Mirror part number or name where the clips are - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 2:59 pm Thread Starter

Mirror part number or name where the clips are

I couldn't find this with a search though I'm sure I'm not the first with this issue. The front clip-on portion of my right mirror base broke off. I can't seem to figure out exactly which part that is. The part is stamped 2 347 204 9, and googling that gets me nowhere. I think it's item number three in this drawing (with part number 51167670954):

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_...indCat=51_3300

Does anyone know if that's correct?

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Re: Mirror part number or name where the clips are

my understanding is that you have to replace part #3 on the diagram you linked which will really bite your wallet.

have you considered this fix for the mirrors?

There was also another post some time ago about doing it with silicone and making a pocket for the mirror post ball to fit in, I'm sure a more thorough search would reveal that method also.

Just food for thought from a cheap-skate.
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

That part is only $80, that's not terrible. I don't have a lot of spare time right now, work is really busy, so the manual fix is not as desirable.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 6:17 pm

Realoem.com
post #5 of 9 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

I tried that, but the number on the part doesn't come up there. Sure looks like item number three is it though.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 6:53 pm

You need part #3. You will have to search the exact part number of part #3 so as to indicate if it's the Right or Left side Mirror Cup, and if it's either Chrome or Black.

When you get the correct part in, you will pop off the original mirror glass by using a wide flat bladed screw driver, gently insert that behind the lip of the mirror and pry the mirror glass piece off of the old mirror cup. I would suggest either over the bed or at least a folded towel.

If you have the Chromed mirror you will remove the screws that hold the color matched piece to the old mirror and reuse that on the new one. You will probably have no problem seeing the original parts that have to be reused to complete the new mirror assembly. The original mirror glass with it's attaching ring must be pressed into the new cup completely so it doesn't fall out. To see that its inserted in completely, press the mirror glass, again over the bed, etc., like you were adjusting the mirror on the bike. If its not inserted in correctly, it will let you know here and not on the first series of bumps out on the road.

And while you are in there if you haven't already taken care of it... now is a good time to tether the mirrors to your bike. Lots of ways have been suggested around here. What I did was to rummage through the salt water tackle box and take a pair of 8" steel leaders with a Clip on one end and a loop on the other end and remove a screw on the body of the bike located under where the mirror sits and put the loop end under the screw. Then clip the other end through the large opening in the mirror cup. Saved my right side mirror on a recent trip over the Pot Hole roads in NJ.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the detailed how-to! I do have tethers already, they came with the bike. That's why I only have to fix the missing clip part and not get a whole new mirror.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 10:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
That part is only $80, that's not terrible. I don't have a lot of spare time right now, work is really busy, so the manual fix is not as desirable.
I have the chrome mirrors so I was looking at the $108 number, of course I am too cheap for the $80 part
post #9 of 9 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Yup. That's the part that breaks.

We have to get behind the mirror, lit up the tabs around the circular puck, to remove the mirror assembly. That exposes three screws that need to be removed to remove the outer chrome or painted tupperware. You'll find a slot in the side of #3. Gently pry with whatever you insert in to it and the two black pieces easily slide apart.

I try loading pix I took last night of mine broken, but the files are too large.

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in