Be Careful out there! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 1:30 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Be Careful out there!

Well I just took the LT in for it's 600 mile service this morning and got a little scare on the way. I exited the four lane leading to the shop and hit the off ramp sweeper marked at 25mph at about 45. As I'm leaning into the nice sweeper I notice what looks like water on the road, just as I think that thought, the big beast begins to slip and slide! I gently roll of the throttle and try to ever so gently ease towards the edge of the off ramp with success. As I continue around the coner on the outter most edge I notice oil throughout the entire turn. When I come out of the corner I see a UPS truck pulled over on the shoulder with smoke billowing out...must have blown the engine or tranny. Needless to say as I pulled into the shop I had to groom the pucker marks out of my seat. Just wanted to put out a reminder to everyone to be careful out there and expect the unexpected!

Ride Safe,

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 1:34 pm

Well done. Handling unexpected cornering issues is truly an art. Question: Was the billowing smoke visible from the freeway?

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Well done. Handling unexpected cornering issues is truly an art. Question: Was the billowing smoke visible from the freeway?
Thank you. Unfortunatly I did not notice the smoke from the freeway. Luckily a cager was in front of me which caused me to take the turn slower than I normally do. I think if I would have been going a few MPH faster I would have been reporting a low side to you guys!

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:12 pm

I just saw a video clip of a guy on a sportbike getting on the freeway. He is flying through the on ramp then looses it and slides out on the freeway and then gets run over by a car, not a pretty site. Glad your ok.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 8:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim
I gently roll off the throttle and try to ever so gently ease towards the edge of the off ramp with success.

I think if I would have been going a few MPH faster I would have been reporting a low side to you guys!
Ride Safe,
Rolling off the throttle in a slide will usually, not always, usually, cause a high side. I'd take a low side to a high side any day

Aw hell, I don't want either.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in