Help with V.O.I.C.E. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 2:34 am Thread Starter

Help with V.O.I.C.E.

Please help.

I have just bought a 2002 LT which came equiped with a pre-historic GPS system, integrated to a BMW VOICE intercom - not this is NOT VOICE II.

I cant seem to find ANY reference to this system anywhere on the web.

I am trying to figure out how to disconnect and remove the GPS but maintain the RADIO/INTERCOM function.

There is a toggle switch mounted on the side of the GPS display which apparently toggles both the hand grip controls and also the audio source.

Any guidance as to location of wiring diagrams or anyone with experience of this particular edition of BWM intercom would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03543.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	897.4 KB
ID:	36676  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 9:12 am

Re: Help with V.O.I.C.E.

You should be able to simply remove the GPS and it's cradle from the mount. Radio/intercom is not dependent on the GPS.

If you are interested in adding a more customisible intercom, drop me a PM as I have an Autocom Super Pro AVI available.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 9:47 am

Cool Re: Help with V.O.I.C.E.

David, your choice of "prehistoric" for a descriptor of this system is quite accurate. This is either the old BC-1 or BC-2 Comm System. They pre-dated the original J&M BC-3 Comm System which was the first actual reliable Comm System before the VOICE Systems. I would get rid of it and go to an Autocom, or consider Bluetooth. The old BC units were nothing but trouble. I had one on my '00 LT when I bought it new, and had it replaced under warranty with the J&M BC-3 which served me well for many years.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
David, your choice of "prehistoric" for a descriptor of this system is quite accurate. This is either the old BC-1 or BC-2 Comm System. They pre-dated the original J&M BC-3 Comm System which was the first actual reliable Comm System before the VOICE Systems. I would get rid of it and go to an Autocom, or consider Bluetooth. The old BC units were nothing but trouble. I had one on my '00 LT when I bought it new, and had it replaced under warranty with the J&M BC-3 which served me well for many years.

John
John,

I respectfully disagree. This picture is indeed a photo of the Voice I. Better than the BC-1 and the BC-2 but not by much and certainly no match for the J&M ComSystem.

dwilson1191,

Here is the manual for the Voice I. I'm not sure if I successfully attached the manual to this post. If not, I'll send you a PM with the manual..................I hope!

HTH,

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Voice I Manual.pdf (207.4 KB, 446 views)
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 3:02 pm

Red face Re: Help with V.O.I.C.E.

Well Bill, I gotta tell ya, that sure does not look like any of the "Voice" units I have seen posted on this site. The ones I have seen have all had the rotary dial on them. But I guess what I am thinking of is the "Voice II" units.

The picture that the OP had as well as your manual picture looks an awful lot like what we refferred to as the BC-1 or BC-2 series Comm Units. The BC-3 which replaced those first two did not look at all like them with the exposed pots, and ports that didn't really get you any Aux inputs, etc.

But I guess there was a wierd looking original Voice unit with those pots. First time I really even thought that they could go back in time as far as the looks and functioning of the Comm Systems! But there's a first time for everything i guess.

Tks for the correction,
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jusbill1
John,

I respectfully disagree. This picture is indeed a photo of the Voice I. Better than the BC-1 and the BC-2 but not by much and certainly no match for the J&M ComSystem.

dwilson1191,

Here is the manual for the Voice I. I'm not sure if I successfully attached the manual to this post. If not, I'll send you a PM with the manual..................I hope!

HTH,

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #6 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 5:05 pm

John,

I had one of those BC-1s on my '99 LT and it was a real plain looking piece of work - not much to it, and it didn't work very well either. The BC-2 was very similar looking but added a switch or a button if I remember correctly.

Then BMW contracted with J&M for the ComSystem which was the best one of the bunch in my opinion. I had my BC-1 replaced with this model under warranty and it works as well today as the day I installed it. After that, the Voice I, which David has was introduced, and then they came out with the Voice II which looks, and is, totally different. I'm not 100% certain, but I think all of them were made by a different manufacturer. I keep the manuals for these things (ComSystem , Voice I, Voice II) just in case somebody like David needs them.

Cheers,
Bill
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2012, 6:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

I'm making some progress and recently found this website

https://www.bmwmc.net/bulletinsearch.asp?A=6

just click on the search again link and search away, contains downloadable installation guides and BMW service bulletins.

I'm not sure who's site it is, but there is a wealth of information here if you're prepared to dig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in