LT alarm revisited and why I'm buying a Goldwing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

LT alarm revisited and why I'm buying a Goldwing

Today settled the "next bike" arguement in my mind.

Owned my 2006 for exactly 12 months today, and am in love with the features, perfomance and handling.

When I got the bike, ther was no alarm fob, or alarm code card in the owners manual.

Took 12 months of asking in order to get my dealer to come up with what he thinks is the alarm code. Finally had to ask for the contact name in Germany so I could send a friend to get the information in order for the shop to have adequete impetus to come up with this information.

Took the bike by the shop this morning for a quick in and out to get thenew alarm fob sync'd to the bike. 3 technicians, several hours and a great deal of printed www site instruction reading later, still no joy. This big grey turd may leave me stranded at any time with no resolution other than a tow truck ride home.

So I've decided either Honda or Harley will be the next ride.
Reason; Shops on every corner, with knowledgable techs and ready parts supply and support. Any one can wrench a harley because everyone does. Honda just seems from my decades long experience to be the ne plus ultra in comfort and reliability.
Thought I'd give the Bavarians a try, wish I hadn't wasted the cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 7:10 pm

Re: LT alarm revisited and why I'm buying a Goldwing

Even if your dealer is not the most knowledgeable you will find all the info you need on this site.
My LT does not visit the dealer unless there is a recall or warranty work to be performed, other wise I do all the wrenching.
If you decide to go with Harley or Honda I wish you the best as you need to love what you ride.
You will discover that all machines have their "personalities" that need to be overcome.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 7:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

A double pole double throw switch, some wire and you have an on demand alarm bypass that will not leave you stranded. Enjoy the Goldwing I am sure it has no problems at all. In fact you can even lay it on its side to change the rear wheel without having to spend an hour removing body parts. But be ready for that air filter change at the dealer as it is buried deeper than the LTs is.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 7:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Must be something else besides the Alarm bothering you. You have had it for a year with no problems and only last month asked this forum for help. The help you got gave a couple options to follow, sounds like you didn't follow through on that advise.

So what is the real problem?

Good luck on your next bike.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 8:22 pm

My point of view is that if you like to ride, the most important thing is to have something you like to ride.

Enjoy whatever you get.

I ride with an eclectic group of people, trikes to 450cc sport bike, HDs and Goldwings. The Goldwing people tell me they have a similar problem to the LT's in having to remove lots of Tupperware. The HD people shoe me that there aren't any oil leaks. Some engines have run past 100K and not needed any repairs, may be due to the 6 speed tranies? One problem all of the owners complain about is how much they have to pay HD techs and they complain about what HD charges to reset their computers when they start up grading the engine so that it runs at it's full potential.

Fortunately, now HD dealers want to sell bikes.

I'm riding an LT because when I went in to buy another HD around 1999 the dealers didn't have anything to sell- a one year waiting list. To say that all of the dealers were uncooperative is an understatement. The dealership here in Tucson wanted a deposit on a bike for delivery a year later, which would be anything HD sent to them. Plus, the dealership wanted me to buy it without knowing what the price would be. I wanted the price to be set by what percentage above MSRP they were selling them now.

At that point the "sales" person started lecturing me about list price and MSRP.

I had had enough of HD attitude and walked out. I've had HD fever since I was a teenager--they cured me!!

In the past when I had my HD worked on by the dealership, something always went wrong!! I'd give them a list of what I wanted done; when I got dropped off to pick up my bike major things on the list hadn't been done. They refused to take my bike in to finish what was on the list, telling me what their next open repair slot was, in two weeks.

Repairs meant that the paint would be scratched and then we'd argue about weather it was scratched when they got my bike.

One time I had to new pistons and rings and have the cylinders board because the dealership I bought it from installed an aftermarket aluminum intake manifold because the stock ones would leak through the rubber seals. This aluminum one had O rings where it entered the head. The O rings wore out letting the aluminum rub against the head, but it still had suction.

End result, pieces of aluminum scored the jugs, rings and pistons.

When I got my bike back there were magic marker dots on each silver painted head next to the spark plugs. The tech marked each head when he did the first torque down.

At the time I was pricing out a new HD I would start adding up what had to be changes to get the engine running at full potential. Of course HD wanted me to buy their “made in America” kits, built over seas by a company they owned, and have the dealership install them, otherwise the warranty would be voided.

What that meant to me was that I'd have to wait till the warranty ran out before I could get the engine running right.

When my wife and I went to the three Honda dealers here to test ride either the Wing or the other bi bike they sold the only dealer that would let us test ride one INSISTED we negotiate a purchase price and sign a contract to buy one!! I was told that if I didn't like the bike they would void the contract.

I called Honda in CA asking if there was any dealer near me that would let a prospective buyer test ride a bike—no help from them.

I asked if I flew to CA, went to their headquarters could I test ride a Wing---NO. But, I could fly to Florida in four months and test ride one then.

When my wife an I arrived at the first Honda dealership, the largest one in Tucson, I was greeted with “Yo dude!”.

A dealer let us test ride a used Wing they had just taken in on a trade-60K on her.

As it turned out Honda was having major engine problems at that time.

Customer service at dealerships selling bikes in the same class as the HD full dressers, the wing and LTs was better than at the HD dealership, but less impressive than the “Yo dude” place.

Buying parts and getting repairs done on my HD at independent shops always meant having to deal with the negative attitudes.

I mention all of this because you are fed up with service problems—to alert you to research wherever you buy your next ride from.

Best from Tucson
Bob

Oh. I forgot to mention I had to replace some engine parts on my HD because one of the oil journals wasn't drilled exactly where it should have been. By the time that was discovered at 30K miles, it was out of warranty. Oh yea. Oil leaking from gaskets on both sides of the D-ring was never cured.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #6 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 8:24 pm

In your search for the perfect ride you'll want to avoid those Goldwing model years where owners have reported that the welds of the frame break after hitting a significant bump on the road, or the Harley's that experience unanticipated acceleration causing riders to rear end the vehicles in front of them! Just sayin.......
post #7 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

John,
the "real problem" is that I did follow the advise of the board, photographed the modules under the trunk, was told that the numbers are an encryption and not the code.
You guys have been the only solid help on this issue.
Furnished all this to my dealer, who had just changed his parts counter staff for the 3rd time, and his back room techs for the godnowshowmanyth times.

Saturday I went to the dealer to get the fob, as per dealer instruction, and was told, sorry, too busy ( which is Ok if they had planned ) and please come by Tuesday and we'll ( dealer ) have it done in a jiff.

Went to the dealers shop today as re-instructed, the service writer opened the game by saying that no one here had actually ever done one of these, but they'd figure it out. Now that's just not inspiring at all.
I'll interject that we are 5 days away from a 10 day vacation ride, have been told myriad horror stories by local LT riders of being alarm stranded, and wanted to get this "professionally" done. It's just that no professionals could be found where one might normally think to look.....at the dealership.

Now I'll add that I do all, ALL of the work on this bike, as I have done for decades on my other bikes. (Grew up on a farm, we don';t pay for those things we are capable of doing). Proper shop, proper tools, etc. I'm no stranger to mechanics or electrical stuff, it's been my business for 42 years and been seriously good at what I do at least according to a few thousand references around the globe.
From reading this forum, and hearing in person tales of woe by LT riders, even at a dinner at the dealership, again, I thought that given the short notice occasioned by lack of dealer ability to provide what all of you think is common information, I took it to the dealer.
So what's bothering me? Lack of support never experienced by at a Honda dealership.
As to the Golding air filter........it's just nuts and bolts. And for tire change on the road, there's a neat little trick with a scissor jack and a couple screw drivers. Done it already on a previous "wing. Owned my share of them, beginning in the 1970's.
On the alarm bypass, heard this muptiple times..............got a readable diagram? It would be keenly appreciated. As stated, the only good advise and assistance has come from this board, and it's appreciated.
post #8 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 8:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Even if your dealer is not the most knowledgeable you will find all the info you need on this site.
My LT does not visit the dealer unless there is a recall or warranty work to be performed, other wise I do all the wrenching.
If you decide to go with Harley or Honda I wish you the best as you need to love what you ride.
You will discover that all machines have their "personalities" that need to be overcome.
AMEN to this. All bikes, like all cars, trucks, boats, tractors, etc, have their issues. Some more than others. After a year of flawless performance, you have one run in with a ill prepaired dealer, and you are throwing in the towel? For goodness sakes, this complaint you have is not even after a breakdown!

Anyway, I feel your pain. The battery on my LT went out today. Is anyone looking for a good deal on an '02?

02' K12LT ~ 83K '97 F650GS ~ 32K' 81 XS400 ~ 9K
MOA #184190 Club #231 48035
post #9 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 9:03 pm

By any chance will your trip bring you near a reliable dealer?

Last year I bought a spare FD for my LT and sent it out to be rebuilt. When it was taken apart it was difficult to see if there were any traces of the bearing starting to fail. I had the FD installed before I rode from Maine back to AZ.

Next on my list is looking at replacing the slave cylinder, replace whatever gasket is seeping oil into the bell housing, replace other gaskets while I'm in there, and while it's apart decide if I want to replace the clutch plate with an after market one I bought a few months ago.

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #10 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 9:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ok so now we know your dealer isn't up to standards and you don't trust him to help.
That won't help with your upcoming trip, unless you get a new bike before then.

Take one more shot at your problem, either remove the alarm or carry a note on how to bypass it with you. Take a look here for info on the bypass or removal. Take your trip and look for you replacement when you get back so you don't get hosed on a trade with a deadline on your mind.

BMW has a book called anonymous that has folks all over the country that are willing to help if you need something while on the road. If you you were coming to New England I would help. I have last years copy of the book and would be happy to send it to you if it eases your mind about your trip.

HTH, good luck in whatever you choose to do.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Last edited by johnbaker15; Oct 9th, 2012 at 9:53 pm.
post #11 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 9:34 pm

It's a good read........will sumbuddy tell me tho'..........what's a 'Dealer'.......

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #12 of 26 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 11:18 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Bypassing the alarm is easy. Just access the alarm's 12 pin connector. If you want to continue using it but want a easy bypass in the event of failure just hook up a pole of a double pole switch to each jumpered pair. Hide the switch under the seat and if the alarm ever fails just throw the switch to "jumper" the wire pairs as described below:

To get the bike running again you need to jumper thefollowing pins on the 12 pin connector. Pin 3 (black/white/yellow) to pin 11(black/yellow); this is the starter button signal to the starter relay. Then jumper pin 10 (green/violet, switchedpower) to pin pin 6 (blue/violet, engine electronics relay). Nowthe bike will start and run normally.

Sucks how bad some dealers are but that is what got this site going in the first place. It will only get worse as the LT is no longer in production.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 6:23 am

My vote, if you really want to keep the bike - Disable it...

I have never heard of anyone stealing a K1200LT and unless you live in an area of high crime, I'd just disable the alarm. I never set mine in about 8 years of ownership.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver

I have never heard of anyone stealing a K1200LT and unless you live in an area of high crime, I'd just disable the alarm. I never set mine in about 8 years of ownership.
My thoughts exactly. Had one alarm malfunction when the receiver would not respond to the remote. Repaired under warranty about 5 years ago and have never used the alarm since. I use power locks occasionally but no one's tempted to steal an LT; you'd need a small crane to lift it onto a trailer or truck if the steering lock is set. What would a thief accomplish by pushing the beast around in circles?

Bruce
post #15 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 7:34 am

If his battery dies or he disconnects it, won't his alarm set?...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #16 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 7:50 am

If you like the bike, just disconnect it. Maybe one day you'll find a competent dealer that will know how to proceed.

But while I admire a Goldwing from afar, Aren't they the Honda Accord of motorcycles, completely reliable but boring and without a soul?

Of all the bikes I've owned, ONE had an alarm and it was also finicky to the point I didn't use it.

I also had very similar problems with a VW Cabrio's alarm. Was at the dealer twice, waiting around for a couple of hours, with mechanic, service manager, and dealer principal all standing over manuals, schematics, etc trying to figure it out. Second time I brought it in, another mechanic walked over to them and asked what they were trying to figure out. When he was told, he said something like: "Oh, that, that's easy." And I was out the door 10 minutes later all fixed!

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #17 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 9:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider
It's a good read........will sumbuddy tell me tho'..........what's a 'Dealer'.......

I don't even know that this 'alarm' thing is. I guess I should be happy I have a 2000.
post #18 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodcounty
So I've decided either Honda or Harley will be the next ride.
Reason; Shops on every corner, with knowledgable techs and ready parts supply and support. Any one can wrench a harley because everyone does. Honda just seems from my decades long experience to be the ne plus ultra in comfort and reliability.
Thought I'd give the Bavarians a try, wish I hadn't wasted the cash.
The grass is not always greener.

Just this week I sold my Harley Electra Glide and bought an '09 K1200LT (only 4k miles). I liked my Harley, but it was gutless. Passing power is anemic, especially with a pillion passenger and loaded bags. Harleys also run lean to meet EPA specs. Heat rise from the motor can be unbearable in summer. In my case, these limitations outweighed the abundant dealer base and ease of maintenance.
post #19 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Quote:

I live in an apartment in a not so good neighborhood in the big city and have not had a problem with people messing with my bike. There are only two dealerships here in the Phoenix area and i cant stand either of them. To me it seems like they think you need them instead of the other way around, but that is a story for another thread.......
post #20 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 4:06 pm

I have an entire alarm system including 2 fobs I removed from my 02LT if your interested. Was working when removed but never wanted to go through the pain if there was a failure.

There are many nice bikes available. BMW's aren't for everyone. I can't imagine riding anything else but JMHO. I feel fortunate to have a great dealer withing 3hours away. Their parts service is outstanding.

The support on this forum and folks ready to help is second to none.

Good luck selecting your next bike.

Rick
post #21 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amindtat
I don't even know that this 'alarm' thing is. I guess I should be happy I have a 2000.

Dave's not here.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #22 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiler
...There are only two dealerships here in the Phoenix area and i cant stand either of them. To me it seems like they think you need them instead of the other way around, but that is a story for another thread.......
+1
post #23 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Shortly after buying my LT I had lost/misplaced the only fob I had. Fortunately I had a spare key to work the bike. With help from forum members I was able to cross one pair of wires to disable the security system. Since that time I just left it that way! When I park the bike the red security light blinks like as if it were energized. When I start the engine the red light just remains "steady" on. I did find my misplaced Fob but like it the way it is.

2002 BMW K1200 LT.....Bought 6/15/2012

Last edited by RonHolly; Oct 10th, 2012 at 6:21 pm.
post #24 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

John, thanks for the offer of the manual. I do have the set.
Piper, I'm interested.
So here's the plan for the trip, I've downloaded and printed the tech pages and forum posts pertaining to the alarm work around. Found a conflit between posts and tech papers but it's minor.
Mapped out the wiring and labeled those to be left disconnected, and those to be jumped. This is anal but my living is made this way.
I've also constructed a quick reference spread sheet, colors and connectors, and stapled it to the manual, which is always in the bike, unlike my insurance verification, which officer smiley pointed out recently

When we return, the bike is getting detail stripped and pm'd just for sport so I'll do the alarm work/program at that time.
As far as getting rid of it, not a chance, but since this is the only brand that's ever left me stranded on the side of the road, when it comes time to replace this one there's not another beemer in our future, even as much as I lust over the GSA.
Again, thanks to all for the valued input.
post #25 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 7:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Mike,

Have a great trip, ride safe!

If you need any help there will always be some great folks here that will lend a hand and lots of time a wrench or two.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #26 of 26 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 11:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

+1 on that!

2012 K1600GTL
2003 K1200 LT (Ex)

BMWMOA #165932

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in