Muffler Chrome Removal? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:41 pm Thread Starter

Muffler Chrome Removal?

Hi y'all. Has anybody had occassion to remove the chrome jacket from an LT muffler? I'm not talking about the heat shield, but rather the chrome sleeve around the muffler. There are two screws that appear to hold it on. I've removed the two screws, but the curved exhaust tip keeps the chrome sleeve from sliding off.

Background for the curious. I have a big rock ding in a header pipe. I have a line on a used LT exhaust, but the chrome is trashed. If I can move my chrome to the used exhaust, I can get out of this cheap.

Any words of wisdom, insults or jibes, would be welcome.

-joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 7:50 am

been there - done that.
If memory serves, there's a 'keeper' on the top of the chrome. loosen the rider peg assembly and you'll see it.
The chrome will slide off the end of the exhaust, in spite of the downturn, but it's like removing a tight girdle. If what you want is under the girdle, you'll get it off!
Careful replacing the chrome, it kinda 'snaps' in place, I almost caught a finger under it.
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwchfc
If memory serves, there's a 'keeper' on the top of the chrome. loosen the rider peg assembly and you'll see it.
Thanks, Dave. I was hoping somebody out there had done this operation, and that has given me hope. However, perhaps they've changed the design a bit. I'm not sure what you mean by a keeper, but there doesn't appear to be any other fasteners anywhere else on the chrome on this baby, aside from the two screws I mentioned previously. The exhaust system is off the bike too, so I can flip it around any way I want to look at it. You're right -- it's a very tight "girdle" fit. But I can't seem get it to change trajectory at all to clear that downturned exhaust tube. Thanks again for your response.

-joel

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Got it

Just to follow up my own post, in case this info may prove useful to somebody in the future....

I finally got the chrome sleeve off. What did it was to use a dremel tool to grind down the end of the turn-down exhaust tip enough to clear the opening. I took maybe 1/8" off in the areas were it was hanging up.

regards,
-joel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in