Fuel Quick Disconnects - Were BMW Parts Redesigned? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 1:26 pm Thread Starter

Question Fuel Quick Disconnects - Were BMW Parts Redesigned?

I hear there was a recall on the quick disconnects for my bike (an '02), so I wanted to take a pre-emptive strike and replace mine before they fail.

Since aftermarket ones are fairly pricey, I thought I'd look at OEM.

My question is; since the part was recalled, can I safely assume that these OEM parts have been re-designed or upgaded?...and are no longer at risk of cracking, etc. I know about replacing o-rings from time to time...just windering if the currently listed part numbers have been re-designed/upgraded?

Here's the part number I found. Price are from Chicago BMW in case you're windering.
133 176 591 20 Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Female $12.80
133 176 591 19 Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Male $10.40
133 176 591 10 Fuel Line Quick Disconnect O-Ring $1.60 (Note can substitute for Buna-N o-ring size 011, available through McMaster-Carr)

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 4:30 pm

Here is a link to the recall notice. This is actually in the Recall area on our home page.

It states pretty clearly that the issue was an o-ring problem and possibly a clamp issue.

It doesn't sound like they reengineered the QTs. When I change mine, I'm going to go with metal replacement QTs.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 7:42 pm

The problem is the plastic gets old, brittle and cracks. Or, it stresses and cracks. Mayhaps the gas degrades it?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok

post #4 of 28 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 9:02 pm

Those quick release parts have not been redesigned. I don't trust them. I removed them from my bikes.

Paul Ford
01 R1150GS
90 K1200
73 R75/2
post #5 of 28 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 9:31 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

I just pulled the tank on my '02 GS. I would imagine they are the same quick disconnects. One of them broke, so I took it into the local dealer to get a couple of new sets. The old ones were white, the new ones black. I asked the guy at the counter what the difference was and he said the old white ones tended to get brittle and break. The black ones were the "new and improved model". So, looks like there has been a change.

The part numbers you posted are the same as the ones on my receipt. Better price though. I paid $13 and $16. And two bucks for the O rings.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #6 of 28 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 9:40 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

I broke a black one last week when taking the 2001 GS tank off. They were black. Got new ones from the dealer. I have ordered metal ones to replace the ones on the bike.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #7 of 28 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:08 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
I broke a black one last week when taking the 2001 GS tank off.
Well, so much for new and improved.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #8 of 28 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 5:16 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I've been using the metal ones (chrome-plated brass) for >10 years on some machine tools. Never had a problem unless you nick an o-ring.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 28 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 8:12 am

The chrome makes the machine tool go faster.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 28 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 2:49 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The chrome makes the machine tool go faster.
Aren't the chrome ones designed for Harleys???

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #11 of 28 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 6:19 pm

Only if chromed and flamed.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 28 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 6:45 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Only if chromed and flamed.
Or fringed.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 28 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 6:18 pm

Can you share your source for the metal quick disconnects?

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #14 of 28 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 8:45 am

Fuel Quick Disconnects

From www.mscdirect.com . Item #8808445 (2 each) and #88080486 (2 each). Be warned, they aren't cheap.

While you're at it, go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and get you #9452K19. Industry standare -011 Size Bun-N. They are the o-rings that go on the quick disconnects. Package of 100 for $2.47.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #15 of 28 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:29 am Thread Starter

Correction

That first part number should be 88080445

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMAKA=88080445

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMAKA=88080486

Wow....$80 ($25 x 2, and $15 x 2 ) seems like an awful lot of money for these fittings.

post #16 of 28 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 1:59 pm

Peace of mind whilst traversing BFE

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 28 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 2:38 pm Thread Starter

Question

Yeah sure, 80 bucks is better than getting stranded...or worse, having your bike go up in flames.

I'm just wondering if we might get off cheaper by just installing an in-line valve with standard hose clamps (the non-worm gear type so the hose doesn't get damaged). Then, just loosen the downstream side of the hose clamp, and pull the tank.

I suppose if you're pulling your tank with some regularity, perhaps $80 in Quick Disconects are worth it. But if you only pull the tank once in a while, wouldn't an inline valve suffice? Maybe I'm missing something....which is very likely since I'm still a young grasshopper in the LT world. Do both sides remain pressurized or something?...is that why we need these QD's?

post #18 of 28 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 4:24 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

I got 6 complete sets (2 pieces each set) in today. Bought them from MSC. Will retrofit both of my BMWs and have a spare set for the local riders in case of emergency. Also have an OEM set (one fuel line only) available.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #19 of 28 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 2:50 am

Clarification on "O" Ring Material

I'm about to order the two way shutoff metal Quick Disconnects and saw your post.
Are you saying that the BMW factory replacement O-Ring can be substituted for the buna-N O-rings (that are not recommended for fuel) that come on the Aftermarket Quick Disconnects? If so thats great! I was just about to do the fuel filter and the dealer said they change the O-Rings every time; so I bought two. I just want to verify everything before I do this especially since I have not had A fuel leak so far with 35k mi. on my 2001.

Richard Consolazio
01-BMW K1200 LTC
(Champagne)
"My Big Beige Broad"

Last edited by RickyK12; Jul 17th, 2007 at 3:04 am.
post #20 of 28 Old Jul 17th, 2007, 7:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyK12
I'm about to order the two way shutoff metal Quick Disconnects and saw your post.
Are you saying that the BMW factory replacement O-Ring can be substituted for the buna-N O-rings (that are not recommended for fuel) that come on the Aftermarket Quick Disconnects? If so thats great! I was just about to do the fuel filter and the dealer said they change the O-Rings every time; so I bought two. I just want to verify everything before I do this especially since I have not had A fuel leak so far with 35k mi. on my 2001.
Buna N is perfectly acceptable for gasoline - in fact it is the industry standard. You can upgrade to Viton, but there is no advantage unless you are connecting/disconnecting every day or exposing them to extreme heat.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #21 of 28 Old Jun 15th, 2010, 2:25 pm

Re: Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman

Wow....$80 ($25 x 2, and $15 x 2 ) seems like an awful lot of money for these fittings.
It's NOW $95 for these parts, and that's without the O-rings!
post #22 of 28 Old Jun 16th, 2010, 12:34 pm

Re: Fuel Quick Disconnects - Were BMW Parts Redesigned?

And they always break when you are with your Harley friends. Never fails.

Ultra LT
post #23 of 28 Old Jun 16th, 2010, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by olearyg
It's NOW $95 for these parts, and that's without the O-rings!
Racer Parts Wholesale has fuel quick disconnects for the BMW scoots. Not sure how their pricing compares to others, tho. Some folks have ordered those and seemed satisfied with the customer service when chatting with the sales department.

No affiliation - just remembered they vended QDs.
post #24 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:07 pm

I just put one of the Quick Disconnects on from Jiffy-tite Motorsports. They came within two days of my order and were very easy to connect. I purchased the 90 degree angle disconnects. Only one of my BMW quick disconnects were broken, but after seeing the comment about it always breaking when you are with your Harley friends, I decided that before I put the Tupperware back on, I'm going to go ahead and connect the second one I bought. I figure that these quick disconnects will last longer than my bike lasts, as they are made of aircraft aluminum and don't require O-rings.
post #25 of 28 Old Jun 24th, 2010, 12:38 am

I've washed my shoes 3 times and can't get the gas smell out of them from the quick disconnect leak. (Had it not been raining so hard, I may have lit up like a torch!)
post #26 of 28 Old Jul 4th, 2010, 10:22 pm

My 05 LT came with one part of the quick disconnect unit as plastic.Didn't realize i had a problem untill i started to smell gas while riding.Took right cover off and found the problem.
Went to dealer and purchased the part to replace the plastic piece.It was metal.The dealer
had a box full of both parts on the counter.Now i'm finding out that Yahama with carbs and
plastic parts inside are having night mares.People leaving their bikes in garages over winter
can not start their machines,and the gas is pouring out of the engines.Boats with plastic
gas tanks,plastic is being desolved.Problem is found to be the Ethonal added to gas formular,is disolving anything made with plastic.nice recall,it must have been a quiet one,
bring your bike in for service,get one or two for no charge,Don't bring your bike in for service
but find the problem $18.00 each please .
post #27 of 28 Old Feb 25th, 2011, 9:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman

These are listed as 1/4" fittings....

the LT hoses are 5/16"

beemer boneyard sells the CORRECT 5/16" cpc quick disconnects.... and cheaper to boot.

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

Last edited by johnT; Feb 25th, 2011 at 10:04 pm.
post #28 of 28 Old Feb 25th, 2011, 10:55 pm

I installed the RPW quick disconnects on my '05 LT. Great customer service experience. Here is the link to the BMW specific quick disconnects.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...rcycleFittings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in