Elite vs Performance Headset - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Elite vs Performance Headset

I am acquiring a 2008 LT this weekend and I will need to outfit my helmets with a comm headset and from the accessory page I have started looking here. Noticed a bit of money difference between the two systems offered by J & M. What difference might I notice between the two? Would it be worth the $$$ difference? Since I need to do two of these I want to make an informed decision and I know of no better place to get the info I need than here. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 11:52 am

Re: Elite vs Performance Headset

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdcroadking
I am acquiring a 2008 LT this weekend and I will need to outfit my helmets with a comm headset and from the accessory page I have started looking here. Noticed a bit of money difference between the two systems offered by J & M. What difference might I notice between the two? Would it be worth the $$$ difference? Since I need to do two of these I want to make an informed decision and I know of no better place to get the info I need than here. Thanks
The Elite has much thicker beefier speakers giving far superiior sound.

I have their Elite Bluetooth headset in my Shoei RF-1100 . Sound is outstanding!

It also depends on what helmet you have as to what may fit.

If they fit, go with the Elites, no comparison!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 6:33 pm

I have the performance headset in my Shoei X-11. I have no experience with the Elite series, but thought with all the wind noise, the higher quality sound would probably get washed out anyway. I have listened to music through the mp3 player in my GPS. Sounds good enough for where it is. If it was in my living room, I'd probably want the better speakers.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 7:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have the JM HS ICD584 N43 103 HO for sale in the classified. Have 2 complete sets with lower cords. I have to change to bluetooth for my new bike. My helmets are Nolan 103. The sound is fantastic!

2011, R1200RT
2006, R1200GS (located in Ireland)
2006, K1200LT (sold)
1981, Kawasaki CSR 650 (sold)
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
I have the performance headset in my Shoei X-11. I have no experience with the Elite series, but thought with all the wind noise, the higher quality sound would probably get washed out anyway. I have listened to music through the mp3 player in my GPS. Sounds good enough for where it is. If it was in my living room, I'd probably want the better speakers.
Wind noise is not an issue, although I wear excellent ear plugs (Ear-soft Grippers 31 NRR)

Hands down the Elites are worth it. My wife's helmet won't take the Elites (Shoei Multi-tec) not enough room fro the thickness of the Elite Speakers so the Performance Headset is in her flip up.

No you are not in the living room, but may as well began with the best fidelity you can accomplish before any degradation from surrounding noise.

And the system sounds even better with earplugs since the plugs diminsh almost 100% road and wind noise, but allow the speakers to come through loud clear and excellent stereo.

By the way I am a professional musician with 1000 of dollars of extremely high end microphones, mixing boards speakers and amplifiers. I would say that my sound requirements are pickier than most, but do the Elites if they fit your helmet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 12:35 am

I have been using Elite speakers for probably 8-10 years. Fantastic sound and very, very loud. I ride with earplugs and had no problems with hearing the full spectrum of music sound, from squeeky treble to deep bass, with these helmet speakers. Prior to the Elite sets, I used several brands of wired speakers and these did not work well: barely audible at speed with earplugs.

The only problem I had was the Aeromike (sp?) boom: the way I had it mounted, it was being bent every time I flipped the helmet open or shut. It would break every 2-3 seasons and I'd simply buy a replacement. All parts are available from J&M.

A short time ago I sold my LT. The replacement bike has no built-in intercom; I opted to go with a Bluetooth set and gave the J&M parts to the buyer of my bike. He's the lucky guy: my BT set, even though according to the reviews, one of the loudest on the market, is not even close in loudness. It's understandable with the wireless design and all, but I'd gladly exchange running time for volume.

J&M wired set still rules.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #7 of 13 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 8:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
J&M wired set still rules.
J&M may rule but they want over $500 for a CFBR unit which would allow me to receive and make phone calls from my BMW JMCB-2003B system. I can just about purchase a complete new system from another vendor that offers everything for that price. I think I will just pull off to the side of the road if the call is that important. Currently the way I have my HF-820 bluetooth unit connected I can hear the phone ring and it will auto answer, but I cannot reply to the person on the other end.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #8 of 13 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 1:18 pm

JM BT Elite Headset paired with Zumo 665 has way more volume than ever needed!

post #9 of 13 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 2:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your insight. The helmet that I will be putting it into is the Shoei Neotec so I am a bit disappointed that the elite doesnt fit. Rats
post #10 of 13 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

I meant multi-tech by Shoei
post #11 of 13 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 2:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktompkins
I have the JM HS ICD584 N43 103 HO for sale in the classified. Have 2 complete sets with lower cords. I have to change to bluetooth for my new bike. My helmets are Nolan 103. The sound is fantastic!
What blue tooth did you go with? Is it VOX for the intercom?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdcroadking
I meant multi-tech by Shoei
Yoou should double check with JM , the Elite fits in the Neotec and I found some inof that it may it in the Multi-tec but not on the JM site

I would call or emil their Customer Service Dept.

post #13 of 13 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 2:27 pm

We have the Elite headsets in our Nolan 102 helmets with the Baehr intercom. Really like the Baehr/Elite combo. They are even louder than the Baehr headsets.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in