Throttle cable upgrade - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 1:35 am Thread Starter

Throttle cable upgrade

Hey gents just need some info on throttle cable upgrade on 2000 and later LTs.I'm from oztralia and own a 2001 LT ,just recently I used the upgraded part numbers for cables from this site and went to fit them,but the pull cable was different and would not fit and the push cable did fit. I went back to my dealer with the cable and he said it was correct,the difference is the new cable has a plastic 90 degree bend at the throttle end as the original has a screw in straight metal fitting.After the dealer getting on to BMW he told me I have to get a new throttle assembly to make it fit upgraded cable.As far as I can see it doesn't say that anywhere on this website.Can you guys shed any light on this as I don't want to fork out money if I don't have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 3:12 am
Super Moderator

Re: Throttle cable upgrade

BMW has out together a Kit that has new cables along with fittings that replace a few of the
plastic pieces on your right hand side throttle control.

See attachments . . .

This kit was put together because the older throttle cable design was poor and many many
cables have snapped in operation - ask me how I know. When I replaced mine on my 2002
which the cables failed about 2006 this kit was selling state side for about $185.

If you are riding a older model LT this should be considered essential PM - your cables will eventually break!!

Here are a few picts of a field repair I did to get me home 400 miles when my cables broke on a trip:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200LT ThrottleCables_ReplacementBulleting.pdf (385.8 KB, 202 views)
File Type: doc BMWK1200LT_ThrottleCableReplacements_inprogress.doc (408.0 KB, 215 views)

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 4:04 am

I have just replaced my 'pull' throttle cable after the original broke after around 128,000 kms. I live in brazil and neither the new or the old cables are available at a sensible price, almost US$300 less shipping and tax!. Consequently, I went to my not-so-local independent BMW workshop where they made up a new cable for me, at a fraction of the cost.

Since fitting the new cable the throttle is now far heavier to pull than it was. The pull cable slides easily but the pull cable seems 'stiff'. Is there something I should have done before just fitting the new cable?

Thanks, in anticipation, Martin

1999 BMW K1200LT "Galatea"
1976 MERCEDES-BENZ 280S "Lady Genevieve"
1993 MERCEDES-BENZ S320 "Lady Audrey"

Last edited by martin280s; Nov 7th, 2012 at 6:11 am.

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 6:05 am Thread Starter

Any idea of a part number for complete kit ?
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 7:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1
Any idea of a part number for complete kit ?
MAX BMW shows 32 72 7 691 990 at $26.90 as the kit you need to add the new cables.

Chuck Swenson,
Sioux City, IA
2010 R1200RT Low with ESA2!
2005 LT
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 12:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Both cables have the plastic elbows and you need the "repair" kit cited above. You cut off the old shroud and install this repair kit for the new cables to function.

Look here for some photos http://picasaweb.google.com/dtnicks/...bleReplacement#
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	469
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	37003  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Make sure you have the new cables installed and tied down exactly the same as the stock ones.

When the local dealer worked on my LT they mis-routed a cable. Net result was cruise control wouldn't work.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 7:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

For anyone who still has their original cables installed, I cut a slot like the one John has pictured and simply re-routed my old cables. This eliminated the hard turn they made into the handle bar cover and they seem to function just fine. With that said, the real issue was the lack of "J" tubes at the throttle which caused a hard right turn and stressed the cable sheathes where they entered the bar cover. If you are uncertain about whether yours have been changed, just look for the "J" tubes at the bottom of the throttle. If they are not there, you need to address the problem.

post #9 of 11 Old Nov 8th, 2012, 2:04 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the picture and kit part number.Are the part numbers for the upgraded cables correct from hall of wisdom section as I think the push cable I got down here looks different.
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 8th, 2012, 6:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
For anyone who still has their original cables installed, I cut a slot like the one John has pictured and simply re-routed my old cables. This eliminated the hard turn they made into the handle bar cover and they seem to function just fine. With that said, the real issue was the lack of "J" tubes at the throttle which caused a hard right turn and stressed the cable sheathes where they entered the bar cover. If you are uncertain about whether yours have been changed, just look for the "J" tubes at the bottom of the throttle. If they are not there, you need to address the problem.
Dean, I remember seeing yours but I could use a little photographic help. Do you have pics?

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #11 of 11 Old Nov 8th, 2012, 1:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The cables are not noticeable when riding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010064.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	665.6 KB
ID:	37006   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010063.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	37007   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010061.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	647.5 KB
ID:	37008  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in