Clutch teardown..twice in one week. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

Clutch teardown..twice in one week.

Hooray me..

Working on TexasRider's bike. I finished putting everything back together after replacing the clutch, clutch slave cylinder, and rear main seal. The rear main seal had originally let go and caused the clutch to slip. It wasn't pretty. The clutch slave cylinder was showing signs of beginning to go as well, so I replaced it too.

Got everything put back together, put 50 miles on it trouble free. Started to make the 400 mile trek south to return the LT and pickup my RT, and the clutch started slipping worse than it was before 50 miles in. So, something went awry at less than 100 miles of use.

I took everything back apart *again*. Only took me 5 hours this time. I could beat book time at this rate! haha!

The brand new clutch slave cylinder failed! ARGH! Hydraulic fluid *everywhere*. I purchased the clutch slave from an online supplier well known to all of us in the BMW community. I'm going to give them a call on Monday and have them send me a new clutch slave. I'm going to also see if I can get them to send me a new clutch plate also, since I just ruined a brand new one thanks to their clutch slave that failed

Hopefully they will take care of this. From things I've read and heard in the past, I think they will, so I will give them the chance to make things right.

*Keeping fingers crossed tomorrow doesn't turn into a drama filled nightmare*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 1:23 pm

Re: Clutch teardown..twice in one week.

Good luck with that. Sucks a lot to do it once, never mind about twice.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Any thoughts or ideas as to why the new on failed?

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 1:54 pm Thread Starter

No clue. I wish I knew. Only thing I can chalk it up to is a bad new unit. Rare I'm sure, but unfortunately I got it.

I bolted it and bled it per the manual before I put anything else on the bike. After I got everything together *just* enough to ride it, I zip-tied the license place to the subframe and took it around the block for a mile to make sure nothing was slipping and all was well. That test ride checked out perfect, as did the next ride of 50 miles or so. One day after that 50 mile ride is when I left to return the bike. 50 miles into THAT ride is when all hell broke loose.
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 3:06 pm

What popped in my mind was a problem with the rod (not sure of the tech name) that the slave pushes. Could that be installed wrong, or worn in a manner that would make it too short, allowing the slave valve to over extend and "pop" or bleed past it's normal extended position?
I've had mine out, but don't recall enough to know if that makes any sense at all.
post #6 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
What popped in my mind was a problem with the rod (not sure of the tech name) that the slave pushes. Could that be installed wrong, or worn in a manner that would make it too short, allowing the slave valve to over extend and "pop" or bleed past it's normal extended position?
I've had mine out, but don't recall enough to know if that makes any sense at all.
The push rod pretty much goes in only "one way". Notch (shoulder) on the rearward side is much smaller, so if you put it in backwards, you wouldn't be able top get the slave back on at all. If in backwards, the rod protrudes too much.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 3:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Having done a clutch this summer, I feel your pain. My slave came from the same preferred provider as I believe yours did. I have little doubt they will make the slave right, and am optimistic they will make the clutch plate right as well and then seek to recover from their supplier.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 4:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Having done a clutch this summer, I feel your pain. My slave came from the same preferred provider as I believe yours did. I have little doubt they will make the slave right, and am optimistic they will make the clutch plate right as well and then seek to recover from their supplier.
I am curious; are these non-BMW supplied parts? I am fortunate to still be on my original clutch and slave cylinder at 33,000, but one never knows when the grim LT-reaper will visit so I am always on the look-out for parts sources, particularly those that might be better than the OEM parts.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Might have been worth the effort to drill the weep hole, at least it might have saved the clutch plate.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 5:38 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Might have been worth the effort to drill the weep hole, at least it might have saved the clutch plate.
+ 1 John, Just might have been the first time to verify if the drilling the hole works.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #11 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 6:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If the supplier is the same one frequently used/promoted by this forum I believe they will take good care of you. The last two slave cylinders I've bought from them are exactly the same as the ones I've bought from a dealer which were the Magura brand. I've only seen one bad cylinder out of more then a dozen. That particular unit had a frozen bearing and the rod was burnt too. Good luck!

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #12 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-rex
Hooray me..

Working on TexasRider's bike. I finished putting everything back together after replacing the clutch, clutch slave cylinder, and rear main seal. The rear main seal had originally let go and caused the clutch to slip. It wasn't pretty. The clutch slave cylinder was showing signs of beginning to go as well, so I replaced it too.

Got everything put back together, put 50 miles on it trouble free. Started to make the 400 mile trek south to return the LT and pickup my RT, and the clutch started slipping worse than it was before 50 miles in. So, something went awry at less than 100 miles of use.

I took everything back apart *again*. Only took me 5 hours this time. I could beat book time at this rate! haha!

The brand new clutch slave cylinder failed! ARGH! Hydraulic fluid *everywhere*. I purchased the clutch slave from an online supplier well known to all of us in the BMW community. I'm going to give them a call on Monday and have them send me a new clutch slave. I'm going to also see if I can get them to send me a new clutch plate also, since I just ruined a brand new one thanks to their clutch slave that failed

Hopefully they will take care of this. From things I've read and heard in the past, I think they will, so I will give them the chance to make things right.

*Keeping fingers crossed tomorrow doesn't turn into a drama filled nightmare*
For those of us that are unable to "read between the lines" Who is the "preferred supplier"?

Thanks, Robert.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #13 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 10:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

They also sell used parts.

But I support witholding a badmouthing before they have a chance to step in it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #14 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 10:24 pm

I've been itching to get my hands on one of these failed slave cylinders (posted in the past). From advice from John Z and others, it appears that the failure mode is a failed thrust bearing in the slave assembly, possibly due to running dry after some period. The slaves are said to not be rebuildable, but I'd like to do a post mortem on one as it may be that we can improve the life and reliability of that part. Please someone, open up a failed slave and give a detailed account of what is found. I intend to sacrafice some service life as my maintenance strategy, possibly around the 60,000 Km mark, replace with a brand new unit from BBY. Till then I'll continue to frequently check the weep hole.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #15 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2012, 11:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
For those of us that are unable to "read between the lines" Who is the "preferred supplier"?

Thanks, Robert.
I'm pretty sure I know, but I agree 100% with not naming names until they have a chance to address the problem. Too easy for someone to do a future search and find the problem and never see the solution. I am all for calling out a lousy vendor, but there is a time and place for that and this is not yet that time.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in