Making spare keys difficult? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Making spare keys difficult?

I bought 6 blank key FOBs from ebay (probably china) that were listed to fit K1200LT's. They look like my original key as well. I had a local hardware store cut three of them and, although they fit, they would not turn. Thinking maybe they did not do such a good job, I took the other 3 to a locksmith. When I tried them....the same thing. I understand these do not have a chip in them, so what gives? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Re: Making spare keys difficult?

I had my local key shop match the key to a blank ... some kind of BMW car key ... look different (no black plastic) but they work great ... without the plastic, I double sided taped one to my fob ... voila ... an all in one key/fob ... and it doesn't scratch the fairing while in the ignition

2006 K1200LT - Vianca
2007 HD Ultra
2006 HD Ultra
2004 Honda Goldwing
2001 Honda Goldwing
1996 Honda Goldwing
2000 Honda Aero
???? Honda V65 Magnum
1992 HD Softtail
1976 HD Sportster
1973 HD Sportster
post #3 of 19 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 8:51 pm

I got a blank from the dealer (who was ironically able to sell me the blank but unable to cut it) and took it to the locksmith to cut. It also would not turn in the ignition but worked fine in the bags. I have found that if I jiggle it a little in the ignition it will work.

Anyway, mine was genuine overpriced BMW and not Chinese and still a locksmith was not able to properly cut it so I don't think there is anything wrong with your blanks.

post #4 of 19 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 9:01 pm
Gold Supporter

Similar experience, hardware store BMW car key looked identical, but wouldn't turn.
Went to a real locksmith (he knew it was a Beemer motorcycle by looking at it) and the duplicates worked fine.

Not sure why it's finicky.

Jim H.

Jim H.
K1200LT '00 for Touring, '73 Norton for fun
post #5 of 19 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 11:01 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Probably just need to clean them up with a small file. A good lock smith should have been able to make it work. But you need to have the bike there for him to check. Heck when I bought a small pick up with a topper there was no key for it and the lock smith brought a blank out and a file and made one at the truck.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 Old Oct 13th, 2012, 1:06 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh2020
Similar experience, hardware store BMW car key looked identical, but wouldn't turn.
Went to a real locksmith (he knew it was a Beemer motorcycle by looking at it) and the duplicates worked fine.

Not sure why it's finicky.

Jim H.
These keys are steel so going to a "real locksmith" (as advised by Jim H) is worth the effort. Take your bike there as well (they may need it to verify correct key cut)
post #7 of 19 Old Oct 13th, 2012, 7:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randito
I bought 6 blank key FOBs from ebay (probably china) that were listed to fit K1200LT's. They look like my original key as well. I had a local hardware store cut three of them and, although they fit, they would not turn. Thinking maybe they did not do such a good job, I took the other 3 to a locksmith. When I tried them....the same thing. I understand these do not have a chip in them, so what gives? Thanks
I did the same as you described above with the same results. Never got them to work as of yet. I don't think they are going into the switch quite far enough for the cuts to hit the tumblers properly. I'll bet the shoulders of the new key blanks need to be filed back a few thousenths to allow deeper penetration. (I'll give it a try and see how it goes.)

2002 BMW K1200 LT.....Bought 6/15/2012
post #8 of 19 Old Oct 13th, 2012, 9:16 am

you can "massage" them with a small file, the tumblers wear a bit as well as the original key

had a blank for my K1100 that I "cut" myself with small file

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #9 of 19 Old Oct 13th, 2012, 10:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

I went to a local locksmith and they used a blank for a BMW car. Works great and it's flat and fits in my wallet. It only cost about $3 or $4.

Chuck
1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200
2009 BMW K1200LT
post #10 of 19 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 12:32 pm

As Patrick said, the problem is most likely due to the fact the BMW keys are made of steel, not the brass or (cringe) aluminum of most other keys and blanks.

They told me the steel blanks chew up the cutter wheel much much faster than the brass blanks do, and they cut slower, so your average hardware store kid will spend the usual amount of time to cut the brass key, and probably not cut as deeply as needed.

My BMW dealer sent me to a "real" locksmith to get the blanks cut, while this guy was rarely in his shop to do it, I found another locksmith near me, told him "these are steel blanks, I'm willing to pay more to get them cut", and they worked perfectly (and he didn't take my offered extra money).
post #11 of 19 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHolland
As Patrick said, the problem is most likely due to the fact the BMW keys are made of steel, not the brass or (cringe) aluminum of most other keys and blanks.

They told me the steel blanks chew up the cutter wheel much much faster than the brass blanks do, and they cut slower, so your average hardware store kid will spend the usual amount of time to cut the brass key, and probably not cut as deeply as needed.

My BMW dealer sent me to a "real" locksmith to get the blanks cut, while this guy was rarely in his shop to do it, I found another locksmith near me, told him "these are steel blanks, I'm willing to pay more to get them cut", and they worked perfectly (and he didn't take my offered extra money).
My Chinese blanks are made of brass. The Chinese blanks are "aproximately" .010-.020 too short and that is why I think the shoulders need cutting back. (Still have'nt got around to trying it yet though.) While I'm thinking about it maybe I go do a little fileing right now. Oops! just remembered I'm taking wife to movie and will have to try a little later.

post #12 of 19 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 2:06 am

Having a senior moment & can't remember where I bought it, but my spare key is marked
ILCO X144 BMW3. It is a large flat key...had it cut by a locksmith & it works fine. However it does not have the special black rubber imported from Bavaria for a mere $8 extra. I could not believe my dealer charged me $11 for a blank
post #13 of 19 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 8:39 am

Last night I gave it a try of setting back the keys' depth to no avail. Guess I won't be using the Chinese blanks!

post #14 of 19 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 10:54 am

I live in a small town in NW Alabama. I had a spare key made by a small town locksmith and it works great. (About $4.00). Locksmith said that a BMW car key blank will work fine. Nice to have a spare if ever needed.
post #15 of 19 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 2:22 pm

Use a vernier caliper to measure the tumbler locations and depth of the key blank cuts & you can probably figure out just what direction to modify your newly cut keys to make them work. Things have to be within a few thousands on depth for a key to work.
post #16 of 19 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon
Having a senior moment & can't remember where I bought it, but my spare key is marked
ILCO X144 BMW3. It is a large flat key...had it cut by a locksmith & it works fine. However it does not have the special black rubber imported from Bavaria for a mere $8 extra. I could not believe my dealer charged me $11 for a blank
Thanks for the tip about the ILCO key blank. I ordered one off eBad yesterday for $4.75 delivered. Don't really need one but if it works I'll now have 3 keys. Found my missing FOB and key after missing for a month. Had to wire around the security system to make it work and have just left it that way. Maybe one key to hide!!

post #17 of 19 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHolly
Thanks for the tip about the ILCO key blank. I ordered one off eBad yesterday for $4.75 delivered. Don't really need one but if it works I'll now have 3 keys. Found my missing FOB and key after missing for a month. Had to wire around the security system to make it work and have just left it that way. Maybe one key to hide!!
May I ask where you found it?

Robert <G>

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 19 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I think your local Ace Hardware store will have the proper blanks in stock, but they will be made of brass. They are kept in the drawers below the "normal" keys, under the key machine.

post #19 of 19 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
May I ask where you found it?

Robert <G>
Go to ebay and type in the posting item number: 370581325596

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in