Passenger complaining of wind gusts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 1:06 pm Thread Starter

Passenger complaining of wind gusts

The wife and I took a ride in northern PA this weekend to see the trees changing colors and to goto apple fest in Franklin PA. It seemed a little more windy than normal but not bad at all, in my opinion. We were traveling between 50 to 70 MPH most of the time. My wife was practically having a panic attack every time a cross wind hit us. I tried lowering our speed and it didn't seem to help. On the way home later she seemed to be a little calmer so I drove a bit faster and I think it seemed better. She said the wind would whip her helmet around, to the point she was supporting her helmet with her hand so she wouldn't hurt her neck. (FYI She has had neck pain from time to time in the past.) I have a standard height windshield and usually have it adjusted about 3/4 the way up. I was looking for some input on how to make her ride a little bit more comfortable. Would different windshield help this? I think she needs to relax a bit. Maybe a cocktail or two before we leave.(For her only of course) But then we would have to stop for bathroom breaks even more often.

John

2006 BMW K1200 LT
2011 Polaris 850XP Touring
Butler, Pa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Re: Passenger complaining of wind gusts

Check that her helmet is the right size. My wife had the same problem which disappeared when we changed her helmet - and discovered the one she had been using was too big.
post #3 of 24 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 2:35 pm

At the suggestion of another couple we ride with, my wife started wearing
one of these and finds that it helps her a lot.

post #4 of 24 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Interesting comments, my wife also says she really cops the wind, especially when it's from the side, whereas I rarely feel it. I too have the standard screen and run it about 75% fully up (quietest poaition). I suspect there is a swirling vortex type action going on behind me. I'm interested in what, if anything, others have done to improve the situation.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #5 of 24 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 7:46 pm
cws

Garage

Z-technic Vstream from Mototoys in Newcastle, Dennis. I think he's the only Aus importer. Its helped Kerry a lot on the back, and it is also much better for me.... also getting a lighter BMW system 4 sports helmet (non-flip) made a huge difference for her. Took the weight off her neck.

Mototoys have a couple on Ebay at the moment, different sizes, I think they are cheaper than I paid a couple of years ago. Love mine. Here's some pics of the difference between the OEM (short Euroscreen) and Vstream on my bike.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 24 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE

I've been checking into these (and others) as my wife has neck issues as well. I like the price versus the Leatt models. Any one else use a neck restraint? (not meaning to hi-jack the thread)
post #7 of 24 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 6:24 pm

my wife has severe arthritis and has always used the (cheap) foam neck support they sell at the drug store

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #8 of 24 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 9:47 pm

If you don't have them already, get her fold down armrests. She will feel more secure.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #9 of 24 Old Oct 9th, 2012, 11:04 pm

I'll second checking the fit of her helmet my fiancee had the same problems, when we first got her helmet she said it fit good and I let it go after several times of her having problems I checked the fit and sure enough, ya the helmet was comfortable all right but she could bend over and it would try to fall off she didn't know it should fit like a glove.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969
post #10 of 24 Old Oct 10th, 2012, 11:29 am

Mounting a soft bag (Mag's Bags - but they are no longer in biz) on the luggage rack and stuffing it will allow laminar flow to continue around the passenger's helmet.

It makes a HUGE difference in stability and especially during periods of increased turbulence.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 9:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE
Bought one for Suzanne yesterday... Will post results after she gets to try it out...

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #12 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 9:58 am

I've used both the factory style windshield, and the Cee Bailey's #2 style.
What I found was that the Cee Bailey's doesn't need to be raised as high to deflect wind off the Pillion. I also feel that visibility is a little better.
Worth a try?
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmws1200ltno2.htm

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #13 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 1:05 pm

I have a Parabellum windshield that makes the air alot smoother over the bike and gives me better mileage than the stock windshield did. Occasionally my wife still complains in very strong cross winds, but it is much better than the stock one.

Ditto for the arm rests. She loves hers if you don't already have them.

Phil Konzak

1972 Honda SL 125 (1 st bike)(rest in peace)
1974 Honda CB350 F1 (smoothness personified)
1973 Honda CB350 twin (unsafe at any speed)
1971 Kawasaki H-1A 500 (wheelie King)
1975 Honda GL1000 (4 into 1 header, Vetter fairing)
1981 KTM 420 Enduro (fast and smooth)
1979 Yamaha 750 Special (suprisingly fast)
1981 Honda GL1100 Interstate (rough rider)
2000 K1200LT ICon (gone but not forgotten)

2003 K1200LTE Silver Lightning 131,637 miles 07/01/13

Gear Up Every Time You Ride !
The Skin You Save Will Be Your Own !

I'm sorry but the laws of physics prevent me from going any faster than the vehicle directly in front of me !
post #14 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 1:32 pm

There really isn't much that can be done to deflect crosswind on the pillion. By definition, it is wind coming from the side so the windshield will have little to no effect.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #15 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws
Z-technic Vstream from Mototoys in Newcastle, Dennis. I think he's the only Aus importer. Its helped Kerry a lot on the back, and it is also much better for me.... also getting a lighter BMW system 4 sports helmet (non-flip) made a huge difference for her. Took the weight off her neck.

Mototoys have a couple on Ebay at the moment, different sizes, I think they are cheaper than I paid a couple of years ago. Love mine. Here's some pics of the difference between the OEM (short Euroscreen) and Vstream on my bike.
I like the looks of this windshield. I found a picture of the wind comparison from the OEM to the VStream Z-technic. See attached picture. I'm thinking this would help with some of the side winds, as the head winds would deflect the side winds. After checking into it, I think my wifes helmet is too big. I would like to hear opinion from a few more people that have the Z-technic VStream windshield. I would probably stick with the same OEM height though.
I also see that Cee Baileys makes a Hyper-Flow Series that look almost identical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VStream_Diagram.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	36808  

John

2006 BMW K1200 LT
Butler, Pa

Last edited by jmhetzel; Oct 11th, 2012 at 2:25 pm.
post #16 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhetzel
I like the looks of this windshield. I found a picture of the wind comparison from the OEM to the VStream Z-technic. See attached picture. I'm thinking this would help with some of the side winds, as the head winds would deflect the side winds. After checking into it, I think my wifes helmet is too big. I would like to hear opinion from a few more people that have the Z-technic VStream windshield. I would probably stick with the same OEM height though.
I also see that Cee Baileys makes a Hyper-Flow Series that look almost identical.
I had a v stream on my bike, nowhere near as stable as the stock windshield in very strong cross wind - with stock windshield down it is as stable as my K1100LT was in strong cross winds

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #17 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk
I've used both the factory style windshield, and the Cee Bailey's #2 style.
What I found was that the Cee Bailey's doesn't need to be raised as high to deflect wind off the Pillion. I also feel that visibility is a little better.
Worth a try?
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmws1200ltno2.htm

I agree with Rand;the cee bailey #2 really helped my wife and I for the wind;
post #18 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 9:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroamer
Check that her helmet is the right size. My wife had the same problem which disappeared when we changed her helmet - and discovered the one she had been using was too big.
That was my first thought also. A properly fitting helmet will not move around in the wind and have to be held into place.

Crosswinds are annoying to be sure and will move you around, but a properly fitted helmet will make things a lot more comfortable.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #19 of 24 Old Oct 11th, 2012, 9:46 pm

Quote:
I currently have this shield equipped. The good, very low airflow to the rider or pillion. It has been down to 34 in the mornings here lately, and I have no issues on the way to work (other than what the destination is). The bad, very low airflow to the rider and pillion. Over 85 degrees, it is too warm. Over 90, you will cook. 100 or more, ride something else. You would be best served to keep a different sheild for summer usage. As for stability, I have had no issues with instability from cross or any other winds with this shield equipped. Although I have never had a stock shield to compair it to, how the bike acts on windy days does not draw concern. (Had 40mph gusts today even).

02' K12LT ~ 83K '97 F650GS ~ 32K' 81 XS400 ~ 9K
MOA #184190 Club #231 48035
post #20 of 24 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerVerge
I currently have this shield equipped. The good, very low airflow to the rider or pillion. It has been down to 34 in the mornings here lately, and I have no issues on the way to work (other than what the destination is). The bad, very low airflow to the rider and pillion. Over 85 degrees, it is too warm. Over 90, you will cook. 100 or more, ride something else. You would be best served to keep a different sheild for summer usage. As for stability, I have had no issues with instability from cross or any other winds with this shield equipped. Although I have never had a stock shield to compair it to, how the bike acts on windy days does not draw concern. (Had 40mph gusts today even).
Which make, model, and height windshield do you have?
Thanks for the information.

John

2006 BMW K1200 LT
Butler, Pa
post #21 of 24 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 9:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

John,

I have the VStream Z-technic also, when it is up it's a cone of silence. Now it came with the bike so I don't know what model/size it is, but no wind no buffeting. In the lowered position, with the side deflectors turned in for warm weather riding I get enough air to be comfortable. (riding in a mesh jacket)

Last weekend went for a RTE with the wife, coming home hit lots of cross winds and I had to ask if she noticed them. We also hit a few sprinkles, put the shield all the way up and didn't have to pull over to get the rain suits on.

HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #22 of 24 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
John,

I have the VStream Z-technic also, when it is up it's a cone of silence. Now it came with the bike so I don't know what model/size it is, but no wind no buffeting. In the lowered position, with the side deflectors turned in for warm weather riding I get enough air to be comfortable. (riding in a mesh jacket)

Last weekend went for a RTE with the wife, coming home hit lots of cross winds and I had to ask if she noticed them. We also hit a few sprinkles, put the shield all the way up and didn't have to pull over to get the rain suits on.

HTH
That sounds like just what I'm looking for. Could I bother you to measure the height of your windshield? They measure the in center, from top to bottom.

John

2006 BMW K1200 LT
Butler, Pa
post #23 of 24 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 2:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Just found out that the VStream is offered in a -2, might just be my perfect shield. I ride the euro low shield in the summer. Put on the VStream last week for the winter and it looks huge.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #24 of 24 Old Oct 12th, 2012, 5:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
That sounds like just what I'm looking for. Could I bother you to measure the height of your windshield? They measure the in center, from top to bottom.
John,

Just got back on, the shield is the standard one 22.7 inches tall.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in