I got a new bike.......well, a new front tire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

I got a new bike.......well, a new front tire

I just installed a new Metzeler on the front today.
It sure feels like a new bike. Amazing what a new front can do.
Got 16,000 from the old one.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 6:48 pm

Re: I got a new bike.......well, a new front tire

Can't beat that! Have a blast on the new bike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rudy
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

'03 BMW K1200LT (a keeper)
'08 BMW F800ST (fun fun fun)
'99 BMW R1100RT (sold her!)
'84 Honda Magna V45 (nice while she lasted)
'80 Yamaha YZ125 (rest her soul)
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 8:00 pm

Know what you mean, new skins front and back, feels like a new bike.

Got a little over 20K on the front, it was cupping. Rears don't last as long, less than 10K.

Trying a new tire combo, Metzeler in front, Bridgestone in back, feels good. Have determined that an Avon Storm is not a good tire for the rear.

B D R

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 8:09 pm

Whew! You had me worried there, Jesse. I thought maybe you ditched the LT.

Good deal on the new front tire. I never got that much out of one.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 8:14 pm

Enjoy the new shoes - just installed a new set on my bike.
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 10:50 pm Thread Starter

Arrow Re: I got a new bike.......well, a new front tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Whew! You had me worried there, Jesse. I thought maybe you ditched the LT.

Good deal on the new front tire. I never got that much out of one.
No way, Howard......

She's a keeper. Too good a ride 2-up. My wife
wouldn't let me get rid of it. My youngest son
has claimed the pillion, as soon as my wife
gets her Spyder.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #7 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2012, 2:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Know what you mean, new skins front and back, feels like a new bike.

Got a little over 20K on the front, it was cupping. Rears don't last as long, less than 10K.

Trying a new tire combo, Metzeler in front, Bridgestone in back, feels good. Have determined that an Avon Storm is not a good tire for the rear.
I'm running the same combination. Put the first BT on
3,000 miles ago. I was hoping for some extra miles
from the Bridgestone. The ride is great.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

post #8 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Here must be someone on this forum who is wearing Wellingtons on the left and flip flops on the right foot .
Why do you put different tires on front and back? Can give someone a explanation to that?
This is dangerous, because your bike develop a different behaviour front to back.
Please dont take this wrong, everyone should know what he is doing but dont play with your live.
Here in Germany it is even forbidden by low to use different tires on that bike and this has a reason.
So be careful dont play with your live.

Manfred
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2012, 1:46 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreuter
Here must be someone on this forum who is wearing Wellingtons on the left and flip flops on the right foot .
Why do you put different tires on front and back? Can give someone a explanation to that?
This is dangerous, because your bike develop a different behaviour front to back.
Please dont take this wrong, everyone should know what he is doing but dont play with your live.
Here in Germany it is even forbidden by low to use different tires on that bike and this has a reason.
So be careful dont play with your live.

Manfred
I've been running Metz.880 front & Bridgestone BT020 rear for over 100,000 miles. What difference can it possibly make. Both tires are OEM tires for the K1200LT. Both tires are Bias Ply tires. Even if you run the same brand of tire front & back the tread is completely different.

I can guarantee you that the bike & suspension can't tell the difference. This is the best mileage combination for front & rear tires that a lot of us have found. This combination has the best equal wear front & rear. In my opinion because the front & rear tires wear equally it is a very safe combination. On my 2000LT both front & rear tire are just now at the wear bars at almost 18,000 miles.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 14 Old Oct 4th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
I've been running Metz.880 front & Bridgestone BT020 rear for over 100,000 miles. What difference can it possibly make. Both tires are OEM tires for the K1200LT. Both tires are Bias Ply tires. Even if you run the same brand of tire front & back the tread is completely different.

I can guarantee you that the bike & suspension can't tell the difference. This is the best mileage combination for front & rear tires that a lot of us have found. This combination has the best equal wear front & rear. In my opinion because the front & rear tires wear equally it is a very safe combination. On my 2000LT both front & rear tire are just now at the wear bars at almost 18,000 miles.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 5th, 2012, 7:54 am

Ok, you Guy's should know what you are doing. Maybe a mixed pair is good enough for straights and up to 80 mi /h and I know a lot of LT owners do this in the states.
In the German Papers to the Bike it says " Reifenpaar nur von einem Hersteller zulässig" translated "Tires front and rear are only of one manufacturer permitted".
If Police stops me with a mixed pair of tires over here they take the bike of the road.
Once again please don't take it as a criticism from my side on that what you are doing, just wonna let you know it is not safe even if you mean that.
There change also 100 k mi not my mind, sorry.

Manfred
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 1:46 pm

I like the metz on front and after running the metz on rear a few times I just installed my 2nd brigs on the rear. Does not get as noisy as metz and have also got more mileage from the brigs. Brigs was quieter when in turns when worn out then the metz was with 8k on it.
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 6th, 2012, 11:20 pm

I also run the Metzler on the front and the Bridgestone on the rear. I works like Saddleman said. The Metzler on the rear wore out faster than I thought so I found a Bridgestone at a better price and thought I would try it. I can't tell the difference other than I get better milage with the Bridgestone. The Bridgestone front on the other hand wears out faster than the Metzler so I keep the Metzler on the front.

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 7th, 2012, 3:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreuter
Ok, you Guy's should know what you are doing. Maybe a mixed pair is good enough for straights and up to 80 mi /h and I know a lot of LT owners do this in the states.
In the German Papers to the Bike it says " Reifenpaar nur von einem Hersteller zulässig" translated "Tires front and rear are only of one manufacturer permitted".
If Police stops me with a mixed pair of tires over here they take the bike of the road.
Once again please don't take it as a criticism from my side on that what you are doing, just wonna let you know it is not safe even if you mean that.
There change also 100 k mi not my mind, sorry.

Manfred
I think you are confusing "known to be safe" and "known to be unsafe" with "safe" and "unsafe."

Manufacturer's include statements like the one you reference due to the fact that they simply don't have the resources to rest all possible combinations of tires and such that owner's may choose to install on their bikes. So, they test one combination thoroughly and then approve that combination as being safe. This does NOT mean that other combinations are not safe, it just means that no testing has been done and thus it is not known if they are safe or not safe.

Unless you have tested another combination of tires and have data that suggests that combination is somehow unsafe, you can't proclaim it unsafe simply because it is not the safe combination the manufacturer specifies.

There is a similar issue in the aviation world. Most certified airplanes have a specification called the "maximum demonstrated crosswind." This is required by the FAA to be at least 0.2 x Vso (twice the power-off stall speed). The manufacturer has to list this speed and it must meet the FAA minimum, however, the actual cross wind component that a given airplane can handle may be much higher than either the FAA minimum or the value "demonstrated" during flight tests. The demonstrated value is simply the capability that the manufacturer had the time and resources to demonstrate. It may be that they simple didn't have time to keep testing until they found the ultimate limiting wind speed.

So, if you attempt to land in a cross wind greater than the demonstrated amount, you are now a test pilot. You may well be successful, but you are operating in a regime that the airplane has not tested. Same with mixing tire brands. Any given combination may well be very safe and perform very well, but you are now a test rider for BMW as you are exploring an area they likely did not explore.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in