I wasn't considering an LT but I think I found a bit of a bargain. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

Question I wasn't considering an LT but I think I found a bit of a bargain.

While I like what the K1200LT has to offer in ride quality and performance, I'm also a bit spooked by it maybe not being as dependable as I'd like in the long run. I could be way off base (and correct me if I'm wrong) but is thing any more prone to problems then other bikes?

Anyways, what's got me thinking about this bike again is that they seem to be pretty affordable when purchased secondhand.

I'm in Atlantic Canada, where prices seem to be the highest in the country and I just saw a dealer selling a 2006 K1200LT with 70,000 klms (43,500 miles), it looks like it's loaded and in very good condition and they're asking $10,300.00 for it.

Seems like a lot of bike and going pretty cheap too IMHO. This is about the best deal around here so far. If I were to get a new touring bike, Harley, Victory, Honda or BMW, it would be well over twice that amount. With the money that I'd save by getting a used one, there'd be a huge pile of money left over to deal with any potential problems.

Am I making any sense here? What's your guys' opinions on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 6:15 pm

Re: I wasn't considering an LT but I think I found a bit of a bargain.

Try to get the price down a little bit and if there is "a huge pile of $ left over" then go for it. I have put 18000 trouble free mile on my bike in the last 16 months. Lots of folks on here with well over 100,000
post #3 of 23 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 6:16 pm

You won't be sorry you got it! Not sure where you are out here but only having the one dealer in Moncton is a problem. If you are not afraid to get your hands dirty and do some of your own maintenance, the cost to run one of these is not an issue. Have you heard your Harley buddies talking about the cost of their servicing at the local stealership! Ouch!! There are a few of us around here that can go pretty deep if need be. I've had an 02 for a few years and have not had any issues, except for a recent electrical glitch, which was caused by the last owner!! Thanks to the wisdom on this forum I had it up and running in no time.

The ride and comfort of this thing is fantastic! If you have a SO she will thank you as well when she heads out with you.

Oh ya, that price sounds pretty good for out here.

Take the plunge!

2002 K1200LT

post #4 of 23 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 6:29 pm

I can't speak to price specifically since I understand there is a significant difference between US and Canada on these things, however in general these things are a good deal when you let the original owner take the hit.

Obviously before you buy you want to test ride it and look for things like slipping clutch, proper operation of all the gizmos (Cruise, ABS, Windshield, center stand and so on) and if possible get any service records to review that may be available.

I guess in my mind it boils down to this: are you handy enough (and willing) to do regular maintenance and minor to moderate repairs? When you consider that to change the air filter you have to take off all the tupperware and remove the fuel tank, 6 hours of mechanic wages for this activity can quickly start to offset the bargain that these things are.

From my time on the forum your big-ticket possibilities are a clutch are a final drive going out (although I believe a 2006 is past that problem), or the dreaded ABS failure. Any of these can easily cost you a couple thousand (well, maybe not the final drive) but even if you had all these failures (which you probably would not have any of them) you are still in the black compared to a new bike based on what you stated. I love my LT more every time I tend to throw my hat in the 'do it' ring, unless you are going to want to run to the dealer for all your general maintenance, in which case it really depends on what you deem an acceptable cost of ownership budget.
post #5 of 23 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Well I have had my LT for a whole week now , 2007 , gotta love this ride ! I am in Ontario bike has 18,000 km and in line with ur pricing .
Took to my reg. shop for the new tires I had , a full fluid change , after 4 hrs the tires , rear drive and engine oil c/w new brake pads had been completed .
I had printed off the 101 on brake fluid change and air filter as well , they didn't want to touch the brake issue and didn't think I wanted to camp out waiting for an air filter change !
So being a farmer and having to repair equipment daily I will maybe have to refine my tolerances , lol , and have a go at it ...
Or should I bite it and take to BMW dealer and have it done and are there advantages re diagnostic check at dealer re this is a new ride ?
Respect to all !
post #6 of 23 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbucker
While I like what the K1200LT has to offer in ride quality and performance, I'm also a bit spooked by it maybe not being as dependable as I'd like in the long run. I could be way off base (and correct me if I'm wrong) but is thing any more prone to problems then other bikes?

Anyways, what's got me thinking about this bike again is that they seem to be pretty affordable when purchased secondhand.

I'm in Atlantic Canada, where prices seem to be the highest in the country and I just saw a dealer selling a 2006 K1200LT with 70,000 klms (43,500 miles), it looks like it's loaded and in very good condition and they're asking $10,300.00 for it.

Seems like a lot of bike and going pretty cheap too IMHO. This is about the best deal around here so far. If I were to get a new touring bike, Harley, Victory, Honda or BMW, it would be well over twice that amount. With the money that I'd save by getting a used one, there'd be a huge pile of money left over to deal with any potential problems.

Am I making any sense here? What's your guys' opinions on this?
Price aside, I have had my LT for 10 years 230,000 mile, one rear end bearing, Clutch slave cylinder, and a bearing in the transmission at 204,000. orginal clutch still going...Plus normal stuff shocks, etc.

Bill Jennings, fhp
Denison, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW States
BMW years and miles, 32 years 500K+

AMA, CMA, IBA, POG, MSF, FHP, etc

'99 K1200lt
'76 R900/6
Various Vintage Dirt Bikes
-Greeves (Sold), Pentons, Hodaka, etc.

Remember you are not lost till you run out of gas!
post #7 of 23 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Keep in mind, that on most forums, we come on here to figure out issues and get help, so the LT at first glance doesn't seem reliable.

But there's a lot of bikes out there, running just fine and you'll never see them post on here.

Jeff

2007 K1200LT Black
1971 Piper Cherokee 180
1975 Honda 250 Enduro
1968 Yamaha 250
1968 Honda 90
post #8 of 23 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Goalie, BTW I actually live in Moncton, where the only BMW motorcycle dealership in the Maritimes is located. So, I guess I'm covered in that respect.

Copperstatetour, I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I have been doing the regular maintenance on my current ride, a 2003 Vulcan 1600 Classic. Just the regular stuff like oil and oil filter changes, air filter change, coolant change, brake fluid change, changing brake pads, also did the cam chain tensioner extender job myself, final drive gear oil change, changed out OEM rear shocks with Progressive shocks and also replaced front springs with Progressives, electrical jobs, etc...

I do know some Harley owner's but have never had a discussion with them concerning their maintenance experiences, so it's on the pricey side, is it? It seems to me that the Harleys should be easier to work on and therefor cheaper to maintain.

FlyK12LT,
"Keep in mind, that on most forums, we come on here to figure out issues and get help, so the LT at first glance doesn't seem reliable. But there's a lot of bikes out there, running just fine and you'll never see them post on here."

I hear you, every brand of bike with an online forum has a stream of complaints about that particular bike, so it doesn't truly reflect how reliable a bike is since they all seem to have tons of complaints and problems, even the Goldwing has problems according to some of those forums.

To get a used Goldwing comparable to this 2006 K1200LT, it would probably be twice the asking price. The Goldwings are really pricey and seem to hold their value better.

BTW, does this 2006 K1200LT have the "wizzy" servo-assisted brakes that are said to be good performers but much more nit-picky to maintain?

BTW, here's a link to the ad for that bike that I'm talking about:
http://www.atlanticmotoplex.ca/motor...d12f9f2ff4.htm

Last edited by Humbucker; Oct 5th, 2012 at 9:37 pm.
post #9 of 23 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 10:34 pm

I bought my 02 needing a new clutch, so got it really cheap and did the repair myself. So I have, according to kelly blue book, less money in it than the trade in value..which is why I bought it in the first place. The bad news is: This thing rides so smooth, has gotten me up to 55 mpg on the road, and handles quite well , now I'm thinking about keeping the damn thing. That was not my intention at all.

Like any bike forum out there, most posts are about the "ah shits" and not the good things, so you get a distorted view of dependability..my bike now has 102,000 miles on it and runs as good and as strong as my Honda Valkyrie. Though it is much worse to work on there really isn't anything so far that has been something a mechanically inclined person couldn't do. Just takes longer getting to the interior goodies, thanks to that sexy body..

I even have some plans this coming spring, on riding from Washington state to see my sister in chicago, then out to Arizona to see my daughter, then back to Washington. Not many 100K plus bikes would I consider for that...GET the bike, Ride the crap out of it and Enjoy it.

02 K1200LTE (103K)
01 Honda Valkyrie (49K)
1998 Goldwing Aspencade (58K)
65 Chevelle coupe
USAF, E7 retired
(509-760-6382) if you are in the area and need help
post #10 of 23 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Wasn't 2006 the last year with the servo-assisted brakes?

How big of a deal is that? I know that the servo-assisted brakes worked great but are a pain to work on and can be expensive to repair. Is that enough of a reason to consider passing and getting a 2007 or newer?

I just look at it like this, you get a slightly used bike that the original owner already took the big depreciation hit and babied his bike, now you buy it for less then half of what he paid for it seven years ago.

If God forbid, you end up with a FD issue, or ABS brake issue, clutch issue, etc.... The money saved by buying the pampered used bike makes spending on repairs easier to take, if that makes sense.

Last edited by Humbucker; Oct 6th, 2012 at 9:42 am.
post #11 of 23 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 1:21 pm

I've put 54k on my y2k since I bought it had 20k on clock when purchased. 5yrs and no issues. Used to be paranoid after finding this site but not anymore.
post #12 of 23 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 4:48 pm

+1 on bmwriderm!

It's great to get the wealth of knowledge that this forum gives out, just in case something comes up, but 1 year and 10k miles later, my '03 50k LT is doing great. And, when you've taken the tupperware off a couple times, it's no biggie to get to the goods for maintenance.

Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #13 of 23 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 5:48 pm Thread Starter

Well, it's certainly reassuring to hear that these LTs aren't as unreliable as some claim.

BTW, I've read other comments saying that the K1200LT is about as bland a ride as a Honda Accord, the powerplant is too smooth with no personality. Just no fun to ride. Maybe this was from Harley riders though.

FWIW, I've read the same type of putdowns directed towards the Goldwing too.

I only had the chance to do a very short demo on an LT many years ago, so I wasn't able to really get a proper feel for what this bike is all about. I'm guessing that it's a more fun and spirited riding experience then driving a Honda Accord.

I remember feeling that it felt top-heavy and that the brakes were way more powerful that anything I had ridden up to that point. It had good acceleration and I think that it was very agile too. But like I said, that was quite a few years ago.

For a rather large bike, are you guys happy with the performance, is it fun to ride or is it geared more towards touring?
post #14 of 23 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 6:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Spin the motor up over 5000rpms and you will find out how much of a "tourer" it is. Just make sure no one is front of you....cause you are going to run them over! Then go find some curves...bet you never ask if it is a tourer again.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #15 of 23 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Sorry, I guess the LT might seem bland to a guy that rides a 1000cc sport bike, but as someone that went from a GL1800 to the LT, I can tell you it is a world of difference in ride excitement, and the technology is much better, and the luggage is a lot stouter than the GW. Always amazes me that the LT can be bought for so much cheaper....You will be rewarded if you buy this bike!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 23 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 7:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The FD just went out on my LT. I shipped it to charlievt for rebuild after all of about 45 minutes to pull it out. New bearing, new pinion seal, new pivot bearings. My total cost after re- installation is just over 600 bucks. The FD is not that big of a deal and all you need to buy extra to remove it is a 30mm socket and a 12mm hex. I bet they have those up there, eh? Buy, ride, repair, repeat. It's a great bike and this is the best forum group ever.

post #17 of 23 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: I wasn't considering an LT but I think I found a bit of a bargain.

"Always amazes me that the LT can be bought for so much cheaper"

Yeah, by the time the ones around here get to be seven or eight years old, they list for about a third of their original sticker price. That's quite a drop, especially when you see comparable Goldwings go for twice that amount. I don't know why the K1200LTs drop so much but it's good for bargain-hunters like me.

Heck, this 2006 LT is going for used Vulcan Nomad/Yamaha Roadstar prices!
So, these things can go like a scalded cat, huh? I'm not surprised. That's good news.

I'm not in a position to buy anything right yet but hopefully sooner rather then later. This 2006 is very enticing indeed, it would be nice if they don't sell it in the near future, I might be able to make a move on this. I think that it would be a smart choice in a used motorcycle, a lot of premium bike at a working man's price.
post #18 of 23 Old Oct 7th, 2012, 12:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbucker

BTW, I've read other comments saying that the K1200LT is about as bland a ride as a Honda Accord, the powerplant is too smooth with no personality. Just no fun to ride. Maybe this was from Harley riders though.

For a rather large bike, are you guys happy with the performance, is it fun to ride or is it geared more towards touring?
Go find a good twisty road and you will definitely blow your HD buddies away. The wife and i were running up 6%grade at over 90 mph today and at one point were running about 110, still pulling hard, and the stereo was nice and clear, even with the helmet on.
I love the linked servo assisted brakes.
post #19 of 23 Old Oct 7th, 2012, 6:26 am Thread Starter

I figured that the comments about this bike being boring to ride had to be off base, thanks for blowing that out of the water!

BTW, the bike that I spotted has 70,000 kilometers on the clock (43,500 miles), that's not a whole lot of mileage on these bikes is it?

Getting back to the reliability question, for a while I was convinced that Victory motorcycles were a safe bet, pretty simple layout with a "bullet-proof" engine, blah blah blah, but after spending time on a couple of Victory forums, they seem to have a few people that are less then happy with their purchase. Goes to show, anything can fail and that the term "bullet-proof" is thrown around way too much.

It also comes down to what the dealership for a particular brand of bike is like to deal with. Here in my town, the Victory dealer doesn't give me a good impression, by shear coincidence, I read a post on a Victory forum posted by a local guy here that bought a brand new Victory bagger from the Victory dealer here in my town and after six weeks, he had to bring it in for tranny work and the shop's mechanic went and botched the job and ruined the transmission. This guy was without a bike for two months and had to fight to get the issue resolved. The dealer was no help and he eventually went through other channels to get Victory to give him a refund.

So much for bullet-proof, eh?

At least the local BMW dealer is much more professional, they are the largest motorcycle dealership east of Montreal and have a huge store with many factory-trained technicians. They are a multi-brand dealer but BMW is probably their biggest line and they have at least two certified techs that specialize in BMW motorcycles and have all the BMW factory training.

I have the impression that if I ever did have an issue with my bike, I'd probably get better treatment from the local BMW dealer then I would from the Victory place. At least I'd be confident that a competent mechanic is working on my bike.

Last edited by Humbucker; Oct 7th, 2012 at 6:32 am.
post #20 of 23 Old Oct 7th, 2012, 10:04 am

I think you recall your test accurately. It is comfortable, agile, and powerful with great brakes. It IS top-heavy (or just heavy) in the garage or the driveway, once underway it's not. It wouldn't be my first choice to just hop on and go for a local run to the store, but out on the open road it's a top choice.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #21 of 23 Old Oct 7th, 2012, 2:02 pm

I did a test drive on a goldwing and was completely underwhelmed. It's designed like many good Japanese cars and bikes in that they've refined it so much, it's completely without personality on the road. It just lumbers along.

The LT on the other hand, has a nice growl when you push it. Plus it's a kick in the curves. I rode with some buddies of mine where 2 had HD's and the other a goldwing.
They couldn't keep up with me when we were in the curves at all.

When we ran into some rain, the protection of the LT is much better as well. We all had good rain gear, but with the fairing and windshield, My visibility was better and I didn't catch as much rain.

Jeff

2007 K1200LT Black
1971 Piper Cherokee 180
1975 Honda 250 Enduro
1968 Yamaha 250
1968 Honda 90
post #22 of 23 Old Oct 7th, 2012, 7:29 pm

I just did a longer run with a colleague where we had twisties, straight runs. I was on a 2003 LT and he was on an 800cc Honda VFR. On the straights, I was out in front of him (don't want to incriminate myself by posting the speed.. so that gives you an idea), on the twisties, I was in front of him. It could be that he's a less experienced rider, but the LT can certainly hold its own going up/down mountains or on straights.

I ride it daily to work (and is nimble enough to squeeze throught cars) and on the weekends. I love riding it with the local Brisbane motorcycle riding group which has all sorts of bikes and we take it up into the mountains... the full on sports bikes with experienced riders leave me in their dust going up twisties, but then they don't have the cruise control, heated grips and seats, adjustable windscreen (that bears the brunt of the bug bath) and 6 CD changer with four speaker surround sound system that gets louder and softer automatically depending the the revs you're pullilng.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0595.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	36733  

Last edited by joseph_p; Oct 7th, 2012 at 8:21 pm.
post #23 of 23 Old Oct 7th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph_p
I just did a longer run with a colleague where we had twisties, straight runs. I was on a 2003 LT and he was on an 800cc Honda VFR. On the straights, I was out in front of him (don't want to incriminate myself by posting the speed.. so that gives you an idea), on the twisties, I was in front of him. It could be that he's a less experienced rider, but the LT can certainly hold its own going up/down mountains or on straights.

I ride it daily to work (and is nimble enough to squeeze throught cars) and on the weekends. I love riding it with the local Brisbane motorcycle riding group which has all sorts of bikes and we take it up into the mountains... the full on sports bikes with experienced riders leave me in their dust going up twisties, but then they don't have the cruise control, heated grips and seats, adjustable windscreen (that bears the brunt of the bug bath) and 6 CD changer with four speaker surround sound system that gets louder and softer automatically depending the the revs you're pullilng.
I have both an LT and a VFR. The VFR is quicker through the twisties, but the LT is no slouch. The LT would be even quicker if the center stand didn't catch the pavement in the leans. But that was two-up pulling a trailer.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in