My best month of riding ever.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 26th, 2012, 10:49 am Thread Starter

My best month of riding ever....

I left WI for 3-4 month interim ministry position in CO, took the long route (2900 miles), and since arriving have ridden another 3000 miles (2 up). Finding the weather and roads incredible, it's been easy to be out of the office most days piling up more miles on the LT (101,200). When I realized the last time I changed tires, brakes it was the beginning of this season, and have ridden nearly 18000 miles! Both are being done this week. Here is why I love riding this bike;
56.4 mpg combined riding highway/mountain roads/commuting
Last time it was tuned up was over 40000 miles ago (plugs, etc)
Only repair during that time was final drive, which didn't leave me stranded, but close!

I guess my question is do others have this kind of life on their tires, or mileage results? They both seem high to me, and according to the maintenance schedule I should have had 3 tune ups! (I will tear it down when I get home to WI in a few months and do that myself)

I've done an Iron Butt, taken some long rides, but I'm still thrilled that we had this month of riding in one of the most amazing places-special thanks to Steve Farson for his book-it's wearing out figuring out our next ride!

Thrilled to be in CO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 26th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Re: My best month of riding ever....

that is great. CO is gorgeous
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 26th, 2012, 8:04 pm

I run the Metz front and the Bridge rear and I got about 19k on my last front and and 18k on the rear. I was only getting about 14k out of rear metz. I did my last plugs and air filter replacement 30k miles ago and also ck'd valves at that time. Will do all this winter. Just had to replace 0/2 sensor as bike this past weekend started to idle bad and exhaust smelled very rich. Fuel mileage on Blue Ridge Parkway ride went down to about 35 per gal. Your very lucky to have the time to ride like that. Co is on my wish list of trips yet.

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 26th, 2012, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

When you get the chance, don't hurry it. You can't do the whole state in a week, and we haven't found a bad riding road yet. New tires on Tuesday next week, temperature is 65 on Wednesday for a long ride
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 26th, 2012, 8:59 pm

I also run the Metzler on the front and the Bridgestone on the back. My last Bridgestone I got 32k on it. That isn't a misprint either. Metzlers on the front get me around 20k. I ride mostly one up and ride fairly conservative. I can't explain it but I liked it.

Marty Blok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 LT
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 4:42 am

John Wesley would be proud. Many safe miles to you!

Regards,

Will
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 27th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebullock
I left WI for 3-4 month interim ministry position in CO, took the long route (2900 miles), and since arriving have ridden another 3000 miles (2 up). Finding the weather and roads incredible, it's been easy to be out of the office most days piling up more miles on the LT (101,200). When I realized the last time I changed tires, brakes it was the beginning of this season, and have ridden nearly 18000 miles! Both are being done this week. Here is why I love riding this bike;
56.4 mpg combined riding highway/mountain roads/commuting
Last time it was tuned up was over 40000 miles ago (plugs, etc)
Only repair during that time was final drive, which didn't leave me stranded, but close!

I guess my question is do others have this kind of life on their tires, or mileage results? They both seem high to me, and according to the maintenance schedule I should have had 3 tune ups! (I will tear it down when I get home to WI in a few months and do that myself)

I've done an Iron Butt, taken some long rides, but I'm still thrilled that we had this month of riding in one of the most amazing places-special thanks to Steve Farson for his book-it's wearing out figuring out our next ride!

Thrilled to be in CO.

Wow, that is some great mileage. I'm usually around 45 mpg on my 09 LT.

I just took a 2300 mile trip pulling a trailer. My average mpg on this trip was 33.74. The day I rode without the trailer I got 43.23 mpg.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in