Rear Tire Adjustment - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 2:53 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
deanwoolsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Topeka, KS, USA
Posts: 3,105
Rear Tire Adjustment

Is it possible/permissable to adjust the rear wheel laterally using the swing arm assembly mounting points? Mine has always appeared slightly to the right of center which I suspect may be just in the tupperware mounting. The bike rides fine and the tire wear is normal. Just curious.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deanwoolsey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 9:19 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
johnbaker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chelmsford, Ma, USA
Posts: 1,595
Re: Rear Tire Adjustment

IIRC there has been some discussion about shims in the rear wheel, but I think that was related to tire clearance.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
johnbaker15 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 10:01 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas City, KS, USA
Posts: 217
Re: Rear Tire Adjustment

Haven't thought of this before since we don't have chains to mess with, but for best handling and tire life the rear wheel should be in line with the front both in terms of transverse position and longitudinal pointing. I have never checked that on the BMW's always assuming it was correct. It may well be adjustable using the swingarm pivots, and there is also a shim between the wheel and the hub. I guess that shim is there for other reasons though?

But the general idea should be to have the wheels aligned with each other, not necessarily with the bodywork. Will make it my weekend project to go check the wheel alignment.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
andres is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 11:07 am
Senior Member
 
JimH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: west coast of , MI,
Posts: 256
Garage
Re: Rear Tire Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
...appeared slightly to the right of center which I suspect may be just in the tupperware mounting.
With the bike on center stand you can check for offset with a long piece of string.

Run a long string (2 strings will also work) just below the running gear from front to rear, around the rear tire and back to the front. If you don't have a helper, tie the front of the string to two chairs, etc. to hold the ends.

Move the ends of the string horizontally until that string just touches the rear tire sidewall in two places. You may have to adjust the height from the ground to be sure that it can touch the sidewall. When this is done, the two strings are parallel to the rear tire.

Adjust the handlebars to equalize the distance between the string on one side to the front tire's sidewall. Now that you have two strings parallel to the rear tire, any offset between front and rear will be visible as a larger gap on one side.

If the gaps to the front tire's sidewalls are equal and parallel, the front and rear are running with no offset!
JimH is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 12:08 pm
Senior Member
 
Scouter-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,286
Re: Rear Tire Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
With the bike on center stand you can check for offset with a long piece of string.

Run a long string (2 strings will also work) just below the running gear from front to rear, around the rear tire and back to the front. If you don't have a helper, tie the front of the string to two chairs, etc. to hold the ends.

Move the ends of the string horizontally until that string just touches the rear tire sidewall in two places. You may have to adjust the height from the ground to be sure that it can touch the sidewall. When this is done, the two strings are parallel to the rear tire.

Adjust the handlebars to equalize the distance between the string on one side to the front tire's sidewall. Now that you have two strings parallel to the rear tire, any offset between front and rear will be visible as a larger gap on one side.

If the gaps to the front tire's sidewalls are equal and parallel, the front and rear are running with no offset!
Another cheap straight edge is 1"+ EMT conduit on top of 4x4s or 4x6s. I used to use it for aligning sidecar rigs.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)


2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scouter-50 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 1:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,300
Re: Rear Tire Adjustment

No real adjustment in the swingarm as the pivot bearing retainer on the right side is bottomed out and torqued to 160 Nm. Then the preload is set with the retainer on the left side. In the manual there is a procedure for measuring the offset of the front wheel and failing this measurement they send you to a check of the telelever for damage. Also no adjustment there just replacement if damaged.

I suppose shimming the rear wheel will give you movement to the left but no way to move it right.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 2:56 pm
Senior Member
 
JimH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: west coast of , MI,
Posts: 256
Garage
Re: Rear Tire Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
Another cheap straight edge is 1"+ EMT conduit on top of 4x4s or 4x6s. I used to use it for aligning sidecar rigs.Robert
Ah, the endless ingenuity of the human mind!

I might add a suggestion that you give a quick sight down the pipe and use the Calibrated Eyeball Method to check for any bends before using this method.
JimH is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 3:28 pm
Senior Member
 
Scouter-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,286
Re: Rear Tire Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH
Ah, the endless ingenuity of the human mind!

I might add a suggestion that you give a quick sight down the pipe and use the Calibrated Eyeball Method to check for any bends before using this method.
Rolling the tube on a concrete floor will also give you a good indication of straightness.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)


2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scouter-50 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 4:09 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Posts: 191
Re: Rear Tire Adjustment

8ft flouresent tubes work well also.
1dbweldor is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 6:43 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Re: Rear Tire Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres
Haven't thought of this before since we don't have chains to mess with, but for best handling and tire life the rear wheel should be in line with the front both in terms of transverse position and longitudinal pointing. I have never checked that on the BMW's always assuming it was correct. It may well be adjustable using the swingarm pivots, and there is also a shim between the wheel and the hub. I guess that shim is there for other reasons though?

But the general idea should be to have the wheels aligned with each other, not necessarily with the bodywork. Will make it my weekend project to go check the wheel alignment.
My thoughts too. Shop manual calls for a track offset permissible at .20" negative offset to the right to a .55" positive offset to the left, when measuring the circumference centerline relation of front wheel rim to rear wheel rim. What to do if the left side of the rear tire lines up perfectly with the left side of the front tire, butt the right side's offset measures more than .20"?? Shim needed?? My head hurts!!
Dick is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 8:13 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter
 
deanwoolsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Topeka, KS, USA
Posts: 3,105
Re: Rear Tire Adjustment

Here's a real quick way to check any vehicle for a bent frame: Find a nice flat concrete driveway and wet the first half with water. Drive in a straight line through the water onto the dry section and then inspect your tire marks. Any serious issues will be very obvious. Now that Humpty Dumpty is back together again, I hope to be doing just that tomorrow.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deanwoolsey is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Me 880 rear tire clayton Tires 23 Aug 29th, 2014 10:58 pm
Help needed - Friend stranded near Havasu City with bad rear tire frankf K1600GT/GTL 0 Aug 20th, 2012 12:31 pm
Tire noise, rear drive oil, aux inputs, etc Sidesaddle K1200LT 11 Nov 20th, 2008 10:22 pm
Mounting and demounting rear tire on GT sanjaun2 K1200/1300GT (The Next Generation) 6 Jun 8th, 2007 4:51 pm
Tire changing my way CharlieVT Bike Talk 7 Apr 11th, 2007 12:25 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome