Question on fuel line Quick Disconnects - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Question on fuel line Quick Disconnects

In the process of removing the fuel tank on my 02 LT. The manual shows fuel hoses with clamps near the fuel pump. My bike has what appears to be quick disconnects.
I've done a search on the forum and came up with part numbers for both male and female fitting ends, and the O-Rings (which I plan to replace). Should I just go ahead and replace the QD connectors at the same time? Do they get brittle with age? Or should I just disconnect them, replace the O-rings, and go about my merry way?

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 6:45 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

My new to me 2001 GS quick disconnect broke on my first attempt to disconnect them.

You can replace them, buy a spare or opt for the metal ones (I posted about in a separate thread).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Better QDs...

This was originally posted by our own Grif...

A discerning gentleman of great renown and keen wit. Also, a guy who clearly knows his Quick Disconnects!

From www.mscdirect.com . Item #8808445 (2 each) and #88080486 (2 each). Be warned, they aren't cheap.

While you're at it, go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and get you #9452K19. Industry standare -011 Size Bun-N. They are the o-rings that go on the quick disconnects. Package of 100 for $2.47.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 29th, 2006, 8:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend

From www.mscdirect.com . Item #8808445 (2 each) and #88080486 (2 each). Be warned, they aren't cheap.

While you're at it, go to http://www.mcmaster.com/ and get you #9452K19. Industry standare -011 Size Bun-N. They are the o-rings that go on the quick disconnects. Package of 100 for $2.47.
Okay, took awhile, but I figured out the first part number is actually 88080445. I also thought I read that the fuel lines on the LT were 3/8" ID, not 5/16". With fuel pressure specs around 50psi, I don't want to take any chances.
I think I'm going to call the local dealer (yes, local!) and see if they have the stock parts in stock. I'll order the brass units for backup and/or later installation (hey, I love taking off Tupperware now!)
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 1st, 2006, 2:25 pm

All check out the Jiffy-tite web site. We are the manufacture of aluminum quick connect fittings used in many different applications. We are used in motorsports, motorcycles, boats as well as on military vechiles. If you have any questions fell free to email us. Ask for the motorsports department and I will be happy to offer help.

Duane LaFleur
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 7:31 am

O-Ring material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Just an FYI on the cautious side.

if you live in area like I do where ALL of the mid and premium grade gas contains Ethanol you may want to consider looking into Viton O-rings. Per the Parker seal compatibility hand book Buna-N is not recommended for Ethanol use.

NOTE: I don't know if the 10% ethanol is a large enough percentage to have any effect on the Buna-N. I also do not know if the ethanol will cause the seal to fail or just soften and swell. I seriously doubt this is a large concern since no one to my knowledge has reported a failure.

Has any one noticed the Buna-N seals swelling or getting soft after being in service for awhile?

Just me being curious & cautious.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Roy you are correct, all our connectors come standard with a Viton seal. We only use the Buna for alcohol applications.

Duane
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 4th, 2006, 2:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaneL
All check out the Jiffy-tite web site. We are the manufacture of aluminum quick connect fittings used in many different applications. We are used in motorsports, motorcycles, boats as well as on military vechiles. If you have any questions fell free to email us. Ask for the motorsports department and I will be happy to offer help.

Duane LaFleur
It looks like your #21505 and #22505 are the ones needed for the LT, hose barbs for 5/16" I.D. hose. Correct?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in