Wind Wings? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Wind Wings?

New to LT's ...those small wind wings ? between the mirrors & the windshield. I believe they are OEM? What happens if they are removed?...I assume it affects the 'aero' of the fairing / windshield combo? But in what way?

I just don't care for the look, And since I have the side panels off, thought I might try it without them? Since I've only ridden a test ride for about a block,...would I even 'notice' anything? When I get it back together, & really ride it?

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 12:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Wind Wings?

They just give you the ability to adjust the air flow you receive in the saddle. Folded in you get more air (summer) folded out they block a significat amount of air (winter). Should not affect anything if you remove them you just loose the ability to block air flow.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 12:25 pm

I find I get much more head turbulence and noise when they are "open".

2000 K1200LT - 94,000 mi. (49,000 mine since July 4th weekend, 2009)
BMW MOA 151654

post #4 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 1:27 pm

Hi, Ron. I'm cornfuzed a bit regarding the items you mention. The ones below the mirrors that are adjustable - or above the mirrors next to the windshield? At any rate, they are each removable, however, the ones attached to the dash slot are more involved in removing or replacing. Good luck, whichever way you go.
post #5 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Ron. I'm cornfuzed a bit regarding the items you mention. The ones below the mirrors that are adjustable - or above the mirrors next to the windshield? At any rate, they are each removable, however, the ones attached to the dash slot are more involved in removing or replacing. Good luck, whichever way you go.

Dick,

I'm talking about the 'fixed' ones nearer the windshield. I have the M/C apart now , [correcting some years of neglect] so might leave them off, and see how it feels. No offence to anyone, but I just think they look ...odd? The adjustable ones ?..yeah I'll leave them on.

Ron
post #6 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 3:22 pm

If you are referring to the wings on each side of the windshield, I pulled my windshield and upper dash at the beginning of the summer and removed the wings. The further up you adjust the windshield, the more airflow to your hands. There is a considerable increase in airflow to your torso. It was an attempt to be cooler in the steamy sand hills of North Carolina. I did find it to be a cooler ride and I think I will remove them again next summer. Always bring your rain gear, because you lose a lot of protection.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Either one of the wings discussed here can be removed and not used if you want. There will be no effect on the bike, however you may want to think about it with winter in Ohio just around the corner, removing either will reduce your wind protection.

On my bike POS (previous owner stupidity) siliconed them in place and now they are permanently affixed in place I have been half looking for a replacement instrument cover and slipstream deflector (that's what BMW parts fiche calls them, part 2 below).

I keep thinking that there would be a way to modify something so that they could be installed and removed without having to remove the instrument cover, then it would be easy to change from summer to winter riding (especially fall and spring rides in AZ when it's hot in lowlands and cold in the mountains where the fun riding is).
post #8 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
Either one of the wings discussed here can be removed and not used if you want. There will be no effect on the bike, however you may want to think about it with winter in Ohio just around the corner, removing either will reduce your wind protection.

On my bike POS (previous owner stupidity) siliconed them in place and now they are permanently affixed in place I have been half looking for a replacement instrument cover and slipstream deflector (that's what BMW parts fiche calls them, part 2 below).

I keep thinking that there would be a way to modify something so that they could be installed and removed without having to remove the instrument cover, then it would be easy to change from summer to winter riding (especially fall and spring rides in AZ when it's hot in lowlands and cold in the mountains where the fun riding is).

I was thinking the same thing. I was going to drill two holes in each deflector and put spring loaded pins through them to secure them to the dash. Possibly the best "Ghetto Mod" ever. Removing them made the summer months bearable in riding gear.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #9 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour

Thanks for the illustration . To be honest, due mostly to arthritis I really do very little cold weather riding any more. Maybe it's just me but, when you're retired & the temp is 30 or ? ..and ya don't have to go out... generally ya don't .

And my thoughts [are] warmer weather. I have a roadster, which is great in warmer temps, but want to enjoy my LT as much as i can as well.

Ron
post #10 of 25 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 6:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkriner
I was thinking the same thing. I was going to drill two holes in each deflector and put spring loaded pins through them to secure them to the dash. Possibly the best "Ghetto Mod" ever. Removing them made the summer months bearable in riding gear.
This is more or less what I was thinking. They say great minds think alike, if the opposite is also true I have bad news for you...
post #11 of 25 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 1:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkriner
If you do this mod, please take pics and post.
I too know about hot and humid here at the Gulf coast.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #12 of 25 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron02LT
Since I've only ridden a test ride for about a block,...would I even 'notice' anything? When I get it back together, & really ride it?

Ron
Uhhmmm Ron, being a smartass comes natural to me, so let me ask you this without sounding disrespectful,

you admit you're new to the bike, why do you feel you have to change it?

Why don't you ride it and get accustomed to this superbly engineered machine before you start screwing with the aerodynamics of it?

You see the thing about BMW motorcycles is that at first some of the idiosyncrasies might not make any sense to you,
but if you give it a chance,
you'll learn that everything on that bike was done for a reason and .........it works!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #13 of 25 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 4:53 pm

You will notice a big difference in airflow, you don't ride in cold weather so it shouldn't affect you to much, I ride with summer gloves year round and my hands stay pretty good with them on, don't forget the hidden screw behind the dash light.

2015 R1200Rt- Ebony
2005 K1200Lt- Dark Graphite
1978 KZ1000 Ltd- Black
St Clair Shores, Mi
BMWMOA # 185482

post #14 of 25 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Uhhmmm Ron, being a smartass comes natural to me, so let me ask you this without sounding disrespectful,

you admit you're new to the bike, why do you feel you have to change it?

Why don't you ride it and get accustomed to this superbly engineered machine before you start screwing with the aerodynamics of it?

You see the thing about BMW motorcycles is that at first some of the idiosyncrasies might not make any sense to you,
but if you give it a chance,
you'll learn that everything on that bike was done for a reason and .........it works!

Because i do not like the way they look ...period. And BTW..no offence taken..

I can always put them back on.
post #15 of 25 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Just a thought in keeping with another post; I just did 2000 mile trip to ride the dragon. I have lower back problems (L5 degenerative disc) as well as problems with the upper back (left side) which likes to spasm when I ride. The upper back spasm's happen whenever I use my left arm and I simply gut it out. Long story short, my lower back never gave me 1 minute of trouble, I did not find extremities going numb and my conclusion was that the Krauts have the ergo's pretty well nailed on this bike. As a rule, they put a lot of thought in their engineering and everything's there for a reason. I can tell you that the entire bike with all their fitments was developed in a windtunnel where they can duplicate autobahn conditions to check their stability at high speed. The wind wings DO block air but they are part of a total aerodynamic whole. All that having been said, If you hate the way they look, do experiment and let us know your results-(you may find a vast improvement in the way the bike works for you). I must confess that I hate BMW seats and am planning to replace mine.

Regards,

Will
post #16 of 25 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Oh I may indeed end-up putting them back on, I just hate the look. But!...that said, if I ride it that way, having never known the other way, and like it?, or have no complaints..then they'll stay off. I'm not arguing the engineering, [not qualified to]. I just thought I'd ask those more experienced with the motorcycle overall...

And yes I will post my conclusion about them, and also yes...if I [do] experiment and like it better with them...I'll gladly post that as well.....I'm not one that needs to be right.....I luv learnin'

Ron
post #17 of 25 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 7:27 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Those are there to help re-attach the airflow to the back side of the windshield reducing turbulance around the dash area and behind. Never had 'em off but I am interested in how the air flow changes with them off. I never gave them a second look.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Last edited by jzeiler; Oct 12th, 2012 at 7:28 pm. Reason: can't speell
post #18 of 25 Old Oct 13th, 2012, 8:55 am

Quote:
.....I'm not one that needs to be right.....I luv learnin'

Ron
well that's "rather" refreshing we get a lot of guys that think they are much smarter than the engineers that designed these bikes,
not saying there's no room for improvement (like the HID headlight upgrade) the bike is just really good at what is supposed to do.

Just a thought for you the windshield is another upgrade some like to make,
I have a Cee Bailey that I'm happy with, which has a little "up sweep" near the top of it'
they also make it with what I think they call side wings,
which is basically an extra wide windshield that covers the area where the "winglets" are located,
I've heard (here) that it improves passenger turbulence.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #19 of 25 Old Oct 13th, 2012, 9:49 am Thread Starter

Quote:
well that's "rather" refreshing we get a lot of guys that think they are much smarter than the engineers that designed these bikes,
not saying there's no room for improvement (like the HID headlight upgrade) the bike is just really good at what is supposed to do.

Just a thought for you the windshield is another upgrade some like to make,
I have a Cee Bailey that I'm happy with, which has a little "up sweep" near the top of it'
they also make it with what I think they call side wings,
which is basically an extra wide windshield that covers the area where the "winglets" are located,
I've heard (here) that it improves passenger turbulence.

Well, for windshield, mine has a Ztechnik Vstrom?...big ol' wide thing. so that's going to be cut down, it's some 27"...high...going to cut it too approx 23.and narrow it a bit, approx 1-1/2" each side. Again, my Roadster that has a stock touring shield, is perfect for me. Now I know, that [in-a-way] that's apples to oranges comparing, as the overall motorcycle shape, makes a difference in aero But it's a starting place that resembles what I like. I can always put back on, what I take off, and too me that dog-gone windshield is so ugly , if I cut it down, and it doesn't work well?...I don't care. I'll shop for something somewhere in between.
post #20 of 25 Old Oct 13th, 2012, 3:26 pm
cwo

I like to remove the wings in the summer months but they really help during the colder months.

I removed the original screws, and put a small screw on the windshield side that gives you access to the screw...... just have to raise the windshield to the high position.

When it's really hot.... put em back on, because without them it's like having a hair dryer blowin on you.

Chris

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #21 of 25 Old Oct 13th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Well, for windshield, mine has a Ztechnik Vstrom?...big ol' wide thing.
the Ztechnic is a desirable windshield,
I bet if you asked somebody here would be happy to trade you a smaller stock windshield.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #22 of 25 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 8:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
the Ztechnic is a desirable windshield,
I bet if you asked somebody here would be happy to trade you a smaller stock windshield.

Is that a hint Silver Buffalo?
post #23 of 25 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Nope just a suggestion, I'm happy with the windshield I've got.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #24 of 25 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 7:38 pm

I might be interested... PM me if you want to trade.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #25 of 25 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 11:39 pm

Quote:
Well, for windshield, mine has a Ztechnik Vstrom?...big ol' wide thing. so that's going to be cut down, it's some 27"...high...going to cut it too approx 23.and narrow it a bit, approx 1-1/2" each side. Again, my Roadster that has a stock touring shield, is perfect for me. Now I know, that [in-a-way] that's apples to oranges comparing, as the overall motorcycle shape, makes a difference in aero But it's a starting place that resembles what I like. I can always put back on, what I take off, and too me that dog-gone windshield is so ugly , if I cut it down, and it doesn't work well?...I don't care. I'll shop for something somewhere in between.

Ron,

I have an extra OEM windshield for sale for $50 plus S/H.

You could cut this one down all you want.

PM me if interested.

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in