Looking to trade 2006 Harley Sportster 1200 for BMW 1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Oct 26th, 2012, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

Looking to trade 2006 Harley Sportster 1200 for BMW 1200LT

Hi, I have a beautiful 2006 Harley Davidson Sportster XL1200C with 11,000 miles on it and lots of added chrome, backrest/luggage rack, windshield, Harley engine guard, 2-tone paint scheme, excellent condition. Female owned and always garaged, no rust, no accidents, excellent mechanical condition. Looking for more of a touring bike and really like the LT and would like to know if anyone is looking for a trade. I am in Florida.

Thanks,
Sandy

Last edited by sbcumella; Oct 26th, 2012 at 9:48 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 1:50 am

Re: Looking to trade 2006 Harley Sportster 1200 for BMW 1200LT

Turd for a Rose .... doubtful

Sorry to sound so callus, HD's are fine and generally hold there value well, BMW's are also fine and DON'T hold there value well. Between the read lines is the fact these TWO bikes in spite of cult status of one and stigma of the other are 100% at opposite ends of the buyers spectrum.

Maybe you will get a bite, maybe not ......

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #3 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 1:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Turd for a Rose .... doubtful
What's callous is that you would refer to our beloved LT's as a turd and a sporty to a rose. I would really have thought you'd be more inclined to support our rides.

Oh wait, you meant....never mind.

post #4 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 8:48 am

why not just buy the LT and keep the HD, I did.

Although the HD is getting less and less ride time,

__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #5 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 9:01 am

Have you ridden an LT yet? It is far more powerful, and the comfort is far beyond the Sportster, but along with that it is also much heavier, and does not handle as easily at parking lot speeds. Once moving though, is much better.

We have had some female LT owners here over the years, and a couple of them could hang with just about anyone here, one was a long distance ace, and was loved and respected by all here who knew her. Unfortunately, she passed away with cancer a while back.

It is certainly not out of the realm of enjoyment by anyone, just be sure you have a chance to test ride one before making the big decision. If you do get one, once you get used to it you will likely LOVE it. Be aware that if you ever do lay it down, it is quite a task to get it back up, but ladies have done it before, just takes good leg muscles and just the right technique. Otherwise help will be needed.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 11:05 am Thread Starter

Dave, thanks for the advice. I know it would take some adjustment and getting used to, but I am an experienced rider. My friends have all moved up to Street Glides and go on long trips which I cannot do on my Sportster. Just think it's time to graduate and get a comfy bike. I love the look of the LT. Went to the dealer yesterday and they told me it hasn't been made for 3 years. So sorry to hear that. They showed me a GT which I didn't like as much, besides not looking to spend that much. Think I can get a used LT for much less and be just as happy. I will try it out before I buy. Thanks, again.

Sandy
post #7 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 11:24 am

As someone else posted, the resale on the LT did not hold it's value as much as the Harleys, but only because of the "cult" HD following. That is in your favor, as you can get much more bike for the money. There are usually a few LT's on eBay, and in the classifieds on this site. You can get a nice used LT for far less than the 'Glides, and have way more performance. The comfort will have to be evaluated by yourself, everyone has different ergonomic "fit" requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcumella
Dave, thanks for the advice. I know it would take some adjustment and getting used to, but I am an experienced rider. My friends have all moved up to Street Glides and go on long trips which I cannot do on my Sportster. Just think it's time to graduate and get a comfy bike. I love the look of the LT. Went to the dealer yesterday and they told me it hasn't been made for 3 years. So sorry to hear that. They showed me a GT which I didn't like as much, besides not looking to spend that much. Think I can get a used LT for much less and be just as happy. I will try it out before I buy. Thanks, again.

Sandy

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 1:15 pm

I too kept my Harley to compliment the LT. Be cautioned though that a short test ride on an LT may not give you the feedback you're looking for. It takes time in the saddle to really appreciate all the LT has to offer.
And as far as riding comfort for the Harley, the HD Sundowner seat they offer is the most comfortable seat I've ever ridden on, including the Russel Daylong I have on the LT.
post #9 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 2:37 pm

The LT is BIG and HEAVY. Way top heavy.. There are few women who can handle one because if it gets the tiniest bit out of shape, It's going down...And that part really doesn't get gender specific.. You've got to stop perfect every time.. No room for error...

Having said that.. There have been a good number who have been succesful...Maybe you're one of them.. Get on one at a dealership and make sure you can handle it...

A great compromise would be an RT.. Just as much a BMW and a little smaller and lighter..Much lower CG....

The Lt is THE Long Distance Tourer... Hands down if you're driving more than 100 miles a day it's the bike to be on...
I think in the four years I owned my LT I dropped it three times.. One gravel, Two holes...

I love my RT... It will do the long miles almost as well and the short hops much easier...
I've never come close to dropping my RT..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Last edited by JPSpen; Oct 27th, 2012 at 2:58 pm.
post #10 of 21 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I too kept my Harley to compliment the LT. Be cautioned though that a short test ride on an LT may not give you the feedback you're looking for. It takes time in the saddle to really appreciate all the LT has to offer.
And as far as riding comfort for the Harley, the HD Sundowner seat they offer is the most comfortable seat I've ever ridden on, including the Russel Daylong I have on the LT.
What he said. The LT does take a little getting used too. The size is overwhelming at 1st, but it really grows on you.
post #11 of 21 Old Oct 28th, 2012, 9:11 am Thread Starter

John, thanks for the advice. Going down on that does scare me a bit because I can't imagine what it would take to get it back up. Perhaps I will look into the RT. Definitely want a nice ride, but one I feel capable of handling.

Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
The LT is BIG and HEAVY. Way top heavy.. There are few women who can handle one because if it gets the tiniest bit out of shape, It's going down...And that part really doesn't get gender specific.. You've got to stop perfect every time.. No room for error...

Having said that.. There have been a good number who have been succesful...Maybe you're one of them.. Get on one at a dealership and make sure you can handle it...

A great compromise would be an RT.. Just as much a BMW and a little smaller and lighter..Much lower CG....

The Lt is THE Long Distance Tourer... Hands down if you're driving more than 100 miles a day it's the bike to be on...
I think in the four years I owned my LT I dropped it three times.. One gravel, Two holes...

I love my RT... It will do the long miles almost as well and the short hops much easier...
I've never come close to dropping my RT..

John
post #12 of 21 Old Oct 28th, 2012, 9:15 am Thread Starter

What you said is so true. Everyone has a different "fit" requirement for a bike. I am just getting scared by everyone saying how "top" heavy the LT is and they go down easy. I will evaluate very carefully before buying. Thanks for your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
As someone else posted, the resale on the LT did not hold it's value as much as the Harleys, but only because of the "cult" HD following. That is in your favor, as you can get much more bike for the money. There are usually a few LT's on eBay, and in the classifieds on this site. You can get a nice used LT for far less than the 'Glides, and have way more performance. The comfort will have to be evaluated by yourself, everyone has different ergonomic "fit" requirements.
post #13 of 21 Old Oct 28th, 2012, 9:27 am

Only a test ride will give you the information that you are looking for. And I too was a little apprehensive before my first K1200LT test ride, but it only took about 30 minutes to sell me.

My last bike, before the LT was a HD Sportster. A fun bike around town and limited short trips, but a lot of fun. I sure did love the sound!

Just to confuse the issue, and one way to get a nice test ride would be to take out the new K1600. Most BMW dealers have them in stock and are more than willing to get you on the bike. Similar to the LT, but with a lower center of gravity. Getting a test ride on the LT might be a little harder since they are out of production and riding a used one might be more difficult to arrange.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 21 Old Oct 28th, 2012, 1:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcumella
What you said is so true. Everyone has a different "fit" requirement for a bike. I am just getting scared by everyone saying how "top" heavy the LT is and they go down easy. I will evaluate very carefully before buying. Thanks for your advice.
I am in the minority here for sure (along with Ron, I think), but I think the top heaviness of the LT is way overblown. I moved to the LT from a Kawasaki Voyager and don't see a significant difference. I have 5+ years and 33,000 miles on mine without incident. And I even do the unthinkable such as using the front brake when coming to a stop with the wheel turned!

The LT is a heavy bike to be sure and it does sit higher than say a Wing or Electra Glide, but it isn't that hard to handle if you know how to ride. The assisted brakes will grab hard if you grab them hard. So, the solution is to not grab them hard at slow speeds! Just like power brakes in a car. If you stomp on them like we did in the old days of unboosted car brakes, you will be plastered against the windshield.

The key is to ride the LT the way the LT needs to be ridden and not the way you rode your last bike.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #15 of 21 Old Oct 28th, 2012, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I am in the minority here for sure (along with Ron, I think), but I think the top heaviness of the LT is way overblown. I moved to the LT from a Kawasaki Voyager and don't see a significant difference. I have 5+ years and 33,000 miles on mine without incident. And I even do the unthinkable such as using the front brake when coming to a stop with the wheel turned!

The LT is a heavy bike to be sure and it does sit higher than say a Wing or Electra Glide, but it isn't that hard to handle if you know how to ride. The assisted brakes will grab hard if you grab them hard. So, the solution is to not grab them hard at slow speeds! Just like power brakes in a car. If you stomp on them like we did in the old days of unboosted car brakes, you will be plastered against the windshield.

The key is to ride the LT the way the LT needs to be ridden and not the way you rode your last bike.
+1 I have dropped the LT once in the year I've had it and that was because I was trying to push it up the 5 degree hill on my driveway instead of driving it, I used to drop the R because the weight is so low you sits at a stop hands off bars daydreaming, lean a little too far and no stopping it.
Also there are a bunch of senior males around or over 70 driving them who manage quite well
Try it and see if like it

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #16 of 21 Old Oct 28th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Sandy,
I just went through a similar situation as you - me HD non-tour rider for years, friend with tourers who I wanted to ride with, ... I considered a number of GTour mfrs, but didn't want to hunch/lean forward. Goldwings were too $'s and overkill. Bought an '02 LT in July this year on eBay, 16.5k miles, $7,300. I've put 5k miles on it since then and LOVE IT! I heard the concerns about high CG, weight and low speed turning being a big issue, but I've found being conscious of this has meant that it takes some initial adjustment and can easily be dealt with. I ride the LT around town much more than I thought I would. I kept my HD (for now) as my around town bike, but could easily do it all with the LT.

The RT suggestion is a very good one. I'd do some research for what year(s) of LT & RT your budget allows and at least get on each for a closer look. Ride them if you can (best!).
Your research will teach you a lot about what customizations others have done (and why), plus help you know what to look for. Complete maintenance history is worth a lot.

Best to really have in mind what riding you'll do most. Even if you can keep the Sportster you may not ride it all that much (as I've found). If you can't keep the Sportster, you'll probably do better to sell it verses find a trade.

Hope this helps. Safe riding!

Charlie

Currently riding ...
2013 K1600GTL
2012 K1300S
2006 Triumph Rocket III
2008 Suzuki DR400Z
post #17 of 21 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 9:54 pm

I wouldn't be afraid to try out the LT. I haven't had any problems in low speed situations and I am only 5'9". But if it doesn't work for you give the RT a try. Both are great bikes.

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #18 of 21 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 10:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Keep in mind that if you do not turn your own wrenches, the LT can send you to the poor-house in short order. So if you are close to a dealer and do not mind big bills for routine maintenance, BMW has many good bikes to choose from. I love my LT but there's no way I could afford it if I didn't do most of my own maintenance.

post #19 of 21 Old Oct 29th, 2012, 11:45 pm

I'm the same boat with Voyager. I'm just a few months shy of 75 and about 190 pounds with a 28" inseam at 5'8" I used to be 5'10" but the years compress everything.
I started back riding bikes a little over 6 years ago with a new 2006 Kaw Nomad 1600. Salesman just swore that I couldn't handle the 1600 and tried to sell me the 800 Nomad on the floor. I didn't go for that as my previous two street bikes had been Goldwings.

About a year and 17k after getting that Nomad, I came across a 2002 Goldwing for sale. It only had a little over 9k miles on it and took that. Now it's got over 71k on it. Lots more weight than the Nomad. It was said I probably couldn't handle the Wing by a couple of Concours riders on the way up to Canaan Valley to the Concours rally. I had brand new tires on the Wing and West Virginia changed their mind about how the Wing can handle. Then two years ago last Saturday I happened up on this 1999 KLT for sale down at Matrixx Motors and it had a really low price on it. I test rode it for about 15 minutes and fell in love with it. It only took a short ride to let me know I'd found MY bike. A week later rode down on the Nomad and left that on the floor for sale and took the LT home.

The LT is simply, without a doubt, and with no exception, the finest motorcycle I have ever ridden. Only the Goldwing comes close and the seat on the Wing is probably better and it has more bells and whistles on it to tinker with. But, as far as handling capability, the stopping power, weight distribution and sitting position, I have never sat on anything near to the LT.

The talk of top heavy and hard to maneuver in the parking lot and such... I just don't know. I know there are lot of different folks here on the forum. Lots of different amounts of riding time and lots of different ability. I can handle it in turns and stopping with front or rear brake. I just don't understand how I with these old arthritis hands and feet, overweight and short legged seem to be able to put it where I want it most all the time.

Just my thoughts, yours probably vary

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #20 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 8:58 am

I hope the comments here will inform you and not scare you away. EVERY bike has its personality. These are no exception. I was almost scared away from an LT before I test rode mine. What I am finding out now is , as one has already said it is expensive to maintain if you are unwilling to turn the wrenches. You own a Harley and that is in the same ballpark of repair expense. It did not take me long at all to realize that the way to ride any bike is to pay attention to the bike and learn how the bike responds. Listen to the experience here it is PRICELESS! I am but a newby to the BMW world, 7/1/2012. but these men and women have a lot of time in the saddle.
All this to say, Be your own judge. Listen to your brain not your heart and make the decision that will make you smile for many miles. Good luck
post #21 of 21 Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 9:21 am

Not many BMW folk consider "extra chrome" to be a desired feature. They'd rather be out riding on Saturday, not polishing chrome or parked posing at the local hot dog joint.

And the LT IS a heavy beast. At least in your garage and your driveway. Around town it's not my first choice to hop on and take a short ride, like your Sportster would be. But out on the open highway, there's no better, more comfortable choice than an LT.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in