LT is like a drug - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

LT is like a drug

Hi all. Just purchased a silverish blue 1999 K1200LT. Background, largest bike I've owned was a Yamaha YZF600. 400lbs soaking wet. Test drove the LT and was scared #}{\~,!€* going down the street. On the way back I was nervous and by the time I got home (40 miles) I was just loving it!! And can you believe the stereo system still works? Got a few CDs left but no tapes for the deck.... I have some of that lens restorer for car headlights on order, maybe it'll let me see what channel I'm on when I get it in. :-/ I had bought this bike for commute but after 40 miles I still had a lot left! Pity I let my class M slip away. Now I'm on a permit again for the 3rd time. Can't wait for a Vegas run or San Diego. One thing though... A cup holder? Full face helmet? Ah well, you never really eat all the icing off the plate. Nice decoration though!

I'm editing the above typos as you read this.
1999 Basalt Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:03 pm

Re: LT is like a drug

Good on you man! And guess what? It just gets better and better.

Plus one more thing - whatever music you listen to will be about 10 times better going down the road.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #3 of 38 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:10 pm

If you're talking about using lens restorer on the radio display, don't. Just rub it with dentured alcohol. It'll clear right up.

post #4 of 38 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
If you're talking about using lens restorer on the radio display, don't. Just rub it with dentured alcohol. It'll clear right up.
You mean like isopropyl?

1999 Basalt Grey

post #5 of 38 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:20 pm Thread Starter

Never mind. Google is my friend. It's an ethyl methyl ethyl ethyl. Non drinkable ketone alcohol. Remember that harsh stuff from my Navy days.

1999 Basalt Grey

post #6 of 38 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:24 pm
Super Moderator

Yep . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #7 of 38 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:45 pm Thread Starter

Gee funny, that's where the "informed" sales person said a sticker once was.
Yeah I got my presets dialed in now. Last one was playing Zepplin!

1999 Basalt Grey

post #8 of 38 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsubmariner
You mean like isopropyl?
Yeah, what you said. Sorry.
post #9 of 38 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:49 pm

I also have the same bike as you just got I think. Color is called Basalt Grey Metallic or some derivative of that. My bike was the Econo model as it didn't come with much, but I like you, fell in love with it on the short test ride. The cup holder is nice, but expensive. I'm not cheap, but even at $90 used, that's a good many tanks of gas. When I filled up before I left here in Valdosta, GA it was $3.18.9 a gallon at Sams.

I like bells and whistles so to speak. So first thing I did was to get the temp sensor and then found a nice working and very clean OBC or On Board Computer. I cut the panel and mounted the computer and hooked it up so I had temperature and the other things it will do. Spent about $250 on all that and then saw the problem. Problem is that with the cup holder mounted on the left handlebar (only place it will fit), I couldn't easily see the trip computer there on the left part of the dash. So off with the cup holder and now I still need a place to put a drink.

I finally decided to get a tank bag and settled on the RKA bag. Just like on today's ride of some 375 miles, I took the Mountain Dew and slid it in the bottom part of the RKA bag. When I got thirsty, flipped up the helmet, unzipped the left side of the bag, unscrewed the cap and took a drink. As the LT is like on rails on the highway, that's not a problem and takes maybe 30 seconds to take a drink and the recap the bottle and back in the bag. Also drinks that sit in the cup holder in the sun get hot fast and get jiggled around and loose all the fizz. Doesn't seem that way lying flat in the tank bag.

Just my thoughts on this. Enjoy the new prize. Here's mine -

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #10 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 12:09 am Thread Starter

Isopropyl did the trick in seconds...
Hey tconnell I'm not towing anything, nor do I have Crome mirrors, seat back, and passenger arm rests. (well... Not yet on the arm rests). One thing I am thinking, is if possible, remove 3 proprietary power connectors for marine 12v standard connectors. Thoughts?

1999 Basalt Grey

post #11 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 12:10 am Thread Starter

Forgot. Yeah that's the same color as my bike.

1999 Basalt Grey

post #12 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 12:35 am

Good for you. You got one of the fastest colors. I've had two state policeman tell me that in the past year.

On my bike it didn't have chrome mirrors or the chrome covers that attach on the windshield arms. I found those on eBay and here on this forum. BTW if you really need to have a cup holder, I could pry mine a loose and let you have that one. My wife let me know that she had to have arm rest, floorboards and a Kury cup holder like from the '02 GL1800 GoldWing we still ride some. So that search gleaned those parts in short order. The bike did come with the BacUp Backrest and with the MotoLites installed. Both of those were around the $400 mark each and I got a new ZThecnic windshield as the OEM was almost yellow and about impossible to see through if the sun was at your 12 o'clock. And I only paid $4200 out the door for all that. I think I stole a very nice bike. It had 18,924 miles on it and today at 2 years and 4 days old came in at 55,211 miles. So looks like I've done 36,287 on the ol girl in 24 months. Such a nice nimble bike and she goes anyplace you point her.

What boat were you on?

Tommy

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #13 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 12:45 am Thread Starter

'86-'88 USS Dace SSN607
'88-'90 USS McKee AS41
'90-'93 Subase Pearl Harbor (shore duty)
'93-'96 USS San Francisco

I have a cup holder. Also have full faced helmets for my girl and I. I could see a use at a rest stop somewhere between here and there. The need for the armrests stems from me wanting her to feel comfortable. If your woman's happy, you're happy. Words to live by.

1999 Basalt Grey

post #14 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 12:46 am

Thumbs up Re: LT is like a drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
Good on you man! And guess what? It just gets better and better.

Plus one more thing - whatever music you listen to will be about 10 times better going down the road.

Greg
10-4 on that !!

02 K1200LTE (103K)
01 Honda Valkyrie (49K)
1998 Goldwing Aspencade (58K)
65 Chevelle coupe
USAF, E7 retired
(509-760-6382) if you are in the area and need help
post #15 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 12:54 am Thread Starter

Well I'll just have to try that out tomorrow. Nite all! In early tomorrow, but first in is first out!

1999 Basalt Grey

post #16 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 1:14 am

Quote:
Hi all. Just purchased a silverish blue 1999 K1200LT. Background, largest bike I've owned was a Yamaha YZF600. 400lbs soaking wet. Test drove the LT and was scared #}{\~,!€* going down the street. On the way back I was nervous and by the time I got home (40 miles) I was just loving it!! And can you believe the stereo system still works? Got a few CDs left but no tapes for the deck.... I have some of that lens restorer for car headlights on order, maybe it'll let me see what channel I'm on when I get it in. :-/ I had bought this bike for commute but after 40 miles I still had a lot left! Pity I let my class M slip away. Now I'm on a permit again for the 3rd time. Can't wait for a Vegas run or San Diego. One thing though... A cup holder? Full face helmet? Ah well, you never really eat all the icing off the plate. Nice decoration though!
Here's what we have in common. First, I'm Navy too. I served about the time your parents were in HS. That's all right, still, Go Navy, Beat Army! You were under water in a tube called a submarine aka incorrectly as a "boat." I was Air Navy, but I didn't fly, just pushed airplanes around a flight deck on a ship that shot airplanes into the air. Second, I also just bought a 1999 LT, and third I also rode a Yamaha VStar 650 which I still have. And the most eerie thing is I also rode home the same 40 miles, SSF to SJ all the way with an ear to ear grin. I use a full-face helmet. Oh, did I say my LT was also the same color as yours? Tomorrow I'm going to go on my first ride, apart from the ride home from where I bought it. Welcome aboard!
Eddie
post #17 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 8:09 am

Mine is a 99LT too and from the Navy too but in far away singapore
post #18 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 8:41 am

Get a Dice unit for the CD changer, or one of the ones that adapt the Android phones, and you can get rid of the changer and use an a ipod, iphone, or Adroid phone. You will save a bunch of space in the side case.
post #19 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 8:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarww
That almost sounds like fun, but isn't the traffic there a really MF for such a heavy bike?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #20 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 12:51 pm

Just a couple of FYI's, If isopropyl alcohol works for you then ok, I have always used denatured alcohol, bought a quart can of it at the hardware store, 5 years ago, and still have a bunch, works great if the stock windshield gets foggy too! If you have the cassette player, you are in luck, just go to walmart and get the cassette adapter, plug it into the cassette player, and you can plug in your ipod, iphone, or what ever, simple and effective. you can't control the selections from the bikes handlebar, but you do get to control the volume anyway...cheap and cheap...for cup holder, I have been using this inexpensive cupholder from sportsman's guide (online) also available from bass pro for a little more money, comes in a bunch of different colors, is also very effective, easy to put on and remove, NEVER falls off.....Less that $20 and you can mount it on either side! I tried putting one on the saddlebag for my wife, but didn't do well there....Heres a link..$10.97 plus shipping
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=133732

Congrats on the new ride, I don't know about the drug part, but it is an addiction fersure!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drinkholder.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	36984  

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #21 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell
I also have the same bike as you just got I think.
Just my thoughts on this. Enjoy the new prize. Here's mine -
Just noticed we're the same age. What month in '38? Let's see who's older. Me: 6-17
Old rules!
Eddie
post #22 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 9:21 pm

Quote:
U.S. Navy?
Are you an ex-pat living in Singapore? Howz the cost of living there? And where do you drive? I know the traffic in Singapore and KL is horrendous.
post #23 of 38 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 10:59 pm

EddieLo, Looks like I gotcha. I'm 2-25. '38 was a good year I guess. Man they come around fast now don't they? With retirement and this bike, every day's a good day though. Have fun with yours.

I'm in this coming Tues for R.Eye cataract surgery, so I'll be down for about 2 weeks before I can ride again so I did a little afternoon ride yesterday of about 375 miles down into FL and back. Beautiful riding wx.

Xsubmariner, oldest son Wade was a radioman on subs. He was up and down the east coast and out at Subic and San Diego then over here in GA at Kings Bay. He's up in N.Ga now and rides about 65 miles every day to and from work on a 2007 Kawasaki Nomad 1500. I'm ex Air Force and flew back in 1959 era. Long time ago.

Tommy

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #24 of 38 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 1:39 am Thread Starter

Wow. I turned my thread into a service thread. (as a matter of course LEOs & FD stand with us) OK... My dad was RAF WW2 so I doubt you were in then. I was a happy accident at 42 for my mom.

Wade could probably tell you some tall tales... about 50 years AFTER he's released from his top secret clearance. (I'm thinking I might actually ride out to you to hear them at that time.)

jrlakin: A what? I have an Android phone.

Eddie: You know better. A boat becomes a ship by what its length is. I guess by THAT standard a fast attack is a boat and a boomer is a ship.

Gruivis: Strange. I don't normally listen to music in my sport truck. I really liked it today when I went to the gas station AND PAID $16.50 TO FILL UP!!! Music to my ears...

Eddie: (again) Why is it the Air Force has the best food? Seriously! I went to Hickham AFB for midrats and there were cars from Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines all around the parking lot...

tconnell: Hope the best and steady doctor's hands for you!

Eddie: (yeah I know) My COB always threatened to send me to an air craft carrier. One day I called him aside. I said, ya know when you're in boot camp and have to put 4 things you'd like to do on a paper? I put avaition machinist mate, aviation structural mechanic, aviation electrician, and for a goof put subs as the 4th entry. Then told him I'll qualify subs but could he stop threatening me with what I wanted in the FIRST place!?!

1999 Basalt Grey

post #25 of 38 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 2:36 am

Quote:
Wow. I turned my thread into a service thread. (as a matter of course LEOs & FD stand with us) OK... My dad was RAF WW2 so I doubt you were in then. I was a happy accident at 42 for my mom.

Wade could probably tell you some tall tales... about 50 years AFTER he's released from his top secret clearance. (I'm thinking I might actually ride out to you to hear them at that time.)

jrlakin: A what? I have an Android phone.

Eddie: You know better. A boat becomes a ship by what its length is. I guess by THAT standard a fast attack is a boat and a boomer is a ship.

Gruivis: Strange. I don't normally listen to music in my sport truck. I really liked it today when I went to the gas station AND PAID $16.50 TO FILL UP!!! Music to my ears...

Eddie: (again) Why is it the Air Force has the best food? Seriously! I went to Hickham AFB for midrats and there were cars from Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines all around the parking lot...

tconnell: Hope the best and steady doctor's hands for you!

Eddie: (yeah I know) My COB always threatened to send me to an air craft carrier. One day I called him aside. I said, ya know when you're in boot camp and have to put 4 things you'd like to do on a paper? I put avaition machinist mate, aviation structural mechanic, aviation electrician, and for a goof put subs as the 4th entry. Then told him I'll qualify subs but could he stop threatening me with what I wanted in the FIRST place!?!
Thank your dad for his service. My step-dad landed in Normandy, D-Day+12 and fought through France, Belgium, The Ardennes, and Germany. My mom is still alive. I love people from the Greatest Generation.
I was pulling your leg about the Boat designation. And btw, I always thought submarines had the best food. Never ate at an Air Force facility, so can't compare.
That is a funny story about your rating. I could never serve in the Silent Service. I get goofy when I go in an MRI machine. I had to do several and I insisted on an open MRI. If I had to use the regular one I had to have a mirror or I would freak out. But two Valiums would help and I didn't care where they put me, lol.
Now to get on topic, I have been reading the owner's manual and there are some things that are not covered. I'm going to post pictures on a new thread on the items in question. They may be add-ons.
post #26 of 38 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin
Get a Dice unit for the CD changer, or one of the ones that adapt the Android phones, and you can get rid of the changer and use an a ipod, iphone, or Adroid phone. You will save a bunch of space in the side case.
OK, what's a "DICE" unit? I have the CD changer and an Android. Do like to listen to my rock on Pandora. The speakers in my helmet suck when FM is on. Have a Nolan.

BTW, I'm retired FD (30 yrs) and Navy vet 68-72. Veterans day coming up and mine and the Marines' birthday.
post #27 of 38 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 11:04 am

Eddie:

"Go Navy, Beat Army" works, and works well. But we tended more towards "Fly Navy, Beat Army!"

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #28 of 38 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 10:35 pm

A dice unit is plugged into the existing wiring where the CD changer is. Here is a link.

http://audiovox.diceelectronics.com/avx_validator.php

If you have an Android phone, you can try the Grom unit. Here is a link.

http://gromaudio.com/store/android_a...d_car_kit.html
post #29 of 38 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 11:01 pm

Xsubmariner - I looked at a couple of arm rest for my wife. She wanted to ride with me on the LT but loved the Kury arm rest on the GL. I decided on the Don Muddiman ones. See them here --> http://www.eagle-i.us/

She also wanted floor boards so she had more places to move her feet so they could be in the way when I'm stopped and trying to hold us up in a gravel parking lot -
So I looked around and decided on these --> http://www.dodk64.com/

Both of these items have been on the LT for most of the two years I've owned her and have worked well. She loves them and since I made the top box brackets that can be found on this site so I could move the box back about 2 1/4 inches more than normal, she has plenty of room even with the back rest installed.

Like I said before on a previous post, I'm not cheap but money saved is more money for gas and breakfast. I like to tinker and modify things... and when Momma's happy, the world is a beautiful place

Tommy

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #30 of 38 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 11:07 pm

Xsubmariner - One caution. I wouldn't play too much Zepplin on this bike.

You know it will...... Lead Your Barrell!!

Tommy

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #31 of 38 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Quote:
My is champagne silver, 99LT. And I'm in Singapore too ! Cheers buddy .
post #32 of 38 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 1:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell
Xsubmariner - One caution. I wouldn't play too much Zepplin on this bike.

You know it will...... Lead Your Barrell!!
If I'm gonna drive Heavy Metal I may as well listen to it. lol!

1999 Basalt Grey

post #33 of 38 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 4:46 am

Quote:
If I'm gonna drive Heavy Metal I may as well listen to it. lol!

+1 on what he said!

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #34 of 38 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 7:12 am

...for cup holder, I have been using this inexpensive cupholder from sportsman's guide (online) also available from bass pro for a little more money, comes in a bunch of different colors, is also very effective, easy to put on and remove, NEVER falls off.....Less that $20 and you can mount it on either side! I tried putting one on the saddlebag for my wife, but didn't do well there....Heres a link..$10.97 plus shipping
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=133732

Congrats on the new ride, I don't know about the drug part, but it is an addiction fersure!![/QUOTE]

Eddie, just a thought, but I have found that it is much more sanitary to have a Camelbak or some type of bladder system for drinking water/hydration drinks while riding. They are a necessity here in Texas, especially during the summer.
Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #35 of 38 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 8:06 am

Smile My LT was like a drug

but I finally kicked the habit before it left me sick, broke and homeless.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #36 of 38 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Hi all. Just purchased a silverish blue 1999 K1200LT.
Congrats on your LT!

I just got mine few weeks ago. I considered a new K1600GT. However, the chance to save 10 large and buy a 2009 LT with only 4K miles was too much to pass up.

My previous bike was a Harley Electra Glide, so I was used to riding a big bike. The only thing I'm getting used to is the LT's top heavy feel at parking lot speeds. I'm still not ready to give my wife a ride. On the other hand, the weather is cooler now. She's no longer interested in riding.

I can't wait until next year to take a week long trip. The biggest difference between touring on my Harley and the LT is I can now maintain a faster pace. I also have more protection from the elements. Oh yeah...nobody steals BMWs. I'll sleep better at motels.
post #37 of 38 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 3:35 pm

I have had a few different bikes;but now that my wife has been on the LT ;;she would not get on any of the bikes in the past .
enjoy Tim ;ITS the only bike to tour with.

Gary
LT 03-1200
post #38 of 38 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm Thread Starter

Can't wait for an open day in the schedule to cruise my g/f and I along Pacific Coast Highway. This is a very pleasant bike to be on.

1999 Basalt Grey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in