Packing while riding - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 4:47 am Thread Starter

Packing while riding

I hold a Utah CFP (concealed firearm permit) I have a home in Utah, but right now it's rented out. Anyway, I first went to the FAQ and could not find any threads re: this subject.
I believe there are 31 or 35 states that honor my CFP. In NV I have to LOC (loaded open carry) but not conceal which I think is rather odd. Anyway, most of the southern states have reciprocity laws with Utah.
So, anyone out there besides retired LEOs have licenses? When you enter a state that does not reciprocate, what do you do? I know in CA it has to be locked up in a solid container, which I would take with me for those states that do not honor concealed permits.
How about UOC? (unloaded open carry) anyone done this?
I plan to pack concealed and follow all state laws I enter or cross. I'm an old guy and I can't fight - but I can shoot!
Eddie
ps my weapon of choice is my 9mm G19 and hidden away will be my former off-duty .38 S&W AirWeight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 8:35 am

Re: Packing while riding

In a nutshell, you follow the state's laws on transporting a firearm. Typically, unloaded and locked with ammo stored separately should comply to most states (there are a couple of Draconian states that are exceptions).

Following the state's laws extends to how and where you can carry.
Check this website if you haven't seen it before.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Finally, I would double check the validity of your permit if Utah is no longer your primary residence.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #3 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 9:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLo
I hold a Utah CFP (concealed firearm permit) I have a home in Utah, but right now it's rented out. Anyway, I first went to the FAQ and could not find any threads re: this subject.
I believe there are 31 or 35 states that honor my CFP. In NV I have to LOC (loaded open carry) but not conceal which I think is rather odd. Anyway, most of the southern states have reciprocity laws with Utah.
So, anyone out there besides retired LEOs have licenses? When you enter a state that does not reciprocate, what do you do? I know in CA it has to be locked up in a solid container, which I would take with me for those states that do not honor concealed permits.
I plan to pack concealed and follow all state laws I enter or cross. I'm an old guy and I can't fight - but I can shoot!
Eddie
ps my weapon of choice is my 9mm G19 and hidden away will be my former off-duty .38 S&W AirWeight.
Eddie, the only state that I see that you might have a problem carrying with a Utah permit, other than California, would be New Mexico. I found this page with some helpful info: http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=22127
Texas did sign an agreement with New Mexico that states full reciprocity as long as the holder is 21. Us permit holders need to stick together.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 12:47 pm

There are quite a few states where there are no legal means for a non-resident to carry, just a few examples, illinois, new york, new jersey, california, mass. But you can transport under the Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) as long as you follow the guidelines. When I am in transport mode I put the gun in the mirror case locked in my top case.

Here are 2 good references:
FOPA
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-200...-sec478-38.xml

State by state:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #5 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 3:15 pm

post #6 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 3:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
+1 on that. I buy the updated guide every year.

Regarding the Utah permit: You do not need to be a Utah resident to have that state's permit. You can receive a UT permit by taking the course from a certified UT instructor - anywhere. I took the one-day course in Pittsburgh. Having the UT permit greatly expands your legal concealed carry options.

Regarding threads on this site, on this topic: They may not be in the FAQ or Hall of Wisdom but there are several threads that have discussed this topic. They're out there, with lots of discussion on how to carry, what to carry, when to use, etc., etc. Kind of like our oil and tire threads - lots of opinions.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 4:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Eddie
You mention "off-duty". Are you a former LEO?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 4:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

[QUOTE=dukey33]In a nutshell, you follow the state's laws on transporting a firearm. Typically, unloaded and locked with ammo stored separately should comply to most states (there are a couple of Draconian states that are exceptions).

Following the state's laws extends to how and where you can carry.
Check this website if you haven't seen it before.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Finally, I would double check the validity of your permit if Utah is no longer your primary residence.[/QUOTE

NY is a pain. My solution since I live in PA right next to the border was to get a NY permit. I was told this was not possible as a non-resident, but it turns out that working in NY also qualifies and since I do I applied for a permit. The application from Steuben County said on it quite clearly that you had to be a NY resident, but I just ignored that and sent in the application and fee. After getting finger printed, providing 4 references in NY state, a personal visit to my home by a Steuben County Sheriff's Deputy (very nice gentlemen by the way and we had a great discussion about handguns), and about 4 months of time, I got my permit in the mail. Had to visit the county clerks office to add my handguns to the permit, but that was a non-event also.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 6:09 pm

Eddie,

I would research every state you will riding through to keep out of trouble. California is a real pain in the ass - certain ammo is illegal like the Zombie Max Critical Defense rounds. Also the maximum magazine size is 10. So I had to go out and by low capacity magazines just because of their requirements.

Texas requires that you immediately produce your CCW license when pulled over or you risk having it suspended.

And the list goes on. Fortunately a law as passed in 2010 allowing conceal carry in all federal parks if you hold a valid license.

I guess I'm preaching to the choir when I say that we need a national conceal carry law.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #10 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 6:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
Eddie,

I would research every state you will riding through to keep out of trouble. California is a real pain in the ass - certain ammo is illegal like the Zombie Max Critical Defense rounds. Also the maximum magazine size is 10. So I had to go out and by low capacity magazines just because of their requirements.

Texas requires that you immediately produce your CCW license when pulled over or you risk having it suspended.

And the list goes on. Fortunately a law as passed in 2010 allowing conceal carry in all federal parks if you hold a valid license.

I guess I'm preaching to the choir when I say that we need a national conceal carry law.

Greg
One clarification on Texas.

It used to be that if you had a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) you were obligated to produce the CHL if pulled over, whether or not you were carrying. I believe that the law was amended to require you to produce your CHL only if you were carrying.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
+1 on that. I buy the updated guide every year.

Regarding the Utah permit: You do not need to be a Utah resident to have that state's permit. You can receive a UT permit by taking the course from a certified UT instructor - anywhere. I took the one-day course in Pittsburgh. Having the UT permit greatly expands your legal concealed carry options.

Regarding threads on this site, on this topic: They may not be in the FAQ or Hall of Wisdom but there are several threads that have discussed this topic. They're out there, with lots of discussion on how to carry, what to carry, when to use, etc., etc. Kind of like our oil and tire threads - lots of opinions.
Howard, thanks for this info but just how do I access those threads? I want to read as much as possible before my TX trip.
Eddie
post #12 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
One clarification on Texas.

It used to be that if you had a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) you were obligated to produce the CHL if pulled over, whether or not you were carrying. I believe that the law was amended to require you to produce your CHL only if you were carrying.
Tony, I plan to *always* carry concealed where ever it is permitted. An unloaded gun in a locked container is useless if you ever need to use it. Unless the bad guy is willing to wait a few minutes so you can access your weapon which I think will never happen.
post #13 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Ordered. Thanks!
post #14 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 9:23 pm

Eddie, does Pandora's Box ring a bell, If you are a RLEO, you need to know about POBRA, PATRIOT ACT etc. and have LDF to back you up. As a Citizen, there is just sooo much to know to CYA. Don't know it its worth it, just dont stop anywhere!

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #15 of 31 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:18 pm

Quote:
Howard, thanks for this info but just how do I access those threads? I want to read as much as possible before my TX trip.
Eddie
Just use the Search function on the top of your screen. For example: I entered the word "conceal" (without the quotes). That search returned 34 threads (discussions); the first few are:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...hlight=conceal

There's a LOT of reading out there for you!
Other threads will be exposed if you search for "CCW", "weapon", "permit", etc.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #16 of 31 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 1:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
You mention "off-duty". Are you a former LEO?
Yes. Honolulu PD, UCSC PD, Santa Barbara PD. It was short but a sweet career. Lost 4 partners and good friends.
RIP: Larry Stewart, Robert Corter Merlin Kaeo (all killed in the line of duty) and Enoch Kaina, my good friend. (passed away after long recuperation from being shot by fleeing perp with .45)
Left LE partially because I had five children and my absence would have left my wife with inability to provide for my children.
Now, many years later if I pass while biking, I'll die happy. Of course I'll be happier if I don't.
post #17 of 31 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 4:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Just use the Search function on the top of your screen. For example: I entered the word "conceal" (without the quotes). That search returned 34 threads (discussions); the first few are:

<deleted the links provided>

There's a LOT of reading out there for you!
Other threads will be exposed if you search for "CCW", "weapon", "permit", etc.
Wow! Great links Howard. Have spent the last few hours reading all the posts. Excellent posts out there. Never thought of using the search engine.
Thanks!
Eddie
post #18 of 31 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 9:29 am

Here is a good site concerning concealed carry.....

http://www.usconcealedcarry.net/

..............the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #19 of 31 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Now, many years later if I pass while biking, I'll die happy. Of course I'll be happier if I don't.
We will be happier, too, if you stick around a while!

Look me up when you come to/through the Lone State State!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #20 of 31 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 3:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yes. Honolulu PD, UCSC PD, Santa Barbara PD. It was short but a sweet career. Lost 4 partners and good friends.
RIP: Larry Stewart, Robert Corter Merlin Kaeo (all killed in the line of duty) and Enoch Kaina, my good friend. (passed away after long recuperation from being shot by fleeing perp with .45)
Left LE partially because I had five children and my absence would have left my wife with inability to provide for my children.
The reason I asked is that I ride in a group with a former local city police chief. He said when he retired he was able to get a special federal license/permit that allows him to carry anywhere in the US. I don't know the details, but can ask him if you would like more information. He said what he has is good in all 50 states.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #21 of 31 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
The reason I asked is that I ride in a group with a former local city police chief. He said when he retired he was able to get a special federal license/permit that allows him to carry anywhere in the US. I don't know the details, but can ask him if you would like more information. He said what he has is good in all 50 states.
I could be wrong but any retired LEO can CC in all 50 states without this federal license/permit you speak of. Active LEOs can also CC in all the states.
post #22 of 31 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Quote:
LEOs can carry in all 50 under federal laws enacted since 9/11. Might your friend, the former chief, have an arrangement with his former employer wherein they still carry him as and active LEO?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #23 of 31 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
We will be happier, too, if you stick around a while!

Look me up when you come to/through the Lone State State!
Thanks! I would also be happier if I stuck around a a while, lol
Looking at the map of states that honor my UT CFP, a good way to get to Houston would be to do a clock-wise circle starting in CA (locked and secured) through NV (open carry loaded [if I wanted]) on to UT where I would start concealing, continue to WY, NE, MO, AR, and finally Houston. Returning to SJ I would continue the circle (hopefully stopping in Columbus) to NM (lock and secure) AZ (conceal) and CA (lock and secure). I could then start my map with 10 states visited. Anyone know about how many days I can expect to take doing this route averaging 400-500 miles a day? Without having to go to AAA to get routing, can I get this info online?
Eddie
post #24 of 31 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Thanks! I would also be happier if I stuck around a a while, lol
Looking at the map of states that honor my UT CFP, a good way to get to Houston would be to do a clock-wise circle starting in CA (locked and secured) through NV (open carry loaded [if I wanted]) on to UT where I would start concealing, continue to WY, NE, MO, AR, and finally Houston. Returning to SJ I would continue the circle (hopefully stopping in Columbus) to NM (lock and secure) AZ (conceal) and CA (lock and secure). I could then start my map with 10 states visited. Anyone know about how many days I can expect to take doing this route averaging 400-500 miles a day? Without having to go to AAA to get routing, can I get this info online?
Eddie
Eddie, do you have a GPS?
Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #25 of 31 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Eddie - Google Maps, MapQuest, Streets and Trips, iPhone, etc., etc., etc.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #26 of 31 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 7:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I could be wrong but any retired LEO can CC in all 50 states without this federal license/permit you speak of. Active LEOs can also CC in all the states.
I'm not a LEO and have never been one so I have no first-hand knowledge here. I am just passing on what I have gleaned from a few conversations during trips. I am pretty sure he said he had to get some sort of a special permit and may even have to get it renewed periodically, but I will check with him to get the straight scoop.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #27 of 31 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 10:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I asked my friend about his retire LEO carry privileges and this is what he wrote:

About ten years ago Pres Bush signed a law commonly known as HR218. This was after the name of the legislation. Any honorably retired LEO with a minimum of 15 years can get a HR218 card, that allows the retired officer to carry in all 50 states. The original law required the officer to qualify with the agency that he retired from once a year. Many agencies did not want to get involved with "liability" by qualifying their own retired officers. The law was amended a while back which gives more flexibility to the annual qualification requirement.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enf...ers_Safety_Act
Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #28 of 31 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 10:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

HR218 allows active duty and retired LEOs (with minimum service requirements) to carry in any state in the United States. There is no special card to carry. What is required is a valid retirement or active duty ID card and verification of having qualified within the last twelve months. It is noteworthy to understand that when I am in another state, I am allowed to carry concealed under their laws, not those of my home state, and I have no law enforcement authority in another state either as a retiree or as an active duty officer out of jurisdiction. It is indeed a slippery slope. The yearly qualification requirement was modified to read the agency the officer retired from or works in or the agency where a retired officer resides. That keeps retirees from being forced to make an annual trip just to qualify if they moved away.

With all that said, under the conditions I would be willing to use deadly force these days I am not worried about the local authorities trying to second guess me.

Last edited by deanwoolsey; Nov 4th, 2012 at 10:57 pm.
post #29 of 31 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 9:08 am

If this issue doesn't tell you that we need a change in Washington, then nothing will
post #30 of 31 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 10:26 am

Why in the world would you carry a weapon in a visible position that was unloaded?

If some "bad guy" wants to challenge you because he sees the gun in plain sight, what are you gonna' do, throw it at him?

I never understood that one, nor did I understand the off-duty cops who had what was supposed to be a concealed firearm in plain sight on their belts as they saunter around. Great way to make yourself a bigger target AND take away your element of surprise.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #31 of 31 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 10:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
Why in the world would you carry a weapon in a visible position that was unloaded?

If some "bad guy" wants to challenge you because he sees the gun in plain sight, what are you gonna' do, throw it at him?

I never understood that one, nor did I understand the off-duty cops who had what was supposed to be a concealed firearm in plain sight on their belts as they saunter around. Great way to make yourself a bigger target AND take away your element of surprise.
California had legal UOC but lefties stopped that a few months ago. Here is an example of reloading. Takes only a second or less. I take about two seconds. That's for an auto load. Most UOC guns are auto-loads with an empty mag in the well. If a bad guy sees a weapon he has no idea whether it's loaded or unloaded. I guess the best way to find out is to challenge that person. Your last sentence makes sense. Concealed means just that. Out of sight!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls4Uq1aCiTA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in