Headset/garmin/bluetooth questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

Headset/garmin/bluetooth questions

I have a 2009 K1200LT with the BMW Nav III. The GPS has a bluetooth function. I am looking for a headset which will do the following:
1. allow me to utalize the bluetooth function
2. allow me to hear the garmin directions
3. allow me to hear the stereo system

BMW has a headset for aproximately $240

Does the BMW headset do the above?
What other suggestions do you have as to headsets.

2 other factors:
1. I don't ride with a passenger so I don't need the intercom function
2. I'm not technosavy so please use everyday termanology

Many thanks in advance!

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 2:06 pm

Re: Headset/garmin/bluetooth questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by will3hawks
I have a 2009 K1200LT with the BMW Nav III. The GPS has a bluetooth function. I am looking for a headset which will do the following:
1. allow me to utalize the bluetooth function
2. allow me to hear the garmin directions
3. allow me to hear the stereo system

BMW has a headset for aproximately $240

Does the BMW headset do the above?
What other suggestions do you have as to headsets.

2 other factors:
1. I don't ride with a passenger so I don't need the intercom function
2. I'm not technosavy so please use everyday termanology

Many thanks in advance!

Will
Look at JM Corp. Elite Bluetooth Headset.

what helmet?

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 3:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You said you wanted to use bluetooth, so I assume that you don't want wires? As far as bluetooth headsets there are now about 4-5 makers that would meet those needs. Go to Webbikeworld.com they have a nice write up on bluetooth headset features and function. I have a Sena and like it, Easy to use.

The BMW stereo on a Lt does not have bluetooth, so then you would need to use wires for that function. If your bike has the comm gear you get the Garmin and the radio with the wired headset.

Another things you might consider, will you ride with someone else or in a group that you would need/want to talk to? If so then you would need to either match make and model of their headset (setup pairing) because there is no ability to make connection between different headset makers.

HTH and ask away for more input.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 8:06 pm

I NEED a left to right stereo balance control for music. there is a significant differance between my ears. Without the balance control I only hear the left channel. If I only hear one channel then I NEED a way to run the stereo as mono.

I bought a tablet with blue tooth to use for music play back and bought an ap to play MP3 files that has a balance control. If I play around with speaker placement enough I can align the rightspeaker with my hearing aide.

But, the blue tooth output from the tablet doesn't have enough gain to the amplifiers in my Sena headset. Once i get up to around 60 mph it's hard to clearly hear the music.

The quality of the music through the headphones compared to LT's speakers leaves a lot to be desired

directions from my garmin blue tooth are loud enough and quite clear through the headset--much better than through the LT's speakers.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 6:18 am

Will,

I've been using an Interphone F2 for several years and I'm very pleased with it. It's linked to my Nav lll and phone (and intercom to her nibs when she's on board). Spoken directions are loud and clear as is the phone function. In fact the phone quality is better than the bluetooth set up in my car and people don't even realise I'm on a bike. And this is at all speeds.

The LT doesn't have bluetooth so without cobbling something up you won't get the music from the LT system to the headset. Some guys have spliced a bluetooth transmitter to the speaker cables to get the desired result. Search these forums. When I wanted music I first used a cheap & cheerful bluetooth transmitter with an equally cheap MP3 player and it worked well. The sound quality of the headset is excellent. Recently I've got a smartphone and I've loaded my music onto it. It works equally well. However I noticed that the music quickly became an irritant and now I don't bother with it. Just enjoy riding the bike. Others have found the same, so in fact it might not be an issue for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in