In the wind, again! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 20th, 2012, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

In the wind, again!

My second trip down to Walla Walla VA clinic this month. It's approximately 125 miles from here, both trips were in high winds. The first was worst as far as wind speeds as high as 50mph and visibility at times under 1/4 mile but the winds were mostly behind me, with some cross winds. Got fair mileage at 42, but yesterday sucked big time, Winds were only 25-30, but either against me or crosswinds and got a crappy 38 mpg. Worst I've ever gotten. I was getting used to those 50+ mpg trips.
At least there was no rain, while on the bike, and any trip on the bike is a good one. Although some may be a bit better than others, lol.

02 K1200LTE (103K)
01 Honda Valkyrie (49K)
1998 Goldwing Aspencade (58K)
65 Chevelle coupe
USAF, E7 retired
(509-760-6382) if you are in the area and need help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 20th, 2012, 11:54 pm

Re: In the wind, again!

Geez, you live in Moses Lake and tripped down the basin to Walla Walla in Fall... when do the winds NOT blow this time of year?

Did you travel down last week? I had the F650GS down in Oregon last weekend and coming back through Hermiston/Pasco/Othello/Frenchman Hills was brutal.

Took the LT out today (first day since the fires started 6 weeks ago) and the winds were so different on the LT over the GS that I had forgotten how nice it is behind the big girl!

VA clinic? Hope all is well.

2012 K1600GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2012, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_yancey
Geez, you live in Moses Lake and tripped down the basin to Walla Walla in Fall... when do the winds NOT blow this time of year?

Did you travel down last week? I had the F650GS down in Oregon last weekend and coming back through Hermiston/Pasco/Othello/Frenchman Hills was brutal.

Took the LT out today (first day since the fires started 6 weeks ago) and the winds were so different on the LT over the GS that I had forgotten how nice it is behind the big girl!

VA clinic? Hope all is well.

Nothing bad, Dr. didn't like the enzymes from the liver. (Used to drink a lot back in the service, but not since I retired). Go back on the 2nd for some of them lovely but free GI glasses, lol. I've had bi-focals for years, but seldom wear them.
My neighbor and I ride almost all year long as long as there is no snow or ice on the road. You're right about the winds, I've had the beemer out in 70 mph winds, great gas mileage when they're going your way, lol. NOT something I'd recommend, just about had my helmet ripped off and my head along with it.
Frenchman hills can be a bear when it's a blowin, did you take the back way out of Othello? I love that route, always blows me away to come over that last hill with the view of Mardon just jumping up at you.

02 K1200LTE (103K)
01 Honda Valkyrie (49K)
65 Chevelle coupe
USAF, E7 retired

Last edited by olddog1946; Oct 21st, 2012 at 11:42 am.

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2012, 12:23 pm

Spent a year at Walla Walla in 69-70 at the detachment of the 318th Ftr Wg out of Mc Chord AFB. Did a lot of riding in that year. Went threw there a couple years ago and it sure has grown since we left there.
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2012, 10:54 pm

Rode through some nasty winds in northern PA last year, highest gusts over 55mph, coming directly across the roads. One of them pushed me across an entire lane of traffic at 65mph and almost into the ditch - good thing there wasn't a car or truck next to me. My wife wasn't very happy that day. The winds blew pretty much the entire 300 miles that day - and then it rained. Alot. Needless to say that was probably the only day I recall being glad to end the riding once we reached home....

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 12:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog1946
Nothing bad, Dr. didn't like the enzymes from the liver. (Used to drink a lot back in the service, but not since I retired). Go back on the 2nd for some of them lovely but free GI glasses, lol. I've had bi-focals for years, but seldom wear them.
My neighbor and I ride almost all year long as long as there is no snow or ice on the road. You're right about the winds, I've had the beemer out in 70 mph winds, great gas mileage when they're going your way, lol. NOT something I'd recommend, just about had my helmet ripped off and my head along with it.
Frenchman hills can be a bear when it's a blowin, did you take the back way out of Othello? I love that route, always blows me away to come over that last hill with the view of Mardon just jumping up at you.

Yep... McManamon Road to Road H, it was kick!

Glad things are ok... BCG's? Ha! Too funny, those black frames are stylin' in Seattle I hear!

2012 K1600GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 8:29 am

Smile Re: In the wind, again!

Next time you're down in Walla Walla, let me know and maybe we can get together. I live and work here at the airport. The K bike is currently in my warm hangar waiting for some time for me to get to its winter cleaning.
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2012, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetride
Next time you're down in Walla Walla, let me know and maybe we can get together. I live and work here at the airport. The K bike is currently in my warm hangar waiting for some time for me to get to its winter cleaning.
I'll be down there on the 2nd of Nov. to get my eye exam. Not sure what the forecast is for then, so don't know if I'll be on the bike or in the truck.

02 K1200LTE (103K)
01 Honda Valkyrie (49K)
65 Chevelle coupe
USAF, E7 retired
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2012, 1:31 pm

Riding my old R100RS back in the '80s, I rode south down I-25 and experienced lots of side wind.

Now of course there was lots' of "legend" about that fairing and about how it supposedly creates downforce, but I couldn't make myself do it and rode about 55 and was being passed by most cars. Did pass a Gold Wing waiting it out under an underpass.

But, when I got to Raton Pass, all the topography nicely deflected the wind and I sped up to my usual 80 or so. Back out of there to more wide open spaces the wind returned, but I was able to maintain the higher speed with little problem. Obviously my data was imperfect and the wind speeds could have reduced.

Anyway, that's my half-baked theory regarding side winds--go faster.

YMMV and I accept no responsibility.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 24th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Well, keep me in mind. The 2nd of November, I'll be in Maui on vacation. I don't think I can talk the wife out of that vacation in order to stay here and meet up with a fellow BMW rider. I just don't understand her!
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2012, 7:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetride
Well, keep me in mind. The 2nd of November, I'll be in Maui on vacation. I don't think I can talk the wife out of that vacation in order to stay here and meet up with a fellow BMW rider. I just don't understand her!

Shouldn't be a big deal, kinda depends on whether or not you want to keep her around.
Personally, I'd take the trip. Less blood letting involved.
Enjoy !!!!

02 K1200LTE (103K)
01 Honda Valkyrie (49K)
65 Chevelle coupe
USAF, E7 retired
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2012, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
Riding my old R100RS back in the '80s, I rode south down I-25 and experienced lots of side wind.

Now of course there was lots' of "legend" about that fairing and about how it supposedly creates downforce, but I couldn't make myself do it and rode about 55 and was being passed by most cars. Did pass a Gold Wing waiting it out under an underpass.

But, when I got to Raton Pass, all the topography nicely deflected the wind and I sped up to my usual 80 or so. Back out of there to more wide open spaces the wind returned, but I was able to maintain the higher speed with little problem. Obviously my data was imperfect and the wind speeds could have reduced.

Anyway, that's my half-baked theory regarding side winds--go faster.

YMMV and I accept no responsibility.
I'm probably as crazy as you , since I whole heartedly agree with you, Those winds do have more effect on you if you are dawdling. So, keep on truckin.

02 K1200LTE (103K)
01 Honda Valkyrie (49K)
65 Chevelle coupe
USAF, E7 retired

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in