My medical food supply in the top pod - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 7:48 pm Thread Starter

My medical food supply in the top pod

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this but I am a cancer survivor. I had stage-4 throat cancer. In July of 2007 I underwent a 14-hour operation (I entered the operating room at 0930 and came out at 2330.) to remove a tumor that was 6cmx2cm. However, they cut outside the border so probably 8x4cm was removed. As a consequence of this surgery I was left without the ability to swallow. No swallow means not eating or drinking by mouth. I have had a feeding tube since then. In July 18 of this year I went for what I thought would be my last check up. Normally the doctor would insert a probe through my nose down to the throat area and look for new or residual cancer. This time he did not use the probe which surprised me. He just looked at my throat, felt around the neck and said, "that's it." I said, "aren't you going to probe?" He said, "no". I said, "well, does that mean I'm in remission?" "No" he answered. My heart stopped for a second. He continued, "you're cured." "What does that mean?" I asked. He said, "it's better than remission."
So, after five years and one day after the operation I find out that I AM CURED!
Here is a pic of my food supply for 5 days. Total weight is exactly 15lbs. I do need about 10 bottles of water as I have to mix the two. If I take a drive to Houston I plan to take about 4 days so I'll have enough. Before my trip I'll ship via UPS a 10 day supply which will be enough for my duration and for my return trip. I use a gravity bag at home and while traveling I use a six-ounce syringe. I will need to stop every 5 to 6 hrs for a feeding. Of course there will be stops for rest, pictures, bathroom, etc.
So folks, you can see I have a slight handicap, both in eating and speech. But my body and mind are strong and at age 74 I still plan to ride my LT to Houston to visit with my mom and sister. It's a dream I've had for many years.
ps, I never smoked in my life. I was told that I "may" have been a victim of second-hand smoke. 98% of throat cancer victims contracted cancer due to smoking and drinking. I did neither. Ok, a shot of tequila now and then, but not a heavy drinker.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 8:09 pm

Re: My medical food supply in the top pod

Hi Eddie;I am so glad your cured and have great time on your LT.Maybe someday we can all get together and take great tour through the country side.

Gary Emelander
03-LT-1200
post #3 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 8:25 pm

Eddie, bless your heart! You are a survivor of the highest order and no one can possibly know what you've been through unless they've experienced just a little bit of what you have gone through and are still going through. I, too, am a cancer survivor. I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in October, 1996. After undergoing three major surgeries at Duke University Hospital and several minor surgeries after that, I now have no stomach to speak of (basically a passageway,) and a piece of my colon that now serves as an esophagus and used to replace the cancerous section. While I had a feeding tube for five months, I am able to eat now but have to eat several small meals each day. Eddie, I know that feeding tube is painful and that it really is a chore mounting the bike. While I had the feeding tube and was waiting those months between surgeries, I had a white Miata and would put the top down and ride wherever in the evenings just to get away and have a change of scenery. I can remember though that it hurt like the dickens to get in and out of that little car. Eddie, you are an inspiration to us all and I wish I could ride with you on that trip into Texas. Whatever you do, ride that LT and continue to enjoy this precious life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jim

2002 K1200LTC, Titan Silver
2006 R1200GS, Yellow

post #4 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 8:42 pm

BIG Grin; Smiles; I'd give you three thumbs up, but it would just look weird.

My run across Texas and NM during the first week in December involved night time temps dropping into mid 30s.

Gerbings heated pant liner, worn over my pants, heated jacket liner, headed in soles, Gortex waterproof BMW year round boots, thick winter gloves, and baklava head cover.

The heated boot soles stretched out my snug fitting boots; the baklava made my snug fitting helmet loose.

80-85 mph, hand grips on high, thick winter gloves, my finger tips got cold.

Riding through Dallas was too hot to ware Gerbings under my roadcraft.

I wanted to make a few stops in TX to meet a few long time members of our community. When I was in Maine I started looking at where they all lived-rediscovered “Dam! it's a big state. That would take quite a few days! A Week?”

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 9:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLo
I'm not sure if I've mentioned this but I am a cancer survivor. I had stage-4 throat cancer. In July of 2007 I underwent a 14-hour operation (I entered the operating room at 0930 and came out at 2330.) to remove a tumor that was 6cmx2cm. However, they cut outside the border so probably 8x4cm was removed. As a consequence of this surgery I was left without the ability to swallow. No swallow means not eating or drinking by mouth. I have had a feeding tube since then. In July 18 of this year I went for what I thought would be my last check up. Normally the doctor would insert a probe through my nose down to the throat area and look for new or residual cancer. This time he did not use the probe which surprised me. He just looked at my throat, felt around the neck and said, "that's it." I said, "aren't you going to probe?" He said, "no". I said, "well, does that mean I'm in remission?" "No" he answered. My heart stopped for a second. He continued, "you're cured." "What does that mean?" I asked. He said, "it's better than remission."
So, after five years and one day after the operation I find out that I AM CURED!
Here is a pic of my food supply for 5 days. Total weight is exactly 15lbs. I do need about 10 bottles of water as I have to mix the two. If I take a drive to Houston I plan to take about 4 days so I'll have enough. Before my trip I'll ship via UPS a 10 day supply which will be enough for my duration and for my return trip. I use a gravity bag at home and while traveling I use a six-ounce syringe. I will need to stop every 5 to 6 hrs for a feeding. Of course there will be stops for rest, pictures, bathroom, etc.
So folks, you can see I have a slight handicap, both in eating and speech. But my body and mind are strong and at age 74 I still plan to ride my LT to Houston to visit with my mom and sister. It's a dream I've had for many years.
ps, I never smoked in my life. I was told that I "may" have been a victim of second-hand smoke. 98% of throat cancer victims contracted cancer due to smoking and drinking. I did neither. Ok, a shot of tequila now and then, but not a heavy drinker.

Eddie, I am very proud of you. My wife is a cancer survivor so I have a small inkling of what you have been through. I you need a place to stop and rest I would be proud to have you. I live in Columbus, Texas. If you take exit 699 and drive exactly two miles North then turn left you will be in my driveway.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 9:54 pm

Thumbs up Re: My medical food supply in the top pod

Eddie, congrats on beating the big C!
Join us for the Cambria ride in the Spring, organized by David Taylor out of the San Jose area. You will among friends however you may have to watch some of us have adult beverages!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm
Hi Eddie;I am so glad your cured and have great time on your LT.Maybe someday we can all get together and take great tour through the country side.

Gary Emelander
03-LT-1200
Gary, I would love to get together. But we are a wee bit apart geographically speaking. I've never been that far north. I do have a very good friend (we were cops together) who is retired and a pilot who of all things builds his own airplanes. Me? I'm satisfied with flying in one of those big jets that have bathrooms, lol. Ok, his airplanes are small one-seaters. Anyway, he goes every year to Oshkosh, which is a place I want to go before I die (another place I want to go before I die is the Calgary Stampede) as I love aviation even though I don't trust airplanes that have tiny wings and tiny motors, lol. So who knows, maybe soon I'll be as far north as I've ever been (in the continental US) and might end up somewhere in your neighborhood.
Thank you! for your sentiments.
EL
post #8 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
Eddie, I am very proud of you. My wife is a cancer survivor so I have a small inkling of what you have been through. I you need a place to stop and rest I would be proud to have you. I live in Columbus, Texas. If you take exit 699 and drive exactly two miles North then turn left you will be in my driveway.

Robert
Robert, thank you for the invite. That is so gracious of you. (I know all about Texas hospitality, so your offer is so typical Texan) I might take you up as I think my routing will be taking me on I10. Only problem is is that when I exit 699 and I turn heading north it loops back on the frontage road taking me west, where I'm coming from. Or do I have to turn right on Alleyton Rd. and go the two miles? (don't you just love google earth?)
Eddie
ps, that's beautiful country you live in.
post #9 of 26 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Eddie,
Congratulations to you on looking cancer in the eye and kicking it's a$$! I hope you enjoy MANY happy, safe miles on your LT with a grin from ear to ear on every mile.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #10 of 26 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 12:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomanjim
Eddie, bless your heart! You are a survivor of the highest order and no one can possibly know what you've been through unless they've experienced just a little bit of what you have gone through and are still going through. I, too, am a cancer survivor. I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in October, 1996. After undergoing three major surgeries at Duke University Hospital and several minor surgeries after that, I now have no stomach to speak of (basically a passageway,) and a piece of my colon that now serves as an esophagus and used to replace the cancerous section. While I had a feeding tube for five months, I am able to eat now but have to eat several small meals each day. Eddie, I know that feeding tube is painful and that it really is a chore mounting the bike. While I had the feeding tube and was waiting those months between surgeries, I had a white Miata and would put the top down and ride wherever in the evenings just to get away and have a change of scenery. I can remember though that it hurt like the dickens to get in and out of that little car. Eddie, you are an inspiration to us all and I wish I could ride with you on that trip into Texas. Whatever you do, ride that LT and continue to enjoy this precious life.
Jim, I understand that esophageal cancer is very dangerous and usually fatal. But you survived! Good on you! Surprisingly I have not experienced pain with my tube. Also, after surgery I was in ICU and recovery for ten days and there I also did not experience pain. Of course, the morphine drip kinda helped, lol. I was sent home to recuperate for five months before returning to work. I drive/drove transit buses for the county. I had to convince my doctor that I could do the job and promised her I would not take my pain meds except on Fri. and Sat. My other task was to convince my superintendent that I could still drive, albeit with a difficult time with my speech impediment. My bosses, my doctor, my co-workers, and my union wanted me to retire but I refused and drove for five years until at age 74 I decided I had enough. It looks like your procedure was more difficult than mine. As I said before I have no pain with my tube, which is good. The pain I do have is in the lower jaw, but it's not constant. I use Vicodin and hydrocodone, but only when needed.
Jim, you are also an inspiration and applaud you for having beaten that terrible big C. I also wish we could ride together, with a sign behind us saying, "We Are Survivors!"
post #11 of 26 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 12:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Eddie,
Congratulations to you on looking cancer in the eye and kicking it's a$$! I hope you enjoy MANY happy, safe miles on your LT with a grin from ear to ear on every mile.
Thank you! I rode the bike home today with that grin you describe. Thankfully my full-face helmet hid that grin, otherwise motorists around me would have wondered if I was a little off or something, lol.
post #12 of 26 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 12:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Eddie, congrats on beating the big C!
Join us for the Cambria ride in the Spring, organized by David Taylor out of the San Jose area. You will among friends however you may have to watch some of us have adult beverages!
Thank you!
Oh, I don't mind watching you guys drink. I'll be happy to be the designated driver, lol.
So where or what is Cambria? Are all riders LT owners? Or is it open to an brand?
post #13 of 26 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 12:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
BIG Grin; Smiles; I'd give you three thumbs up, but it would just look weird.

My run across Texas and NM during the first week in December involved night time temps dropping into mid 30s.

Gerbings heated pant liner, worn over my pants, heated jacket liner, headed in soles, Gortex waterproof BMW year round boots, thick winter gloves, and baklava head cover.

The heated boot soles stretched out my snug fitting boots; the baklava made my snug fitting helmet loose.

80-85 mph, hand grips on high, thick winter gloves, my finger tips got cold.

Riding through Dallas was too hot to ware Gerbings under my roadcraft.

I wanted to make a few stops in TX to meet a few long time members of our community. When I was in Maine I started looking at where they all lived-rediscovered “Dam! it's a big state. That would take quite a few days! A Week?”

Best from tucson
Bob
I'm happy to know you are normal and have only two thumbs, lol.
You drove in the middle of winter? We came from Hawaii and when we arrived in LA it was 62 degrees and were freezing!
I have a home in Kauai and plan to live six months there and six months here. The winters will see me there so that will certainly keep me away from riding like you did. You are one brave soul. I want to ride when it is not cold, not raining, not snowing, and not windy, In other words, ride when it's perfect weather which I'm sure is just dreaming but I'd rather drive in the spring or summer as apposed to riding in the winter.
post #14 of 26 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 1:02 am

Quote:
Thank you!
Oh, I don't mind watching you guys drink. I'll be happy to be the designated driver, lol.
So where or what is Cambria? Are all riders LT owners? Or is it open to an brand?
It all started with LT riders, then some of the LT riders started riding other models, and invited friends who rode other brands... So YES it is open to anyone who rides and enjoys a good times with friends.
The ride event will be advertised around March and will take place some time in May, usually around Mother's Day.
We all stay at the Blue Bird Inn and walk to the restaurant where we'll have dinner and somehow manage to find our way back to the Inn...
Good crowd, good time!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #15 of 26 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 2:25 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
It all started with LT riders, then some of the LT riders started riding other models, and invited friends who rode other brands... So YES it is open to anyone who rides and enjoys a good times with friends.
The ride event will be advertised around March and will take place some time in May, usually around Mother's Day.
We all stay at the Blue Bird Inn and walk to the restaurant where we'll have dinner and somehow manage to find our way back to the Inn...
Good crowd, good time!
Gilles, I still don't know what or where is "Cambria."
post #16 of 26 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 8:23 am

Quote:
Robert, thank you for the invite. That is so gracious of you. (I know all about Texas hospitality, so your offer is so typical Texan) I might take you up as I think my routing will be taking me on I10. Only problem is is that when I exit 699 and I turn heading north it loops back on the frontage road taking me west, where I'm coming from. Or do I have to turn right on Alleyton Rd. and go the two miles? (don't you just love google earth?)
Eddie
ps, that's beautiful country you live in.
Eddie, you are correct. Loop back West then go North. I'll PM my phone #s. The area used to be beautiful before the forest fire last year. Now we have a lot of burned sticks for trees. I only lost 3 small out buildings, 12 of my neighbors lost their homes. That's life. If your bike needs anything I have a full shop. Hope to see you.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #17 of 26 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 8:47 am

Eddie (and all others) CONGRATULATIONS on your recovery. I think that most families have been touched by cancer and many can emphasize with what you have gone (and going) through. It is an inspiration and I wish you good heath in the future.... Keep Riding.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #18 of 26 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Eddie (and all others) CONGRATULATIONS on your recovery. I think that most families have been touched by cancer and many can emphasize with what you have gone (and going) through. It is an inspiration and I wish you good heath in the future.... Keep Riding.....
I couldn't have said it any better. If you ever find yourself in this neck of the woods, give me a shout.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #19 of 26 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
Eddie, you are correct. Loop back West then go North. I'll PM my phone #s. The area used to be beautiful before the forest fire last year. Now we have a lot of burned sticks for trees. I only lost 3 small out buildings, 12 of my neighbors lost their homes. That's life. If your bike needs anything I have a full shop. Hope to see you.

Robert
Oh Wow, Sorry to hear about this. Were you a victim of those devastating "border to border" fires last year? Yeah, that green GE image was taken 3-31-08 when the countryside was lush with green . How have the rains been this year? In any case, I hope you and the land have had a speedy recovery.
Glad to hear you have a full shop. For starters, how about a complete overhaul? NAH!
Just prior to the trip I'll get a tune-up. So happens that I know someone who is an ex-BMW dealer m/c mechanic and has a small shop in his garage. I'm sure he can do a simple tune-up.
You all take care, you hear?
post #20 of 26 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
I couldn't have said it any better. If you ever find yourself in this neck of the woods, give me a shout.
Thank you Dan and Chris!
Much appreciated.
Eddie
post #21 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 7:56 am

Quote:
Thank you Dan and Chris!
Much appreciated.
Eddie
You are MORE than welcome.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #22 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 9:12 am

Cancer survivor here (Prostate). Many Good Miles to You Brother; Via Con Dios.

Will
post #23 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 11:16 am

Quote:
Gilles, I still don't know what or where is "Cambria."
Eddie, Cambria is on the California central coast, just a few miles South of the Hearst Castle.
It is a beautiful ride on the Pacific Coast Highway, and as you pass by the Hearst Castle slow down and look for the herd of zebras in the pasture.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT

post #24 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Hit me up when you are going to ride. my wife and I will head out to west AZ and ride some of the slab with ya
post #25 of 26 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiler
Hit me up when you are going to ride. my wife and I will head out to west AZ and ride some of the slab with ya
Foiler, today I was sketching out a road map trying to figure out about how many miles I would ride. So far I have myself leaving San Jose and heading to Utah. It's 800 miles and have made it many time in a car. Usually I stop at Winnemuca and find a hotel. After Utah it's straight to Cheyenne which I can make in one day The next trip will be to Omaha, again a one day ride. From Omah it's 184 mi. to Kansas City, MO. Another one day to Little Rock, AR. From Little Rock I go to Allen, TX another one day trip. Then South to Houston, where I'll spend a week or so resting up for the return trip. Leave Houston and do a short trip to Columbus. From there a long trip to El Paso and after EP really long trip to Riverside, CA. Finally, a one day trip back to San Jose. Total miles SJ to Houston: 2963. Total miles Houston to SJ: 1888. Grand total: 4,851 miles.
Eddie

2006 Yamaha Morphous "The Space Ship"
2005 Honda Reflex "Hi Yo Silver"
2004 Honda Aero Shadow VT750 "Black Beauty"
2003 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic "primero"
2003 Honda Reflex "Red Ryder"
2000 BMW K1200LT Like new as of 5/10/16
1999 BMW K1200LT "The Silver Bullet"
1996 Kawasaki KZ1000P "the 5-0"
1989 BMW K100RS "White Ghost"
1986 Honda Goldwing Espencade 1200 (work in progress)
1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate 1100 (same)
1980 Yamaha XS1100 fast
1979 Yamaha XS1100 just as fast

1986 Honda CT110
1974 Honda ST90
1982 Honda CT70
1980 Honda CT110
1977 Honda CT90
1976 Honda CT90
1968 Honda CT90
post #26 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 4:52 pm

AWESOME! Hit me up on your way back from El Paso, we will head south and ride some with you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in