When LT meets Buick - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 3:22 pm Thread Starter

When LT meets Buick

While they took the 2003 Buick off on a roll back as well, I find little consolation in the state of my LT. For the Buick will live to see another day, and the insurance has deemed my LT DOA.
BUT......the lady truned in front of me and I slammed into the side of her car at 40MPH with all the brakes I could find, and from the pictures you'd think that I should be writing this from the hospital, while in fact I walked away from the wreck with only sore shoulders and a small amount of road rash. I can't see the same outcome having been the result had I been astride anything short of the LT class machine. I don't know how long it will take to clear all the insurance stuff up, but when I ride again, I can't see it being on anythin short of an LT.

Lincolnton, NC...March 29 2006
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 BMW1200LT Wreck photos. 011.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	2836   Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 BMW1200LT Wreck photos. 008.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	2837   Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 BMW1200LT Wreck photos. 012.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	2838  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 3:29 pm

you are very lucky. congrats on coming thru unscathed.

did you do a somersault with a half twist while airborne?
post #3 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 3:46 pm
TMH

Been there, done that, but at a lower speed (about 30 mph) and on a much less capable bike (Kawa KZ-650). And I didn't walk away. After hitting all the brakes I had, I ended up launching myself off the bike and over the hood of the car, just in the split second prior to impact. This was in 1995, before the CA helmet laws, but I have always been a believer in helmets and was wearing a full-face. I ended up with cuts on both shins (from the spark plugs?), road rash, broken collarbone and broken wrist.

And it took 10 years before I chose to start riding again.

From the insurance perspective, I was not as lucky as you. The guy who turned in front of me (and then stopped!) was just out of jail for driving with a suspended license. So did he have a license or insurance when he cut me off? Let's just say that I got a ride from the accident scene in an AMR van, and he also got a ride "home" in a vehicle which was black and white in color.

I only had liability insurance on the bike, so it was a write-off (I think that I ended up selling the wreckage for $200), but it wasn't an expensive bike to begin with.

So what do I do when I want to get back into riding? Check out BMW's as my only choice. I'll take any advantage I can get against the cages, and all of my current (and future) bikes will have ABS!

Good luck with your bike replacement, and glad your physical injuries were apparently minimal.
Tom

2009 R1200GS-ADV
2005.5 KTM Adventure 950

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 4:03 pm

You are extremely lucky and the LT is a very tough bike. I am so glad that you are not injured, but get yourself checked out. I had a cracked collar bone and didn't get it checked for a few days when it finally started hurting so bad and everyone was telling me that I was lop-sided.

Good luck on getting a new bike.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #5 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 4:08 pm

You are another in a long line of people who owe at least reduced injuries, and in some cases life saving to the TeleLever front suspension! Good to hear it.

The TeleLever does not allow the front of the bike to dive down when it hits somethin head on. So unlike a standard fork suspension which dives down allowing the rider to continue straight ahead, through the bars and into the car, the Telelever actually will kick the bike UP, and usually throw the rider up and over. People who hit head on with standard front suspensions will likely see far more lower body damage, where most of us who have hit things on the LT have little to no lower body injuries. Been there, done that.

Sounds like you really came out in great shape from what could have been much worse.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 5:45 pm

Glad you're got out of that so well!

Bit concerned that what I see of the damages is all it takes to total an LT though.

Looks to me like some body panels, rim and new fork tubes she'd be ridable again. All a fraction of the resale value of that machine. There looks to be a LOT right with that bike still!

Likely something I don't know about up inside there that ain't healthy, eh?

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #7 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 6:07 pm

Always good to hear a story with a happy ending. I just hope the lady that pulled in front of you does not have Allstate Insurance, but that is another story. Good Luck in finding a replacement bike and hope you can be back riding very soon.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #8 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 7:33 pm

Very glad you're OK. "T" boned a chevy Monte Carlo in '93 on my Venture Royale' at 40mph. Bike didn't make, I did. You might consider buying it back from the insurance co. for salvage price. Take the rest and rebuild the bike (as long as the frame is OK). Let the healing begin...

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #9 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 7:37 pm

Guardian angel strikes again! Have you considered wearing Depends? I know I'd have to clean my pants after walking away from that one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 7:46 pm

Very glad you are ok and you were able to walk away. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Do you think the padded sections in the knee area and the smooth contours of the smooth bodywork in the tank area helped lessen your injuries?

The televeler front suspension is an amazing bit of engineering. It seems to take up alot of impact forces in the suspension and frame transmiting far less of the impact through the handlebars when compared to a conventional motorcycle.

This is the type of impact Honda has designed their airbag system for on the new Wing. Do you or anyone think an airbag would have helped or hindered in this situation?

Hope to see you on the road again soon.

Dave Allen
2005 K 1200 LT, Graphite
post #11 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 8:22 pm

Wow

Glad to hear your in good shape. Can you give any details on how you dismounted and impacted the ground? What type of gear were you wearing?

Again, glad to hear you came out in such good shape.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #12 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

The reaction and comments from those who have posted is to a great degree why I keep coming back. I thank all of you for your concern, and I will consider a check-up in the next day or so.

I included some additional pic's that show the front in a little closer detail for those interested. Until the first mention of the Telelever I hadn't considered it's effect on the wreck, but I feel that it had a HUGE impact (no pun intended).

The car was angling from left to right at a claimed 20mph per the police report when I hit. My impact was dead center of the rear axle. The time I first looked at the lady to check her gaze and intent, she was static, but the next thing I saw was her sprinting across into my lane, at that point I had ~20 feet and still at 45mph.

I don't actually remember the impact, with the car, but I do remember coming to rest on the pavement some how on my back head in the direction of travel, in the other lane.

All I could think was "where is that car that was behind me and in this lane!" It had been able to swerve and stop past the wreck (thank god !)

From what I can tell from a scuff on my Shoi X-11 full face I must have bounced off the top of the wind shield and flipped over the car. My brake shoulder is sore from the grip so I'm guessing it was a flip with a full twist :-)

After that I did a personal systems check ...fingers, toes, knees, arms,...no warm wet feeling and started to move to get out of traffic.

Sorry this got a little long for something that happened in a split second!

As for the rest of the bike..its in GREAT condition, NEW ME880's and 23K miles

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 BMW1200LT Wreck photos. 010-web.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	2839   Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 BMW1200LT Wreck photos. 006-web.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	2840   Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 BMW1200LT Wreck photos. 007-web.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	2841  
post #13 of 14 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:16 pm

Wow again!

Something like this is never too long. You can never have too much detail to learn from. Thanks again for sharing and make sure you get a thorough check up. The bike is much easier replaced than you are.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #14 of 14 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 8:25 pm

Glad you are ok. I was hit at 65mph on Superbowl Sunday and almost walked away (broken ankle & 4 broken ribs). The damage to the front end of your bike looks just like what happened to mine. I think there is alot to be said about the telelever front end and how this bike crumples to protect the occupant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in