Front strut removal? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

Post Front strut removal?

Need instructions for front strut removal and install.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 5:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbasalt
Need instructions for front strut removal and install.

Thanks.
Barron , the removal of the Telelever is alot of work . There are some special tools required. What problem do you suspect?
Try a search ,Mark Neblett posted pictures a while back.Basically after removal of tupperware, fuel tank, air box, Throttle bodies you are about ready.
PeteM aka murray
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:13 pm

Smile

Hey Barron, here goes>remove the following: both side fairing panels, radio stingray, grey plastic upper cover(where your ignition key goes), loosen/remove upper shock bolt and upper rubber shock bushing, black/back portion of the front fender, loosen/remove lower shock bolt. After doing this you should be able to remove the shock by pulling it downward and out. Reassemble in reverse. It is not necessary to loosen/remove the steering dampner in order to remove/replace the front shock. Hope this heps a lettle...

Bruce Harris, Jr.
Burlington, NC USA
1995 Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI Anniversary Edition
2005 Bushtec Turbo +2

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 5:42 pm

Removing front strut

Acutally Bruce is just about right. You don't have to remove any of the telelever front parts to get the strut out. I learned how to do this with Grif over the phone as I was pulling my Ohlins off for a rebuild.

1. Remove the tupperware, radio stingray, the grey shield at the ignition switch.

2. Remove the right rear passenger foot peg plate.

3. Remove the tupperware above the foot peg plate.

4. Remove the rear shock. If you're not replacing the rear shock, remove the top bolt from the rear shock. BECAREFUL not let the black bolt and washer fall down inside the bike. BTDT

5. Remove the upper strut bolt. Nice if you have an air wrench for this.

6. At this point you might want to use a bottle jack and find a point around the front of the motor and start to take some weight off the front wheel.

7. Remove the lower struct bolt.

8. Jack up the bike until you can reach up inside the strut are and remove the bushing on the strut. You may have to move the lower end of the strut toward the rear of the bike and move the top of the strut towards the front of the bike to get it off. At least that's how it worked for me.

9. To reinstall, reverse steps listed above.

Good luck and Thanks Grif!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Apr 3rd, 2006 at 5:56 pm.
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:01 pm

Shock removal

Just installed my front/rear Ohlins this past weekend. Rear was much easier. One thing to remember for the front; when you remove the nut on top of the shock, take an allen wrench and hold the stem from turning as you remove the nut. Also, when you remove the shock you will need to push down on the forks; then when replacing the shock I had to take a 2x4 and hit the bottom of the shock as you are again pushing down on the forks. Had a buddy help me out.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in