Help with passenger rules - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 9:04 pm Thread Starter

Help with passenger rules

My wife is a very tiny lady. About 100lbs, 4'9" in height. I've never had a passenger on a m/c. What specific rules are out there for handling a bike with a passenger? I have a 99LT.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.
EL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 9:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Help with passenger rules

First question is how long have you been riding the LT? If the answer is 6 months or 6,000 miles then you are ready.

Second question. Has she ever riden on the back of a bike? If not then some education is in order so she understands not to fight the lean. Even as small as she is if she makes the wrong move at the wrong time it can be a handling handfull. Especially at low speeds.

I am sure others will chime in.

OK. I just read your other post - you have a few years on me but not much. Still a good idea to become intimate with the LT before adding the distraction of a passenger. Enjoy the ride she is a great one.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 9:30 pm

+1 on what John said.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLo
My wife is a very tiny lady. About 100lbs, 4'9" in height. I've never had a passenger on a m/c. What specific rules are out there for handling a bike with a passenger? I have a 99LT.
Any feedback greatly appreciated.
EL
my wife is similar, been chauffeuring her around since we met, told her to stay directly behind me even when leaning in a corner, she always made sure I drove responsibly by sucker punching me in the kidneys should I get overly enthusiastic

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #5 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Don't be afraid to ride with your wife. My wife is not quite as petite and rode but a few times with me over the years, mostly on middle-weight sport bikes. The first time I got on an LT was when I took delivery of it. My wife was with me and we got on the bike and rode it home 1200 miles. You have lots of riding experience and should have no problem with your little lady on the back.

I much prefer the wife on the back of the LT than on the back of the Moto Guzzi, Ducati or R1100S's I had. Or even the Dyna Wide Glide I rode for a very short while. I presume the extra weight of the LT makes it less sensitive to the weight of a passenger compared to those sportier bikes. The way to get your wife used to the bike is to tell her to hold on to you. Get her to wrap her arms around you. That way she has to move with you and won't feel that she has to counter. Once she gets used to riding she'll probably prefer to lean back against the backrest and fall asleep like my wife do.

The LT is heavy, but once you have your feet up it becomes a ballerina. I like the way it handles and don't have a problem at low speed. And with the Corbin seat I also have to move forward to flat-foot.

Hope you enjoy your new motorcycle!

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
First question is how long have you been riding the LT? If the answer is 6 months or 6,000 miles then you are ready.

Second question. Has she ever riden on the back of a bike? If not then some education is in order so she understands not to fight the lean. Even as small as she is if she makes the wrong move at the wrong time it can be a handling handfull. Especially at low speeds.

I am sure others will chime in.

OK. I just read your other post - you have a few years on me but not much. Still a good idea to become intimate with the LT before adding the distraction of a passenger. Enjoy the ride she is a great one.
Thanks John. Good ideas. Although I do have many years of m/c driving, I've never had a passenger on board. I guess it's because I've never owned a touring bike. I think I like your 6/6 rule. Sounds reasonable to me. Thanks again for your input.
EL
post #7 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:40 pm
JWA

Garage

When I got the LT, I took a motorcycle refresher course with the Missus. She has been on board for 90% of the miles on the bike (currently 80k)
Here are a few tips the instructor gave us:
The passenger must confirm with the driver before embarking or disembarking,
The passenger must stay upright when riding (snoozing is optional) except for hard low speed turns when she can lean outboard smoothly to help the bike lean into the curve (needs to be practised)
When coming to a stop, the passenger should stay upright or look over the right shoulder of the driver, helping him to put his left foot on the ground. She should not lean left particularly on a LT. The driver should also keep the steering straight but that is another story...
Enjoy!

1999 K1200LT HL Basalt Grey/ Fleximum Sidecar
1983 Silverwing 650 leaner/1987 Velorex Sidecar
post #8 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres
Don't be afraid to ride with your wife. My wife is not quite as petite and rode but a few times with me over the years, mostly on middle-weight sport bikes. The first time I got on an LT was when I took delivery of it. My wife was with me and we got on the bike and rode it home 1200 miles. You have lots of riding experience and should have no problem with your little lady on the back.

I much prefer the wife on the back of the LT than on the back of the Moto Guzzi, Ducati or R1100S's I had. Or even the Dyna Wide Glide I rode for a very short while. I presume the extra weight of the LT makes it less sensitive to the weight of a passenger compared to those sportier bikes. The way to get your wife used to the bike is to tell her to hold on to you. Get her to wrap her arms around you. That way she has to move with you and won't feel that she has to counter. Once she gets used to riding she'll probably prefer to lean back against the backrest and fall asleep like my wife do.

The LT is heavy, but once you have your feet up it becomes a ballerina. I like the way it handles and don't have a problem at low speed. And with the Corbin seat I also have to move forward to flat-foot.

Hope you enjoy your new motorcycle!
Good points Andre. However, falling asleep is remarkable. I think it will take many miles before my wife will attempt that.
Thanks for you input.
EL
post #9 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Its really easy, only three rules: Sit down, hang on, and shut up!

This does not work in real life.

It is ok for the passenger to either sit straight up in turns or to follow the driver. It is not ok for her to
change her mind in the middle of a turn.

One of the quickest ways to drop these things to have the passenger swing their leg wide when they climb on behind you. Keep that swinging leg close to the bike.

I read with amusement the comments about the jabs in the side. Even with a comm system they seem to like to jab

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #10 of 22 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 11:59 pm

I would remind your wife to hold the hand grips while riding through intersections. A sudden stop on your part can easily launch her forward (don't ask me how I know). And along those lines, it's easy for the passenger to get lulled into sightseeing and not paying attention to what's going on. So be prepared to remind her to hold on if you anticipate a need to quickly change direction or decelerate.

I love this caption - 20 years of marriage and she's holding me tighter then ever.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #11 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 8:00 am

I usually tell my passenger (when she's climbing aboard) to try and keep her body close to the bike. It helps minimize my need to hold the machine vertical when she's mounting it.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #12 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 11:06 am

All good advice so far, my wife has been my passenger for over a hundred thousand miles,
quite a accomplishment considering she had never been on a motorcycle before she met me.

One of the best things I ever added to my bike was the intercom system,
it made our time on the bike together more intimate and enjoyable,
it also provided her with opportunities to tell me how not to drive to fast,
where she wants to shop, eat or stop for bathroom breaks
It's all worth it to have her with me.

When we depart, I get seated on the bike with both of my hands on the handlebars,
I give her the go ahead, she climbs on, grabs the handles on both sides and we ride away,

same thing dismounting, I will usually deploy the centerstand while we are both still seated,
then I give her the go ahead, she dismounts first, then I do.

The only thing I would like to add to that is stop often and make sure it is nothing but enjoyable for her.

I'll give you an example,
when I was single I would do as many BMW rallies as my schedule allowed,

When we were dating, I took my wife to the north Georgia rally,
(her first camping and rally experience)
it rained for three days, we left early and went to a motel,
it took almost two days to get all our gear dried out,

because of that she doesn't camp or go to motorcycle rallies,
if I want to go I go alone.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #13 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 11:32 am

Here is the MSF's tip sheet on passengers. Good info to start with.
http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Pas..._Tip_Sheet.pdf

Develop a communication plan with your passenger, either verbal or non-verbal. That will go a long way to having a safe and fun ride.

I would say the top tip is the passenger should not do anything before informing the pilot.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #14 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 11:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
All good advice so far, my wife has been my passenger for over a hundred thousand miles,
quite a accomplishment considering she had never been on a motorcycle before she met me.

One of the best things I ever added to my bike was the intercom system,
it made our time on the bike together more intimate and enjoyable,
it also provided her with opportunities to tell me how not to drive to fast,
where she wants to shop, eat or stop for bathroom breaks
It's all worth it to have her with me.

When we depart, I get seated on the bike with both of my hands on the handlebars,
I give her the go ahead, she climbs on, grabs the handles on both sides and we ride away,

same thing dismounting, I will usually deploy the centerstand while we are both still seated,
then I give her the go ahead, she dismounts first, then I do.

The only thing I would like to add to that is stop often and make sure it is nothing but enjoyable for her.

I'll give you an example,
when I was single I would do as many BMW rallies as my schedule allowed,

When we were dating, I took my wife to the north Georgia rally,
(her first camping and rally experience)
it rained for three days, we left early and went to a motel,
it took almost two days to get all our gear dried out,

because of that she doesn't camp or go to motorcycle rallies,
if I want to go I go alone.
Great points, Hans. I feel the same way about having my wife ride with me. She can be a PITA, but she is worth it. I have heard her say the same. Riding the LT is fun, riding the LT with my bride is even more fun because we share it.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #15 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 11:44 am

Garage

EL, goggle "two riding" "Riding with a passenger", etc. Lots of good info out there. This is one link that will be help full.

http://www.her-motorcycle.com/Riding-2-up.html

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #16 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 11:59 am

What? No one has said it yey?

"Get on, sit down, shut up, and hang on!"

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #17 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 12:42 pm

Explain to your rider that just like with airplanes, the most important time to not disturb the pilot is during take off or landing.
post #18 of 22 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 3:30 pm

Hi EddieLo and welcome,

I'm new here too so my welcome is like when the stewardess welcomes you to the city you just landed in even though she was there only 1/10 of a second before you.

I don't have the experience riding you do in years or miles. I have 25k miles on a sport touring bike (Triumph Sprint) and recently bought an 06 LT. I have approx 3k on it. But I had passenger experience with my other bike, so I wasn't overly concerned about having a passenger on the LT. On the maiden voyage, bringing the bike home I was surprised when my passenger told me she would sometimes move around, shift, stretch her legs, etc. I was completely unaware of her motion in the back. She is about 100lbs, and knew not to get too squirrelly, but in general, my perception is that its not a huge difference in bike control when she's on vs. when she's not.

I strongly agree with the "make a plan and stick to it" mentality. I've often compared riding my Sprint to the LT by saying that on my Sprint I don't hesitate at corners, driveways etc when rolling a turn. I can easily look opposite the way I'm turning while moving and, even if I end up seeing something that makes me stop, I can stop without fear or fuss. I rarely do that on the LT. When I'm on the LT approaching a stop I remind myself what the MSF class taught me "head and eyes up, etc, etc". I feel like a weenie for having to "go backwards" in terms of bike control, but the alternative most likely will be dumping the bike and I like that option less.

Overall, I find myself getting on the LT more than the Sprint now for things like going to the gym or grocery runs (snacks usually). So much so that I'm probably going to sell the Sprint - my first bike - which I've had about 10 years.

Bottom line - it's a great all around bike. Get comfortable on it and soon you'll be cruising around town soaking in the envious looks of guys who wonder who the super cool guy is who obviously is some sort of bike handling expert to be driving such a monster all over town so easily. Ok - maybe that's just what I tell myself.

Chris
post #19 of 22 Old Nov 1st, 2012, 2:42 pm

Just like a horse. She gets on and off from the left side only, and when I say so. That way we both expect the same thing every time with no surprises....

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #20 of 22 Old Nov 1st, 2012, 3:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW
Explain to your rider that just like with airplanes, the most important time to not disturb the pilot is during take off or landing.
+1, this was the rule I gave my wife, when starting and stopping don't move a muscle. Also had to break her of the habit to lean over right to talk to me when stopped, almost dropped at an intersection on the ride home, left foot out holding bike, right on brake and she leaned over to the right to tell me to raise up the windshield, almost took us down.

On the LT I tell my hunny to just relax and lean back into the backrest, that way she stays aligned with the bike much more instinctively. On my R1200C she always wants to lean away from the turn no matter how much I tell her, on the LT this tendency does not occur, BMW designed in a cure for many passenger problems on the LT between the luxuriously wide seat to eliminate squirming, the ample backrest to relax into the natural movement of the bike, large pegs to comfortably hold feet steady, handles in a comfortable location and size, and no hot parts exposed to surprise the passenger on contact and cause a jerk reaction.

Make sure to add a little preload to the rear shock before you take her but I think an experienced rider such as yourself is going to find adding a passenger (esp on the LT) to be much ado about nothing. Once I got home, and rode the bike on some practice stuff in a parking lot, I grabbed my wife and put her on then went and practiced some low speed maneuvers without her first (so she could see what I was doing) and then put her on, to be honest I did not feel much of a difference. Soon enough she will be sawing logs on the queens throne behind you and you will have the benefit of a solo ride with the advantage of your sweetie along (there was a whole thread a couple months back about this passenger sleeping syndrome, apparently quite wide-spread).

If you don't have comm, get one of the bluetooth sets out there, increases the joy of riding by an immeasurable factor, if you ride with other riders it will be nice to be able to talk to them also, just make sure you get a compatible model to theirs.
post #21 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 8:29 am

I'll agree to everything that's been said so far. That includes the "sit down, hang on and shaddup!" Well, there are exceptions to that last rule. Best thing I can suggest is to go over all of the rules before mounting and riding off. Trying to tell your passenger to sit straight at stops and to lean with the driver into curves while actually riding is usually met with a series of "What? What? WHAT?" followed by an unpleasant swerve or tipover. Your passenger should also pay attention to what's ahead. Sightseeing while approaching a red light can lead to a helmet to helmet collision. This also suggests that the driver must realize that stopping distances are going to increase along with a change in slow speed handling characteristics. So make sure the passenger is anticipating certain changes during the ride.

When I took my wife on her first ride I gave her the lecture and rules and off we went. She had never ridden on a motorcycle before. I told her we'd do a ten mile loop and if at any time she felt uncomfortable, a double tap on the helmet would head us back to our starting point. Since our home lane is a three quarter mile dirt and stone lane, we began in a parking lot close to our home. I took it easy. When we returned we had the following conversation,

"Why are we stopping?"

"We've done our ten mile loop."

"Well, we can keep riding if you want to." I did want to keep going, it was a nice day.

"Are you holding back in the curves?"

"Yeah."

"You don't have to; they're fun."

A year later and I appointed her official photographer while riding. She was a bit hesitant at first, but ten years later and she's almost ready to escort and photograph the Tour de France. I am now used to her moving to take pictures and have even watched the lens appear in my peripheral vision as she leaned over my right shoulder to get a picture through the windscreen as we approached the entrance to a tunnel.

Note! It has taken quite a few years and a few thousand miles to get to this point. One successful ride doesn't mean you should pack up and take her for a high speed run on the Dragon or a five hundred mile day ride.

Again, communication is the solution. Tell your passenger what to expect on the ride: hills, curves, twisties, destination, what we'll see, etc. If you don't have an intercom work out some hand signals or taps on the shoulders. A punch to the kidneys usually means "I want to stop NOW!!" Don't forget to do a debriefing as to how they felt about the ride. This can go a long way toward planning future trips. The policy of "Don't ask. Don't tell." doesn't work here. I know my wife will want to stop at least once an hour just to stretch her legs (bad knees). My bladder is bigger than hers. And somewhere along the way, there had better be some food.

Good luck.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #22 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 7:03 pm

With my wife, just over 5 ft:
kick stand down--OK to get on
kick stand down--OK to get off

When fully seated, before kick stand up, hug pilot; hands free to roam while still in garage.

Once kick stand down, before getting off, hug pilot; tell pilot you are saving your free roaming hands for later (almost always later for hand signals--finger pointing to garbage can, laundry room, "squeeze dent in the middle of the toothpaste tube, etc).

Fortunately, she had a great sense of humor.

Best
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in