Cruise Control '09 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

Cruise Control '09 LT

I have a '09 LT and the cruise control is sometimes troublesome. While riding sometimes it will shut off. When I try to turn it back on it does nothing. I have tried to associate this with anything like rough road. That is what I thought it was for a while though it has happened on smooth highway.

Usually for the cruise to work again I have to stop the bike and turn it off. Though there have been times that it will start to work again while riding. Though that is rare. I only have had this LT for a few months and have looked and searched for remedies for this to no avail.

I thought I was doing something to cause this but its shut off with me just riding along.

I have a manual for an earlier model but it doesn't have anything in the Clymer on the cruise control. I haven't got the correct one yet. I know that there are many micro switches that will turn it off, and suspect that is the case. Just hoping someone has the trouble shooting from the manual so that I can begin with this fix.

TIA Douglas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 2:42 pm

Wink Re: Cruise Control '09 LT

Clutch switch is a common culprit here that is real easy to check: Next time it dis-engages, or it will not engage, push forward on the clutch lever and try again while holding the lever forward. If you can get it to engage this way it is the clutch switch right at the clutch lever. If not, no harm done.

HTH,
John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 5:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Cruise Control '09 LT

I don't know if the newer bikes suffer from it, but the older ones had an issue where the speedo/abs wiring would wear through where it was zipped to the swing arm or frame, I don't remember which. The subsequent intermittent short or open circuit caused an intermittent speedo and failure in the cruise control. I believe your speedo signal comes off the transmission, but the rear abs signal output might still be an issue if that wiring was rubbed through. Just something to check.

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 6:26 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The speedo does come from the rear ABS sensor but if that is bad you will get an ABS fault as well. Both the levers(brake and clutch) should get John's recommended test. Also the throttle has a roll past idle function to disengage the cruise. Let it fall back to idle and then roll it off about 1/4 inch, you should have movement in the twist grip. The foot pedal also will kick it off but that is rare that it is the culpret. Any of those can cause it to stop working if they are out of adjustment.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 9:38 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I work through Sat. and so hopefully will ride on Sunday. Though I have had days where it never acted up.
post #6 of 22 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
Clutch switch is a common culprit here that is real easy to check: Next time it dis-engages, or it will not engage, push forward on the clutch lever and try again while holding the lever forward. If you can get it to engage this way it is the clutch switch right at the clutch lever. If not, no harm done.

HTH,
John

+1

Occasionally the cruise on my '05 won't engage.
If I push forward on the clutch lever and retry
setting the cruise, it always engages. Of all the switches
that have to be made for the cruise to engage,
this one is the most used....every time you pull
the clutch lever.
Happens to me about once or twice a month.
It hasn't bothered me to the point to reset the
switch yet.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #7 of 22 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 10:11 am Thread Starter

Well yesterday I Rode the LT to San Andreas CA to see my father in law. (He just a had a triple B/P)

So while on I80 I had the CC on and used the front brake to cancel the CC. After traffic thinned and tried to restart CC no go. Pushing the clutch lever forward had no effect. Relegated to using my cramp buster which by the way isn't all that good. I'd periodically try to reset the CC. After 20 miles or so it would reset. Yay!

Next I used the throttle to cancel and it would and subsequently allow the CC to be reset. Next I tried the rear brake to cancel. This also would not allow me to reset the CC after the cancelling of the CC. The final test was using the clutch to cancel. On the way home I used the clutch to cancel the CC as needed and it always allowed me to reset after.

Only once while riding did the CC shut itself off while riding, with no input from me. When this happened the road was a newly paved stretch of interstate. Was able to reset CC when this happened.

So here it is:

Cancel with either brake CC Will NOT reset.
Cancel with clutch or throttle CC WILL reset.

So is there anyone here that can help me with this. Warranty is good on the bike through 2013 but the closest dealer is 70 miles away. Not even sure if its something covered. Kind of a pain. Would prefer to fixing this myself.

TIA
Douglas
post #8 of 22 Old Oct 14th, 2012, 1:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

What you use to cancel has no effect on reseting the cruise. One or more of your switches is on the edge of proper adjustment and is keeping it from re-engaging. Both brake switches feed the ABS unit which in turn sends a signal to the cruise. So I suppose that fault could be there but then either brake switch could be close to the edge. best to get to a quiet place where you can hear the "click" of each switch and judge if it is happening close to the edge.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 22 Old Oct 15th, 2012, 7:27 am

There is a test in the Hall of Wisdom. I would try that first. Both of my LT's have had the throttle switch get out of adjustment which is a pain because the body and gas tank must be removed to access it. I presently have the problem with the pinched wiring in the steering head and have to remove alot of stuff to get there. Be patient and check each switch thoroughly and you will find the culprit.

Phil Konzak

1972 Honda SL 125 (1 st bike)(rest in peace)
1974 Honda CB350 F1 (smoothness personified)
1973 Honda CB350 twin (unsafe at any speed)
1971 Kawasaki H-1A 500 (wheelie King)
1975 Honda GL1000 (4 into 1 header, Vetter fairing)
1981 KTM 420 Enduro (fast and smooth)
1979 Yamaha 750 Special (suprisingly fast)
1981 Honda GL1100 Interstate (rough rider)
2000 K1200LT ICon (gone but not forgotten)

2003 K1200LTE Silver Lightning 131,637 miles 07/01/13

Gear Up Every Time You Ride !
The Skin You Save Will Be Your Own !

I'm sorry but the laws of physics prevent me from going any faster than the vehicle directly in front of me !
post #10 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 10:36 am Thread Starter

I have done the test and all worked as expected except the wheel spin which I thought I read that it didn't work on an '09. I also while detailing yesterday listened to the micro switches click. All seemed normal.

I suppose the hunt continues.
post #11 of 22 Old Oct 16th, 2012, 1:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You are correct about the wheel rotation not working. If all the switches clicked at the proper distance and are not prone to inadvertant activation then I would check to see if the brake lights are staying on after a brake initiated disconnect. Could have a sticking brake relay. Actually the relay does not drive the disconnect but the same signal that drives the relay does. So if the ABS unit is still driving the brake light relay it will also be commanding no cruise.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #12 of 22 Old Oct 17th, 2012, 11:46 am Thread Starter

I alternately operated the front and rear brake and the light always goes off immediately with no hesitation.
post #13 of 22 Old Nov 1st, 2012, 10:06 am Thread Starter

Wink Re: Cruise Control '09 LT

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a apt. for 9:00 am with A&S cycle in Roseville to see if they can figure it out. While on my last ride I had turned up the Pre-Load for 2up and it became more intermittent. With much luck they will fix or adjust as needed.

TIA Douglas
post #14 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 7:31 am Thread Starter

Well on my way to A&S in Roseville I used the CC several times. It worked everytime until I got about 4 miles away. Thankfully it didn't work then.

They performed the same test that I have done for the switches. then test rode it and once again it did not work. I was told by Clinton the service advisor that they needed to order the part and if its in the country that he'd have it in a few days.

When I got home the message he left is that the controller has to come from Germany. I am not sure how to take this.

1. The controller doesn't fail often and that is why its not in the US. or
2. It fails all the time and they are just out of stock here.

He also mentioned that the programming is troublesome to do. So does anyone have any experience with this here?

TIA Douglas
post #15 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 2:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Not a common failure that I have seen here in the last 8 years so I think you are safe.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #16 of 22 Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 2:49 pm

1) Are controllers the same across all model years of LT?

2) Is your bike under warranty?

If 1 = Yes andif 2 = No, I think I have a spare (used) CC controller you can have for actual USPS shipping and insurance. Just email (at aol) me a prepaid shipping label if you need it and I can find it.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #17 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 12:05 pm Thread Starter

Deputy thanks for the offer I really appreciate it. Yes my LT is still under warranty until 12-31-2013. So that is good along with the mention of this not being a common failure. I looked up the list price for this and is over $600.

I also think they are using the same controller for most bikes. What concerns me is that they have to program it? Does anyone know what this is about..

TIA Douglas
post #18 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 9:08 pm

I had the same problems you described. Check all the micro switches first.

Then:

Change the throttle cables to the new style if pre-20xx. Pay a lot of attention to the routing of the new cables from the grip attachments to the throttle body. Read Clymer's and this site, then listen to the micro switches in a quiet area. Tie wrap everything that would hinder the movement of the cables but not too tight.

My cruise has been faultless since I made this change. (about 10K+ miles ago) I also adjusted the cables to have just a 'little" bit of slack (ie. very small amount) before they move the throttle.

Probably one of the best improvements I've ever made to my LT.
post #19 of 22 Old Nov 5th, 2012, 10:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsherman
Deputy thanks for the offer I really appreciate it. Yes my LT is still under warranty until 12-31-2013. So that is good along with the mention of this not being a common failure. I looked up the list price for this and is over $600.

I also think they are using the same controller for most bikes. What concerns me is that they have to program it? Does anyone know what this is about..

TIA Douglas
Warranty is good!!!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #20 of 22 Old Nov 6th, 2012, 9:39 am Thread Starter

av8trto

I will keep that in mind if the new controller doesn't work. thanks..
post #21 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2012, 8:48 am Thread Starter

Took the bike to A&S in Roseville yesterday for warranty repair of Cruise Control. They replaced the control unit "F". p/n 6571761609. Also the Bowden Cable (throttle cable) p/n 32731465287.

I used the CC a dozen times on the 60 mile ride home using all of the switches that turn it off and then resetting it. Worked perfectly. Wanted to let the group know what the solution was. My BMW is under warranty until 12-31-13 so I will continue watching for failure.

Douglas
post #22 of 22 Old Dec 12th, 2012, 10:16 am

Hopefully you've found the demon and it will work from now on. Mine was throttle related.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in