Brake Line Number Three - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 6:47 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Brake Line Number Three

So I lost my third brake line last night. Number one was the front master cylinder line which developed a pin-hole. Number two was the rear master cylinder line which I admit may have been my fault since I let the side plate hang from it during some maintenance. Number three is the rear flex line between the ABS and the caliper. This is quite irritating since like my FD, the only reason it failed was sloppy assembly from the factory. The banjo fitting where it transitions to the hard line was 90 degrees up from where it should have been. This caused a 90 degree turn and subsequent stress point where the rubber was swagged onto the banjo. To explain it another way, the banjo fitting should have been pointed 45 degrees below level but instead was 45 degrees above level. Twenty thousand dollar plus motorcycle and they can't even bolt the brake lines up correctly! BMW did not get my business for the replacement part.
So if you still have your original lines, you may want to do a quick inspection with the bike on the center stand and see if this line is stressed on yours. It's a very simple fix which can save you a big headache later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 7:41 pm

Re: Brake Line Number Three

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
So I lost my third brake line last night. Number one was the front master cylinder line which developed a pin-hole. Number two was the rear master cylinder line which I admit may have been my fault since I let the side plate hang from it during some maintenance. Number three is the rear flex line between the ABS and the caliper. This is quite irritating since like my FD, the only reason it failed was sloppy assembly from the factory. The banjo fitting where it transitions to the hard line was 90 degrees up from where it should have been. This caused a 90 degree turn and subsequent stress point where the rubber was swagged onto the banjo. To explain it another way, the banjo fitting should have been pointed 45 degrees below level but instead was 45 degrees above level. Twenty thousand dollar plus motorcycle and they can't even bolt the brake lines up correctly! BMW did not get my business for the replacement part.
So if you still have your original lines, you may want to do a quick inspection with the bike on the center stand and see if this line is stressed on yours. It's a very simple fix which can save you a big headache later.
Thanks, Dean. I will go and check mine tonight. I will definitely use Spiegler for my replacements. Glad to see you are back on the road. Would love to visit with you again.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 7:51 pm

After my second line failed I just bit the bullet and bought Spieglers assuming that the remaining lines were on their way out. The BMW lines are nowhere near as quality as the Spieglers, plus the feel from the speiglers are much better.

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 8:25 pm

OK Dean, I checked mine and it looks fine. I was going to say something politically incorrect about the ethnicity of the assembly crew but thought better of it. Maybe a Monday assembly on yours was the problem.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #5 of 10 Old Oct 24th, 2012, 3:03 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Here's a couple of photos of the new line which was custom built to my specs at the local hydraulic shop and tested to 3000 PSI. Note the lack of stress where the rubber exits the banjo collar. I reused the old sleeve and grommets so parts of it look old in the photo. You would have thought the mother-land could have done as well. $33.80 tax included.

Robert, give me a shout anytime you are going to be close by. Next time I'll set aside more time (and beer).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010059.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	623.8 KB
ID:	36907   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010058.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	606.7 KB
ID:	36908  

post #6 of 10 Old Oct 25th, 2012, 11:12 am

I have to ask. What's the wire going to the FD fill plug?

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #7 of 10 Old Oct 25th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by expansionary
would have thought the mother-land could have done as well. $33.80 tax included.

Robert, give me a shout anytime you are going to be close by. Next time I'll set aside more time (and beer).
most likely just used an existing off the shelf part, did not design a new part, not unussual

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 25th, 2012, 5:32 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

The wire going to the fill plug is the power for the chip detector which is what resides in that hole. Here's a link to that thread.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...=final+warning

The replacement brake line was custom fabbed. The company is in Australia and markets their products here to hydraulic shops.

http://www.brakequip.com.au/

The replacement is almost identical to the original part. The only difference is in the top connection where I specified the correct angle for the banjo. It is quite a bit different that the OE part, which is what caused the failure in my opinion. I regret not taking photos of the original when it was still in place.

Last edited by deanwoolsey; Oct 25th, 2012 at 6:05 pm.
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 25th, 2012, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45
most likely just used an existing off the shelf part, did not design a new part, not unussual
BMW averaged about 4K LTs a year, parts like brake lines are most likely off the shelf parts for other vehicles they manufacture and not engineered specifically for the LT

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 25th, 2012, 10:53 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Yes, I didn't quite catch what you meant the first time. I suppose that's possible, especially considering the poor alignment of the banjo fitting and hose on the original. It looked to me like the banjo was actually bent left when it should have been bent to the right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in