Battery or starter problem? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 7:36 am Thread Starter

Battery or starter problem?

I have been having problems starting my K12. After spending a lot of cash replacing 2 radiators I was told my battery was dead also. It was fine for the first couple of days then after a break for about 4 days I went to go for a ride and low and behold - flat battery. I put it down to possibly leaving the parking light on with the key in the wrong position, but after jump starting it and a ride of 3 hours I found that it still wouldn't start from the button. I took the battery back to the garage and they tested it put it on charge and said after 2 days it was slowly discharging at 10.54 volts. I was under the impression that a new battery ought to be pushing out 12v? Anyway I've been reading other posts and some issues over starter relays I may now have a further problem when I put the (second eventually replaced by the garage) new battery on today, or whether something on my bike may have caused damage to the battery and if that's the case I will probably be in the same position in a week or so.

I can do mechanics ok, but the electrics/ electronics and I am not certain when or how to read volts/ amps etc and what it means.

Any advice for battery voltage? Any for possible starter relay damage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 9:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Battery or starter problem?

So before you go chasing anything else ( Kiss) keep it simple sam, get a good battery in the bike first. Voltage should be 12.-13V never 10.5V

Sounds like the relay is Ok right now since if it had failed the starter would stay engaged, and seems like that didn't happen.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 5 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 11:15 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatto
...I was told my battery was dead also. It was fine for the first couple of days then after a break for about 4 days I went to go for a ride and low and behold - flat battery. ...I took the battery back to the garage and they tested it put it on charge and said after 2 days it was slowly discharging at 10.54 volts. I was under the impression that a new battery ought to be pushing out 12v?
Your battery probably has a 'dead' cell.

A 12V battery has (6) cells of about 2.1V each, for a total of 12.6V. If one cell is dead, you will measure (12.6 - 2.1) or 10.5V.

post #4 of 5 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Sounds like a bad battery. Also, check the positive/negative battery connections at both ends. Bad connections will affect charging. When the bike is running it the alternator providing the correct output?
post #5 of 5 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 8:03 am

The proper voltage for a fully charged battery is 12.8 volts. Technically when a battery falls below 12 volts it is discharged. At 10 volts it is dead. When charging the alternator should put out about 13.8 to 14.8 volts. Final charge voltage also depends on the battery type as a flooded lead acid and AGM, Gel cells all use slightly different voltages. Look in the Hall of Wisdom for that information.

Phil Konzak

1972 Honda SL 125 (1 st bike)(rest in peace)
1974 Honda CB350 F1 (smoothness personified)
1973 Honda CB350 twin (unsafe at any speed)
1971 Kawasaki H-1A 500 (wheelie King)
1975 Honda GL1000 (4 into 1 header, Vetter fairing)
1981 KTM 420 Enduro (fast and smooth)
1979 Yamaha 750 Special (suprisingly fast)
1981 Honda GL1100 Interstate (rough rider)
2000 K1200LT ICon (gone but not forgotten)

2003 K1200LTE Silver Lightning 131,637 miles 07/01/13

Gear Up Every Time You Ride !
The Skin You Save Will Be Your Own !

I'm sorry but the laws of physics prevent me from going any faster than the vehicle directly in front of me !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in