What is that? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 3:00 am Thread Starter

What is that?

Just to the left of the computer monitor. I read the manual, twice and can't find an explanation. I also have one near the gear shift.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 4:21 am

Re: What is that?

Its called a plug in socket, what it's for is an aux power plug for you to plug accessory's into. On my LT I have one by the shifter and one on the front of the top case for the passenger.
post #3 of 23 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 8:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Eddie,

There are two type of plugs on the beemer that have that type of cover(stock). One is indeed the powerlet adapter type power plug. Usually two or three on the bike, one by the shifter, one on the left of the passenger seat near the speaker, and sometimes one on the right by the brake peddle. The one at the shifter is always powered and lots of folks use that one for the battery tender. The other one only have power when the ignition is on.

The other type of plug is for the communication gear, wired helmet intercom. If your bike has a comm system it would have two of those also. One at the back by the power plug and one up front usually to the left of the radio controls. ( At least on later models )

You can look at Powerlet products here .

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 23 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 9:25 am

Wink Re: What is that?

That is exactly where I had a plug is for the communication gear, or intercom system on my '00. If your bike has a comm system that is where they put them on the early LT's. It could also be a Powerlet plug that the PO may have installed. Easy to tell by just lifting the door/flap and seeing if it has multiple pins or just the one large socket.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 11:33 am

Yeah Eddie I have that one too. Did you get the 12" adapter cable plug with your bike? It can plug into those sockets and ends with a 12v power female socket.

I'm editing the above typos as you read this.
1999 Basalt Grey

post #6 of 23 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Eddie, you sure you're 74, you're like a kid at Chirstmas, love your excitement!

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #7 of 23 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Plug in for the headset for your intercom..Power plug for driver is on the left side by your leg, Passenger plugs are located on the left side under the rear speaker, intercom and power outlet are side by side..

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 23 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 1:27 pm

EddieLo.

There may be plugs like that in several places on the bike as I have added 2 additional Powerlet plugs to mine. They only take the Powerlet type of male plug and if you use them you will see they are much improved over the 'cigarette' type of connector. If you will have anything like a compressor, or anything that needs a 'regular American' type of cigarette lighter male plug, you'll need to get one of the 12" Powerlet adapter plugs mentioned above. Of course the other option would be to get a handful of the Male Powerlet connectors and change things over to that for a better connection. They won't fall out or dislodge from the connection during a ride in my opinion.

I keep a small compressor on the bikes I'm riding that day in the event of a flat or riding conditions deem the need to deflate the tires a bit like on a dirt or sandy road. Yes I do ride the LT on dirt roads down here in some cases and it does fine aired down about 10 lbs. Then I just air them back up with the compressor. Most of these cases are when I'm 'exploring' on the KLR-650 and see something I want to ride and it ends up in turning to a sandy road but I have had to that also on the LT.

I also have used these connections to charge up the cell phone and to charge camera or computer batteries while in route. Works fine with the short Powerlet cord.

Also can be found here --> http://www.whitehorsegear.com/catalo...werlet&x=0&y=0

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #9 of 23 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 1:41 pm

EddieLO

Might mention one more thing if it hasn't already been suggested to you. The purchase of a Clymers manual is highly recommended if you plan on doing your own wrenching or adding things that require a schematic. The Clymers manual is complete and has color coded wiring diagrams in the back. Look on the net, I think I got mine from Amazon for under $30 shipped.

Also, since at our age almost nobody around the house listens to us... and we know we have some brain cells that still work and we are so eager to share knowledge, you'll find good and usable information from us that have gone before you in this new venture you've started.

Tommy

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #10 of 23 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 7:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLo
Just to the left of the computer monitor. I read the manual, twice and can't find an explanation. I also have one near the gear shift.

That's a BMW intercom plug, one up front for you and one on the topbox for passenger

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT
post #11 of 23 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsubmariner
Yeah Eddie I have that one too. Did you get the 12" adapter cable plug with your bike? It can plug into those sockets and ends with a 12v power female socket.
No. Any idea where I can get that adapter cable plug? I would like one for my GPS and my iPod. Think Radio Shack has it? Or must I get it at a motorcycle shop and pay twice as much as RS? Any idea what it's called? It's not like anything I've seen before. It must have a name.
Eddie

2006 Yamaha Morphous "The Space Ship"
2005 Honda Reflex "Hi Yo Silver"
2004 Honda Aero Shadow VT750 "Black Beauty"
2003 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic "primero"
2003 Honda Reflex "Red Ryder"
2000 BMW K1200LT Like new as of 5/10/16
1999 BMW K1200LT "The Silver Bullet"
1996 Kawasaki KZ1000P "the 5-0"
1989 BMW K100RS "White Ghost"
1986 Honda Goldwing Espencade 1200 (work in progress)
1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate 1100 (same)
1980 Yamaha XS1100 fast
1979 Yamaha XS1100 just as fast

1986 Honda CT110
1974 Honda ST90
1982 Honda CT70
1980 Honda CT110
1977 Honda CT90
1976 Honda CT90
1968 Honda CT90

Last edited by EddieLo; Nov 7th, 2012 at 3:50 pm.
post #12 of 23 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 3:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell
EddieLO

Might mention one more thing if it hasn't already been suggested to you. The purchase of a Clymers manual is highly recommended if you plan on doing your own wrenching or adding things that require a schematic. The Clymers manual is complete and has color coded wiring diagrams in the back. Look on the net, I think I got mine from Amazon for under $30 shipped.

Also, since at our age almost nobody around the house listens to us... and we know we have some brain cells that still work and we are so eager to share knowledge, you'll find good and usable information from us that have gone before you in this new venture you've started.
Thank you Tommy. And since since I know you're older than me I will look up to you to help me out, lol. As for the Clymers, I think I'll pass as my knowledge stops at where it says "step one."
Exsubmariner says I can use one for a 12v adapter so I can use my GPS and iPOd. I have no plans to have two-up thus no communication devices needed. Next step is to get a mount for both. Any suggestions?
Thanks Tommy
Eddie
ps, wouldn't it be neat for you and I to ride together with a sign "148 years experience" on our backs?

Ok, I just re-read your post and I see you provided a link. Never mind. I'll check the site out to see exactly what I need.

1980 Yamaha XS1100 fast

1986 Honda CT110
1974 Honda ST90
1982 Honda CT70
1980 Honda CT110
1977 Honda CT90
1976 Honda CT90
1968 Honda CT90

Last edited by EddieLo; Nov 7th, 2012 at 3:56 pm.
post #13 of 23 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 8:03 pm

EddieLo, I'll meet you half way, maybe in Texas next year. Your call when.

Now, you know I've mentioned that I'm not cheap, but do my things on the economy side. Here is what I did to mount the GPS. Being a pilot and navigator I wanted the GPS to be right up in front of my vision so I didn't have to look down and fiddle with it. It's sorta like my own little HUD. I also knew that I didn't want some sort of tray up on my dash. Thin pieces of flat aluminum will cut you like a knife in a crash event so that method was out for me. My 660 Zumo is mounted right up here.

There are little things called Well Nuts. You can get them at a bike shop if you don't care about paying through the nose. I got mine at an Ace Hardware locally. They are not metric but who cares about that at a time like this. I think the ones I have on this project are 3/16" and fit in a 3/8" hole nicely. Pic below. Seems like they were in the $.45 cent range and they had lots of sizes. This one is about 1/2" long on the cylinder part and has a brass threaded insert molded in the bottom. When the bolt/screw is tightened up with the well nut in a hole, it pulls the rubber upward and thus flattening it as it widens against the part underneath. It's just a rubber blind nut to be short.

With the windshield removed, I measured a center point on the rounded part on the dash. I had, many times before, had that dash off the bike doing other things and noted that there were no moving or close parts under where I was going to drill the 4 holes for the Well Nuts. I laid this RAM mount base --> http://www.amazon.com/Mount-Square-2.../dp/B004O8LF26 on the dash and marked the holes with Marks A Lot. I drilled a smaller pilot hole first and then used the correct size drill for the Well Nut. Install the 4 Well Nuts and then lay the RAM mount on it and insert 4 bolts and tighten down and you have something like this. This bolts down tight and there is no movement on the mount.

Adding a 3" RAM Arm like this one --> http://www.amazon.com/National-Produ...s=RAM+3%22+ARM
and an additional Square RAM Mount on the back of your GPS cradle and then your GPS cradle, you come up with this - You can see where I used a Dremel tool to cut out a place for the GPS power cable to route between the top piece and the instrument panel. I hooked power for the GPS into the Map Light so it's off when the bike key is off.

For maybe $40 bucks you have the two RAM Mounts and the Arm and the Well Nuts. The GPS is just under line of sight and right at an easy place to reach up and set or adjust when necessary and it's not covering up anything else you need to see. The other mount piece shown on the windshield in a couple of shots is the mount for the GoPro camera I use from time to time.

Tommy

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #14 of 23 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Tommy,

Can you post a photo of your GoPro camera mounted on that?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #15 of 23 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLo
No. Any idea where I can get that adapter cable plug? I would like one for my GPS and my iPod. Think Radio Shack has it? Or must I get it at a motorcycle shop and pay twice as much as RS? Any idea what it's called? It's not like anything I've seen before. It must have a name.
Eddie

Eddie,
The plugs that fit the socket are aavailable from a company called Powerlet.
Might be available in some auto parts stores and some motorcycle shops.
If you have a John Deere dealer nearby they used the plug and receptical on some of thier small tractors. I bought some 10 years ago and they were 1/2 the price of Powerlet.

Chuck Swenson,
Sioux City, IA
2010 R1200RT Low with ESA2!
2005 LT
post #16 of 23 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebear695
Eddie, you sure you're 74, you're like a kid at Chirstmas, love your excitement!
Thanks Eddee P. Actually, I look 44, feel 34, kids think I act 24, and I'm not gonna tell about 14.
Yep, every time I read something about the LT here that I need to check, I go out to the garage with a good flashlight and check per a suggestion here on the forum, for example, center stand should be flat with floor. When I read that I rushed to the bike to check. It's flat on.
I also was reading on ways to put bike on center stand. I also checked out some youtube videos. So I go to the garage and lo and behold, I can put the bike on the center stand without any help. It took a couple of tries but I know how to do it now.

1980 Yamaha XS1100 fast

1986 Honda CT110
1974 Honda ST90
1982 Honda CT70
1980 Honda CT110
1977 Honda CT90
1976 Honda CT90
1968 Honda CT90
post #17 of 23 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 11:10 pm

Hschisler, I don't want to hijack this thread but this might help others thinking about a camera on the LT... So here are pics I took for you tonight at abt 10:35 EST. Front of LT with extremely dirty windshield and GoPro Hero 2 mounted. I didn't trust the stick on mount from previous experience on the TransAmerican Trail with a couple of GoPro's with stick on mount. One came off and if my son hadn't seen the camera and mount bounding by his bike, we'd have lost it. But I contacted GoPro and they sent me a completely new mount and case assembly. Can't beat that for service. The camera was fine.

So I gently pressed the stick on to the windshield and marked the two holes I had drilled and counter sunk and carefully drilled the necessary holes in the windshield. I used and old fairly dulled drill at a low speed so it did not grab into and crack the windshield. I mounted it with a couple of screws and lock nuts. Counter sinking the hole is necessary as the male part of the camera mount must be able to slide into this part of the mount.

Second pic is from cockpit with bike on side stand. NOTE - The large Black Ball is on the inside of the windshield and the part of the mount for the GPS not part of the GoPro mount. Just so as not to confuse one.

A front view of the GoPro mounted. Note the little white rubber diddy. That piece presses into the camera or male part of the mount after the camera is mounted. It keeps the mount from accidently coming off. A neat little addition to the Hero 2 camera. Second pic in this line is just a lower look at the camera. Note that in this newer version the screen has more detailed information and is right side up. The resolution in HD is quite amazing.

I hope this has helped you with your question.

Tommy

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #18 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2012, 1:35 am Thread Starter

Tommy. When do you use the Pro? Is it for in case you have an accident and it's not your fault? (if it's your fault, the police may ask to see images. Under the 5th amendment you can refuse) Or just to record scenery as you put-put around the good 'ole US of A?
The Pro is on my wish list.
Eddie

1980 Yamaha XS1100 fast

1986 Honda CT110
1974 Honda ST90
1982 Honda CT70
1980 Honda CT110
1977 Honda CT90
1976 Honda CT90
1968 Honda CT90
post #19 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2012, 10:23 am

Thanks Tommy, and apologies to others for the hijack.

Those last 2 photos were just what I was looking for. I was wondering why you used a permanent mount on the windscreen (that is, didn't use the adhesive GoPro mount by itself). You answered that question.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #20 of 23 Old Nov 8th, 2012, 10:57 am

Howard, Don't think anyone minds at all, as long as there is useful information flowing it's good. I did leave the 'stickum' on the mount as a cushion between the actual mount and the front of the windshield and also washers under the lock nuts behind the windshield.

Also might add that the videos were almost like on a tripod because the LT is so smooth. I have the camera mounted on my 'dirt' helmet when I'm on the KLR650 as I'm on dirt roads and the head and body and knees take a great deal of that movement out.

Tommy

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #21 of 23 Old Nov 12th, 2012, 1:20 pm

Tommy, that's a really neat setup for your Go-Pro. I recently bought the first version, and I was wondering how I could mount it to the windshield without worrying about it falling off. I like your method because the quality of the pics/video isn't affected from filming through the windshield. However, it seems you would have to pull over and stop to operate the camera?

I used a helmet mount so I could "swivel" the camera from side to side by using my neck, which isn't too bad, but I can't look off to the side for any length of time, as it takes my eyes off the road ahead.

I might do something similar to your setup, but towards the edge of the windshield, in order to operate the camera while moving.

BTW, care to give some information about that stereo you have mounted in place of the factory one?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #22 of 23 Old Nov 12th, 2012, 1:50 pm

Jeff, On the GoPro mount. As it comes from the factory, there is only one way to move the camera from looking center line. You have movement up and down on the mount, but you would have to also put in an additional mount section to give you some lateral movement. I have tried that on a Hero camera setup and that extra section of mount flexed a good bit and made for lots of movement in the final video.

I have the extra battery back and battery and that gives me just about 4 hours of time on a 32gm card. In the real world, probably about 3:30 to 3:45 minutes but that's a lot. So I just turn it on at the beginning of a run and usually am at pee break or a gas stop and shut it off then. That has worked for me so far. But I wish they would make a cord version so you could have the ability to turn the unit on and off. That's probably in the works for a future version.
Hope this answers the question and help at bit.

On the radio. I had a radio failure pretty shortly after getting the '99 a little over 2 years ago. So going over this great site I found the post about the Jensen Marine Radio. I waited a bit to order as I got wind of the newer version that was coming out. The one I got is the Jensen 2212. What you see in the pics is just the Head Unit. It requires you to remove the old OEM radio unit and that requires you to remove all the Tupperware on the front and sides to get to the Sting Ray to remove the radio. There are several great post on just how to do that on this site so you'll have to search for that by searching for Jensen. The main unit of the Jensen will fit right in the back of the Odments box where the old unit sat and the Head Unit will sit right in where the old keyboard thing was on the OEM radio.

In the wiring department, I have a Clymers manual that has the color coded schematic for the radio. I made up a list of what the wires were and their wire color on the left side of a page and then on the right I wrote down the corresponding wire function and it's color for the Jensen wiring. I cut off the very large black plug on the back of the OEM radio bundle and then took each corresponding wire from the Jensen unit and slid a section of shrink wrap over the wire and soldered it and then heated the shrink wrap. Took a little time but that way I had all the speakers and power connections just like it was the BMW radio. You just loose the usage of the Left handlebar radio box. I tilted up the Head Unit so it gave me better viewing of the window. Works fine and the Jensen also gives you an input for Sirius radio if you want to install the Sirius adapter as I did and also inputs for USB stick with music on that, weather band and an input that I use to run into my J & M CB/Intercom radio. So the wife and I have communications between ourselves and also can listen to music. Pretty neat.

Take care over there -

Tommy

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #23 of 23 Old Nov 12th, 2012, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell
On the radio. I had a radio failure pretty shortly after getting the '99 a little over 2 years ago....
I've recently had some sort of radio failure on my 99 LT as well. Everything is working except the tuner portion, which isn't really a big loss with the crap my locals stations broadcasts these days. If it ends up being a lost cause, I might look into the Jensen model. They've usually been a reasonable price system in the past, though not what I'd call high-end, but as long as it's waterproof. I do like the capability to add XM. I wonder if the GXM30 antenna will hook-up to it? I use that w/ my SteetPilot 2730, but I'm thinking it might not last much longer.

Thanks Tommy for the info. Really good stuff.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in