considered taking it on trips.
ride safe
post #19 of 37 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1811
+1 on this - packs small enough that it fitted between the passenger seat cushion and the top case, but easy to fit, very durable, works very well. Very happy with mine (and I bought it second hand at a lower price too so I'm very happy indeed).

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #20 of 37 Old Jan 19th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Ole Toad's cover is 13 years old and looks/works as new. Packs small in it's 10"x5" knapsack, easy on/off; no worries on windshield scratching; fits LTs with/without top trunk; ripstop material; elastic bottom hem for snug fit, easy to shake/wipe dew/moisture off exterior. I'd buy another if this one ever croaks!

http://eztouring.com/wanderer.htm
+1 on the eztouring my Traveller half cover is little over 10years old and still going looks good.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #21 of 37 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 8:16 am

Don't know if DOWCO still offers a Life Time Warranty but in 1990 they did. I used one of their covers on my '90 GW which sat in the parking lot in Florida 5 days a week for 8 years until I retired. In '99 I bought my first K1200LT and found that the 10 year old cover was pretty much at the end of it's life. I sent an email to DOWCO inquiring about a replacement under the Life Time Warranty. The response was near immediate and said I should return my cover and they would send a replacement. Within about 7 days I had a brand new identical cover delivered. I still have and use that cover. Don't know if they still offer that warranty but in my experience their product and customer service are first rate.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #22 of 37 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
Don't know if DOWCO still offers a Life Time Warranty but in 1990 they did. I used one of their covers on my '90 GW which sat in the parking lot in Florida 5 days a week for 8 years until I retired. In '99 I bought my first K1200LT and found that the 10 year old cover was pretty much at the end of it's life. I sent an email to DOWCO inquiring about a replacement under the Life Time Warranty. The response was near immediate and said I should return my cover and they would send a replacement. Within about 7 days I had a brand new identical cover delivered. I still have and use that cover. Don't know if they still offer that warranty but in my experience their product and customer service are first rate.

Yes sir they still offer the lifetime warranty.
http://www.dowcopowersports.com/home.aspx

Sounds good. I may just get one for that reason.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #23 of 37 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 11:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

How about the BMW covers? (this one was recenlty advertised on the site )

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2016 Spain & Portugal

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #24 of 37 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 11:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedTi
Yes sir they still offer the lifetime warranty.
http://www.dowcopowersports.com/home.aspx

Sounds good. I may just get one for that reason.
Only on the big heavy duty model. No one is going to travel with that.

the lightweight travel friendly version is 3 years.

and I quote the OP's original post

"I bought an '07 LT in June and plan on taking it cross country this summer. Any recommendations on good, light weight covers that are easily stowed and take up little area?"

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #25 of 37 Old Jan 20th, 2013, 9:05 pm

I am very happy with the BMW half cover. It comes with an opening for the antenna (can be closed with velcro if bike doesn't have an antenna). The large size fits either my 2007 LT or my 2011 RT (with bags and top case). It's $45.
post #26 of 37 Old Jan 21st, 2013, 8:00 am

I know that I had a smart A$$ comment at the start of this thread, but I would like to inquire how many of us actually use a cover while traveling.

I would guess that on an average year my LT sleeps outside 40 nights a year. The rest she is in the garage.

I have never considered using a cover. Too much room required to pack one, having to put it on and take it off in the morning. What if the cover is WET, where do I put it so it does not get everything else wet during the day, etc... These are a few other issues in my mind with using a cover.

At the end of the day, I take my GPS and Radar Detector off, put it in my tank bag and take the tank bag and other items inside for the night and lock the bike.

So how many of us use a cover while traveling?

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #27 of 37 Old Jan 21st, 2013, 8:06 am

I use one for camping, where and when I camp (first camp of the year) there is a lot of dust in the day (no biggie) and in the mornings there's a lot of moisture on the seat when I go to head out... so I use it to keep the bike dry for the next morning's breakfast run

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #28 of 37 Old Jan 21st, 2013, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
So how many of us use a cover while traveling?
I have.
It's recommended for security reasons.

Sounds crazy eh? But it's the out-of-sight..out-of-mind effect. With the cover on (even a half-cover), it just makes the bike look less inviting, less appealing, less interesting. It helps dissuade casual passerbys from perching on the bike or wondering what's in all those feebly locked compartments.
True it does not provide any real physical security, but is an additional layer that can slow down a low-life. Remember, a key component to theft and burglary are about getting in-and-out quickly.

Also helps keep bird poop off the bike.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #29 of 37 Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 2:31 pm

Garage

In the days of convertible sport toys I never saw one with a travel cover.
I think cover for a bike is more for extended periods of protection like from the elements. Rain and sun are normal and expected not a freak hail storm. Trailering or ferrying YES a cover, a stay in the desert or by the beach YES but prying eyes we can't stop of these beautiful machines.
That's like getting an ugly bride so no one would look at her Just saying
ride safe
post #30 of 37 Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 9:44 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Jim,
After reading all the posts and looking around at a variety of options (including going to the California Car Cover showroom and eyeballing their Superweave cover, I took you up on your recommendation and bought an Aerostich cover. I had thought of putting a grommet or having a custom button-hole sewed in to it for the antenna, but after putting it on the bike, am thinking the material may not be able to handle this mod. Did you do anything with yours (don't know if you have the same problem with an antenna), other than unscrew the antenna every time you use it? The antenna is to long to stow on the bike and I really didn't want to have to take it with me. BTW - I did speak with Aerostich about the mod and impact on the warranty. Thanks!
post #31 of 37 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 11:46 am
r75

I removed the antenna, put the cover on, marked the hole location, and installed Coghlan's 706 Plastic Grommet to reinforce the hole.

Bill
1999 K1200LT
2002 K1200RS
post #32 of 37 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 10:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33
I have.
It's recommended for security reasons.

Sounds crazy eh? But it's the out-of-sight..out-of-mind effect. With the cover on (even a half-cover), it just makes the bike look less inviting, less appealing, less interesting. It helps dissuade casual passerbys from perching on the bike or wondering what's in all those feebly locked compartments.
True it does not provide any real physical security, but is an additional layer that can slow down a low-life. Remember, a key component to theft and burglary are about getting in-and-out quickly.

Also helps keep bird poop off the bike.
+1 all around

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #33 of 37 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 5:44 am

Quote:
Hi Jim,
After reading all the posts and looking around at a variety of options (including going to the California Car Cover showroom and eyeballing their Superweave cover, I took you up on your recommendation and bought an Aerostich cover. I had thought of putting a grommet or having a custom button-hole sewed in to it for the antenna, but after putting it on the bike, am thinking the material may not be able to handle this mod. Did you do anything with yours (don't know if you have the same problem with an antenna), other than unscrew the antenna every time you use it? The antenna is to long to stow on the bike and I really didn't want to have to take it with me. BTW - I did speak with Aerostich about the mod and impact on the warranty. Thanks!
The antenna on the GTL is below windshield height and aligns with it, so no issue there.

Sounds like r75 has the answer.

How hard is the antenna to get on and off? Is it like my car where you can just unscrew it by hand? What did Aerostich have to say?
post #34 of 37 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 9:40 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage

The antenna on "Jenna" 2005 LT is easy to remove and replace. I use the plastic puck that BMW supplied IIRC either 17 or 19 mm. Never had any issues with springs or things falling out, in fact don't think it even has one. Radio works fine. Use an EZ Wanderer with no grommet for the antenna. Lay the antenna in the trailer or just on the seat when the cover is on. Use the traveller cover on the trailer. Very happy with both.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #35 of 37 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 8:21 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Aerostich originally replied that I would void the warranty if I modified their cover for the antenna and suggested taking the antenna off every time I used wanted to use the cover. When I responded that I wasn't interested in buying a product that the company would not honor their warranty for any failure unrelated to the modification, another rep responded that they would. That response caused me to have a change of heart and see if I could actually use it after I had a chance to touch and feel it. I'm inclined to go with a grommet if I can find one that can adequately clamp on to the material. Taking the antenna off isn't a problem but I don't want to carry it with me when off the bike. Thanks!
post #36 of 37 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Aerostich originally replied that I would void the warranty if I modified their cover for the antenna and suggested taking the antenna off every time I used wanted to use the cover. When I responded that I wasn't interested in buying a product that the company would not honor their warranty for any failure unrelated to the modification, another rep responded that they would. That response caused me to have a change of heart and see if I could actually use it after I had a chance to touch and feel it. I'm inclined to go with a grommet if I can find one that can adequately clamp on to the material. Taking the antenna off isn't a problem but I don't want to carry it with me when off the bike. Thanks!
You can't just lay it on the seat and then cover it up?
post #37 of 37 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 5:10 am

I use the Bike Condom cover when I travel on my RT.
It's a thin plastic cover disposable cover. I have used it many, many times and as long as you are extra careful you will get multiple uses out of it.

It covers half the bike.

I think they are around $10.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in