BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

BMW Navigator

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jwimberley 
#1 ·
OK, I have searched and looked around here and google but still not sure.

Is this a Streetpilot III and if so can I just use maps and software from Garmins site or is it different because its branded BMW.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Suggest you go to the Garmin website, register & log in, then register the GPS and you can then verify the maps that are loaded and update software and maps.

#4 ·
I had an older GPS IV and a Zumo 550, and now have an older Nuvi 255 and an older BMW Navigator II. I have updated the software on all four of them via the Garmin site with no problems. Unfortunately Garmin no longer support the Navigator II but even so I've recently logged on to the site and had the GPS communicate with the Garmin updater without problems.

#5 ·
andres said:
I had an older GPS IV and a Zumo 550, and now have an older Nuvi 255 and an older BMW Navigator II. I have updated the software on all four of them via the Garmin site with no problems. Unfortunately Garmin no longer support the Navigator II but even so I've recently logged on to the site and had the GPS communicate with the Garmin updater without problems.
Yes, Garmin will gladly continue to take your money and give you a new map. I was also able to download a map update for a 2730, which seemed to have went well, at least the download part. But I'm having other issues now which if determined needs to be fixed by the factory, then I'm out of luck because they've told me it's no longer supported.

So, unless I can transfer the same download onto another (working/supported) product, I might have bought the map update prematurely. Story of my life. :rolleyes:

Moral of the story: it's too easy to go to Garmin's website first and find out which models are still supported. ;)

#6 ·
The BMW Navigator pictured appears to be identical to the Street Pilot III which Garmin will verify when you give them the serial number. I updated the BMW Navigator GPS which came with my 02 LTE this summer. I used Windows XP and an adapter for the serial port which made it a USB port. I loaded my Mapsource CDs into the computer. Garmin tech support gave me a link which will update your maps using the data card adapter or directly into the GPS. They wrote out instructions to follow which helped.

#8 ·
I have a Nav II that's no longer supported by Garmin but was able to use this site to get mine updated to 2009. I was also able to max out the SD card to 2GB so it would hold all US City data.

Greg

#10 ·
IIRC the current maps are more than can be stored in the SP III, so I had to pick those maps I needed ONLY when planning a trip. If more would be needed as the trip evolved (as in a 4-corners run), I had to bring laptop along to load them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.