It finally hapened....... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

It finally hapened.......

OK, I bought my 99 LT about a month ago. Everything's going great, love the bike. Parked it last night at the top of my driveway (flat at top then it slopes down) on the side stand. Came out this morning and uncovered it, started it and ran back into the house for something. Heard the sickening crash , came out and found it on it's right side. The vibration of idling just have caused it to move and then tip over when it hit the slope. Anyway....scrapes on the bottom of the rear bag and molding, under the right peg and the right mirror had come off. Does any one know of any good sites for discount BMW parts (aside from going to my local dealer)? Also, how does the mirror go on (or come off, couldn't find it in the rider's manual). Feeling really dumb right about now and can use any advise.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 1:20 pm

The mirror has snap on mounts in a triangular formation. Line them up properly then pop the pair towards the back of the bike with a good thump using the heal of your hand, then do the same with the remaining front anchor.

I presume you left the bike on the side stand. The side stand has proven unreliable in a number of cases especially if it has not been lubricated with any regularity. Often it's not fully extended when you put it down. I only use the side stand in two instances. Unattended with the bike turned off and the transmission in gear and also for filling the fuel tank. However, I usually stay in the saddle for the fuel fill. In case you have not read it yet, you can get an extra gallon or so of fuel by filling on the side stand. But just the same, when fueling, I have the engine off and the transmission engaged. The LT seems to get a mind of its own when on the side stand. So, use the centerstand when you need to walk away and warm up the engine. Once you get the hang of using the centerstand, you can have your bike up and your duds off faster than the new electric ones can deploy!

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 5:43 am

How freaky is this. I have also just picked up the most beautiful Champagne coloured LT here in Australia. She has only 36,000km on the clock and I got her for $AU16,000. She is optioned to the hilt.

I too have a driveway with a high point in it and I often start her up and duck back into the garage to put on the helmet and gloves before I saddle up and take off. I might re-think my procedures from now on. I couldn't imagine a more ghaslty sight than an LT on her side. Ewwwwww.

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 5:55 am

If you are going to let it run, the side stand is a recipe for disaster when in neutral. It works best when the bike is in gear. Obviously, you can't let it run in gear.

Based on my experience and those of others, leaving it running to warm it up is not necessary and not recommended . I simply start it up, no matter how cold it is, and just ride off.

I know old habits just die hard.

I have experienced the same disheartening crash from the side stand. Arrrggghhh..... These things you will just learn to live with over time.

We morn your scars :{
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 6:51 am

"What he said"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
If you are going to let it run, the side stand is a recipe for disaster when in neutral. It works best when the bike is in gear. Obviously, you can't let it run in gear.

Based on my experience and those of others, leaving it running to warm it up is not necessary and not recommended . I simply start it up, no matter how cold it is, and just ride off.

I know old habits just die hard.

I have experienced the same disheartening crash from the side stand. Arrrggghhh..... These things you will just learn to live with over time.

We morn your scars :{
I can't think of a reason to warm up the K1200 before riding. Never leave it in neutral on the side stand. Just get on, turn it on and ride. No need to let it idle before a ride.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 9:53 am

Yup. The mirrors are designed to pop off.

You can add washers behind the bolts to even the mirror with the bike, or remove them to get it closer to the bike.

Many people tether the mirror to the bike so that if the mirror pops off while you are riding, it does not crash into the ground.

Bob
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:28 am

Cool

I've had the same experience with the side stand, but caught it in time before it laid over in the driveway. The advice I've received from techies is to start the bike, allow just enough time for oil to circulate well, get on and ride. Just don't "crank" it until it's had a bit of time to warm up.
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:42 am

My LT lives in the garage. Start out involves opening the main door (thanks Hal), suiting up, mounting the gal, starting the engine and while in 1st and clutch held in, rolling out backwards about halfway down the drive, doing a '3 point' turn'.

Gives me about 15 to 30 seconds of idle while she's rolling back. More than enough time to bring oil pressure up.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by avonfloater
I've had the same experience with the side stand, but caught it in time before it laid over in the driveway. The advice I've received from techies is to start the bike, allow just enough time for oil to circulate well, get on and ride. Just don't "crank" it until it's had a bit of time to warm up.
That is a little out of sequence. Get on, THEN start it. Sit there a few seconds, and go. Never let the bike run on the side stand, period. If you are sitting on it, no problem.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Well, got the new mirror and side molding for the bag and everything looks good again. Learned a valuable lesson and it could have been worse. I rarely use the side stand now.

Thanks for all the comments! Keep the rubber side down and happy riding. Hope to seem some of you out there.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in