My first large bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 3:27 am Thread Starter

My first large bike

I bought this LT today. It's my first BMW, and my first LT. It's a 1999 with a lot of extras. Low miles (25K) and previously owned by two gentlemen over age 60. I haven't ridden it yet, plan to pick it up on Thursday. This is my first large bike, both in weight and CCs. The seat is a little bit too high for me and I don't know if the seat can be adjusted as the factory seat has been replaced by Corbin seats. (cost $1300). I have boots but still need about 1/2 inch more low so I can touch the ground flat footed. Any suggestions appreciated as to how to reach the ground the way I'd like to. (deflate the tires? )
This is my first post, so plan to lurk for a while so I can learn as much as possible about this beauty.
Thank you all
EL
ps, I guess I should add that I'm 74 years old.

Last edited by EddieLo; Oct 30th, 2012 at 3:36 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 4:52 am

Re: My first large bike

Congratulation to your new Beauty Eddie.
The 99 is a very reliable bike be happy with it, have a lot of fun and many joyful miles.
Your seat hight must not be a problem. There are two positions in hight if you are already in the low position, you will find out if you get the bike, then try without changing anything is just a point of balance and feeling. I have this since 2001 can't reach down flat footed is no problem you getting used to it.

Manfred
post #3 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 8:18 am

That's the best color, my 2k is the same, I cannot flat foot it, balls of feet only, watch road surface when coming to a stop.

I'm not quite 70 so gives all of us aging guys not there yet hope, enjoy

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

post #4 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Eddie,

Welcome to the forum, lurk to your hearts content but ask as many questions as you can think of great folks here to help.

Since you have an aftermarket seat you loose the height adjustment the OEM had. Some folks have added pads to the soles of the boots to get the feet on the ground. Perhaps you could contact the seat maker to see if they can lower the seat.

When you get the bike on the road be sure to stop with the front wheel STRAIGHT, otherwise it will take a nap. Don't slip the clutch when starting, let it out ASAP and then apply power. The engine likes high RPM's so spin it up over 4000 before shifting.

HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:27 am

h Corbin seat does not have a height adjustment to it, they did however make a "low" seat pan which really means that they made the pan a little more narrow. When you are going to put your feet down you can slide forward in the seat a bit and reach the ground better. Sliding back and forth on the Corbin is easy since it is so firm.

If reaching the ground continues to be a problem you might want to consider searching the Classifieds on this site and flea-bay for a stock seat. With my stock seat in the high position I can easily flat-foot the bike, with the Corbin I can still flat foot but just barely.

Welcome to the club, just make sure to maintain her (lots of good info here on that) and the bike will reward you handsomely. Don't be afraid of the fat ole' gal, just remember there's ~800 lbs below your butt, it's easy to forget that fact once the bike is moving. Actively scan where you are going to stop before you get there and make sure that you won't end up with your feet going down in a low spot. Be more aware of road slope, dips at stop signs etc, because once she reaches a point of lean the only thing that will stop her from going down is the pavement, it will just thrash your body on the way if you try to stop her.
post #6 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Consider having thicker soles made for your riding boots. A number of forum members have gone this route with good success. The stock seat advice may or may not be good. Most folks (many folks?) opt to swap the stocker seat for an after market seat that is a little more keester kindly. Many different options but the additional sole height to your shoes might just work for you.

Enjoy!

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 1:01 pm

I had the same problem when I test rode mine, then the dealer lowered the suspension with an adjustment knob under the seat
Mine is an 09 so it may be different
post #8 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 1:12 pm

If you take it off the center stand, I think that your feet will touch the ground.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #9 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 1:16 pm

Welcome! Glad that you found us. I truly believe that you are going to L-O-V-E your new ride!

Remember, keep the front wheel pointed dead ahead when you are coming to a stop!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Don't know if this will make sense, or even help, but something I tell all new riders (new to riding and new to a particular bike). When coming to a stop, or planning a turn, stick with the plan. For example, you're coming to a stop sign and intend to stop (with the wheel straight) then turn right. Suddenly an opening suddenly appears. Try to avoid the instinct to change plans and jump on out there. Stop as you planned, plant your feet, then make your move. Changing plans in mid stream can be problematic, at least until you've gained a feel for this big beauty.
post #11 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 3:07 pm

I guess I am a little mystified about the necessity to "flat foot" the bike?? I am 6' plus a little, I ride with the seat in the high position, because it feels better riding...I can actually just about flat foot the bike at a stop by sliding forward on the seat. However, I rarely do that, because there doesn't seem to be a reason to...for starters, when you stop, you better have the bike balanced already, a little toe action can keep the bike upright, if you reach the point of needing a flat foot to hold the bike up, you are probably on your way over, and at 800lbs, two or three flat feet are not going to hold it up...For me, probably 50% of the time, I don't put my feet down at all. The bike seems to balance so well at slow speed, I just slow down to a crawl, and inch forward till it is time to go, otherwise, it is stop and put a toe down and wait for the opportunity to go.. Flat footing?? that is for light weight bikes you can still hold up while at a 45 degree angle...not this big girl!!
I forgot to congratulate you on getting the best bike ever, and the best kept secret in touring bikes...Your gonna love it!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by casualemt; Oct 30th, 2012 at 3:10 pm. Reason: forgot something
post #12 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 4:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good suggestions and comments. I should add that I've been riding m/c for around 50 years. Yes, longer than some people here have been alive! Actually, I remember riding as a passenger when I was 11 years old. That was in 1949! It must have been a HD or an Indian. I think that was when I fell in love with motorcycles.
I rode m/c as a cop for two departments.
The idea of adding to the sole of my boots will not work as the soles are knobbys. It's actually a walking Postal Approved boot (made in USA). I'm thinking maybe the soles should be smooth (?) See pic.
I pick up the LT on Thursday. And can hardly wait till I do a short-distance break-in. So far the fall weather here in the SJ Bay Area has been perfect for riding.
EL
post #13 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk
If you take it off the center stand, I think that your feet will touch the ground.
Rand, I was referring to the position of my feet when the bike was off the center stand.
post #14 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt
- - - I don't put my feet down at all. The bike seems to balance so well at slow speed, I just slow down to a crawl, and inch forward till it is time to go, otherwise, it is stop and put a toe down and wait for the opportunity to go..
I forgot to congratulate you on getting the best bike ever, and the best kept secret in touring bikes...Your gonna love it!!
Rich, I was told by the seller that the LT does not handle well at slow speed, that 5mph is as slow as you want to be. But I guess I'll have to find out when I start practicing riding it. Thanks for the congrats. I hope I will love it also. Time will tell.
EL
post #15 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Don't know if this will make sense, or even help, but something I tell all new riders (new to riding and new to a particular bike). When coming to a stop, or planning a turn, stick with the plan. For example, you're coming to a stop sign and intend to stop (with the wheel straight) then turn right. Suddenly an opening suddenly appears. Try to avoid the instinct to change plans and jump on out there. Stop as you planned, plant your feet, then make your move. Changing plans in mid stream can be problematic, at least until you've gained a feel for this big beauty.
Thanks for the advice. I'm storing all the advice and recommendations I get here. I'm new, but I can tell this is the place to go for LT expertise.
EL
post #16 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 7:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Welcome! Glad that you found us. I truly believe that you are going to L-O-V-E your new ride!

Remember, keep the front wheel pointed dead ahead when you are coming to a stop!
Tony, I will PM you re: the seat.
Thanks
EL
ps, familiar with Royal Lane in N. Dallas?
post #17 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Eddie,

Welcome to the forum, lurk to your hearts content but ask as many questions as you can think of great folks here to help.

Since you have an aftermarket seat you loose the height adjustment the OEM had. Some folks have added pads to the soles of the boots to get the feet on the ground. Perhaps you could contact the seat maker to see if they can lower the seat.

When you get the bike on the road be sure to stop with the front wheel STRAIGHT, otherwise it will take a nap. Don't slip the clutch when starting, let it out ASAP and then apply power. The engine likes high RPM's so spin it up over 4000 before shifting.

HTH
Gotcha. Seems everyone seems to know about the straight-wheel-when-stopping rule. As for the seat adjustment the consensus is that the Corbin seat is non-adjustable. And I have a ton of questions, but I'll first see if I can find the answers in the archives. If I can't, you'll be hearing more from me.
Thanks for your input
EL
post #18 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45
That's the best color, my 2k is the same, I cannot flat foot it, balls of feet only, watch road surface when coming to a stop.

I'm not quite 70 so gives all of us aging guys not there yet hope, enjoy
My whole family thinks I'm crazy for buying yet another bike. I think they're mad cause I'm spending their inheritance.
post #19 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 8:23 pm

Welcome to the forum! Lots of expertise here.

Based on my vast (1 year) experience with the '99LT:
1. Planning ahead makes a big difference. Planned stops seem to work a lot better than unplanned stops (which usually involve abandoning a previous plan). As a previous poster said- plan the stop and stop per plan.
2. Muscle will not hold her up. Skill and care will. I started riding the LT while recovering from major surgery gone wrong- little or no strength as a result, but I managed.
3. Check out the "Ride Like A Pro" DVD's. Lots of good techniques and tips.
4. Low speeds are not bad. With a little practice you should be easily able to crawl along.
5. Don't drag your feet! I know this is tempting- you think you can still keep everything upright if something goes wrong. All it really does is give you the opportunity to perfect your skills with crutches or a cane as you recover from the twisted or broken ankle. (I learned that one on a 1977 KZ60C1).

Having ridden middleweight street bikes (500/750CC range) since 1973, the LT was a big change, but a worthwhile one. Much more comfortable than my other bikes and more enjoyable than I expected.

Good luck!
post #20 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 9:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_figueroa

1. Planning ahead makes a big difference. Planned stops seem to work a lot better than unplanned stops (which usually involve abandoning a previous plan). As a previous poster said- plan the stop and stop per plan.
2. Muscle will not hold her up. Skill and care will. I started riding the LT while recovering from major surgery gone wrong- little or no strength as a result, but I managed.
4. Low speeds are not bad. With a little practice you should be easily able to crawl along.
5. Don't drag your feet! I know this is tempting- you think you can still keep everything upright if something goes wrong. All it really does is give you the opportunity to perfect your skills with crutches or a cane as you recover from the twisted or broken ankle. (I learned that one on a 1977 KZ60C1).

Having ridden middleweight street bikes (500/750CC range) since 1973, the LT was a big change, but a worthwhile one. Much more comfortable than my other bikes and more enjoyable than I expected.

Good luck!
Thank you Mr. F. for the advice. Hope you're recovering well from your surgery. Where can I get that DVD you speak of? I also was a mid-range driver so this is a huge step up for me.
And thanks for the welcome.
btw, it may be a while, but one of my long-range plans is to motor on down to FL. I have a friend of 51 years living in Haines City I'd like to visit.
EL
post #21 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 9:25 pm

[QUOTE=EddieLo]Rich, I was told by the seller that the LT does not handle well at slow speed, that 5mph is as slow as you want to be. But I guess I'll have to find out when I start practicing riding it. Thanks for the congrats. I hope I will love it also. Time will tell.
EL[/QUOTE

I can creep along at very low speed clutch disengaged in heavy traffic, of course it depends on how the well the old body and gray matter happens to working, it is an incredibly stable bike at any speed, the non power brakes seem to be more forgiving at low speed

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #22 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLo
Tony, I will PM you re: the seat.
Thanks
EL
ps, familiar with Royal Lane in N. Dallas?
I am, indeed, familiar with Royal. Why?

Funny, I saw the pic of your Rocky boots and thought to myself... self... wonder if he is a (former) LEO.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #23 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
I am, indeed, familiar with Royal. Why?

Funny, I saw the pic of your Rocky boots and thought to myself... self... wonder if he is a (former) LEO.
I will PM as I don't want to go off topic with this.
EL
post #24 of 35 Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Quote:
...btw, it may be a while, but one of my long-range plans is to motor on down to FL....
Well you sure do have the right bike for that sort of thing, just don't forget to take the back roads, that's where the best twists are and this thing handles like a sport bike in that sort of thing. Check out this video which was posted by one of the forum members here, I show this to friends at work who think I drive a big old heavy clod, none of those HD guys I work with would even think of trying anything like this. Fortunately just watching gets me enough adrenaline to last so I don't actually need to go out and try it but knowing that the bike can do it reminds me that my only limitation is the rider.

Don't worry about that slow speed thing, I find that my '00 LT is very stable at low speeds, just take some time to practice slow maneuvers and start with wide maneuvers working to smaller and tighter and you will wonder what everyone was talking about with all this low speed instability stuff.
post #25 of 35 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 1:43 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
Well you sure do have the right bike for that sort of thing, just don't forget to take the back roads, that's where the best twists are and this thing handles like a sport bike in that sort of thing. Check out this video which was posted by one of the forum members here, I show this to friends at work who think I drive a big old heavy clod, none of those HD guys I work with would even think of trying anything like this. Fortunately just watching gets me enough adrenaline to last so I don't actually need to go out and try it but knowing that the bike can do it reminds me that my only limitation is the rider.

Don't worry about that slow speed thing, I find that my '00 LT is very stable at low speeds, just take some time to practice slow maneuvers and start with wide maneuvers working to smaller and tighter and you will wonder what everyone was talking about with all this low speed instability stuff.
Holy beemer! Are you kidding me? I wouldn't even try to drive that road at half the speed this guy is going. I don't doubt the LT can do this, but why do it? It's a touring bike, isn't it? Well, that's what I plan to do with it. Tour. Nothing else. I've had my fill of high speed pursuits. Even chased a m/c once. Good thing we were on surface streets because he couldn't achieve high speeds. He did try to loose me by going up on the sidewalk. Bad move, I just stayed parallel with him on the street. His mistake was turning into a dead end street. Funny thing, I was solo and did not see any other officers nor hear any other sirens except mine. It was amazing how many other cruisers suddenly popped up out of nowhere when the perp gave up.
post #26 of 35 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 12:52 pm

Eddie, had I know your experience level, I would not have offered the advise I did. You'll be fine on the LT. In fact you're in for a special treat when you see what she'll do. Quit worrying and just ride it.

"Funny thing, I was solo and did not see any other officers nor hear any other sirens except mine. It was amazing how many other cruisers suddenly popped up out of nowhere when the perp gave up."

Think it's called "tunnel vision". I fired a 357 twice and both times didn't think the gun went off. Didn't feel the recoil nor did I hear it. I remember after the first shot that I had seen the muzzle flash so I knew it worked, and cranked off the second round. Same thing - no sound, no recoil, but did see the flash. Odd huh?
post #27 of 35 Old Oct 31st, 2012, 7:27 pm

On the DVD- I got mine at J&P Cycles in Daytona. They have a web site (ridelikeapro.com) and the DVD is available directly from them. To me, it was well worth the price.

I have fond memories of your area- did a cross-country ride back in the day (on the previously mentioned KZ650) from CT to CA and back, spending three weeks in Sunnyvale. Good times.

Don't hesitate to PM me when you head this way!
post #28 of 35 Old Nov 1st, 2012, 2:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
On the DVD- I got mine at J&P Cycles in Daytona. They have a web site (ridelikeapro.com) and the DVD is available directly from them. To me, it was well worth the price.

I have fond memories of your area- did a cross-country ride back in the day (on the previously mentioned KZ650) from CT to CA and back, spending three weeks in Sunnyvale. Good times.

Don't hesitate to PM me when you head this way!
I will, but you're about 163 N of Haines City. After riding from CA to FL I might not have the strength to motor up to your town. But we'll see.
post #29 of 35 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 2:35 pm

Eddie, just retired myself from the the brotherhood, PM me for the inside CMTO scope.

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #30 of 35 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 2:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebear695
Eddie, just retired myself from the the brotherhood, PM me for the inside CMTO scope.
Congrats on your LE retirement... Welcome to the club!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #31 of 35 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 3:06 pm

Hi there,

I just bought my 2001 about a month ago. Coming from a sportbike/sportouring bikes it does take a little adjustment but I have found the more miles I add on the more I am enjoying it. Let me know if you want to go for a ride sometime would love to get together with another Lt rider.

Aelorn
2001 Bmw K1200 lt
1997 Suzuki RF 900 (totaled by hit and run driver)
1994 Suzuki RF 900 (Totaled by Deer)
1984 Honda Nighthawk S (gone)
1981 Gs (gone)
post #32 of 35 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelorn
Hi there,

I just bought my 2001 about a month ago. Coming from a sportbike/sportouring bikes it does take a little adjustment but I have found the more miles I add on the more I am enjoying it. Let me know if you want to go for a ride sometime would love to get together with another Lt rider.
Hi Aelom. I have a weekend home in Oakley, near Bethel Island. I have a friend in Martinez. Once, I drove from there to Oakley and I was surprised that there was no mountain to climb! I know if I drive from SJ to Martinez there's the Altemont Pass to deal with. But when I went back and drove to my Oakley house the landscape was all flat! So maybe one day I'll give you a heads up and maybe we can meet somewhere.
btw, I also came from a much smaller bike experience. The Yamaha you see in the thread "IT'S HOME! is only a 650. I also have 3 Honda CT90s, 1 CT110, and 1 ST90. All my Hondas are at the Oakley house. For scooting around town the 650 is perfect! Very nimble, loud, and easy on gas.
post #33 of 35 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 5:58 pm

Quote:
Rich, I was told by the seller that the LT does not handle well at slow speed, that 5mph is as slow as you want to be. But I guess I'll have to find out when I start practicing riding it. Thanks for the congrats. I hope I will love it also. Time will tell.
EL
That 5 mph thing is a good idea but you may want to be going a little slower than that when you park it. Other than that little bit of wisdom, congratulations on the "new" LT and welcome to the forum. You will be in good company here.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #34 of 35 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tips727
That 5 mph thing is a good idea but you may want to be going a little slower than that when you park it. Other than that little bit of wisdom, congratulations on the "new" LT and welcome to the forum. You will be in good company here.
Thank you for the welcome Tipps. So far, I love the company!
Eddie
post #35 of 35 Old Nov 7th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Quote:

Good luck!
I'm a n00bie to the LT as well, and I can attest to strength will not hold it up, got 4 broken bones in the foot from it. If it starts over get out of the way.
My accident occurred because the front wheels were not straight when I applied the front brake....boom it was on the ground.

__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in