Anyone have a removable Trike Kit? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 5:31 pm Thread Starter

Anyone have a removable Trike Kit?

I was surfing the web and found what I think is really cool. It's a kit made by Tow-Pac and is called Insta-Trike. You can have either your bike or trike by installing or taking off in just five minutes. They make it for many models including the LT. Check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPH-YvHotNk

2002 BMW K1200 LT.....Bought 6/15/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 7th, 2012, 6:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Anyone have a removable Trike Kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHolly
I was surfing the web and found what I think is really cool. It's a kit made by Tow-Pac and is called Insta-Trike. You can have either your bike or trike by installing or taking off in just five minutes. They make it for many models including the LT. Check out the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPH-YvHotNk
I had a good friend who put one on his Harley when he got into his 80s and no longer felt comfortable handling the bike. I have to admit that I am not sure I see the point in this. As long as I can handle a bike, I will ride a bike. Once I can no longer handle a bike, I may get a trike. However, I can't think of many situations where I would want to go back and forth between the two.

One thing I can imagine would be if I had an injury that prevented me from riding a bike for a temporary period of time. I can then see this accessory being useful to have a trike temporarily, but not have to do a permanent conversion. However, other than a scenario like this, I don't see much of a purpose for this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I had a good friend who put one on his Harley when he got into his 80s and no longer felt comfortable handling the bike. I have to admit that I am not sure I see the point in this. As long as I can handle a bike, I will ride a bike. Once I can no longer handle a bike, I may get a trike. However, I can't think of many situations where I would want to go back and forth between the two.

One thing I can imagine would be if I had an injury that prevented me from riding a bike for a temporary period of time. I can then see this accessory being useful to have a trike temporarily, but not have to do a permanent conversion. However, other than a scenario like this, I don't see much of a purpose for this.
For me now being 65 it seems that it might be pleasurable riding someone with me. I'm a little short and tippy toe at stops. This makes me a little uncomfortable with all the traffic we have here in the Tampa Bay area. A rider would also feel safer not having to worry about the bike falling over. The are other options like Ghost Wheels and the like but this looks the coolest to me and can have it both ways.

Old Nov 7th, 2012, 9:02 pm

My buddy has a Tow-Pac and loves it. He is a smaller statured fellow and had dropped the LT several times. His wife has serious issues with her knees and has a some difficulties boarding the bike. With the Tow-Pac, these issues all go away. They are quite pleased with the system, and it is a quick dis-connect if you so desire.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Nov 7th, 2012, 9:51 pm

I got to say it is a pretty neat way of making your bike into a trike.;who knows someday I might look in to it;; not right now; My wife and I are getting closer to the TRIKE

Gary and Mary
03 LT 1200
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 9:36 am

there is also Landingear which keeps the bike vertical feet up at a stop but the bike remains a bike

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
Old Nov 8th, 2012, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi
My buddy has a Tow-Pac and loves it. He is a smaller statured fellow and had dropped the LT several times. His wife has serious issues with her knees and has a some difficulties boarding the bike. With the Tow-Pac, these issues all go away. They are quite pleased with the system, and it is a quick dis-connect if you so desire.

Do you think your buddy would share a few pictures with us? Sure would like to see an LT with the Tow-Pac. Please ask him! Thanks

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 8:28 pm

I will check with him. We are all way up north where the rides get put away a little earlier than some.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in