Did I Make A Mistake? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 6:02 am Thread Starter

Did I Make A Mistake?

Hi, First post here I have buyers remorse and I don't have the bike yet. I just bought a 2003 LT that I thought I wanted but now I feel I made a mistake because of the FD failures and fuel line ruptures.....etc I was told the bike had the 24000 mile service and the bikes is ok. When does these bike experience problems or do they hit anytime? Any other problem areas on the bike I should look at and keep an eye on? I looked up recalls on the bike and some FD failures that have been reported have the same vin number as the bike I just bought. I bought the bike yesterday and will pick it up tuesday. I usually do my home work before I buy something and I read great reviews about the bike but now I'm concerned.

Last edited by bmwjay; Nov 18th, 2012 at 7:51 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 6:32 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Did I Make A Mistake?

As Bobby McFerrin would say "Don't Worry, Be Happy" FD failures happen to a VERY small percentage of all the bikes out there. I had a 2000 K1200LT that I sold last year with 72K on it. I NEVER had any trouble with it & would not hesitate getting on it to ride across the USA. I only sold it as i was ready for a different bike but truth be told I can see a LT in my future again.
As for the fuel leak goes the bike come with plastic Quick Disconnects that most of us have replaces with metal ones. You can buy them HERE for $76.00 plus shipping. They take about an hour to install. There are many more LT out there that have over 100,000 miles on them without any major repairs. There are 5 or 6 members here that have rebuilt lots of FD,s for other members for less then $300.00.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 6:47 am Thread Starter

Thanks....!!! That puts my mind at ease....I understand that I'm worring about something that hasn't happened yet. Is the 2003 model a good year for the LT. I believe it was manufactured in july 03. Thanks.

post #4 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 6:57 am

I've heard they all fail at 25,000 miles. I'll be a pal and come over with my trailer and take that mistake of yours off your hands because I'm a great guy.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #5 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 6:57 am

I have an '03.

Got way over 24k on it and no issues with the FD.

The fuel line quick disconnects started leaking a couple of years ago, plastic cracked. Replaced them with metal. Problem solved for about $35.00 and in less than 20 minutes.

Enjoy it, you got a good one.

B D R
post #6 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 7:00 am

the OP said it had the 24K service done, not that it had 24K miles on it

How many miles does she have on her by the way?

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 7:12 am

I have a 03 with 48,000 miles on it no trouble with the FD;just change it every 6,000 miles you will be fine.
And yes change the quick disconnects; mine also sprung a leak.
GO OUT RIDE;GREAT BIKE

Gary
post #8 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 7:49 am

[QUOTE=pauleknight]the OP said it had the 24K service done, not that it had 24K miles on it

I can read, thank you.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #9 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 7:50 am

Welcome to the forum.

My prior bike was a BMW R1200CL, same motronics, abs, brakes, and final drive.
Lived in fear for 2 years, when the bike was up for sale in cycletrader it developed a fd leak. Thuth of the matter is that it took me one hour and $36 to fix the leak and prevent a FD failure. Like others say better than me, stay vigilant and change your fd oil every time you change your engine oil.

This LT is a dream. Live yours.

2009 R1200RT
Past Rides: 2003 K1200LT "Gertrude" (sold) / 2004 R1200CLC "Petunia" (sold) 2005 Kawi Concours (gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 7:50 am Thread Starter

The bike has 25,500 miles on it and I was told they did the 24000 mile service to the bike and put it on the floor. The bike is really clean, they don't offer a warranty on the bike and I can't really check the bike out because of the fairings. I will go over everything when I get it home and report back. I hope I have a good one. George S If your serious PM me. Thanks again!!!!
post #11 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 8:39 am

Just jump on your new LT and ride the darn thing. You are going to love it.

This forum might mess you up, might even make you a little paranoid if you are prone to worrying and expect the worst. It is frequented by a bunch of LT fanatics, some of whom can fix anything. I don't count myself among those who can fix anything, but with the wisdom available on this site, I have been able to take care of all mechanical needs.

So like katnappin advised, "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #12 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 8:41 am

Jay, I'm sure you got a fine example. I'm funnin with ya 'cause I'm envious! Many times they don't offer a warranty regardless of mileage because of the years.
(But if you really don't like it I will come and pick it up and won't even charge you anythin!)

Congratulations, lots of luck, enjoy it and ride safe.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

post #13 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwjay
Hi, First post here I have buyers remorse and I don't have the bike yet. I just bought a 2003 LT that I thought I wanted but now I feel I made a mistake because of the FD failures and fuel line ruptures.....etc I was told the bike had the 24000 mile service and the bikes is ok. When does these bike experience problems or do they hit anytime? Any other problem areas on the bike I should look at and keep an eye on? I looked up recalls on the bike and some FD failures that have been reported have the same vin number as the bike I just bought. I bought the bike yesterday and will pick it up tuesday. I usually do my home work before I buy something and I read great reviews about the bike but now I'm concerned.
Like many bikes the LT has certain reliability weaknesses but the internet magnifies the issues. Sounds like yours has already had the FD replaced. Just ride it, you'll be fine.

Last edited by eyesurgeon; Nov 18th, 2012 at 9:47 am.
post #14 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 11:12 am

03 LT with over 80K no FD problem. I did have to get the clutch changed out at 60K. By the time the late 02s and 03s came out there was a sharp reduction in failures. That was also the time the changed the bearing supplier. I'm told this made no difference however as there was an apparent change in the assembly process too. In any event the 03 is a great year. Now go put some real miles on that thing.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #15 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 1:54 pm

[QUOTE=George_S]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
the OP said it had the 24K service done, not that it had 24K miles on it

I can read, thank you.

Darn, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this am :P

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #16 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 2:14 pm

And I toned it down from what I really wanted to say....So don't push it.

Oh, forgot the smiley face-

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

post #17 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 2:18 pm

I found my Old '99 just a little over 2 years ago now. She had 18,324 miles on her with a one owner. Had not had the 24k service either but a good BMW mechanic had checker her over and other than a really old and yellowed OEM windshield that I got them to replace before I purchased it... she was in exceptional shape for a '99. Out the door for $4200. Now just a couple of weeks after her 2nd birthday with me, she is well and has a little over 55k miles on her. No Final Drive Failure. No Fuel Line Leaks and had been a very reliable ride.

Problems have come up but were fairly easily taken care of. I've had 2 separate brake line leaks with the old OEM lines. But there is a HEL Brake Line dealer about 15 miles south in Pinetta, FL. He does most of the lines for the GP racers at the Jennings GP track and lots of online business. Mine were about 1/3 of what new BMW lines would have been. On the first leak the new line was made on the spot and the second line some 12 months later was made overnight and left out in their mailbox and I picked it up at about 11 pm. Great service and great steel lines made to BMW specs and to order.

I had a brake relay fail and that made the brake lights stay on all the time until I turned off the key. That necessitated a tank removal to get to the relay but with a club members help that wasn't that bad a job. I have made numerous improvements to the bike and additions and have had the Tupperware off enough times that I know where the short and long bolts go now and how to put it back in short order. So taking it apart is no big deal anymore. I think it's always good to know something about the innards of any bike we are riding just to be on the safe side if you have a problem out on the road. I also think it's a good practice to mostly use the tools that you can take with you to do the repairs in your shop. If you use a 12" extension to tighten up a nut in the shop and have a 5" out on the road. You are probably out of luck.

I also believe in the Clymers manual. It's cheap on Amazon, I think less than $25, and contains all the years updates and most importantly all the electrical's are color coded and that can be a lifesaver if you get into wiring in additional things like GPS, Radio or other things.

Don't look ahead at the things that others have talked about on here that Might happen to your LT. Ride it now and you will fall in love with it more each day. It's a wonderful riding and handling bike and since getting it, my 2002 GL1800 sits in her stall and whimpers from mostly being passed over.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #18 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Dude!! The forums are full of problem questions! Do you have any idea how many thousands of LT's are out there with NO problems and the owners are NOT on the internet discussing every little glitch the bike may have?

Forums like this are for getting answers to problems, so yes, that will be all you see on here...the rest of us are out there riding the wheels off of our bikes!

Ride it, enjoy it, and stay off the internet!!
post #19 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information and putting my mind at ease I bought the bike on impulse and planned to buy it when I had my finances in better order but this was a deal I could not pass up. Everyone that owns the LT loves it so I bought one, then I read the problems and I thought OHHHH NOOO!! I will get the bike and update when my arm gets better after surgery. I can't even ride it home. My friend will bring it home and it will be able to ride in a few months. George S you can fun with me, My feeling won't get hurt and I can take it.... and thanks for your posts.
post #20 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 3:29 pm

I think the '02 I bought had 52K on it. Fuel disconnects broke on the way home. Fixed 'em easily. Learned a lot doing it. Rear main seal started to leak, so I tore the transmission out and replaced it. Learned a lot, and enjoyed the work. Also replaced the clutch and everything else I could while I was in there. Tore the the FD out just to look, and found it was probably one long ride away from failing, so I fixed it. Enjoyed that, and learned a lot.
None of this has lessened the enjoyment I get from the bike, and has only made me more confident in riding it, and the knowlege that I made the right decision to buy. No remorse at all.
The LT is not my favorite bike of all I've owned, but it is, I believe, the best money I've ever spent on a bike.
post #21 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 3:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I think the '02 I bought had 52K on it. Fuel disconnects broke on the way home. Fixed 'em easily. Learned a lot doing it. Rear main seal started to leak, so I tore the transmission out and replaced it. Learned a lot, and enjoyed the work. Also replaced the clutch and everything else I could while I was in there. Tore the the FD out just to look, and found it was probably one long ride away from failing, so I fixed it. Enjoyed that, and learned a lot.
None of this has lessened the enjoyment I get from the bike, and has only made me more confident in riding it, and the knowlege that I made the right decision to buy. No remorse at all.
The LT is not my favorite bike of all I've owned, but it is, I believe, the best money I've ever spent on a bike.
Maybe a new thread ..., but I am curious which bike was your favorite. I think the LT is my favorite to date, but it is only my 4th bike in 35 years (I tend to keep my bikes for some time) so I don't have a lot to compare against. My prior bike was a 1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII ... and it had two FD related failures before I sold it with 46,000 on it. Who'd of guessed I go from the frying pan into the fire with respect to FD issues! My 07 LT has 33,000 miles and no FD failure yet, but it has been leaking from the boot for nearly a year now, so I will have to at least replace either an FD or tranny seal in the future sometime. The leak is minor now so I just keep cleaning up the mess, checking the oil levels and riding.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #22 of 30 Old Nov 18th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Matt, since you're already hijacked this thread, why stop now? My '07 Harley Softtail Deuce is my favorite bike of all times. Can't tell you why, just love everything about it. Hate the Harley mentality, and hate having folks think I'm a "biker" type. But I just love riding the damned thing. Have over 30,000 on it now.
My other bike, a '12 Yamaha WR250R dual sport is knocking on the door to being right up there as a favorite. I can ride that little sucker hard across desert and mountain terrain and just laugh out loud in the helmet. A real kick in the pants.
Love the way the LT handles, and its power is adequate, but I'm always wanting more in both departments. Throttle is pegged too often, and I'm tired of wearing holes in the lower fairings. I know the GTL is the next bike for me. BUT, having said that, the miles I've put on the LT, solo and with the wife, have all been absolutlely great. Like I said, probably the best money ever spent on a bike for all around use.
post #23 of 30 Old Nov 19th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Give the lady a chance! As noted earlier, mosts posts here are from people who have problems. There are thousands of LT's out there with perfectly satisfied owners.

We bought ours (a '99 with 19K miles on it) fourteen months ago because the wife wanted to ride and my other bike ('07 Yamaha FZ6) simply will not carry two 18-190 people in anything resembling comfort. Did NOT have a good experience at first- dropped it twice on day one (right in front of everybody the first time, in our garage the second). Split the rear brake line the week after while trying to adjust the rear brake pedal position. Replaced both front & rear brake likes after that. Learned the Tupperware tricks, fussed through the pains of learning to handle a bike twice the weight that I was used to. At one point, I was so frustrated I came real (I mean real) close to trading her in for a 2012 R1200RT.

Now, after 4K miles, would not trade her for anything. Simply cannot be beat for a comfortable ride with two reasonably-sized people.

Give the lady a chance- you'll see what I mean.
post #24 of 30 Old Nov 19th, 2012, 8:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_figueroa
Give the lady a chance! As noted earlier, mosts posts here are from people who have problems. There are thousands of LT's out there with perfectly satisfied owners.

We bought ours (a '99 with 19K miles on it) fourteen months ago because the wife wanted to ride and my other bike ('07 Yamaha FZ6) simply will not carry two 18-190 people in anything resembling comfort. Did NOT have a good experience at first- dropped it twice on day one (right in front of everybody the first time, in our garage the second). Split the rear brake line the week after while trying to adjust the rear brake pedal position. Replaced both front & rear brake likes after that. Learned the Tupperware tricks, fussed through the pains of learning to handle a bike twice the weight that I was used to. At one point, I was so frustrated I came real (I mean real) close to trading her in for a 2012 R1200RT.

Now, after 4K miles, would not trade her for anything. Simply cannot be beat for a comfortable ride with two reasonably-sized people.

Give the lady a chance- you'll see what I mean.
Thousands of perfectly satisfied owners? Really? I'd love to see the source of that statistic!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #25 of 30 Old Nov 19th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
Thousands of perfectly satisfied owners? Really? I'd love to see the source of that statistic!
He's right. I'm satisfied, and I'm perfect!!! Ask my wife
post #26 of 30 Old Nov 19th, 2012, 9:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
He's right. I'm satisfied, and I'm perfect!!! Ask my wife
Provide her email address and we will ask her!!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #27 of 30 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 9:45 am

My 2002 K1200LT turned over 70,000 miles yesterday. Just ride her!

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #28 of 30 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 3:51 pm

I bought my 02 a few years ago (8) with 1,000 miles on it and put another 49,000 before selling. It was pretty trouble free.

Several months after buying her, I discovered this site and then broke out in a cold sweat! All for nothing!

Enjoy your new ride......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #29 of 30 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 4:45 pm

Did you make a mistake? Yes. And no.

You made the same mistake I did when I bought mine. I read and internalized the posts about all the failures on the LT? Stop reading the posts about the failures and just read the happy posts.

And no. You lucked into finding one of the finest riding and most comfortable bikes made.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #30 of 30 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Love my 2000. Did have a FDF on the way to Wa from MN. Lost a day in Reno. Since then, no problems with 52k on it. Thought about getting something lighter, but as my wife said.. What would be as fun and comfortable. Enjoy the ride.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in