I am starting to hate this bike. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 12:02 am Thread Starter

I am starting to hate this bike.

So I've been riding my 1999 KLT for over 7 months.

And I did a 2000 miles round trip on it.

But I still think the bike is too heavy.

I just dropped it once again this evening. I was on a twisty road, missed the turn and needed to turn around.

Pulled into this space to turn around, the ground was tilted and I leaned a bit too much and the bike went down on the left side. It just flobbed over and so hard that the mirror became detached.

2 guys came over & helped me pick it up....I can never lift this thing by myself...I am 160 lbs and the monster is 840.

I think if I keep this bike I will just end up destroying it or killing myself, it is simply too heavy....I feel the weight everytime I need to park it or stop or turn, the steering is also stiff and not light and the bike is simply unweildy in size, mass and weight.

And it doesn't help that it is heigh off the ground/high center of gravity.

Any thoughts, advice or recommendations from those who are very familiar and are experts on this bike?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 1:39 am

Re: I am starting to hate this bike.

I've had my 2001 LT since August 2000.
It took patience, practice, and accepting that I will occasionally drop the bike,
especially towards the end of the day when I get tired.
With practice, you'll learn how to do a 180 degree turn on a narrow 2-lane road.
And lots of other things that a touring bike shouldn't be able to do.
It took several thousand miles and hours of practice until I mastered my LT.
It's been a great relationship for 119,,000 miles.
Don't get discouraged.
Don't be intimidated.
And always keep the front wheel pointed forward when stopping.
post #3 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 2:44 am Thread Starter

Thank you for your kind words.

I've put about 7000 miles on the bike in the last 7 months since I've owned it. I don't drive my car anymore, it is always the bike.

I can make a U turn on regular roads, but on 2 lane (1 lane in each direction) mountain roads I can't. I have to find a spot that has more space to turn just as I did today when I dropped it.

When I picked it up & re started it, it made so much smoke from the exhaust...is that normal ??

I mean a LOT of smoke, then it cleared.

It is always the same, when I stop or park I feel the weight or when I grab the front brakes. You feel the weight of the bike and that it wants to go down.

The left side rubber wing is already chewed through in one spot.

I don't know if I damaged something else because I hear a noise too from the last slide/fall on the bike.

I can't detect any leaks or anything loose or broken underneath.

Thanks.

post #4 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 8:23 am

My guess is that most felt the way you do in the beginning. My experience was the same for the first 5,000 miles. I did take a class a while back, Ride like a Pro, and that helped.

I'm about 5-11 / 150# wet and with the correct technique, can fairly easily pick up the bike. It always helps though if someone is available to assist.

Just a hint, don't grab the front brake, especially if the wheel is slightly turned. She will take a nap!

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 9:18 am

Without trying to insult you, what you describe is some inexperience and some bad habits. (I know, you did 7,000 miles and that's admirable)

The inexperience comes into play with where you chose to make the U or K turn. You should have recognized the downward slope BEFORE you started the turn, and also recognize that it will cause extra problems.

I did the same as you did just after getting back to riding after a 20 year break to raise a family, etc. I feel you need a rider's course to recognize bad habits and how to correct that way of thinking. You may improve so much that you may start to like the bike again. Right now, the bike is like a boxing opponent that's gotten in to the head of his opponent. You seem to be down on the bike for being too big, too heavy, can't turn, etc.

And stay off that front brake at slow speeds in a parking lot, if you have the front turned even a bit, you will go down.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #6 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 9:34 am

I will echo some of the other comments. I too found the LT loveable but unwieldy at first, but with a lot of experience found it to be absolutely PERFECT for me. It fit me like it was custom made for me. I got into Long Distance riding, and just could not imagine doing it on any other bike, and put 120,000 miles on the two LTs I had in 4 years.

It was still a beast if dropped, but with enough time and practice this will rarely if ever happen again. As others said, you will see the things that will cause you to possibly drop it as second nature, and will avoid them without thinking about it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:57 am

Don't get discouraged. The LT takes some time and energy. I've put about 18,000 Miles on her in about 20 months. I've thought about trading her off several times for something lighter, but then I go for a ride and think, "Why would I ever get rid of this?"

Like Dan, I've done the Ride Like a Pro thing...but not a class. I bought the material (Book and DVD) and went through the course myself. It helped having a buddy do it with me. Then, we took it to the next level and offered it as a Skills Day at my church. I've attached the map and instructions from our most recent Skills Day event. That was the most helpful thing ever. I also try to practice the slow speed maneuvers any chance I get...parking lots, gas stations, etc. I can honestly say the first few times is terribly intimidating, but then it slowly molds from intimidation into respect and you learn to control it like any other bike.

That's not to say there aren't moments of terror though! Just 2 days ago, was doing a U-turn from a stop in a restaurant parking lot. I knew when I started it that it was going to be difficult because of the poor and uneven asphalt ripped up by tree roots, but I tried it anyway...and almost laid her down. But the instincts I've learned in practicing over and over helped...first instinct was to put my foot down and fight her falling over. But then the training I've put myself through caught up to my instinct and I gave her more power, used some counterweight lean, and we were back to my comfort level.

Let me know if the attachments don't work. I think I can link directly to them elsewhere. Keep at it. Don't give up yet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Skills Day Map Back - instructions.pdf (42.2 KB, 97 views)

Associate Pastor, Pickens, SC
Director of F.A.I.T.H. Riders Ministry at my church

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure - White (easily my favorite bike to date!)
'07 Honda Gold Wing - Metallic Silver
'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'06 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Midnight Custom
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'04 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Classic
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX
post #8 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:06 am

Apparently only one attachment worked...here's the other one (maybe?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skills Day Map.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	36755  

Associate Pastor, Pickens, SC
Director of F.A.I.T.H. Riders Ministry at my church

'07 BMW R1200GS Adventure - White (easily my favorite bike to date!)
'07 Honda Gold Wing - Metallic Silver
'99 BMW K1200LT - White
'06 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Midnight Custom
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'04 Yamaha V-Star - 1100 Classic
'99 Honda Shadow 750
'90 Honda Shadow VLX
post #9 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:06 am

A low speed tumble (probably) won't seriously injure you, are you comfortable with the handling at speeds that might? If so, then I would suggest you buy some cones and find a parking lot that is abandoned on a saturday, start out with a wide path and slowly move it in.

The smoking is probably because a few drops of oil seeped passed the rings into the firing chamber. This has been explained to me as something to the effect that BMW uses a floating ring instead of a <insert something else here> type, or maybe I have that backwards. Either way don't worry about that, my R1200C will fog the entire neighborhood on startup in the morning. As far as your rattle my money would be on some tupperware clunking around. If you went down hard enough and with enough weight I can see one or more of the tabs breaking off on the lower engine cover (see #3 below)

In short if you are concerned that you safety might be at risk you should probably get another bike, but don't be a hater
post #10 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 12:18 pm

Don't give up yet!

We got our '99 LT last year. I really wondered about this decision, having ridden since 1975 on small and middleweight bikes (my other ride at the moment is a Yamaha FZ6- 460 lbs). At the time I was recovering from surgery and felt overwhelmed . We dropped it twice the first day we were both aboard, which did not bode well.

One year and 2k miles later, we are starting to get used to her. The weight is an issue, but proper technique will help.
post #11 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Yes she is intimidating at low speed until you learn her.

Think back to when you fell. Were you in neutral? Did you pull the clutch in, thereby going to neutral? Those who took the ride like a pro course may know this trick, but with traction or tension going to the rear wheel, the motorcycle will almost never fall. It was something I was taught (and unintentionally demonstrated) the first time I went to motor officer school. Just keep "drive" and some throttle going to the rear wheel and you can go pretty far over at low speed. Also, keep your head looking where you want to go or be. If you're doing a slow turn like you were and look at the ground, that's where you will go.

Now granted both times I went through I was on a wet clutch bike ( a Kawasaki and then an Harley) but on the low speed maneuvers, pulling in the clutch would mean falling but clutch and gas would keep you up. I don't think the OCCASIONAL clutch slippage like that would harm our dry clutch.

It will get better.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 12:45 pm

I took a slow speed skills enhancement course with the AZ preicision drill team. Really helped me correct some bad habits i had and the class was free. I almost dropped the bike about four times during the course but i managed not to somehow. Get some new good habits to work on and practice practice practice.
post #13 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Hang in there. What I learned is that you need presence of mind and think ahead when turning, parking, stopping, backing up, putting it on and taking it off the center stand. You cannot rush. I see lots of riders that won't take there time and if you need to turn around then continue on until you find a suitable safe area. Make sure when going slow you look forward, head up where you want to go and if you need to stop, stop in a straight line then turn. Parking with a side stand if pointed downhill, no good, soft ground no good. I use the center stand and same warnings as the side stand. I have had my bike 5 years and dropped it twice the first year and decided to better plan when doing the things that will cause a dirt nap and have not dropped in the last 4 years ( probably will now.) Just think smart and slow down when in the dirt nap zone. Good Luck.
post #14 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 1:44 pm

When you are trying to lift it up - with yr back to the bike, put one hand on the handlebar & the other on the trunk. Get that second hand up on the trunk as far as possible before starting to lift. Don't try to grab anything lower. Of course make sure the side stand is down.

You may want to first try it on some grass or an old carpet.
post #15 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Take the Experienced rider course. It is a great course. They cover low speed for a half day. Then practice, practice, parctice. Or trade it in for an RT. Nothing wrong with that no bike is for everybody. Good luck and success in whatever path you choose.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #16 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 2:16 pm

Take a look at this video. The easy way to pick up a bike, do it the same for the LT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sP3cqKbOEs

Garry

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #17 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 2:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
My guess is that most felt the way you do in the beginning. My experience was the same for the first 5,000 miles. I did take a class a while back, Ride like a Pro, and that helped.

I'm about 5-11 / 150# wet and with the correct technique, can fairly easily pick up the bike. It always helps though if someone is available to assist.

Just a hint, don't grab the front brake, especially if the wheel is slightly turned. She will take a nap!
Thank you to everyone who gave valuable advice to me.

For Dan, I really don't know how you can pick up that bike by yourself. I've seen the Youtube videos of the techniques to pick up the bike with the legs and back.

I've been doing Martial arts for 20 yrs & used to race bicycles before that, so I have strong legs but was never able to pick up the bike alone, nor was I able to put it on the center stand and I've used the technique recommended by BMW. In fact myself and another guy who is smaller and shorter than me were not able to put the bike on the center stand last time when I wanted to change the Oil. But myself and another bigger guy were able to put it up on the center stand before.

One time I tried to stop the bike from falling over & gave myself a Hernia (at least it felt like it) luckly I called a guy on the street over and he helped me stop it from hitting the ground.

I did do the parking lot practices but I maybe dropped the bike a total of 8 times or so since February when I bought it.

And sometimes you ride & ride looking for a "Safe" place to turn but you find nothing and you try to do the best you can.

I am now thinking it is better to do the slow turns in tight spaces with the engine off, and using the legs..walking the bike. With the engine on the right hand ends up reving the engine (when I lose control of the bike) and makes it harder to control it.

Had a Kawasaki 550 LTD and rode it on some long rides and never dropped it. The LT is a different story.

I keep thinking why did they have to make it so dammn heavy. The GT is about half the weight and has all the bells & whistles of the LT and even bigger engine.

The steering is pretty much useless at slow speed or in turning.

And the back brakes don't seem to have the same grip as the front ones, maybe it is just my bike.

I guess what I am getting here is to turn using the engine always, don't turn using my legs....walking the bike. I do that sometimes ( like yesterday) in very tight spaces. And maybe some riding boots would help giving me a better grip on the ground.

Thanks.

I don't know.
post #18 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 2:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen
When you are trying to lift it up - with yr back to the bike, put one hand on the handlebar & the other on the trunk. Get that second hand up on the trunk as far as possible before starting to lift. Don't try to grab anything lower. Of course make sure the side stand is down.

You may want to first try it on some grass or an old carpet.
Neil,

Thank you.

I've seen the videos on lifting the bike, I tried it but the thing will not puddge. Also with one hand on the steering, the steering starts moving and that creates more problems of control.

Then there is the risk of it falling over to the other side IF I succeed in lifting it atall.
post #19 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
Take a look at this video. The easy way to pick up a bike, do it the same for the LT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sP3cqKbOEs

Garry
Thanks Garry.

I've seen some of these videos.

2 problems with this video, the bike in the video is half the weight of the LT and the Woman doing the picking up is twice my size :-)

Last edited by BMW_forever; Oct 8th, 2012 at 3:17 pm.
post #20 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Sure, try and "walk it" with the engine off... forget about the hernia, you'll give yourself a heart attack in no time. I think the bike has got to you mentally. You have to clear that sh!t out of your head before you can improve. Or trade it for a RT like someone said. But you'll still dump it if you keep doing things like you do..

You also sound impatient and resigned to failure. You say you can sometimes ride and ride and not find a good place to turn around. Well, if you gotta keep riding and looking, that's what you have to do. Sounds like you get impatient and still pick a less than ideal place for the turn. If you're not comfortable turning at point "A" in the road, and you ride 3 miles and still don't find a place you are comfortable, but choose to do it there anyway, should you be surprised when you fail? Should you blame the weight of the bike like you are doing?

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #21 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 3:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_S
Sure, try and "walk it" with the engine off... forget about the hernia, you'll give yourself a heart attack in no time. I think the bike has got to you mentally. You have to clear that sh!t out of your head before you can improve. Or trade it for a RT like someone said. But you'll still dump it if you keep doing things like you do..

You also sound impatient and resigned to failure. You say you can sometimes ride and ride and not find a good place to turn around. Well, if you gotta keep riding and looking, that's what you have to do. Sounds like you get impatient and still pick a less than ideal place for the turn. If you're not comfortable turning at point "A" in the road, and you ride 3 miles and still don't find a place you are comfortable, but choose to do it there anyway, should you be surprised when you fail? Should you blame the weight of the bike like you are doing?
George,

I am sure you mean well.

But if you knew me you would know that I am not resigned to failure as you put it. I bought the bike and rode it home...over 200 miles even though I've never rode a bike this big, heavy or large. That shows you that I have confidence in my ability to handle a new situation or experience.

One can philosophise about things but the fact is, and many people said this, it is a heavy and unweilding (Not my words) bike, especially at low speeds. And as far as being impatient....how long and how far one rides to find a place to turn on a mountainous road before realizing that maybe there is no "perfect" place to turn this bike on this particular road?

Do I keep riding till I run out of gas, I mean there is a limit to everything.

And the weight of the bike does not help, no matter how you spin it. It is still 840 lbs no matter what.
post #22 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 3:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever
I am now thinking it is better to do the slow turns in tight spaces with the engine off, and using the legs..walking the bike. With the engine on the right hand ends up reving the engine (when I lose control of the bike) and makes it harder to control it..
I would advise against this.. strongly. If you cannot lift it up, how are you going to walk it with the engine off. Sitting on the bike, you are not in the best position to use your legs for propulsion. Standing on the side, you ether have to hold it up or try to stop it falling over the opposite side. Then there is stopping the beast with negligible braking power with engine off.

Imagine what could happen if you are duckwalking the bike around a tight turn, one foot "sticks" to the ground more than you expected for the surface you are on, your leg twists, shatters, and the first two surgeons say they cannot repair it. The third, a limb rescue specialist, saves your leg and muscles, installs lots of fancy titanium rods (one being the full length of your tibia), screws, plates, etc in your leg, eight days in the hospital, and six months in a wheelchair. I never imagined any of that, but I can assure you that now I keep my legs up on the bike when turning!

Stay with it... good things come to those that practice. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #23 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 3:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever
Thank you to everyone who gave valuable advice to me.

For Dan, I really don't know how you can pick up that bike by yourself. I've seen the Youtube videos of the techniques to pick up the bike with the legs and back.
One of the easier ways to learn how to put the bike on it's center stand is to first, have someone show you how to do it correctly and then have that person on the other side. You can practice without worrying about it falling over. I did that with a member of this forum and after a few tries, he got it.

Learning how to pick it up is the same. Get on a level area, cover it with several layers of heavy carpet and then let it down.... Get help picking it up correctly and then go for it. It really is about 75% technique. Use your legs and not your arms. It's simply doing a squat.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #24 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 4:01 pm

SIDEBAR: How are you doing, Dan? Back in the pool with the finned friends? Have a come-to-Jesus_meeting with Mr. Grouper yet?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #25 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 4:09 pm

You could also remove the top case. That might help you some. Maybe the LT is just too big for you. no shame in that.
post #26 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 4:30 pm Thread Starter

Here is the best video on how to lift a bike :-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOCTsna2jiI
post #27 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Smile Re: I am starting to hate this bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
SIDEBAR: How are you doing, Dan? Back in the pool with the finned friends? Have a come-to-Jesus_meeting with Mr. Grouper yet?
Me and the grouper made up.... No hard feelings.... I'm back to diving and he's lunch! :-)

Na, just kidding. The hand is back to normal, riding and diving regularly, thanks.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #28 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 6:14 pm

BMW forever,

I'm sorry you don't like my post but your posts are very defeatist-sounding, and also like you've already made up your mind. And yes, I DO mean keep riding until you find a place you're comfotable with turning around because you've proven what the alternative is- falling, unless you take a course or something to relearn some skills.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

post #29 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Well, She's a heavy beast... That's for sure.. No one here will tell you otherwise..

You will get better with time.. The hardest thing to do on a big bike is a U-turn..

You have to look to where you want the bike to go.. Forget about looking in front...

If you look , She will go right where you're looking every time.

Never, Ever, Ever grab the front brake with the front wheel turned at low speed...Once your speed is down to parking lot / manuvering speed.. Use the rear brake as much as you can...This will help with the inertia problem...

Now, Having said that, I got rid of my LT for the very same reason.. Yeah, I was used to it and I could manuver it just fine.. But I got tired of always having to be on point all the time..My last drop was due to a quick stop and there was a pot hole under my foot... Over I went.. That was the last straw...

So I sold the LT.. Got a CLC.. Awesome bike..
Then I got an RT.. Another Awesome bike...
Then I got an R100GS... Well you know the story..

Sold my R65 today to fund my Land Rover project..

Good Luck... My 01 R1100RT is just a smaller LT... Just as nice to drive..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #30 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 7:24 pm
cws

Garage

+1 on removing the top-box while you come to terms with the beast (or beastess... whatever your flavour). A lot of guys have posted about the difference it makes in handling without it on. Doesn't take too long to whip off if you haven't got extra farkles wired in through it.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #31 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 7:29 pm

The LT is certainly not for everyone. There is no shame in this at all as it certainly qualifies as being on the edge of extreme (height/weight). There are plenty of bikes out there to choose from that might allow you a higher level of comfort in low speed maneuvers and still offer you an acceptable level of touring fun.

Now, would it be worth the hassle of learning to ride it without it having to constantly worry about it kicking your butt? Maybe. Or, it just might be more than you are willing or able to comfortably handle. Again, no shame in this.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #32 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 7:47 pm

Watching those linked videos I am starting to think the LT is one of the easier bikes to pick up, sure it's heavy but it really doesnt fall over, it only goes down about 1/2 way, those HDs were parallel with the ground, I dare say you would never get an LT up by yourself at that angle regardless of strength or technique!

Another factor is footing, my ghetto-sled tipped in a garage / kickstand incident and I was able to right her fairly easily after I collected my wits (it happened at the tender age of my 3rd day of ownership). When my riding buddy tipped his it was in his driveway which has probably the smoothest finish of any concrete I have seen. All full of stud-muffin I said I can do this no problem - all great failures are preceded by three simple words: "hey, watch this". Needless to say, I looked like one of those old time cartoons as there was simply no traction whatsoever, it took the two of us to get it up.

BMW_Forever, I think you should stick with it a little longer. It sounds like you are an accomplished rider and I think you might have gotten spooked by the LT and now it has you nervous. I think you should go practice a few low speed maneuvers in a parking lot with another experienced rider to spot you and watch you to see if you have started doing something that you are unaware of. Also he can help you pick the beast up if you go down, then once you are comfortable and confident replace those tip-over black things and enjoy her for what she is. I'm sure there is another LT rider in the Bay area who would be willing to spend a couple hours with you, most of the people on this forum want to help others which is what makes it so great.
post #33 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 7:51 pm

I really hate to agree with Loren, but he's right.
I had to come to terms with a DR650 dual sport. Loved everything about it, but it was just heavier than I wanted to deal with. Hated to have to admit it was too much for me, and for what I wanted to do, but I dropped down to a lighter dual sport, and now I'm having a ball.
Some times it just ain't worth the fight.
post #34 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 7:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here is an LT lift video.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...1434&q=k1200lt

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #35 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I really hate to agree with Loren, but he's right.
Just say it again!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #36 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Maybe an LT is not for you. Do you normally ride single? Less than two-three hours at a stretch? Maybe an R1200RT would be more suitable. I rode a KZ650 across the US three times in the late 70's, so I know you don't need a big bike for long-range cruising.

My wife & I are both large people, and the comfort factor is supremely important for both of us.

Unfortunately, if you simply cannot get comfortable, it's not worth it.
post #37 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 9:26 pm

AJ,

You mentioned your martial arts training so I can assume you've been cultivating an indomitable spirit and that might be part of your drive to master the LT. My question is what do you really want? Ride the LT or move to a lighter platform? Assuming you really want to stay with the LT then don't focus on the weight. As others have pointed out the right techniques and riding mechanics are the only thing standing in your way and you can master this machine.

The Ride like a Pro series would be a good place to start.

Just pursue your passion and it will all fall into place.

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #38 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:13 pm

I should have added that you should put the bike in 1st gear before trying to lift it ( I forget this too). Otherwise taking the top box off would make it impossible for me to lift my K1200LT. A lot depends on the surface you have to work with and your height.

Some recovery combinations just won't work for me at 6'4" and 74 yrs old even tho I'm 220 lbs. If anything being shorter would help some - I think.

Also from others - Does his LT have those damn linked brakes? That could explain his parking lot maneuvering problems. I blame it for mine....
post #39 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Thanks for the video, I will try this next time.

This sure looks easy enough. Just hope I don't go too far the other way and drop her on the other side :-)
post #40 of 40 Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:59 pm

It's a heavy bike that doesn't like low speed turns tight turn's. I dropped mine once with my new girl friend on back our first ride together nol ess. LOL thankfully my ego survived as did my Lady. Watch the video for lifting the bike it's how I picked mine up.

Some don't's to remember

Don't hit the brakes at low speed with the bar cranked over she'll drop on you fast.

Don't forget to plan your landing its not always possible but pay close attention to the slope in my case the ground sloped away on the right I didn't see that and got to learn how to pick it up thanks to the video.

Don't get into loose rock or gravel if your foot slips or rolls on a rock you're going to have a problem.

This is especially true when your backing up I've had more then a few close calls where my foot slipped, use the reverse.

Don't try to make a sharp u-turn the bike doesn't like it plan your turn ya its extra work but it will pay for itself.

Don't at first try to stop with only one leg down sure fire way to have a problem.

Don't forget to pay attention to the wind when you stop a stiff cross wind will knock you over if your not on top of it.

Don't give up its a wonderful machine with a lot to offer but its not a bike for the inexperienced take your time you will learn.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.

09 K1200 LT
Project LT:

Future plans

University Place, WA
Riding since 1969

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in