2000 LT, U-Joint play? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 30th, 2006, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Smile 2000 LT, U-Joint play?

Can anyone tell me what is the allowable play in the U-joint?
I've noticed some clunking sounds at times when letting off the throttle and powering back up.

I set the bike on it's center stand and placed it in 1st gear. With the engine off I rolled the rear tire forward and backward to get an idea of the amount of wheel travel.

Just wondering what it should be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 6:47 am

U-joint Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Gentry
I've noticed some clunking sounds at times when letting off the throttle and powering back up.

I set the bike on it's center stand and placed it in 1st gear. With the engine off I rolled the rear tire forward and backward to get an idea of the amount of wheel travel.

Doug, if you rock the rear wheel you checking the play in the final drive gear, the drive shaft - u-joint assembly and the transmission gear play. I doubt their is a good way of seperating or identifying u-joint play without pulling the drive shaft out.

Don't know if this helps but hopefully more seasoned and knowledgeable members will chime in.

FYI On my 85 K100 I replaced the drive shaft due to a loose U-joint at 55 K.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 9:02 am

Quote:

Don't think there is a "standard" for this, but on mine there was approx. 2-3" of back/forth movement at the tread of the tire, from memory. I know this from checking valves, used the wheel to "bump" the engine around.

Someone with another LT can check this pretty quickly. Unfortunately, my garage is empty of bikes.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:25 am

As David said, I get about 2-3 inches of movement when in gear on center stand and move the wheel back and forth. I also get the clunk sound when I let off the throttle to decelerate then give it throttle there is like a clunk or as I like to think an "engage" sound. I think it is pretty normal. If our bikes are the only 2 that do it and shouldn't please let us know.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:24 am

They all klunk a little

Especially when pulling the clutch in/out at parking lot speeds. I've noticed that a lot on mine. I'm fairly sure it's normal. I wouldn't worry about.

U-joint problems mostly manifest themselves as vibrations..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 8 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 1:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
My rear tire also has a couple of inches of play. I don't know about the "clunk", as I wouldn't be abel to hear it over the clanging rear brake disk.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 1:43 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:

The only wat to check the rear U joint is to pull the rubber boot back. There should be ZERO play. I say this because I swapped FD'S and the new replacement U joint had ZERO play. The FD I Removed had about 1-2 mm rotational play. I feel the old FD would have held up, It had 72K 0n it. Also the 02 FD had the 19 roller ball bearing. The front U joint from the trans output shaft have been known to be problem free, so I'm told.

Petem aka murray
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 31st, 2006, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Smile Free play

I know I get a lot more than 2 or 3 inches I was rather surprised to see just how much play it had. I think it has like maybe 8 inches or so.

I think I'll go to the dealer this weekend and see what their bike has sitting on the show room floor.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to measure this so it's accurate.

maybe just sit on it while in gear and turned off, roll forward and backward. Maybe have my hunny use a yard stick to mark the cement from under the forks, move forward and remark and measure???

The bike feels good, It has no vibrations, no looseness to it. It only has 33K on it.

The only time I even hear a clunk is like you guys say, low speed parking lot or deceleration with a quick move forward, I can hear that "Engaging" sound.

I think I'm fine, I was just curious.

Also, I just love that little signature "If it has tit's or an Engine, you're gonna have trouble."

Snicker... and just think, you can have both re-built!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in