Multitech Discontinued - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Multitech Discontinued

Just found out that the Shoei Multitech has been discontinued. This helmet is by far the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn and while I don't need a new helmet right now I'd like to get another before its too late. Does anyone know of a good source?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 12:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Multitech Discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by giarcg
Just found out that the Shoei Multitech has been discontinued. This helmet is by far the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn and while I don't need a new helmet right now I'd like to get another before its too late. Does anyone know of a good source?
What is your source for this news?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 1:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by giarcg
I tried on the new Neotech early this summer seemed like a great helmet and more comfortable than the HJC symax I have and more comfortable then the Schubert C3 also. I think the Neotech is the "replacement" for the Multitech.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Wink Re: Multitech Discontinued

Yep! It also has a drop down sun visor, which was the one thing that I wished my Multi-Tech had. I will be getting a Neo-Tech when it comes time to replace the Multi-Tech since I have a Shoei head!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
I tried on the new Neotech early this summer seemed like a great helmet and more comfortable than the HJC symax I have and more comfortable then the Schubert C3 also. I think the Neotech is the "replacement" for the Multitech.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #5 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 2:15 pm Thread Starter

Yup, the Neo-tech is the replacement. It has a larger cooling duct at 12 o'clock and I found that it created some pressure points on my head. Otherwise I'd love for it to be my next helmet for the visor alone.

As for the source of my info.... I asked the parts guy at a dealership.
post #6 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Picked up a Nolan N90 couple weeks ago. Fits my head better than Shoei, has the drop down visor and well made IMHO. Fit is better than the 104 for me.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #7 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 3:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Picked up a Nolan N90 couple weeks ago. Fits my head better than Shoei, has the drop down visor and well made IMHO. Fit is better than the 104 for me.
Reid,
Were the sizes equivalent?. I have an XL Multitec that is now 7 years old and was looking for a replacement but I don't want to pay the Neotech prices.
Webbikeworld highly rates the N90.

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #8 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 6:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
I have an XL Multitec that is now 7 years old and was looking for a replacement but I don't want to pay the Neotech prices.
Get another Multitec... I'm seeing prices around $385
post #9 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 6:33 pm

$386.99 with free shipping from Helmet City for the Multitec--couldn't find it any cheaper

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #10 of 20 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Reid,
Were the sizes equivalent?. I have an XL Multitec that is now 7 years old and was looking for a replacement but I don't want to pay the Neotech prices.
Webbikeworld highly rates the N90.
I was between a M and a L with Shoei. L too big, M hurt me! Nolan M is perfect size for my skull. I like the qualilty throughout. I wasn't fond of going modular...always figured that when I wear a helmet it needs to be full face, and that's all I've owned for years; but now I'm kinda liking the modular. I find it "reasonably" (subjective assessment) quiet, but probably not Schubert quiet. $215 with pinlock thru a vendor on Amazon.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

Last edited by Reid; Oct 16th, 2012 at 8:03 pm.
post #11 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 9:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I was between a M and a L with Shoei. L too big, M hurt me! Nolan M is perfect size for my skull. I like the qualilty throughout. I wasn't fond of going modular...always figured that when I wear a helmet it needs to be full face, and that's all I've owned for years; but now I'm kinda liking the modular. I find it "reasonably" (subjective assessment) quiet, but probably not Schubert quiet. $215 with pinlock thru a vendor on Amazon.
Thanks!
N8QZ

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #12 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Yep! It also has a drop down sun visor, which was the one thing that I wished my Multi-Tech had. I will be getting a Neo-Tech when it comes time to replace the Multi-Tech since I have a Shoei head!

John
Multi-tec fits a slightly different head shape then the RF-1000/1100 and is sized differently too.

Don't know how the Neo fits

I can't wear my wife's Multi-tec and she can't wear my RF-1100.

The fact she has way more brains then I do is the most likely culprit!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #13 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 2:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
Multi-tec fits a slightly different head shape then the RF-1000/1100 and is sized differently too.

Don't know how the Neo fits

I can't wear my wife's Multi-tec and she can't wear my RF-1100.

The fact she has way more brains then I do is the most likely culprit!

All the more reason to go somewhere and try them on, wear them in the shop for a while to make sure they fit.

Over a decade of riding, and my new Arai Signet-Q is the first of dozens of helmets I've had that I can say actually FITS me and my "longer than wide/oval" skull. No modulars in that line, unfortunately.

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #14 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 3:00 pm

Exclamation Re: Multitech Discontinued

Quote:
I bought Schubert C3s for my wife and I. I'm not impressed with the "quietness" of it, but I don't have anything else to compare it to. Also, the vents on at least my helmet are freakin' jokes. I cannot distinguish any difference between them being open or closed. The internal sun-visor is pretty cool and handy. Mine fits okay for the most part, but I sometimes feel like the chin strap is choking me, which means the damn thing comes off at that point until I calm down. Also, sometimes it takes either two hands or a really good slam w/ one hand when lowering the front piece to get it to latch/lock. For the money being charged, I find the C3 highly overrated.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #15 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Garage

Just checked the Shoei website and they still list the Multitec as part of their inventory. I had heard that the Neotec is just a premium system helmet, though what source I cannot remember!

I must confess that I too have a "Shoei" head, and for comfort both the Multitec and its predecessor - Raid II fit perfectly. I can wear these things all day, and not really notice that I am wearing a helmet. My wife had a Schuberth, and after a short while - it would hurt her head, her Multitec is much better for fit. However I am not happy with the way it leaks. In rain I get water on the inside, which I did not get with the Raid II. Is this something that system helmets do? The Multitec is the first system helmet I have purchased.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2020 R 1200GSA Ice Grey (Not yet received)
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey (Used in Part Exchange)
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #16 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 9:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth
Just checked the Shoei website and they still list the Multitec as part of their inventory. I had heard that the Neotec is just a premium system helmet, though what source I cannot remember!

I must confess that I too have a "Shoei" head, and for comfort both the Multitec and its predecessor - Raid II fit perfectly. I can wear these things all day, and not really notice that I am wearing a helmet. My wife had a Schuberth, and after a short while - it would hurt her head, her Multitec is much better for fit. However I am not happy with the way it leaks. In rain I get water on the inside, which I did not get with the Raid II. Is this something that system helmets do? The Multitec is the first system helmet I have purchased.
Hmmm, my Multitech has never leaked and I recently road for three hours in driving rain in southern France.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2112.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	36873  

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Oct 17th, 2012 at 9:38 pm.
post #17 of 20 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 10:52 pm

I rode with a Multitec for a couple years and still have it in the garage. Super comfortable and fit me great in a size large. The only issue is the venting which IMO is for all practical purposes nonexistent. I always wished it had an internal sun visor too. When I purchased my GSA earlier this year I figured I'd give the new Neotec a try. I ordered it online from Revzilla in a size large. The fit is great, maybe a little more snug than my old Multitec but that's hard to judge because one is broken in and the other is new.

The Neotec is without question the best helmet I've ever owned. Aside from the typical Shoei quality it has 4 things my Multitec doesn't.

Venting- l mean real venting you can feel
Internal sunvisor- one of the best I've seen and used
Built-in speaker pockets- No hacking into plastic and styrofoam to make room for speakers
Removable liner- Never understood why the Multitec didn't have it

There's nothing really revolutionary about the Neotec. It`s how well executed the upgrades were embodied that makes the premium over the Multitec worth the price.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #18 of 20 Old Oct 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm

Its been my experience that most helmets with the drop down visor also are very noisy.(noisier than non drop down visor models)

1999 K1200LT 33K miles
1999 Concours 107K Km

Doesn't matter what you ride, but ride it, don't spend all your time polishing!
post #19 of 20 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 4:39 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARK
The Neotec ... has 4 things my Multitec doesn't. ...

Built-in speaker pockets- No hacking into plastic and styrofoam to make room for speakers
Before I confirm to everyone that I know nothing (instead of people suspecting it! ) I am referring to the European Multitec! It could be the US version is slightly different.

Both my wife's and my Multitec helmets have speaker holes. It has mean that fitting the intercom speakers a dream.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2020 R 1200GSA Ice Grey (Not yet received)
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey (Used in Part Exchange)
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #20 of 20 Old Oct 19th, 2012, 7:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARK
The Neotec is without question the best helmet I've ever owned. Aside from the typical Shoei quality it has 4 things my Multitec doesn't.

Venting- l mean real venting you can feel
Internal sunvisor- one of the best I've seen and used

There's nothing really revolutionary about the Neotec. It`s how well executed the upgrades were embodied that makes the premium over the Multitec worth the price.
One other item the Neo has over the Multi is that the pinlock shield comes with the helmet. I didn't think I'd care for it, but it works really well.
The Neo, at an XL, fits a bit more snugly around the cheeks than the Multi. You can purchase different sized cheek pads, but they're really costly. Shoei will only trade pads
if you haven't yet worn the helmet. I don't know how you'd find out they're too tight or loose if you don't put the darn thing on.
I also really like the pull down sun visor.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in